Victory or Death Personal story step

Hello,I've been trying to finish PS on one of my later toons and I've stumbled upon ages old bug DCing me during/after random cutscenes. I am just missing that last story step and have been just booted out on transition back to ship after defeating mouth of zhaitan - considering how timey whole instance is you can imagine how fun was that....

Now to the question proper - somewhere in 2015 AN have split Arah story mode in PS instance, but according to wiki doing PS instance still counts for completion of Arah story: there is however, no information I could find confirming or denying it working like this in oposite way. So here I am asking if anyone knows in here if I can pass that story step by just doing story mode of arah dungeon?

(would be really handy if I could because even if that bug perisisted into dungeons proper, which I have seen no reports of, it'd mean all 5 of players would have to be booted out to force restart of whole ordeal as opposed to "anyone" in PS instance)

Thanks in advance for any help o/

I used to have this issue chronically on personal story and as you have discovered, Victory or Death is probably the most painful time if you are have having it.To answer your questions: No completing Arah explorables do not count unfortunately. Unless something has changed in the 10 months.

Now on to the problem itself, I have a kind of good news bad news thing about the issue itself.At the time I was having it, I was working tech support for an internet provider and since the only game I was playing that had this issue was GW2 (no other game or service that I used had any issue) I assumed the issue was Guild Wars 2 specific.One of my co-workers came to me at one point and told me her son was having the same problem with the same game and wondered if I could troubleshoot it for them and I related I was having the exact same issue and always at the same point.When a cutscene started was always when the issue triggered, and it was always the same cutscenes that were a crapshoot to trigger the issue or not. Furthering my suspicion that the issue was indeed completely GW2.No one else I talked to in game had this issue, though I would see a reddit thread every few weeks.

Well after banging heads with a few of the real nerds at work however, I learned that the issue was actually a certain serial number range of our modems which didn't play nicely with a very small number of games. I also learned that our company was going to do absolutely nothing about it since the number of impacted modems wasn't significant in relation to the number of people experiencing the problem. They would delay customers by forcing them to repeatedly troubleshoot, and only then, when the customer demanded a technician's visit, we would swap the modem.Often with another impacted device.

I was lucky enough to work at the place and just bring home a new modem that I knew wasn't impacted. And boom, problem solved.

So that story told, call up your internet provider and tell them this (assuming you have done these things):

1. You have troubleshot the modem by powercycling and reseating all relevant cables
  2. You experience the issue with a direct ethernet cabled connection to the modem not just wirelessly or through a router.
  3. You have powercycled your computer, updated all relevant drivers and uninstalled and reinstalled the game

Then just politely tell them that you beleive the quickest way for this issue to be resolved would be for you to bring your modem down to the nearest retail location and swap it out for another. Don't be rude, don't be angry, don't play the consumer martyr, just say this is the reasonable way to handle it.Get them to note your account for the swap.If the CS person is decent they may even be able to tell you if a different model than yours is available there and have it put aside for you.

TLDR:No to the explorable, yes to a new modem + plus some tips on getting it swapped

@mindcircus.1506 said:I used to have this issue chronically on personal story and as you have discovered, Victory or Death is probably the most painful time if you are have having it.To answer your questions: No completing Arah explorables do not count unfortunately. Unless something has changed in the 10 months.

Now on to the problem itself, I have a kind of good news bad news thing about the issue itself.At the time I was having it, I was working tech support for an internet provider and since the only game I was playing that had this issue was GW2 (no other game or service that I used had any issue) I assumed the issue was Guild Wars 2 specific.One of my co-workers came to me at one point and told me her son was having the same problem with the same game and wondered if I could troubleshoot it for them and I related I was having the exact same issue and always at the same point.When a cutscene started was always when the issue triggered, and it was always the same cutscenes that were a crapshoot to trigger the issue or not. Furthering my suspicion that the issue was indeed completely GW2.No one else I talked to in game had this issue, though I would see a reddit thread every few weeks.

Well after banging heads with a few of the real nerds at work however, I learned that the issue was actually a certain serial number range of our modems which didn't play nicely with a very small number of games. I also learned that our company was going to do absolutely nothing about it since the number of impacted modems wasn't significant in relation to the number of people experiencing the problem. They would delay customers by forcing them to repeatedly troubleshoot, and only then, when the customer demanded a technician's visit, we would swap the modem.Often with another impacted device.

I was lucky enough to work at the place and just bring home a new modem that I knew wasn't impacted. And boom, problem solved.

So that story told, call up your internet provider and tell them this (assuming you have done these things):

1. You have troubleshot the modem by powercycling and reseating all relevant cables
  2. You experience the issue with a direct ethernet cabled connection to the modem not just wirelessly or through a router.
  3. You have powercycled your computer, updated all relevant drivers and uninstalled and reinstalled the game

Then just politely tell them that you beleive the quickest way for this issue to be resolved would be for you to bring your modem down to the nearest retail location and swap it out for another. Don't be rude, don't be angry, don't play the consumer martyr, just say this is the reasonable way to handle it.Get them to note your account for the swap.If the CS person is decent they may even be able to tell you if a different model than yours is available there and have it put aside for you.

TLDR:No to the explorable, yes to a new modem + plus some tips on getting it swapped

That is interesting. First time seeing anyone mention that it is a hardware issue. Did anyone ever mention what aspect of those affected modems was the cause?

well, crap. it seems then I'll have to play weirdo tricks to ever complete that story on that toon... or just wait for quite a bit of time with this.

because in the location I live atm and will live for quite a bit now I am not owner of the modem in question, so swapping it is outside of my field of possibilities, so I'm down to either postponing whole ordeal untill I get back to previous living place (where no such issues were present which could support hardware thesis - I assumed it being more of a character specific case because when doing same thing for thief I had no issues whatsoever) or prolly get the game on laptop, exploit that thing with changing ports the game uses and hope it'll work at my uni xD

thanks guys for answers tho, and if you have more info on what exacly could be at fault in those modems (and maybe we could built up a list of affected modems?) I'm open to hear about it in this thread too :)

PS. AN but since PS instance allows us to pass story mode, it'd not be that illogical to allow us to complete the PS "the old way", thanks ;)

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@mindcircus.1506 said:I used to have this issue chronically on personal story and as you have discovered, Victory or Death is probably the most painful time if you are have having it.To answer your questions: No completing Arah explorables do not count unfortunately. Unless something has changed in the 10 months.

Now on to the problem itself, I have a kind of good news bad news thing about the issue itself.At the time I was having it, I was working tech support for an internet provider and since the only game
I
was playing that had this issue was GW2 (no other game or service that I used had any issue) I assumed the issue was Guild Wars 2 specific.One of my co-workers came to me at one point and told me her son was having the same problem with the same game and wondered if I could troubleshoot it for them and I related I was having the exact same issue and always at the same point.When a cutscene started was always when the issue triggered, and it was always the same cutscenes that were a crapshoot to trigger the issue or not. Furthering my suspicion that the issue was indeed completely GW2.No one else I talked to in game had this issue, though I would see a reddit thread every few weeks.

Well after banging heads with a few of the
real
nerds at work however, I learned that the issue was actually a certain serial number range of our modems which didn't play nicely with a very small number of games. I also learned that our company was going to do absolutely nothing about it since the number of impacted modems wasn't significant in relation to the number of people experiencing the problem. They would delay customers by forcing them to repeatedly troubleshoot, and only then, when the customer demanded a technician's visit, we would swap the modem.Often with another impacted device.

That is interesting. First time seeing anyone mention that it is a hardware issue. Did anyone ever mention what aspect of those affected modems was the cause?

Some kind of firmware issue. Both companies were pointing the finger at the other when I left and no one was really taking ownership of it to fix it.But like I say... there weren't a ton of people impacted.

@Boysenberry.1869 said:I've run into a lot of disconnects during cut-scenes in old content. What was recommended to me (and has thus far worked) is to spam skills during all cut-scenes. Also, if you're alone then I recommend skipping all possible cut-scenes immediately.

this does work for a lot of people suffering the DC-during-cutscene issues, but I dunno if it will help with the one described by @mindcircus.1506

@"Boysenberry.1869" said:I've run into a lot of disconnects during cut-scenes in old content. What was recommended to me (and has thus far worked) is to spam skills during all cut-scenes. Also, if you're alone then I recommend skipping all possible cut-scenes immediately.

well issue with those is that they are unskippable... (and spamming skills didn't help for me either) :/

btw people reporting those DCs in that other thread lists being DCed after cutscenes all the way up to PoF so far so I'm not sure how "in old content" applies in here really :/

Just offering up my personal experience. By "old-content" I mean the style of cut-scenes used in the Personal Story and Dungeons. Most of the cut-scenes there can be skipped and not skipping or spamming would sometimes disconnect me. I've disconnected from new style of dialogue on rare occasion but I've always felt the type of disconnects between the two styles were different.

Archived