How many of the professions do you play? - Page 2 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

How many of the professions do you play?

Comments

• DanAlcedo.3281DanAlcedo.3281 Member ✭✭✭✭

PvE: Warrior

WvW:
    Guardian
    Rev
    Ele
    Necro
    Engi

• Kylden Ar.3724Kylden Ar.3724 Member ✭✭✭✭

I have one of everything but Elementalist and Thief. I have one slot left for the keyfarm to use up all the birthday scrolls and other level up items.

I keep trying to like Ele as it was my main in GW1, but just can't get into it.

My mains were Mesmer, Ranger and Guard, but it's been slowly shifting to Ranger, Revenant, and Engineer.

How many times we gotta tell you GRIND IS NOT CONTENT there ANet?

Leader of Tyrian Adventure Corp [TACO], [RaW][TACO] Alliance, Kaineng.

Mesmer, Guardian, Ranger, Necro and a new Engineer which I have fallen in love with so I guess this is my main. I have both elites unlocked and I'm enjoying running around ow as scrapper.

It's the first character I have actually leveled crafting for and started my daily time gated. Engineer has so much versatility - I dun care about meta but it sure is fun trying out different traits/abilities/weapons to get the job done.

• RedShark.9548RedShark.9548 Member ✭✭✭✭

I occasionally play others, have many equipped, but play mainly wvw and pvp, so im most comfortable with warrior and temd to stick to it, id say 80% of my 6k hours are on warrior

• Dahkeus.8243Dahkeus.8243 Member ✭✭✭
    "I'm a monkey that doesn't want to answer the question for reasons"

Question doesn't make sense. What do you mean by "play"? I mean, I've played all the classes to some degree, but I hardly touch most of them on any regular basis.

But I guess I'm a monkey, so what do I care?

• AzureTerra.1642AzureTerra.1642 Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 26, 2019

All of them to varying degrees.
    Guardian is the one with whom i have done all the story thus far.

I play Guardian (mostly core) exclusively, but tried other classes as well just to know which adversaries I will face.
    Why? Because I hate 'tricks' and 'tricky' professions in general (ever so called 'warriors' use their speedy bulls***t to disengage soo often that I literalyl cry in local for them to comeback and fite!!1) - thats pure and simple punch in your face with big stick.. or mace. I wish mace could punch even harder. Long live Guardian, bois!

Why would I need to play anything else when Mesmer has it all?

I only really enjoy guardian. I used to play a bunch of classes back when. On my current account, I have around 1.3k games on guardian, rev being the second highest on 22.

~ God Tier Guardian

• Omnicron.2467Omnicron.2467 Member ✭✭✭

Because I dislike Revenant's energy mechanic

Voted 1. I only started playing GW in March, -

Started with Necromancer and have really, really been enjoying it. I do want to try other classes eventually but at the moment I am just enjoying the game and progressing through the different zones/map completion, there is no real benefit for me to change classes and I can't see myself doing it in the near future either.

Maybe after I'm 100% Map progression and completed a few collections/ascended gear. I might add an alt. Currently however, that is a long way off.

To give you an idea, I'm 80 - working through heart of thorns as I'm trying to collect a couple of key pieces for my first weapon collection (Dark Harvest) - Judging by the amount of hours I'm plowed into this game already I can't even imagine how much play-ability this game has, even without getting into alts.

In the 'good old days' I had enough time to spend an extortionate amount of time on 1 char and then still have time left over for alts. However that was prior to the whole wife, kid and 50 hour week came along =)

• tim.4596tim.4596 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2019

Mesmer, Ranger, Guardian, Engineer

I have all classes geared and levelled up to 80. I sometimes play them or do raids on them. But I wouldn't say that I'm putting any investment in any other class other than the 4 listed above. I think it's better to master/main a small amount of classes, rather than try and play all the class in the game. Plus unless you're farming something specific, which may require you to play multiple characters to do it faster, I haven't really come across the need or want to play all classes.

Besides Snow Crows website currently display 49 playable builds (see link below for a spreadsheet of each builds, or you can go directly on Snow Crows website). If you wrote that you can play 9 classes, are you telling me that you can play all 49 builds and have gear for all of them?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MALGCee7r4HO7nbOUUNpFUZ3X7B5KTPs2ol1AQFfxSU/edit?usp=sharing

1. Chronomancer is my main. I play boon Chrono in raids, and can also swap to power DPS, which offer really good damage, it's also an extremely versatile class in PvP. It does everything that I needs it to do :)

2. Firebrand/DH, I really enjoy Heal Firebrand gameplay it's great in PvE/PvP, and you can also easily tank bosses in raids with minstrel gear. I play DH mostly in Fractals, and with the same gear, I can swap to Quickbrand in Fractals. I enjoy Chronomancer much more, however since Guardian is an extremely situational class that can bring a lot of support to your team, I often find myself playing it, which is why it's in my list.

3. Ranger. Ranger used to be my main, I loved it, but I don't particularly like it anymore since it feels really weird to do melee attack with a ranger. I used to play it in Open World and WvW, but I only play its druid specs nowadays for Raids/Fractals.

4. Holosmith is my go to class if I need to do DPS, I really enjoy it's mechanics and rotation, and you can play it both power or condi, although I mostly only play it power.

I then play other professions/builds, but it's only very casually, which is why I don't think it's a good idea to include it in my list.

1. Thief, if I ever need to complete a map multiple times in open world for currency etc... sometimes in raids too, but not that often. In Qadim, it can be pretty useful if you're tanking or just as a general raid dps class. I may sometimes play it, however if I need to do significant damage I'd switch to Holosmith most of the time.

2. herald, I am working towards getting an alacrity renegade for situational reasons. But as I said it will mostly be a situational class, so I guess I won't end up playing it much. I have a magi herald (mostly for hand kiting at Deimos), and I mostly only play it for that. I have geared condi renegade too, but I don't enjoy the gameplay. Swapping between stances + weapon swap is not for me, too much double swapping.

3. Necromancer, I have it geared celestial for WvW, and also have a condi set for situational gameplay in PvE, however it's by far not my best class, nor do I have much interest in the class at all, hence why it's not in my list. My condi scourge is literally called "I Main Dhuum CM" ...

4. Warrior. I wasn't sure whether or not to include Warrior in the list. Back in HoT, when condi was meta and when 1 warrior was required in each subgroups for banner buffs I use to play it a lot. However I don't really enjoy its current specs. My first set of legendary armor was given to my warrior and I have have tried all possible specs/builds. However condi was my preferred one, and since it's become a huge situational class, with almost different spec based on each encounter + the constant swap besides power/condi I don't really enjoy it that much anymore. Hence why it's not in my list. On the contrary to power Holosmith, which I can pretty much play in most game mode and most encounters. I think the changes to the class are great as they increase skill gap, but I don't have enough time to put into warrior to really master it.

5. Weaver/Tempest. I really enjoy this class. However I'm not a dps main, I'm rather a situational/support player. And I feel Weaver is currently a situational class (big cleave damage if you play staff, really good for precast or specific mechancics for specific encounters). However I simply don't have the time to invest in such a high skill cap class. So I only play it in open world to farm things, Tempest D/Wh fresh air or Sword Weaver are great builds to farm, Staff fresh air is enjoyable for meta events, and staff Weaver too :). I also use it as my go to class for hand kiting at Deimos. or as a strong situational class to heal (since it's got insane AoE heals), but that's not very often as I would generally play Chrono or Druid.

That concludes my thoughts on why I think it's not realistic to play all classes, and why I would rather focus on 3-4 classes instead.

• tim.4596tim.4596 Member ✭✭✭

@Auburner.6945 said:
    Been an Ele only player since I started playing. But lately since the class isn't getting much love from the patches, I've been running boonbeast (I hate LB) for a while until things get serious in WvW, or a serious duel, and I hop back on Weaver. Weapon swapping is really hard, you don't think that one button holds such power to hold me back as an ele player LUL. Once ele gets buffs, it will get back to 1 class only.

However, I still play ele most of the time. Over 2500hrs, 2300+ are only on this class.

I think that's what it just comes down to eventually. Might be better to just compare your characters /played or /age (not sure what's the command), and come up with a list based on that haha.

• Stalkingwolf.6035Stalkingwolf.6035 Member ✭✭✭

2 because of of time/reallife

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster

• Keth.3495Keth.3495 Member ✭✭

I have characters of every class, but I really can only focus on 3 at a time. My main is thief and my two primary alts are ranger and mesmer.

• Auburner.6945Auburner.6945 Member ✭✭✭

@tim.4596 said:

@Auburner.6945 said:
    Been an Ele only player since I started playing. But lately since the class isn't getting much love from the patches, I've been running boonbeast (I hate LB) for a while until things get serious in WvW, or a serious duel, and I hop back on Weaver. Weapon swapping is really hard, you don't think that one button holds such power to hold me back as an ele player LUL. Once ele gets buffs, it will get back to 1 class only.

However, I still play ele most of the time. Over 2500hrs, 2300+ are only on this class.

I think that's what it just comes down to eventually. Might be better to just compare your characters /played or /age (not sure what's the command), and come up with a list based on that haha.

Well, sometimes I might take a class as a main and after a long time I swap. It may be temporary... or forever, so /age isn't always certainly correct but... yeah, it shows your favorite playstyle.

Pull the strings. Watch them dance.

• I RP, so I play everything. The one thing I don't play as often is Elementalist.

Don't mined me. I'm just here for the ore.

• Westenev.5289Westenev.5289 Member ✭✭✭✭

I don't play Necro or Engi. Necro feels too easy to play, and Engineer kits don't really work with 300 ping.

• Martnor.1746Martnor.1746 Member ✭✭✭

Pretty much always on my ranger. I have others that I want to build up and progress but I just never get to it. I am a casual gamer so I always chase after content and it is easier to do content with a endgame alt. I do try to play my alts as whenever I can though but it is just so easy and comfortable to use my main.

• shippage.1983shippage.1983 Member ✭✭✭

About 3 I feel confident in. The rest are mostly to get familiar with the other classes, but I can play them at a somewhat competent level.

Shípp - Mesmer main 🐉
    Feel free to add me in game.
    I mostly PvP and open world PvE.

• Chichimec.9364Chichimec.9364 Member ✭✭✭
    "I'm a monkey that doesn't want to answer the question for reasons"

Well, I like the idea of being a monkey so I had to vote that way. Besides, none of the specific numbers really convey my playing style. With 17 alts so far I've got all the professions and most of the elites maxed. Usually I play my three favorite classes though - revenant, engineer, and ranger. My main rev has both herald and renegade maxed and I generally run it as a herald. With a full kit of ascended soldier's gear, this is my most durable alt and is the easiest to play. Flip on Vengeful Hammers, spam 1 with an equipped hammer and I'm good to go in most tough fights. My main engineer has both their specializations maxed. Right now I'm running it with the Scrapper build, wearing marauder gear and am loving it. This is my go to for world boss fights and other metas in core Tyria, as well as Istan and SW farming. I'm also leveling yet another ranger, one who is currently working through all the waypoints and hero points in core Tyria. So those are the three I play the most.

Got a guardian, ranger, and mesmer as my maxed out crafters and they generally live at the crafting tables in the Lily of the Elon. A third ranger, a druid, is camped at a flax farm in Verdant Brink, iirc. My thief, with both Deadeye and Daredevil maxed, lives on a beach in the Caledon Forest to farm krait for their daily key. A level 49 alt who's profession I don't even remember lives at the Lily of the Elon with only two jobs - storing overflow mats while opening blue and green unid bags. Got a rev and a necromancer built for WvW. And still another ranger is tree farming in Malchor's Leap So the three mains I play a lot, these others all occupy specialized niches and are played as needed.

Then there's my poor elementalist, currently running as a Tempest. I love the class, for both its versatile power and its awesome weapon animations. This one is so squishy though and I'm such a slow, clunky player that I have trouble keeping it alive on any higher level maps. So this one is reserved for the moments when I want really casual play wandering around low level Tyria. Finally I knew I was missing a class but had to check the professions list to remember what it was - warrior. That's my least favorite class so the last time I needed to clear a slot for a new alt I deleted my Berserker/Spellbreaker and haven't missed it at all. See - I really am a monkey with a few favorites but still jumping around all over the place. :)

• Raizel.1839Raizel.1839 Member ✭✭

I don't want to put much effort in learning a new class and with 2 different classes (War&Necro) I can do every GW2 content I want (in all truth, one class would be enough for that, but I still use 2 just because I can't drop my poor necro).

• "I'm a monkey that doesn't want to answer the question for reasons"

For me it varies. I tend to delete and remake characters when I get bored of them. Also, I'm have a harder time getting into some classes, such as ranger, than others, such as ele.

The Charr shall rule!

• Cerioth.7062Cerioth.7062 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2019

I play all professions, 62 characters, each with different build.

• Dirame.8521Dirame.8521 Member ✭✭
    edited June 23, 2019

Can't play Ele for the life of me. I tried but I think I need to spend more time with them. I actually feel if I do, I might end up loving them too much hehehehe. Good Eles are soooooo cooool in pvp.

Also I don't play professions, I play builds. I cannot play S/D thief if you give me their build but I can play P/D condi Deadeye any day of the week. I can play builds that I make because I know the ins and outs of the build but give me someone else's build and I'm just like a person without bones. I just flop all over the placed.

• Rashagar.8349Rashagar.8349 Member ✭✭✭

I have one of each for all 9 professions, but of the ones I play with any real frequency it's only really around 5.

Ranger (core/soulbeast, despite really wanting to I found it difficult to gel with druid)
    Revenant (of every flavour, love playing around with this class)
    Necromancer (core and reaper, flavour of scourge doesn't really suit my current necro, I feel like I'd need to make a whole new character for that and I haven't bothered yet)
    Mesmer (core and chrono, haven't unlocked mirage yet)
    Warrior (core only, mainly due to flavour of berserker not suiting her and not having brought her to the desert yet)
    In roughly that order.

• Curunen.8729Curunen.8729 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 24, 2019

I've played other professions for learning purposes, some more than others. Only profession I've not even gone through character creator is Necro. Edit - I lie, actually I do remember testing out necro briefly, but think it was just to briefly mess about with skills in pvp lobby.

But right at this moment, only one character - I can't be bothered to alt, and like to focus one thing I enjoy playing most, especially as barely having played much since April. Not to say I haven't enjoyed other things - for sure in the past things like melee ranger, lightning hammer ele and p/p thief, etc...

Prefer to be minimal and simple - easy to log in, know everything is in the right place in inventory, gear, skills etc - don't even have to think about anything, just play. :)

My ears, how are you! | Kourna Jackrabbit for default Springer

• knite.1542knite.1542 Member ✭✭✭

5 Classes that I actually do content with:

Warrior: Open world pve, raids and FoTM
    Guardian: FoTM
    Engineer: Open world pve, raids, and WvW
    Ranger: Open world pve, FoTM
    Thief: Flax Farming

I do have (at least) one of each class though. Most of the others I only log into for collecting flax.

so you are still salty about that.

Even though I have at least one of every profession at level 80 with at least full exotic gear with appropriate stats, I can't say that I play much else than ranger.

And the "why" is very simple - I enjoy it. In games in general, class/character fantasy is the biggest make or break for me. I need a character with a class fantasy that makes me feel like I enjoy the character. I do not enjoy the warrior-like style nor do I enjoy the mesmer's pink clouds and illusions. I enjoy nature themed professions - hence ranger (maybe elementalist in the future, but right now I do not enjoy elementalist at all).

The druid elite specialization is close to perfection, when it comes to my own personal preference, fantasy-wise. But the entire elite spec execution in the live game is... Underwhelming. So nowdays I usually run a core ranger spec while waiting either for a proper summoning spec (no, not those tiny necro pets nor shabby elementalist summonings - I want something like the Tamer in BDO, Spirit Master in Aion or Summoner from FF14) or for a proper druid rework to make them at least somewhat better at DPSing.

• TwiceDead.1963TwiceDead.1963 Member ✭✭✭

Aside from Guardian and Revenant, I play pretty much everything periodically, but my Thief is the only class I haven't deleted and remade because reasons, so he has by far the longest playtime.

• Yannir.4132Yannir.4132 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Dezember.1295 said:
    Even though I have at least one of every profession at level 80 with at least full exotic gear with appropriate stats, I can't say that I play much else than ranger.

And the "why" is very simple - I enjoy it. In games in general, class/character fantasy is the biggest make or break for me. I need a character with a class fantasy that makes me feel like I enjoy the character. I do not enjoy the warrior-like style nor do I enjoy the mesmer's pink clouds and illusions. I enjoy nature themed professions - hence ranger (maybe elementalist in the future, but right now I do not enjoy elementalist at all).

The druid elite specialization is close to perfection, when it comes to my own personal preference, fantasy-wise. But the entire elite spec execution in the live game is... Underwhelming. So nowdays I usually run a core ranger spec while waiting either for a proper summoning spec (no, not those tiny necro pets nor shabby elementalist summonings - I want something like the Tamer in BDO, Spirit Master in Aion or Summoner from FF14) or for a proper druid rework to make them at least somewhat better at DPSing.

I find it a shame there's no nature-themed, light armor caster class in the game. Ranger/Druid is woefully insufficient at giving that flavor.

Also with the "no new classes"-policy in place, I don't even feel like showcasing any new class ideas I may have had recently. If I posted them in the forums, the reception would be the usual nerds shooting it down with "they're not adding new classes" and "omg no they have enough problems balancing 9 classes". Instead of discussing it as an idea that it is, a hypothetical exercise in creativity and not a real suggestion.

• whoeverxwins.1279whoeverxwins.1279 Member ✭✭✭

I have all 9, but tend to concentrate on a couple at a time. My reaper is my main and go to for pretty much everything. I'm bringing my chrono through PoF now, so she's getting more play (and may go Mirage). I love the Reaper's strength, instead of being a flimsy magic user. I can jump into the middle of a crowd of mobs in full zerker gear and only be stronger as I summon more minions. The mesmer is another favorite, simply because I haven't seen a class like that in other games I've played. The rest are much further behind in their stories, as I played a bit with them before picking favorites. They'll move up, eventually, but I'll still focus on only a couple at a time. It's too hard to be good at something if you're trying to keep 8 other professions straight.

• Jheuloh.4109Jheuloh.4109 Member
    edited June 28, 2019

Warrior, ranger, and thief occupy my 3 slots.

Ranger is very much my main character. Played one as my first pick in Guild wars 1 back in 2005 and never changed.

Warrior is a close second, and thief a distant third. I've always been partial to the classes that are about sticking em' with the pointy end.

While I actually do have 1 character of each class, only the aforementioned 3 are meaningfully developed. I have neither the time nor inclination to seriously develop more than that.

Even if Gw2 moves relatively quick for an MMO, that's still a non-trivial time sink.

I have all 9 & an extra guardian and play all at least a couple times a week, but only 4 get much attention, i would spend more time on others but don't want to spend resources on them that i keep for my Warrior.

Warrior/Berserker is my main which i spend most time on and do most content & spend most of my gold on.
    Core Guardian for WvW & thinking of gearing for fractal learning.
    Necro/Reaper for when feeling lazy and just want to to farm things easy.
    Ranger/Soulbeast only recently tried and enjoying so much.

• Trollocks.5084Trollocks.5084 Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 7, 2019

My old main was an engineer, which I frequently swapped between Holo and Scrap heals. But I'm looking for something new. Engineer is fun, just not a class I wanna play all the time.

I'm currently looking at Guardian, Elementalist, Necro, Ranger and Warrior. Warrior is kinda meh though, cause it doesn't have a heal spec.

• Hannelore.8153Hannelore.8153 Member ✭✭✭

I play all nine professions at lv80 + exotic/ascended geared. I even have two of each so that I could try the different elites, and three Guardians since one is on a core build. A few of my other characters also run core builds after some nerfs to the elite specs, too.

Daisuki[SUKI] Founder | Mains Mariyuuna | ♀♥♀
    Akarissa, Auratashi, Hanamariko, Kanasuki, Kokonomori, Korisaki, Manakuro, Sarehtori, Terakura, Yukianna
    Alice Ryven, Alisha Kei, Baxia Tres, Caelia Flamestrike, Kiryka Darkwillow, Rikka Rowe, Tawni Rosemary, Thea Lux

• Iozeph.5617Iozeph.5617 Member ✭✭✭

Have all of them, played most of them but there are some I just don't pick up as much as others. If I had a favourite it would be the Core Engineer -rubbish that it is.

• KiroIB.4508KiroIB.4508 Member ✭✭

8, but i am working to get to 9

Update:

After trying all 9 professions, I decided to keep Warrior, Ranger, Engineer, Guardian, and Thief. These past few days I've been playing mainly Engineer and Ranger. I almost never play Thief because I find it a little boring, but I'm keeping it because I'm hoping I will enjoy Daredevil.

So, in total, I play 4/5 professions.

• nthmetal.9652nthmetal.9652 Member ✭✭✭

All professions I play, I play in PvE openworld, fractals and WvW, though sometimes with adjusted builds.
    Mirage (though currently dormant thanks to balance patch "tradeoff" with a half-finished solution)
    Spellbreaker

I have tried my hands on a few other professions:
    Elementalist (Tempest first, then Weaver) - way too many powers for me to handle that correctly. Facerolling only leads to dying, yet I can't concentrate well enough to learn with attunements with my weapon lead to which powers being accessible. RIP ;)
    Engineer - the same thing. How can people do this? XD
    Chronomancer (that Continuum Rift? I can't just wrap my head around how to use it correctly to any effect ;) )

As you see, I have issues. I'm happy that Spellbreaker was rather easy to learn, though timing and CD management is essential.

"and then we know that we have looked back through the ivory gates into that world of wonder which was ours before we were wise and unhappy"
    -- H. P. Lovecraft - Celephais

• Tukaram.8256Tukaram.8256 Member ✭✭✭

I voted 4, meant to vote 5, but really it is more like 2 (all 5 level 80). I have an elementalist, guardian, and revenant that I rarely play. My main is my necro/minion master, and my other fun avatar is my ranger. The others just clicked with me.

I am looking for what to try next, I just bought the mount expansion and got a new slot (have 2 open now). Not sure who, if anyone, to try next. May make a new thread about that... :)

I play everything, but as of right now I only know Thief, Warrior, Revenant, and Necromancer at a high level.

The other classes I am in the process of finding builds I like that work and are also unique while still being effective.

I play:

GS/SwordShield Berserker
    S/P / Staff Daredevil
    Mace/Shield / Sword/Axe Herald
    GS/ Axe/Focus Reaper

I am working on:

Shortbox / X Druid
    D/D weaver
    Sword/Focus / GD Dragonhunter
    Sword/Focus /GS Mesmer (Chrono/Mirage/Core determinant)
    Sword/Shield Holosmith

[Charr Noises]
    [Plays every class]
    [JUST GIT EVEN GUDDER ITS FINE]

3 to 4 actively.

Always a support, a disruptor and a DPS to keep all skills sharp.

• fixit.7189fixit.7189 Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2019

i play all 9 profs now just to spice things up. i do play some more than others though. like my ele, which is my favorite of them all. <3 ele.

• Vincenzo.3145Vincenzo.3145 Member ✭✭✭

I play all of them. Till they nerfed the only elite I enjoyed most of all. Cutting my losses and moving onto another game before they decide to destroy everything I like about the other classes too.

• Oogabooga.3812Oogabooga.3812 Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 23, 2019

I have all 9, but I've had a hard time learning Revenant. It's pretty much relegated to home instance gathering only.

I no longer PVP since Anet destroyed my tank builds.

I use necromancer and engineer for all other content.
    Elementalist for WvW and story.
    Ranger for WvW and fractals.
    Thief for WvW and story.
    Guardian and Mesmer for WvW.
    Warrior for fractals and some WvW.

• serialkicker.5274serialkicker.5274 Member ✭✭✭

Engi and warrior. Got one guard for storage.

Couldn't get into ranger when the game was first released and have not really given them a chance since then, nor do I want to. Mesmers I have always have had it out for since the GW1 days( those kitten power blockers :p). I do use memser for the largos raid boss though.

my main is thief, mostly use the daredevil specialization due to be the closes thing that i'm going to get to a martial artist in this game, for now at least. The other main alts that I use are warrior and necromancer with there respective elite specializations. The other classes I play from time to time when I just wanna try something different, and I always have blast most of the time.

Do not rush,
    But move with a purpose.
    Dual- focus Martial arts elite spec please, Anet

• Fenom.9457Fenom.9457 Member ✭✭✭✭

I’ve got at least one of each and I play them all relatively often

HARRY! DIDYA PUT YER NAME IN DA GOBLET OF FIYAH?!

One and a half

Cheeky answer perhaps, but maybe it'll make sense when I explain what I mean by that.

I started out maining an Elementalist back in June of this year. After a number of false starts for one reason or another, I finally got her to 80 and started messing around with the Weaver elite. Suffice it to say, it was not my cup of tea. Between the low health and the constantly shifting skills I quickly grew frustrated with the class in general and Weaver in particular. So, I maxed out Tempest thinking it would help. It didn't, at least not enough. Other things about the class started creeping up and eventually I gave up. I still have the character, despite only having 5 character slots total, as she represents my first 80.

Next, I decided I wanted to main a Mesmer. I like the clothy look the best and would really like to stick with clothes instead of trench coats or plate armor. Mesmer was fun, very easy to level contrary to everything I had read on the forums and was my main until the latest 'balance' patch. While I never played Chrono, my Mirage was hit in a way that's ruined the class for me and that is the dodge nerf. It may be I'm just a bad player but before I could use my 'shift' to avoid damage and the speed to actually get out of the red circles. With the nerf, I can't move fast enough and wind up having to either 'dodge' again, which I often couldn't do because it was part of my dps rotation as well, or get hit by what I was trying to avoid in the first place. That and the fact that my clones were always disappearing after one enemy died while there were 12 more still trying to kill me just got to be so annoying that I've more or less shelved her. Pity that, she's easily my most advanced character with 73% map completion and working on LW2. I was trying to go in order.

I then decided to switch to Ranger, thinking I would get to keep my medium health, attack at range or melee as I chose and solo champions etc. It is sort of working? She's level 62 with 51% map completion because I was purposefully going about things differently than any other character. I was trying to get as much of Tyria done as possible before hitting 80. I avoided events, including going out of my way and delaying some hearts because of them, didn't use xp bonuses of any kind and didn't craft anything. I've decided to take a break from her though as she's starting to get boring.

Now my latest attempt at finding a main is a Necromancer. She's only level 12 at the moment. The problem is, despite the fact that I'm going about things differently than the last time I tried necro I'm already kind of bored with her.

It could be I just need a break from GW2 in general as I've been playing a lot lately before my new job starts this coming Friday and might be suffering from burnout and the frustrations of finding something to main. Honestly, I don't really want multiple characters as I have so much content to go through. I know, I don't have to do everything on one character. The problem is I want to. I don't want to use one character for this part of the story, another character for that, and still another for this over here.

As for classes I've tried, and by that mean they got to level 20 at the least, are: Elementalist, Mesmer, Necromancer, Ranger, Guardian and Thief. I'm not big on technology in fantasy games so it's doubtful I'll ever really play an Engineer. Warrior and Revenant don't interest me as they are plate wearers. Thief was merely to experience the Sylvari personal story (chapter 1-3) for the personal experience, achievement points and farming low level mats in a way that didn't feel like farming. Actually, I still need the Asura and might kill two birds with one stone as it were by making an Asura Engineer. What the heck, a Charr Warrior and a Norn Revenant to finish off the whole not tried everything thing. I only need to play them to level 30 and do three chapters.

Anyways, things that matter to me are:

Is the character fun to play, otherwise what's the point?
    Does the character look good in her clothes without needing an outfit to look presentable?
    Can I use the character in multiple game modes such as WvW, Fractals and Raids?
    Are there multiple specs, or ways to play, so I don't get bored? Since I want to focus on one character, being able to play the same one in different ways will be important to stave off boredom and a sense of tediousness.
    Can I effectively solo Champions and other difficult content? Despite being part of an active guild, I want to be able to do things myself and not have to rely on others for every little thing.

I'm thinking Necro could be it eventually, but I don't know. At least with the Ranger and Mesmer I was having fun most of the time up until very recently. Even the Elementalist was fun at the time using dagger/dagger as I enjoyed the fast paced action of a melee sorceress.

At the moment, I'm using Ax/Dagger + Staff on the Necromancer. Seems like she has plenty of AoE between those and death shroud (which I use liberally and not as a second health bar). No idea if I'm going to use minions or not, at least for the foreseeable future anyway.

-Jenny

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.