I’d like to suggest a devs hands off approach going forward

Swagger.1459

I understand that the team wanted to get into the esports scene with gw2, and that was cool, but I think maybe it’s time to let players do their thing with what has been built...

Sure, I’m all for making new maps once in a while and fixing bugs, but the core of pvp gameplay centers around professions, build and role variety and “fun”... So I’d like to suggest the team take a step back from micromanaging everything and just devote the bulk of resources and bandwidth to focus strongly on improving professions for pvp and wvw play...

I say all this as a former competitive support role player before the esports scene was even a thing. Where the game I preferred was more focused on creating enjoyable classes and roles and builds and skills and combat... for players to enjoy... And I saw much much much less online “bravado” and toxicity and complaints... than I do here.

Honestly, take a step back and work on what matters most for pvp combat... and let the focus be fun builds and roles to play, cool and interesting skills, re-evaluating original designs... and let players do their thing. It’s tough enough to gain player interest and participation for pvp modes, so focus on fun and “good fights” type combat.

@brappish.8715 said:Do you mean like...make more intricacies involving builds. Like, let's try and step away from 1-2 meta builds and make it possible to fine tune a more personalized set of builds to approach comps with?

Yeah. I think the community would be happier if the devs really focused on taking professions to the next level, looking over some old mechanics and opening the doors to more variety with builds and roles to play.

Essentially build cool “stuff” for players to play and enjoy. Fix whatever broken things come up. Let people experiment and be creative.

While the "hands off devs" approach would be best for GW2, the problem remains in how anet keeps a tighter grip on its in-house tools and assets than China keeps on foreign intellectual properties. The success of the hands-off dev relies on the paradigm in which said dev gives a lot of freedom or tool access to the playerbase so that a game allows players to independently create and modify content on their own. Anet doesn't allow its players access to anything of real value; even things like organizing a 1v1 or 2v2 PvP tournament is a massive hassle because of how clunky it is to operate a "private server" in GW2, and that's probably the most freedom that this game grants a player when it comes to manipulating content.

If you want any content of value to come from the playerbase, anet has to give up access to a lot of assets and a map maker tool. GW2 will probably never get anything like what Valve allows in most of its games (I mean, for heaven's sake, outside of surf maps, zombies, and the plethora of crazy asset, sound, weapon and model mods across all Source games, someone once even made a functional Master Hand Super Smash Bros. boss stage in Team Fortress 2 which even had a difficulty setting). The most anyone can hope for in GW2 is basically something like what Wildstar players got whenever they used housing, and even then I wouldn't hold your breath. That said, if players could use private servers to change or disable weapon, armor and skill stats, mix and match to make their own active abilities, make their own maps or even model their own skins, then GW2 would be a lot more alive and interesting than what it is under anet's iron grip.

@"Swagg.9236" said:While the "hands off devs" approach would be best for GW2, the problem remains in how anet keeps a tighter grip on its in-house tools and assets than China keeps on foreign intellectual properties. The success of the hands-off dev relies on the paradigm in which said dev gives a lot of freedom or tool access to the playerbase so that a game allows players to independently create and modify content on their own. Anet doesn't allow its players access to anything of real value; even things like organizing a 1v1 or 2v2 PvP tournament is a massive hassle because of how clunky it is to operate a "private server" in GW2, and that's probably the most freedom that this game grants a player when it comes to manipulating content.

If you want any content of value to come from the playerbase, anet has to give up access to a lot of assets and a map maker tool. GW2 will probably never get anything like what Valve allows in most of its games (I mean, for heaven's sake, outside of surf maps, zombies, and the plethora of crazy asset, sound, weapon and model mods across all Source games, someone once even made a functional Master Hand Super Smash Bros. boss stage in Team Fortress 2 which even had a difficulty setting). The most anyone can hope for in GW2 is basically something like what Wildstar players got whenever they used housing, and even then I wouldn't hold your breath. That said, if players could use private servers to change or disable weapon, armor and skill stats, mix and match to make their own active abilities, make their own maps or even model their own skins, then GW2 would be a lot more alive and interesting than what it is under anet's iron grip.

This has nothing to do with the players creating anything.

@Swagger.1459 said:

@"Swagg.9236" said:While the "hands off devs" approach would be best for GW2, the problem remains in how anet keeps a tighter grip on its in-house tools and assets than China keeps on foreign intellectual properties. The success of the hands-off dev relies on the paradigm in which said dev gives a lot of freedom or tool access to the playerbase so that a game allows players to independently create and modify content on their own. Anet doesn't allow its players access to anything of real value; even things like organizing a 1v1 or 2v2 PvP tournament is a massive hassle because of how clunky it is to operate a "private server" in GW2, and that's probably the most freedom that this game grants a player when it comes to manipulating content.

Sure it does. The devs are already on a pretty "hands off approach" as it stands given what I've seen after catching up on the frequency of content and balance updates. Players don't seem to have any tools to really affect their wishes on GW2, so they just wait for anet to do whatever they want every quarter year or so, right? If the players could make maps or skins or skills on their own (even if they were simply confined to private instances which could only be accessed by those who wanted to do so), you don't think that there wouldn't be a higher level of player activity, responsibility and creation which would maybe even encourage the devs to focus on other things instead of being constantly berated by its own playerbase for doing generally nothing at all?

@Swagg.9236 said:

@Swagg.9236 said:While the "hands off devs" approach would be best for GW2, the problem remains in how anet keeps a tighter grip on its in-house tools and assets than China keeps on foreign intellectual properties. The success of the hands-off dev relies on the paradigm in which said dev gives a lot of freedom or tool access to the playerbase so that a game allows players to independently create and modify content on their own. Anet doesn't allow its players access to anything of real value; even things like organizing a 1v1 or 2v2 PvP tournament is a massive hassle because of how clunky it is to operate a "private server" in GW2, and that's probably the most freedom that this game grants a player when it comes to manipulating content.

Sure it does. The devs are already on a pretty "hands off approach" as it stands given what I've seen after catching up on the frequency of content and balance updates. Players don't seem to have any tools to really affect their wishes on GW2, so they just wait for anet to do whatever they want every quarter year or so, right? If the players could make maps or skins or skills on their own (even if they were simply confined to private instances which could only be accessed by those who wanted to do so), you don't think that there wouldn't be a higher level of player activity, responsibility and creation which would maybe even encourage the devs to focus on other things instead of being constantly berated by its own playerbase for doing generally nothing at all?

My whole point was for the dev team to focus mostly on profession development and combat aspects because those are the CORE of PvP and WvW.

" If the players could make maps or skins or skills on their own (even if they were simply confined to private instances which could only be accessed by those who wanted to do so)"... Those will not happen, particularly skills and private instance stuff. And the tons of resources and dev time devoted to creating the tools for players to do any of those would mean other areas of spvp development would suffer greatly.

First things, and most important things, first.

@Swagg.9236 said:

@Swagg.9236 said:While the "hands off devs" approach would be best for GW2, the problem remains in how anet keeps a tighter grip on its in-house tools and assets than China keeps on foreign intellectual properties. The success of the hands-off dev relies on the paradigm in which said dev gives a lot of freedom or tool access to the playerbase so that a game allows players to independently create and modify content on their own. Anet doesn't allow its players access to anything of real value; even things like organizing a 1v1 or 2v2 PvP tournament is a massive hassle because of how clunky it is to operate a "private server" in GW2, and that's probably the most freedom that this game grants a player when it comes to manipulating content.

But on a more relatable note, I think what swagger wants swag, is the devs to take their hands off making new content (maps, skins, gamemodes etc.) and perhaps manage their efforts to coordinating more viable builds per class, and a less " OMG MIRAGE IS SO OP HALLLPPP WE NEED NERFS AHHHHH" culture by updating everything at once and fixating classes to be too OP. In short : MAKE MORE OP CLASSES THAT WILL ALL BE ABLE TO COUNTER EACHOTHER.

And honestly, I think he's right. The devs shouldn't take a hands-off approach but rather maybe start putting their hands-on the developments of classes, bringing more complexity and diversity to each class. Take a trip over the to the mirage forums where half of the people born in the early 2000s are complaining about mirage being too overpowered. Maybe the devs should offer them a solution to this conflict by enabling builds to be more fine-tuned and personalized. Maybe some one could literally one day create a build that focuses on countering builds the mesmer usually runs. Or maybe a thief could be a certain tank to hold points.

Just a real quick off the top of my head idea obviously...

Archived