RIP weapon swapping in rotation

Einsof.1457

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Being forced to carry a second weapon of the same type, along with a second SoC, just so you can swap it without changing your weapon skills, every 9 seconds for that boon duration was horrible game design. And there is absolutely nothing stopping you from continuing to do the same thing now if you honestly think that it makes the rotation more fun

Obviously it'll be a nerf, but I'm happy they revise runes and sigils.Let be honest :Pve : Scholar, renegade, berserker, and for support : leadership, monk.WvW : Scholar, strenght, Durability, Leadership, monk...PvP : Scholar, leadership, pack, Lynx, adventurer ...Some others runes and sigils are for niche build, and not always that much relevant.The 80% remaining is trash.It's a bit boring ; whatever the class, the build, you equip the sames runes and sigils.

I hope there will be more synergy, or at least more choice, less disparity, with each class design and chosen roles.

@OriOri.8724 said:Being forced to carry a second weapon of the same type, along with a second SoC, just so you can swap it without changing your weapon skills, every 9 seconds for that boon duration was horrible game design. And there is absolutely nothing stopping you from continuing to do the same thing now if you honestly think that it makes the rotation more fun

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

You just used 1 mainhand sword. With 1 sigil of concentration. It procs on both swaps.

@OriOri.8724 said:Being forced to carry a second weapon of the same type, along with a second SoC, just so you can swap it without changing your weapon skills, every 9 seconds for that boon duration was horrible game design. And there is absolutely nothing stopping you from continuing to do the same thing now if you honestly think that it makes the rotation more fun

thanks for the laugh

@Irenio CalmonHuang.2048 said:

@Zhaid Zhem.6508 said:I hope there will be more synergy, or at least more choice, less disparity, with each class design and chosen roles.

There should be a significant amount of additional choices, particularly for deeply niche builds and top end variations.

That's certainly good to hear. The fact that the vast majority of sigils and runes are pretty useless has always been an area begging for an overhaul. There's a lot of interesting things that could be implemented there, so I'm looking forward to seeing what you have come up with.

@OriOri.8724 said:Being forced to carry a second weapon of the same type, along with a second SoC, just so you can swap it without changing your weapon skills, every 9 seconds for that boon duration was horrible game design. And there is absolutely nothing stopping you from continuing to do the same thing now if you honestly think that it makes the rotation more funCarrying only one type of weapon? I see you using the profession’s full potential here. :expressionless:

@Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:As somebody with tremors and pain in my wrists, elbows, and shoulders, I welcome dumbed-down and simple rotations.

Don't worry, anet is going to simplify this game into the ground because catering to the disabled over the abled is such a winning business strategy. In all seriousness 90% of profession builds are incredibly simple. Why can't you be happy with that and let those of us who like complexity have our 10%? Why must you take everything away?

@Einsof.1457 said:

@Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:As somebody with tremors and pain in my wrists, elbows, and shoulders, I welcome dumbed-down and simple rotations.

Don't worry, anet is going to simplify this game into the ground because catering to the disabled over the abled is such a winning business strategy. In all seriousness 90% of profession builds are incredibly simple. Why can't you be happy with that and let those of us who like complexity have our 10%? Why must you take everything away?

The hill that you're defending isn't worth anything. GW2 gets no benefit from having good performance barred behind fighting the interface. The difficulty of the game should come from the encounters and enemies in the game, and not from merely playing the game itself.

@Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:

The hill that you're defending isn't worth anything. GW2 gets no benefit from having good performance barred behind fighting the interface. The difficulty of the game should come from the encounters and enemies in the game, and not from merely playing the game itself.

Maybe you dont get that for chrono, encounteres were dificult because you had to plan your weaponswaps to be at the set you nned at specific times like on sloth focus when slublings spawns and shield when cc happens. You had to decide if you have time to swap or not. Now you dont need to plan anything (unless some new ultility is swap-based) and can cap wapon that you will need next. Basics of chrono were already very easy and this takes away more advanced stuff.

I welcome this change. As a main mes for open world i only played DPS in raids until now, part of the reason being the nature of the concentration-sigil and the need to constantly weapon swap. Now that it wont be needed any more, i might switch to chrono for raids. Its not as if they didnt have enough mechanics to deal with already anyway.

@Jojo.6140 said:I welcome this change. As a main mes for open world i only played DPS in raids until now, part of the reason being the nature of the concentration-sigil and the need to constantly weapon swap. Now that it wont be needed any more, i might switch to chrono for raids. Its not as if they didnt have enough mechanics to deal with already anyway.

Truth is, they dont.I started raids with chrono because I saw distorting greens on vg. Day before I finished my gear, distortion share was removed. Phantasm rework was great. Last changes are ok I guess but I am little worried about this one.Chrono already has easy rotation becausea) it doesnt matter if your squad have 150% quickness and alacrity uptime or 110%. You can make mistakes that dont have any efect.2) you rotation have alot of free time. You cast one spell every ~20 seconds and second every ~16. Only thing you need to do now is time it with weaponswap.

Basicaly all you were doing was dealing with mechanics or if you didnt have to, maximising the damage. With this change, basicaly all non chaos builds are nerfed and even more apart from dps builds and closer to chaos builds.

And you dont have to plan swap ahead so you have right set for right mechanic. Now you can just camp shield...

Hopefuly those ultility options bring something with interesting gameplay instead of passive buffs.

well personally as a guard main (not pvp/wvw oriented comment) i welcome the change to the scholar rune and dwayna rune . fitst one because the big 10% damage bonus reduced to 5% but with more ferocity, if my math is correct its around 8% more damage on crit, giving you more freedom from the "I MUST BE OVER 90% HP" principle. and i can finaly leave the rune of divinity, and use the dvayna rune for that juicy 10% more hp

@"Lucas.3718" said:well personally as a guard main (not pvp/wvw oriented comment) i welcome the change to the scholar rune and dwayna rune . fitst one because the big 10% damage bonus reduced to 5% but with more ferocity, if my math is correct its around 8% more damage on crit, giving you more freedom from the "I MUST BE OVER 90% HP" principle. and i can finaly leave the rune of divinity, and use the dvayna rune for that juicy 10% more hp

It's 8% of the base 100% of the non-crit damage. The bonus to Ferocity is also additive as opposed to multiplicative. I've explained this in three discords already so I'm just gonna c/p for you:

+8.2% crit and x1.05 is not stronger than x1.1 to your damage, especially for classes that already have high ferocity. Remember that ferocity becomes less valuable the more of it you have relative to your power. Raw multipliers have always been better because such bonuses are multiplicative and not additive, like ferocity.

Essentially speaking, classes with high ferocity and an already high product of multipliers will benefit far less from new scholar vs old. Weaver, Deadeye, and Daredevil are obvious examples of this.

Suppose, for instance, that a non crit attack does 100 damage, and the character has a critical damage stat of 220%, holding equal the first 5 pieces of the scholar set and all other aspects of the build, and the enemy being attacked (also holding equal the results of weapon RNG). That means the attack would crit for 220, for simplicity's sake.

The current scholar runes would essentially just multiply this damage by 1.1, resulting in 242 damage.

The new scholar runes would change the crit damage modifier to 228.2%, changing the damage to 228 instead of 220. This then gets multiplied by the 1.05 multipler, resulting in 239 damage.

If a Power DPS character somehow had very low ferocity, your statement would be correct, because the 8.2% crit damage would be more impactful, relative to the already-present critical damage stat. But the problem here is that it's 8.2% of the base 100% of the damage. It's an additive bonus, and thereby falls short when Ferocity is sufficiently high.

And this example was just with 220% crit damage. Looking at my daredevil in realistic raid buffs, I'm staring at 266%. So the gap would be even wider in my case.

@SpinDashMaster.5680 said:

@"Lucas.3718" said:well personally as a guard main (not pvp/wvw oriented comment) i welcome the change to the scholar rune and dwayna rune . fitst one because the big 10% damage bonus reduced to 5% but with more ferocity, if my math is correct its around
8% more damage on crit
, giving you more freedom from the "I MUST BE OVER 90% HP" principle. and i can finaly leave the rune of divinity, and use the dvayna rune for that juicy 10% more hp

It's 8% of the base 100% of the
non-crit damage
. The bonus to Ferocity is also
additive
as opposed to
multiplicative
. I've explained this in three discords already so I'm just gonna c/p for you:

+8.2% crit and x1.05 is not stronger than x1.1 to your damage, especially for classes that already have high ferocity. Remember that ferocity becomes less valuable the more of it you have relative to your power.
Raw multipliers have always been better because such bonuses are multiplicative and not additive, like ferocity.

Essentially speaking, classes with high ferocity and an already high product of multipliers will benefit far less from new scholar vs old. Weaver, Deadeye, and Daredevil are obvious examples of this.

Suppose, for instance, that a non crit attack does 100 damage, and the character has a critical damage stat of 220%, holding equal the first 5 pieces of the scholar set and all other aspects of the build, and the enemy being attacked (also holding equal the results of weapon RNG). That means the attack would crit for 220, for simplicity's sake.

The current scholar runes would essentially just multiply this damage by 1.1, resulting in 242 damage.

The new scholar runes would change the crit damage modifier to 228.2%, changing the damage to 228 instead of 220. This then gets multiplied by the 1.05 multipler, resulting in 239 damage.

If a Power DPS character somehow had very low ferocity, your statement would be correct, because the 8.2% crit damage would be more impactful, relative to the already-present critical damage stat. But the problem here is that it's 8.2% of the base 100% of the damage. It's an additive bonus, and thereby falls short when Ferocity is sufficiently high.

And this example was just with 220% crit damage. Looking at my daredevil in realistic raid buffs, I'm staring at 266%. So the gap would be even wider in my case.

Lemme just tl;dr this for you:

Assume...you had 220 crit damage before the change with scholar runes.

You will do ~1.2% less damage with the new runes.

Previously if you did 5000 damage in an attack, the scholar 10% bonus would bring that to 5500.The new bonus + ferocity boost will bring it to 5439.

@Einsof.1457 said:I play chrono because of the complexity...but anet just keeps dumbing it down. What do you guys think of this change to sigil of concentration? My thought is that my T4/raid rotation is going to be super boring now...

I play as chrono in T4 and get 100% boon uptime via harrier gear and chaos traitline. Sigil of Concentration was never a neccessity

@"Einsof.1457" said:I play chrono because of the complexity...but anet just keeps dumbing it down. What do you guys think of this change to sigil of concentration? My thought is that my T4/raid rotation is going to be super boring now...

Tbh, I love the change. Why? Because its the right direction. Just providing boons is the most boring thing Ive ever done in any mmo. And thanks to the VERY rigid rotation of boon chrono in the past (before mimic change), the room for "other" things was just barely there.

Id rather have providing boons take up max. 30% of my time in fights so I can concentrate on other stuff. Doing dps. CCing adds. Doing mechanics. Maybe healing. THATs exciting. Doing the same rigid rotation every week - with only minimal variations per boss - I do not understand how people can think thats fun, complex and exciting. A monkey can handle that. Or a bot. And thats excatly how I felt playing chrono in the past.

Now with the mimic change chrono started to be fun. Finally I can DO things. And not being locked into weapon swapping? Im so excited now.

I guess the reason why so many hate the chrono changes, is because chrono gameplay becomes more and more like druid gameplay, and less "dps-at-golem-like". No more fixed rotation you can semi-afk do on every boss, and more responsibilties outside of that boon-rotation.

First thing Im going to test next week is how low I can now drop my boon duration as an off-chrono, how much dps stats I can squeeze in and if I can do cannons on off chrono now.

@Einsof.1457 said:I play chrono because of the complexity...but anet just keeps dumbing it down. What do you guys think of this change to sigil of concentration? My thought is that my T4/raid rotation is going to be super boring now...

Really? this one change affects your gameplay that much? That's hard to believe.

Still, I would rather get a flat +10 than a short lived +33

@Obtena.7952 said:

Really? this one change affects your gameplay that much? That's hard to believe.

I mean chrono had focus or sword as second offhand because of the utility or DPS, but since you will need more concentration gear you can forget DPS imo so you can basically sit on sw/shield and do the rota from there... That is what affects gameplay, the thing that you can basically do the same as a thief for example but instead you will give boons and not do DPSDegrading a class to a level of brainless skill spam makes it boring

It's hardly dumbing things down. It's tweaking and improving. I love it when a gaming company makes a move to overall increase the playability of their game is always viewed as dumbing down. Also, if you drew your enjoyment from T4/Raids from weapon swap then yes, it will be boring. For most folks it won't be though. A constant 10% is better 33% that you only get if you change weapons. All this does to your rotation is make you have to think more about what you are doing. The whole weapon swap rotation was rote. You did X,Y,Z then swap and do A,B,C and then swap and do X,Y,Z all over again. As a matter of fact, following a rotation is not complexity in play. We have rotations to make play easier and less complex. You memorize the rotation and you'll do well.

@Zhaid Zhem.6508 said:Obviously it'll be a nerf, but I'm happy they revise runes and sigils.Let be honest :Pve : Scholar, renegade, berserker, and for support : leadership, monk.WvW : Scholar, strenght, Durability, Leadership, monk...PvP : Scholar, leadership, pack, Lynx, adventurer ...Some others runes and sigils are for niche build, and not always that much relevant.The 80% remaining is trash.It's a bit boring ; whatever the class, the build, you equip the sames runes and sigils.

I hope there will be more synergy, or at least more choice, less disparity, with each class design and chosen roles.

That is my hope too, that Runes and Sigils become more interesting and there is more value in what you choose. The removal of randomness will add consistency in results and combat becomes less a factor of being lucky at the right moment and a matter of making the right moves.

@Einsof.1457 said:

Weapon swap on Sigil of Concentration did not make gameplay more complex. People constantly fell into patterned behavior in which they went through the rotation. Then they repeated the rotation. I love complexity in play but following a rotation is by no means complex. It's Easy Mode. Also, making your game more accessible to people, which brings in more people, which increases revenue, which increases the number of players who are engaged in a game is a winning business strategy. So making the game more user-friendly for disabled people (though I'm loathed to use the term disabled) is a good thing.

@ButcherofMalakir.4067 said:

Maybe you dont get that for chrono, encounteres were dificult because you had to plan your weaponswaps to be at the set you nned at specific times like on sloth focus when slublings spawns and shield when cc happens. You had to decide if you have time to swap or not. Now you dont need to plan anything (unless some new ultility is swap-based) and can cap wapon that you will need next. Basics of chrono were already very easy and this takes away more advanced stuff.

There is nothing about this change that interferes with the gameplay you describe. You will still need to time your weapon swaps at specific moments. The only difference now is that your weapon swaps will be about changing what you are actually doing as opposed to trying to keep a 33% bonus going for as long as you can. They idea that you won't need to plan anything is simply false. With a potential increase in viable runes and sigils you will actually have to do a lot more planning as you figure out what new runes/sigils will be good for what situations and incorpating new bonuses into your playstyle.

This in no way takes away advanced stuff. Weapon swap to maintain a 33% increase for 7 secs is not advanced.

@Nepster.4275 said:

I mean chrono had focus or sword as second offhand because of the utility or DPS, but since you will need more concentration gear you can forget DPS imo so you can basically sit on sw/shield and do the rota from there... That is what affects gameplay, the thing that you can basically do the same as a thief for example but instead you will give boons and not do DPSDegrading a class to a level of brainless skill spam makes it boring

It sure does ... the difference is that I'm not assuming this change takes a game from super genius level weapons swaps to brainless skill spam.

Archived