What are your petty grievances in GW2? - Page 3 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

What are your petty grievances in GW2?

Comments

• @Urud.4925 said:
    Just lol for the #9 and you're right on the #4, I also noticed it.

Well to be honest, he was not the only necromancer with a greatsword predating Reaper - Marjory did it too.

And if you made sylvari necromancer there is a chance you did it before he did :P

I don't remember what skills marjory was using when she was wielding belinda's sword, but trehearne was using a preset skills tied to the sword itself - basically necromancer with enviromental GS ;)

and since I spoke up I suppose I should slap in my petty grievances with a game.....
    thinking intensifies

Inability to put certain NPCs as decorations in guild halls - I wanna make a stronghold out of it as I am supposed to! but how can I make it so without even basic sentries on the gates?!

• Rauderi.8706Rauderi.8706 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2018

@DiabolicalHamSandwich.8756 said:
    For starters, the fact that majority of NPC's can't fight mobs for longer then a couple seconds before having a heart attack and dying. It is just such a "eh" moment to look at the mini map, and see nothing but a bunch of dead symbols littered throughout. Is there any wonder why the world is in the state it's in? These are the people patrolling the roads and the world. These are our soldiers, warriors, and special units that are suppose to hold the line. Hold back the enemies and/or corruption for all our sake. Yet they die to the most mundane things. Hell, even when they outnumber enemies, they still mostly get kitten. Where are they getting these soldiers from? How the world hasn't collapsed is beyond me.

That one heart vendor in Plains of Ashford. She sits too close to the wildlife, gets punked by a devourer, making you rez her to get access to the vendor point. Minor nuisance, but c'mon, Blood Legion, you're better than this!

@Cormac.3871 said:
    In PvE , when your enemy breaks combat because you have move too far from its spawn, but you are still in combat.

And then they reach their tether point and come back to finish you off!

Many alts! Handle it!

"A condescending answer might as well not be an answer at all."
    -Eloc Freidon.5692

• wiazabi.2549wiazabi.2549 Member ✭✭
    edited November 8, 2018

Not being able to move skills around but its more to do with minor thing like,

engi rifle burst skill is 3 but underwater the burst skill is 2 and since i dont play underwater enough i just tend to use the pull abillity QQ, similar with how blind in bomb kit is 4 but 3 in grenade kit etc normally if a game does that to me i try to place em so abilites either are sorted by cooldowns or what they do but being fixed in gw 2 ( which is ok ) there are just times i wish i could move a few of em around.

• Dami.5046Dami.5046 Member ✭✭✭✭

The fact there are many Maps but you can only taxi to them. GW allowed you to go to the open maps or districts via a drop down menu.
    The sell limit on TP.
    The fact I can't 'clear down' the chat log.
    people who beg for gold.
    The fact that I can't see foes on the mini map, be it Pve or WvW. I miss my red dots!
    Not being able to mark a place on the map with an X or the like to show people where you are heading.
    No notepad in game to store things such a way points, builds or items you need.
    Doing the guild treks and it takes ages to update.
    Nerfs. All the piggin time.

• Cragga the Eighty Third.6015Cragga the Eighty Third.6015 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2018

My very biggest petty rage-inducer:

My character is in a fight. HP is almost bottomed out, so I hit 'Heal.' HP goes up, the red level goes up I say, "Yay, just in time!" --and then I drop dead anyway because I was actually a fraction of a second too late and the heal animations I saw were just there to psyche me out and irritate me >:O

Okay, here's another one: There are heart quests on the map where you have to fight enemies that are REALLY hard to find. One especially comes to mind, I think it's in Snowden Drifts, you have to help the Seraph fight centaurs on one side and Sons of Svanir on the other, and even f you're lucky and there's not other people trying to do the heart quest so that you have to wait for the...(6 or 7?) targets to respawn, the Seraph NPCs frequently kill off the targets before you can get to them. Queensdale is the worst place for this sort of heart quest, like the monastery that takes FOREVER unless you are lucky enough to be there when the centaur attack event is happening, or trying to find portals and ghosts in the swamp, or trying to find centaurs to fight in that one area where the seraph are killing them off as fast as they appear and burning their houses.

• @Majosea.2487 said:

@Tyger.1637 said:
    In the personal story...

"Quay".... IT'S PRONOUNCED 'KEY'

Also with a certain character that needs not be named to be known...it is Claw like with an awwww at the end not Cloor, for example, as in Claw Island.

Many British English accents do that (and some other accents as well) - it's called "intrusive R" (or sometimes "epenthetic R"). If Trahearne didn't do that, his "British" accent would actually sound less convincing - at least to me, as a British English speaker.

• Psientist.6437Psientist.6437 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2018

water droplets thrown at the fourth wall when we exit water
    are they for me or someone else able to throw water droplets at the fourth wall
    pretty petty pretentious helps explain how to pronounce pretty I guess

edit: if the center of the screen was kept free from droplets, droplets would focus on the movement from water to land without being experienced as braking

all primes work and not tearing down has value
    ready purrlayer @ any parsed feels enhance the value of something that is already worth everything
    what other chordal approach but penultimate singing along to quantum cuddle clocks

• @Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

@particlepinata.9865 said:
    Controller support. Believe me, i was all about the pc masterace with mouse when playing shooters and rts-es in the past, even with gw 1 and core gw 2. Now 42 (yes im old) its not so nice anymore on the wrist, hand, arm and neck to the right. Hot is the most demanding in that part. Thats why i like the action games on steam for example that have controller support. Many people who swear by mouse only forget (or are to young to know) that there was a time when pc games where all about having different input support (joysticks, flightsticks, stearing wheels/peddals etc). That is the power of the pc, customability.

Um. I'm older than you(1), and I swear by mouse/keyboard. And I cut my video-gaming teeth, so to speak, on Atari 2600, Intellivision, and the like.

(1) 42 is not old. I'm 52, and I don't consider myself old.

I am 41. Felt old when I turned 12. Didn't improve since then. Had an Atari2600. Love mouse&keyboard, hate all controllers. Really hate.

• Swagger.1459Swagger.1459 Member ✭✭✭✭

My petty grievance... No playable Dwarves.

I will always have a lil bitter spot in my heart toward Anet for not adding them in... And no, making a mobile game with playable Dwarves will not appease me, it will only swell my petty grievance into something not petty.

</3

• @Urud.4925 said:
    Mine (not really a grievance) is that Caithe must die, since she killed a dear sister to spare a crazy lover (thus letting big E. and big T. die). Though I'm aware that love makes you blind.

That misrepresents the story in that part of LS2.

She killed a dear sister to prevent a crazy lover from learning a monstrous secret that would destroy (one way or another) their entire people (including the said dear sister, the said crazy lover, and the said Caithe herself) if the said crazy lover found out about it. I'd say that in this case, love managed to be not at all blind, for once.

Caithe does essential things, but goes about them in the most inexplicably tortuous and indirect manner imaginable, always managing to leave the impression that she's busy betraying you even as she is acting in almost exactly your totally best interest (even though you didn't know it yourself). Her story and the Commander-Outlander's reactions to it are a masterpiece.

@Biff.5312 said:
    Exercise your whimsy.

• Oh, yes, one other thing. My own personal petty grievance, or at least disconcerting element.

In SWTOR's "4.0" expansion story, Knights of the Fallen Empire, your character becomes the Commander of an Alliance while simultaneously being forced into the position of a foreigner acting in what to him is a foreign environment, so you are simultaneously Commander and Outlander.

And of course the player character in GW2 becomes the Pact Commander, commonly called just "Commander", and thereafter you go to Elona (in PoF) and everyone there calls you "Outlander". That was ... disconcerting, because I am surrounded by people who have neither blasters nor lightsabres, and who are not Zakuulans either, and yet there they all are, calling me "Outlander".

@Biff.5312 said:
    Exercise your whimsy.

• @Weindrasi.3805 said:
    Getting endless stacks of Bloodstone Dust, Dragonite Ore, and such which I will NEVER use because I hate crafting, I hate the mystic forge, and I have no interest in legendaries. The eaters can only consume a limited amount per day, which is annoying and more trouble than it's worth, so I don't use them. I just delete.... have probably deleted hundreds of thousands of these materials.

^ This, increase the amount the eaters can eat daily at least.

• Urud.4925Urud.4925 Member ✭✭✭

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

@Urud.4925 said:
    Mine (not really a grievance) is that Caithe must die, since she killed a dear sister to spare a crazy lover (thus letting big E. and big T. die). Though I'm aware that love makes you blind.

That misrepresents the story in that part of LS2.

She killed a dear sister to prevent a crazy lover from learning a monstrous secret that would destroy (one way or another) their entire people (including the said dear sister, the said crazy lover, and the said Caithe herself) if the said crazy lover found out about it. I'd say that in this case, love managed to be not at all blind, for once.

Yeah but, she could have accomplished the same (keep the secret a secret) if she killed the other one present at that moment. And Mordremoth wouldn't have taken the control of big F. that slowed us down in our rescue mission (thus sparing the life of big E. and probably also big T. - though this is not sure).
    I only justify her because she was in love. But I think she did the wrong thing.

Hmm, another grievance since it's a new post... When I accidentally hit a mob, then the mob goes away and I remain forever in combat, unable to mount, without knowing who I have to kill. So I must go to the character selection and relog in.

• my grievances (no i am not serious) part deux: HOT spoiler edition
    1. we get into the Magumma Jungle, get all hyped up with crazy gear and weapons for days... then Faren shows up in his pretty pink panties with a sword. Thanks Faren.
    2. "my name is Ruka... I live on the second floor(of tarir)" is not a song by the time i reach Ruka. also, Taimi's attention span is shorter than short fused felix.
    3. in the "escape big bad Faolain" stage, not a single time do you get to tell Faolain her vines(shoes) are tangled(tied).
    4. "you have to try! do you have a glider?" Ruka, how the heck do you think i GOT this far? i flapped my arms? and no, i am not a tengu(anet make tengu happen)
    5. in the fight stage of the challenges, salt water appears for the first time in the entire game, and yet we have been swimming in every lake and river and ocean with not a single salt water effect before that. also? a golden city cannot produce salt out of golden floors and golden ceilings.
    6. mordrem snipers and pocket raptors should be married, both placed in a pine box, and shipped off to timbuktu!
    7. so lemme get this right. I, the reluctant hero of shaemoor who had to put up with a friend who got himself into trouble for realsies, then get refused to play batman, then befriend a one-armed Charr that's funnier when he is drunk on apple cider(apple cider!) but lose him in a fight, forced to follow the commands of an absentee landlord of a Pact marshall, all the while getting Destiny's edge to play nice nice, kill an elder dragon with a friggin airship canon.... i get stuck with the B-team version of the guild i want having my back but they keep disappearing on me aand having rando emotional problems except for Rytlok who apparently refuses to reveal his OP status as a revnant, only to now have to face another elder dragon with no pact marshall, no destiny's edge, no friggin airship canon, and the best possible offence i have against this dragon is sitting inside the brain of the ONE DUDE i would not blink for a second seeing dead? Friggin Trahearne!!!!!!!!
    8. Plain and simple. Eir did not need to die. i looked at the cut scene a hundred times. there is no legit way that Eir needed to get impaled by the Vinetooth. she had plenty of room to run, had Faolain down for the count, and the wound she had received from faolain was clearly not fatal and could heal. meanwhile? no one even thinks of pulling her out of harms way?
    9. Tonn's wife remembers better than pepperidge farm. and she scares me. Tonn's wife would be excellent at Jeopardy.
    10. all of tangled depths.
    11. the pact is all but destroyed at the beginning of the story, but in Dragon's Stand, the pact is alive and well and taking the fight to Mordy. also, How can the commander of the Pact be fighting the mind of mordremoth and the mouth of mordremoth at the same time(shaddup mesmers)? if you are inside the mind, you cannot be outside the mind and attacking the mouth. the commander breaks the laws of physics here, and i do believe the pact fighting the mouth of mordremoth are in fact zombies. shoot em in the head.
    12. the voice of blighted Faolain is not waking me up or greeting me when i come home from work. please fix that.
    13. we kill mordy. awesome. his power stretches everywhere. even more awesome... as it powers up the egg. wait... wait a darn minute. it "powers up" the egg???? HOW? Glint's scion is encased in a crystalline egg. crystals do not absorb energy, they either refract or reflect(shiny mirror like surface tends to do that) so... unless that egg has hatched already or is cracked in any spot... there is no legit way mordy's energy could have powered up the egg. also... and i am sorry to my sylvari friends... if daddy mordremoth dies in the mind and physically, and he's been controlling all sylvari including mamma tree, then.... well that's it. all sylvari controlled by mordy should go poof. brains shut off, that's it. and if that's the case? the only sylvari that should remain alive are caithe, canach, Laranthir, and you, if you play the sylvari commander. everyone else? lobotomized.
    14. this might be a legitimate grievance... all 9 classes get a taste of their new elite specs... each one doing something different and something they never could before. and yes i get shouts and a warhorn... but tempest.... um.... you are making an elementalist be more of an elementalist. all they do is scream and overload what they already have! poor blokes... at least you eventually get a sword(but that's for another story)

• Cynder.2509Cynder.2509 Member ✭✭✭

Can't really think of anything else right now but I'm sure there's a lot more I could list. But this one here is the first thing that came into my mind:
    That kitten tengu wall and a bunch of other "locked" areas. I just hate to see the world being so incomplete whenever I look at the map. I mean C'mon, not even core maps like for example Kryta seems to be extended to its full as there are certain missing maps like the Alessio Seaboard or Sanctum Cay (the location that is locked behind the tengu wall). I do hope we get to see a lot more of the wotld in the future and I hope that it won't be all locked behind raids as coming back to raids for me (and several others) seems to be like hell with all the ongoing elitism. Unfortunately the group I was doing it with long ago became disinterested in anything game related as we all had something to deal with in real life and so we became more and more inactive with the release of wing 3. I'd really like to see some of its story content though as there are interesting things like the White Mantle arc and the truth about who this "Ragged White Mantle Figurehead" truly is. (I was pretty shocked to see how much people interested in the lore are missing out on elitists who care s.hit about it at all because it's locked behind stupid raids after I've seen some sort of recap video somewhere.) Listen, I'm not bad or anything, I can adapt and I know my stuff but I can't be perfect 100% all the time just so you can rush through everything. I'd rather have some fun with a group that needs longer and doesn't use any of the meta but instead working as a team and thinking own tactics through than someone who yells at me for every wrong step to the right or the left I take. It's hard to find likeminded people these days and this applies to any game in general as there are always people who think it's a competition rather than fun. Plus I have a kind of disfunction which makes hand coordination a problem which most likely lead into cramp attacks and motion sickness so excuse me for not being a machine who can do everything at any time without any sign of human flaw.
    (Yes, I guess these are two things I can actually list here)

I'm Hunter, he/him/they
    Check out my Tumblr for more GW2 content if you want: http://is-it-because-im-charr.tumblr.com/
    Character infos: https://is-it-because-im-charr.tumblr.com/characters

• Too many currencies and too many trash items to be found in inventory that you cannot salvage, consume or sell. There has to be made some separate inventory for quest/task/area/event/bounty items, because it is very annoying to deal with.

• @Rhyse.8179 said:
    No UI customization.

THIS! This is the most infuriating part of GW2 for me. That and not being able to put everything back if you accidentally move it...

• Trise.2865Trise.2865 Member ✭✭✭✭

Nothing is ever good enough.

If we want ANet to step up their game, then we must step up ours.

• Biff.5312Biff.5312 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2018

"Just wait until you give SWTOR a try, and end up in Knights of the Eternal Throne Chapter VIII. The entire time you're moving through the map, you'll find your character involuntarily targeting friendly mobs. That is annoying."

I gave up on SWTOR when it became 'effortless story time'. Used to be a great MMO imo. Instantly unplayable due to a bad expansion.

• Dami.5046Dami.5046 Member ✭✭✭✭

i forgot to add, when your game crashes / you d/c/ generally get booted off game in the middle of doing the story and you end up back at the start. :#

• DeanBB.4268DeanBB.4268 Member ✭✭✭

@blackheartgary.8605 said:
    my grievances (no i am not serious) part deux: HOT spoiler edition
    13. ...blah blah blah... if daddy mordremoth dies in the mind and physically, and he's been controlling all sylvari including mamma tree, then.... well that's it. all sylvari controlled by mordy should go poof.

I'm sorry. That is such an over-used trope and I'm very glad Anet didn't choose that path.

Pretty much all of my petty grievances have been named. One that I think hasn't been mentioned happens fairly rarely, but is annoying when it does: Travel to a new destination where you wish to park your character before exiting. Start up again to find them somewhere they had been previously, like that last 5 minutes didn't happen.

X__________________________
    (Signature Required)

• @Linebreaker.7904 said:

And while we are on the subject of autotarget, please target the mob in front of me, not the thing I ran past 10 seconds ago, or the thing I can't even see on screen.

THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS!!!!!!!!!!
    Also, trying to target the thing that's actively pummeling me instead of every other kitten thing in the room.

• DaFishBob.6518DaFishBob.6518 Member ✭✭✭

Got another one:

"I've got deals you won't believe!"
    -banker NPC

... that's my stuff you have there you know that?

• -getting CC spammed
    -logging in and getting attacked while in loading screen
    -Dhuum greens, orbs hitboxes still wonky
    -inconsistent pricing on gemstore
    -being a healer in raids STOP GETTING HIT CA IS ON COOLDOWN!
    -my luck with getting precursors. took 7k hours to get my first (and only) one. artificial pricing of crafting precursor to go along with that.
    -the removal of weekly achievements, bring those back please.

could go on with more petty complaints but im lazy

• dusanyu.4057dusanyu.4057 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2018

Greatswords, why are they always so ungodly huge, one of the few good great sword skins is the Basic steel great sword most others are so large if you could swing them you would either 1 throw yourself to the floor with the momentum generated or two if you had super sticky shoe powers rip your arms out of the sockets or both

Two handed swords on the back? I blame Hollywood, but it does not take very long to think how would you draw a long blade like that from your back unless you stretch Armstrong it would hang up in the sheath no ... just ... no

two handed sword combat every time i use a great sword i want to sing "Take me out to the ball game" because i am handling that blade like a ball bat. not ecen a semblance of a guard position even the simple "Ochs" guard position would be a huge improvement good place to look is this essay on The Basic Guards of Medieval Long sword on the arma http://www.thearma.org/essays/StancesIntro.htm#.WJ73Pfl96iM

Shields on the back while it is possible some may have carried there shields this way for long trips if they entered a location where combat was expected the shield was held either Tyrians have 6 extra joints on there arms, or your not quickly grabbing a shield off your back and fluidly equipping it

lastly technique with the shield watch the animation, every time you swing you pull your shield away where it would not be going you any good. you should be keeping it between you and the person you are fighting so it can be used for its job, to parry attacks. sword technique however changes with a shield and i will agree most people would find the low underhand and overhand arcing thrusts boring to watch.

TLDR: the commander fights like a ninny

• Neutra.6857Neutra.6857 Member ✭✭✭

Why did I dodge backwards, I said dodge forwards.

• Zaklex.6308Zaklex.6308 Member ✭✭✭✭

@particlepinata.9865 said:
    Controller support. Believe me, i was all about the pc masterace with mouse when playing shooters and rts-es in the past, even with gw 1 and core gw 2. Now 42 (yes im old) its not so nice anymore on the wrist, hand, arm and neck to the right. Hot is the most demanding in that part. Thats why i like the action games on steam for example that have controller support. Many people who swear by mouse only forget (or are to young to know) that there was a time when pc games where all about having different input support (joysticks, flightsticks, stearing wheels/peddals etc). That is the power of the pc, customability.

Uh, pretty sure age has nothing to do with it...55 here and died in the wool mouse user(have been forever on the PC), as a matter of fact I practically do everything with the mouse, hardly use the keyboard at all(other than movement of course), and I can do that for hours on end...guess it's just having everything at the correct level(ergonomically) to not cause issues and not having a genetic predisposition to carpal tunnel syndrome.

On topic though, my petty grievance is people having a grievance against petty things in a game that have no consequence what so ever or are just personal annoyances.

Yes...no...maybe...what do you want, can't you see I'm busy saving the world...AGAIN!

• Batel.9206Batel.9206 Member ✭✭✭

Thought of another one: having to wait months and months for certain Black Lion weapon skins to be made available again. (Can't just buy them on the trading post, because the prices are so exorbitantly expensive by now...) :(

fear not this night
    you will not go astray

• XenoSpyro.1780XenoSpyro.1780 Member ✭✭✭

Reveal not affecting any NPC with access to stealth.

• Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2018

@Rauderi.8706 said:
    GEOR-mag.

Kitten that. Norn are obviously rooted in Norse naming conventions, but that hard J grates on my psyche every time.

Hah! The American pronunciation of Norse/Skandinavian/German names in GW2 infuriates me every single time. Everything, from Hoelbrak to Braham or Gretchen^ , is mispronounced in this game. :angry:

^) This, by the way, is the affectionate form of the name Margarete and used only for little girls - so seeing strong Norn women wearing that name is ridiculing.

• Undertow.2389Undertow.2389 Member ✭✭✭

The camera auto centering behind you that you can't turn off only when riding on mounts. Makes it so annoying to take a screenshot from the front while moving and mounted.

• sorudo.9054sorudo.9054 Member ✭✭✭✭

anything ascended takes tons of time to get (except things from laurels) and it's always stuck behind the horrid frikin crafting, as long as the crafting system isn't anywhere close to fun i will never enjoy crafting one bit and never get it to 450 let alone 500.

• Urud.4925Urud.4925 Member ✭✭✭

@DaFishBob.6518 said:
    Got another one:

"I've got deals you won't believe!"
    -banker NPC

... that's my stuff you have there you know that?

And what about the "I know your face from my dream!" ?
    She said it to at least a million of people in Lion's Arch. That sylvari must have had a very long dream. And an excellent memory.
    Speaking about sylvari, Tegwen was a very good character and her dead was totally avoidable. Or at least I didn't understand why she couldn't move away after launching the signal.

• It is probably more like a big grievance for me... Back in the day when I started HoT about a year ago I had no idea about precursors... And their worth... I had a Legend drop for my guardian and immediately equipped it. Then salvaged it cause I thought Staff is a garbage weapon. I salvaged a precursor. Beat that.

• Yannir.4132Yannir.4132 Member ✭✭✭✭

That Hare Spirit heart in Wayfarer Foothills... Bless the Six, that's a tedious one to do. Or the Eldwin Monastery heart.

The inventory bloat from LW episodes. I have over a stack of Frostbitten Suet. Enough already!

• Einlanzer.1627Einlanzer.1627 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2018

@Tyger.1637 said:
    In the personal story...

This, in spades! And "Caer" is pronounced (except in GW2) as if it is "kyre", not "cair". And "Niamh" ==> "Neeve", not "Nee-am".

"Gollum" bothers me more than these examples. It is and always has been "goh-lem"; I only started hearing "gollum" after LotR came out. It's not the same word! I also agree with @Gaile Gray.6029 about Wyvern.

I have more tolerance for the examples above because they are just English phonetic pronunciations of non-english words that don't translate easily to native english speakers, which is both common in the real world and no big deal. It's like "cruh-sahnt" vs "quo-saaahhh". Saying it the latter way when you aren't French kinda just makes you look like a tool. I mean, how many Americans trill their r when they say "burrito"?

• I think that, from a QoL-perspective, GW2 is one of - if not the - most well-designed MMOs I have ever played. Classes feel reasonably fleshed out and the skill system is rather deep and opens up for a lot of experimentation. I also love the TP for its accessability and ease of use. However, I do have a few gripes:

1. Transmutation. ArenaNet, just get a copy of Rift and take a look at their wardrobe system. Enough said. Personally, I got tired of having to transmute everything whenever I switched builds and just purchased an outfit.
    2. Inventory upgrades. Bag slot expansions being for that character only makes alts less attractive to play (to me, that is). Maybe give a discount to every subsequent character who unlocks the same expansion slot, i.e. 400 gems for the initial purchase, 200 for the first alt that unlocks the same expansion slot, 100 for the next, then 50, then 25, and maybe 0 for the rest (if applicable)?
    3. End game items. I suppose I'm not going to receive a lot of backing on this one, but to me the whole endgame recipes/ascended/legendary shenanigans feels extremely convoluted. There's trader X who sells recipes A, B, C and D for currency Y, and then there's trader Z who sells recipes E, F, G and H for currency V. Also, you need achievement J to get item K, which you then have to combine with item O, P and Q in the mystic forge. To do this, you also need to train a certain skill and must have defeated boss L and used item M on his corpse. Before you can do any of this, though, you must have acquired weapon N, which you can get by combining... bla bla bla. Yeah, I know I am probably exaggerating (or not?), but I find it highly confusing (it probably isn't once I do some proper research, but at this point I feel like I just can't be kitten...). Luckily, exotics are nearly on par, so I don't feel like a total kitten when roaming the game world.

But, overall GW2 is a great game, probably the MMO I have enjoyed the most so far in 15 years of playing online games.

• dusanyu.4057dusanyu.4057 Member ✭✭✭

@Einlanzer.1627 said:

@Tyger.1637 said:
    In the personal story...

This, in spades! And "Caer" is pronounced (except in GW2) as if it is "kyre", not "cair". And "Niamh" ==> "Neeve", not "Nee-am".

"Gollum" bothers me more than these examples. It is and always has been "goh-lem"; I only started hearing "gollum" after LotR came out. It's not the same word! I also agree with @Gaile Gray.6029 about Wyvern.

I have more tolerance for the examples above because they are just English phonetic pronunciations of non-english words that don't translate easily to native english speakers, which is both common in the real world and no big deal. It's like "cruh-sahnt" vs "quo-saaahhh". Saying it the latter way when you aren't French kinda just makes you look like a tool. I mean, how many Americans trill their r when they say "burrito"?

I forgave the pronunciation of golem thinking by thinking that it is not the construct from Jewish Folklore. and Anet made it easy to do so in gw1 by turning G.O.L.E.M. into a very cute and very smugly asura backronym "Genius Operated Living Enchanted Manifestation" if you use the first letters in that phrase as pronounced you get the way golem is pronounced in the GW franchise.

• Einlanzer.1627Einlanzer.1627 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2018

@dusanyu.4057 said:

@Einlanzer.1627 said:

@Tyger.1637 said:
    In the personal story...

I forgave the pronunciation of golem thinking by thinking that it is not the construct from Jewish Folklore. and Anet made it easy to do so in gw1 by turning G.O.L.E.M. into a very cute and very smugly asura backronym "Genius Operated Living Enchanted Manifestation" if you use the first letters in that phrase as pronounced you get the way golem is pronounced in the GW franchise.

That's interesting - I played a bit of GW1 but didn't remember this.

However, it must be mentioned that acronyms are generally pronounced phonetically and not based on the words that comprise them. This ties into the "Gif" vs "Jif" argument. That video that went viral a few years back really irks me because the guy is arguing so aggressively and it brainwashed the whole population using a bad argument. The fact that the first word is graphics is irrelevant - it is very appropriate to pronounce it "jiff" because that's the phonetic pronunciation using standard english rules. This is doubly true since the creator says that's the pronunciation.

I love when I say "jiff" and someone corrects me like an elitist and gives me an opening to correct their correction. Kind of like octopi/octopuses, hehheh.

• Rauderi.8706Rauderi.8706 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Einlanzer.1627 said:
    I love when I say "jiff" and someone corrects me like an elitist and gives me an opening to correct their correction. Kind of like octopi/octopuses, hehheh.

Let's not start that here, and just make ready for all those wonderful Wintersday Jifts. :)

Meanwhile, is it considered "petty" to be mad that Jewelcrafting doesn't go to 500 for ascended gear, or is that more of a "major failing"?

Many alts! Handle it!

"A condescending answer might as well not be an answer at all."
    -Eloc Freidon.5692

• Jimbru.6014Jimbru.6014 Member ✭✭✭

GW2 peeves?

Auto-targeting that selects every mob on the map EXCEPT the one that's right in front of you hitting you. Seriously, auto-targeting needs to be fixed. It should prioritize mobs that are actually in combat with you, and then the closest mob in your direct line of sight. Not mobs that are out of range and obstructed, as it all too often does.

A crafting system that requires you to farm, buy, or otherwise gather literally thousands of items to make one cosmetic skin. Nightfury, I'm looking at you. Don't even get me started on legendaries. I'm making one BLEEPING weapon, not building a skyscraper...

Boss fights and similar events which seem designed to beat you by sheer sensory overload and video lag, with tons of adds and/or unavoidable barrages of AOE.

An unbalanced combat system that encourages glass cannon melee builds, then arms bosses with more one-shot damage than the base HP of most classes.

AOE attacks bigger than their visible boundaries on the screen. Also attacks that come too quick to avoid; by the time the marker appears on your screen, it's already too late.

Pet and minion pathing. Ummm, hey flesh golem, I'm over HERE...

• kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Delerium.5291 said:
    I think that, from a QoL-perspective, GW2 is one of - if not the - most well-designed MMOs I have ever played. Classes feel reasonably fleshed out and the skill system is rather deep and opens up for a lot of experimentation. I also love the TP for its accessability and ease of use. However, I do have a few gripes:

1. Transmutation. ArenaNet, just get a copy of Rift and take a look at their wardrobe system. Enough said. Personally, I got tired of having to transmute everything whenever I switched builds and just purchased an outfit.
    2. Inventory upgrades. Bag slot expansions being for that character only makes alts less attractive to play (to me, that is). Maybe give a discount to every subsequent character who unlocks the same expansion slot, i.e. 400 gems for the initial purchase, 200 for the first alt that unlocks the same expansion slot, 100 for the next, then 50, then 25, and maybe 0 for the rest (if applicable)?
    3. End game items. I suppose I'm not going to receive a lot of backing on this one, but to me the whole endgame recipes/ascended/legendary shenanigans feels extremely convoluted. There's trader X who sells recipes A, B, C and D for currency Y, and then there's trader Z who sells recipes E, F, G and H for currency V. Also, you need achievement J to get item K, which you then have to combine with item O, P and Q in the mystic forge. To do this, you also need to train a certain skill and must have defeated boss L and used item M on his corpse. Before you can do any of this, though, you must have acquired weapon N, which you can get by combining... bla bla bla. Yeah, I know I am probably exaggerating (or not?), but I find it highly confusing (it probably isn't once I do some proper research, but at this point I feel like I just can't be kitten...). Luckily, exotics are nearly on par, so I don't feel like a total kitten when roaming the game world.

But, overall GW2 is a great game, probably the MMO I have enjoyed the most so far in 15 years of playing online games.

For items 1 and 2 we need to ask "What's in it for ANet?" Transmutations and inventory upgrades are purchasable items which is one way for ANet to get money (someone has to have purchased the gems whether it is you or someone else and you converted gold to gems).

I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

• and my final list(i swear this is it) of "petty grievances" (no i am NOT being serious), Path of Fire Edition
    SPOILERS AHEAD.
    1. So... after all my VERY reluctant hero of shaemoor/order rep/dragon slayer has had to go through, including listening to caudecus' incessant whining about how great he is... and don't even get me started on the painting with Logan(poor poor Logan can't even land Caudecus), I now have to not only Take down a God, but i have to do it while fending off another round of zombies led by Joko, a never-ending supply of Forged nightmares, AND i have to do all of that while NOT killing an elder dragon because all of a sudden killing elder dragons are bad, mmk? THIS information could have been brought to my attention back during the zhaitan fight, right before we had to get on that airship. that way, I'd politely pull a Trahearne and say "my wyld hunt is over, screw you guys i am goin home."
    2. that ______ chef in the crystal oasis BETTER start hiring his own help, or the only thing i will be throwing at him is dancing daggers and the occasional death's judgement.
    3. while we are on the subject of the Oasis, can we just talk about the poor bastich awakened merchant that has to sell people mini awakened dolls? i mean.... couldn't Joko's generals give him anything else to say except "you buy?"
    4. Choya stampedes gate. not a single NPC lifts a finger to help. Perhaps if we asked Taidha Covington to build a gate at Amnoon, they wouldn't have this problem.
    5. that moment when you are in the clear and a shark delivers a staggering RKO outta nowhere. in the desert.
    6. Tag sets up a squad to take on the Legendary Facet. 50 people join in. Tag tells everyone to leave the facet alone till everyone shows up. and then? aaaannnnnd THEN? someone triggers the facet. just because. both chaos and hilarity ensue.
    7. Taimi's constant over use of her communication device. who's paying for the minutes? are there roaming charges? WHY IS SHE ALWAYS BUSY when i call her back?
    8. that moment when a harpy spellbreaker refuses to allow any attempts for you to get back up. ever.
    9. Rytlock let Balthazar loose from his chains in the mists. not a single eye is twitching. not a single NPC triggered. the Hairy furball goes "oops i did it again". NO BRITTANY, this does not fly.
    10. I get why the gods left and refuse to fight the elder dragons, but you would think they would have left us with something telling us that killing them was bad. Hell, Taimi, a cute tiny Asura pre-teen with cell phone addiction, can divulge killing them is bad, so why didn't the Gods?
    11. ToPK(tomb of the primeval Kings) is way way too easy to a: enter, B: rob from, and C: walk out in one piece.
    12. alright, I get we go one on one with the great Balthy-one... and he kills us. like literally kills us. poof that's it. what i don't get is when we enter what i assume is a waystation for the dead, we immediately forget our name, address, phone number, purpose and the fact that we just went one on one with a God. ONE of those things should have been a residual memory. perhaps it's the phone number.
    13. Now don't get me wrong, I enjoy impersonating an awakened general any day of the week same as the next fella. but Iberu is HUGE. he towers over a Norn for crying out loud. not only that, but the awakened have even seen Iberu. so how did Kas drop that memser magic on us so well that we not only sound like the archon, look like the archon, but convince the "smartest" military minds in the awakened army that we are Iberu? On top of that, I do not see a single sylvari or charr awakened. anywhere. how did canach and "cuddles" pass?
    14. Canach and Rytlock... still a better love story than Jennah/Logan.
    15. yes yes... Praise Joko. also, Praise Sohothin, because that sword basically ended Balthazar. (psst, don't tell Logan we had the sword in our hands and didn't give it back to him)
    16. so... lemme get this right. Taimi has "daddy" issues with Phlunt. Kas had daddy issues with her legit dad. My parents died(and i am still not batman)=more daddy issues. Rox had daddy issues from being a Gladium and not being allowed in Rytlok's warband. Canach had daddy issues when we killed his dad, Mordremoth. Aurene's now got daddy issues because Kralkatorrik. kitten near every one of our team has daddy issues? you mean to tell me that the only person without daddy issues is... FAREN?
    17. (kinda PoF related) so... flash forward to the title fight with Palawa Joko.Commander goes through funhouse. traps for days. every possible way to inform the commander that they should not be taking on Joko is put in Joko's face(including our wingman being Braham). we get super super hyped and legit ready to whoop palawa Joko's rooty poo candy kitten. the fight begins, and just as we are about to deliver the stunner? aurene swoops in and EATS HIM??? also.... If we, the commander, are such a bad person, getting all of those people killed in in our quest to figure out a solution to the elder dragon problem, including making 2 other mistakes by killing 2 elder dragons already... this INSTANTLY reaffirms my very first grievance: I never wanted to be the gosh darn hero!
    18.kitten you trahearne. kitten you to hell.

• Invisible walls (NOT the map border ones). Especially on PoF maps and LWS4 that were supposedly designed with mounts in mind. Why give us mounts and awesome maps to explore if you're just straight up going to tell us "no, eff you, you can't go there". I spent 10 minutes jumping up a freaking mountain to then glide down for my Mastery point only to hit an invisible wall and realize I can just go around on foot. Sure, it's easier, but that's not the point. I found a way, and I get penalized for it. They are the pinnacle of lazy environment design. What ticks me off most is that GW2 environments are definitely NOT lazily designed, just their limits are infuriatingly cheap.

@dusanyu.4057 said:
    Greatswords, why are they always so ungodly huge, one of the few good great sword skins is the Basic steel great sword most others are so large if you could swing them you would either 1 throw yourself to the floor with the momentum generated or two if you had super sticky shoe powers rip your arms out of the sockets or both

Two handed swords on the back? I blame Hollywood, but it does not take very long to think how would you draw a long blade like that from your back unless you stretch Armstrong it would hang up in the sheath no ... just ... no

two handed sword combat every time i use a great sword i want to sing "Take me out to the ball game" because i am handling that blade like a ball bat. not ecen a semblance of a guard position even the simple "Ochs" guard position would be a huge improvement good place to look is this essay on The Basic Guards of Medieval Long sword on the arma http://www.thearma.org/essays/StancesIntro.htm#.WJ73Pfl96iM

YES. THIS. The only good greatswords are the Basic ones. I can get maybe Twilight with that whole "it's really a dark magic saber etc." thing going on, but... the Vigil greatsword is the pinnacle of paddleness to me.

• cracks knuckles I've been waiting for a thread like this...
    Currencies... SO MANY. Not including the tickets/collectables for this that and every-puppy-thing. WvWvW = 4, PvP = 3, Silverwastes = 4.

First off, all the birds of Tyria are either afraid of heights or are short sighted. They spend more time walking around than flying, and when they do fly you can guarantee it will be into any of your ranged fire. And speaking of suicidal animals what is it with the likes of Deer etc. There's a large fight going on, noise, flashing spells, folks shouting "shake it off" (shake what off, my flailing limb?) and they gently waltz into the line of fire and attack you, just to spawn a few minutes later and do the EXACT. SAME. THING.

The Iron Legion are in for a significant amount of work when the weather starts to rust the Black Citadel, they will have to rename it the dirty orange citadel. Also as the Charr have claws why do so many of their floor panelling have filigree, it's no wonder they walk funny as it must be murder constantly getting your claws stuck in the grating.
    Now the Charr aren't an endangered animal, unfortunately, so WHY can't I gather their pelt? I've accidentality(?) killed a few and often thought that they would make a nice pair of slippers.
    Oh and Tybalt, meh.

I've read nmerous comments about Traherene, but NOT one comment about that damnable one in Camp Resolve "If Mordremoth could attack the Mother Tree in the Grove, it can attack anywhere." EVERY. MINUTE. If we shove him ^^ along with Traherene into the Mystic Forge could we get Magister Sieran back... PLEASE.
    And I can't be the only one that actually liked Scarlet Briar.

The Norn who really annoys me is... Braham (I'd kill him myself if it would bring Eir back).
    Who is Jhavi Jorasdottir, and why would I want to fight with her. (found out from the Wiki who she is) and who the puppy is Steag and what DID I do to him, I don't remember.
    I can't be the only one that is suspicious of Sonder the Seller, I don't know where he keeps all the sweets but he must have magic pockets (get the reference? :) )

Samuel Cuttler. Can we send him to Orr? Somewhere away from people.
    How has Logan kept his job as the Seraph commander? I do more than him, during the attack on Sheamore he just stands there and the whole business with Big Nose Ted guess who ends up dealing with that one? Oh look ME again.
    And why oh why don't the Centaur just go around the Garrison.

• As a few people have stated, ranged auto attacks trying to hit those they can't. My worse case of this is in WvW, I'll stand in the lords room of towers and some keeps with the lord right in front of me, hit 1 for the auto attack on my rifle for the lord and I'm suddenly aiming at the wall. Even worse is it will say "obscured" when I can't see it and often will say "out of range" the other times. Why even?

• As others have said, auto attacks aiming at the wrong target. My worst case of this is in WvW when fighting lord in towers and some keeps. I can stand right in front of them and my rifle tries to attack the walls. Since I'm not near the walls I'm constantly getting "obscured" and "out of range" messages, why even?

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.