Need Inspiration to Log In

I took a um...break for 6 months and i have logged in i think 3 times the past month. During that 6 months other than a LS being released and new mount nothing really has seemed to change. I look around, I read some chat and it seems that fashion is about the only thing in.

During my break I took up another MMO to pass some time but coming back I see no incentive for a player like me to play. Due to work constraints I do not raid and fractals just isn't me but seems that it is just repetitive to come back and do some world bosses and farm. Even people I lost contact with and re-established with in discord seem to be doing other things outside the game after dailies, a boss run or two. I know there is somewhat of a new player base but what incentive is there to progress?

Obviously there are those that have fun but only one rep seems to answer posts and even then it is more to chime in than offer anything up about the game unless there is an issue. Everything seems to be a gold rush now or GEM spending.

The one guild I did a lot with, many have moved on and once again other than some dailies they pop on and then off. Is there anything coming that is even worth logging in for anymore? I did a lot of WvW the last couple years and even that became boring to a point that led me to my "break" because I just couldn't handle being beat down by a hack with no recourse.

What do you want to see in this game for the future? People begged for mounts told no but then mounts came. People have asked for much but seems little given. Never supposed to be raids. Then raids came. Fractals were fun then major changes came for those who can dedicate the time and left others behind. When people ask for certain things the typical response from the community is this is not WoW or some other game. Many MMOs have the same type of in game things to do but applied differently. Seems GW2 has lost it's luster to me. I lasted 5 years in WoW before being burnt out and maybe that's my limit as I reached 5 here.

So change my mind... give me some ideas because really I do not see the point to log in for a daily, a boss and then run around aimlessly.

Well, im wondering what you actually do want from this game?

You say you dont like instanced pve content so you lose the hardcore pve 'progression' and are limited to the more casual cosmetics endgame which this game is built around. I dont understand then why you would be unhappy that the game added more cosmetics to collect.Pve has recieved a ton of updates in 6 months, including 2 new maps with around 20 achievements to earn in each. For a no sub game thats pretty good. It also had 2 major festivals with new content and new rewards. A 3rd festival will come in 1 month.

As for wvw, they are rework the matchmaking into alliances instead of server based. It would be pointless to introduce new systems, only to have them become obsolete as soon as the rework hits.

Anet never said no to mounts. They said nothing about them actually, other than they werent planning to add them right after launch. I think your complaints against raids and fractals are unfounded. The team that creates them is only a handful of people and content for them comes out once per year.. its not taking away resources from other areas.

fractals can be very quick ... dedicate time? lolHave you tried them since the revamp? Most of them are faster now.I had avoided them since returning, finally gave them a try and realised the change is a major improvement for those with less time.

Raids can also be fast... training runs are slow and can take a couple of hours because people are learning.

Perhaps the game isn't catching your interest, because it's not fun for you? Tho you evidently want it to be.What appeals to you in other games?

it´s really ok if you dont want to play this game as your main game and only play it only from time to timejust make sure to login when a new living story episode is released to get it for free and play it later in one go instead of having to wait between episodes

For what it's worth the things that keep me interested in the game are playing the story, exploring PvE maps, collecting cosmetics I like (mini pets, armour and weapon skins and sometimes other bits) and sometimes doing achievements which interest me.

I'm not interested in progression - to me that's just a way of gating content. Which can be a perfectly valid way of setting up a game - for example I think it's a good idea not to give a brand new player access to all their skills and abilities and every area of the game, because that can be overwhelming. But I'm quite happy to reach a point where I'm 'done' with progression and can focus on playing what I want, because I want to do it rather than because I have to do it to be allowed into the parts of the game I want to play.

I think it probably helps that I only play for about 2 hours at a time, and not every day, so I'm highly unlikely to ever reach a point where I've finished everything I want to do and there's a long way for new content - I almost never completely finish a release before a new one comes out. But I also think you're right that this game is not for everyone, and that's ok. If you don't enjoy open-world PvE or instanced stories and you're not able or interested in committing the time to do raids and high level Fractals you probably are going to run out of things to do.

@"usnedward.9023" said:So change my mind... give me some ideas because really I do not see the point to log in for a daily, a boss and then run around aimlessly.Look for a new game.

I mean that in a positive way: if you feel uninspired to play this game, then the best thing to do is... absolutely anything else. The worst thing you can do is to look to other people to help you out of your slump, your malaise. There's nothing wrong with running out of steam to play a game. There are very, very few people who can remain thrilled doing the same thing every day. Even artists/musicians lose enthusiasm. Writer's Block is real. Pushing yourself to find inspiration is a good way to completely destroy any joy you have to a hobby or vocation.

Instead, try other games. Try participating in National Novel Writing Month. Learn to scuba dive. Take up the oboe. It's almost hip now.

At some point, if you still have more than a spark of interest in GW2, you'll find an excuse to return. And you'll do so, with relish. (And perhaps mustard.) Because it's a fun game with a fun community.

In the meantime, the game's not going anywhere. It will still be around whenever (or if ever) its Siren's Call lures you back again.

i don't spend most of my golds unless it's for my guild hall. so once my guild hall is maxed out, i guess i'll be spending a bit more towards myself.as for the gem, i always convert golds to gems. i know it's not optimal, but i'm moving across states for work a lot, so i'd like some extra to pamper myself irl instead of in the game. and like i said above i don't use a whole lot of golds, so they just pile up. and there's no better way than to convert.

it's hard to answer your questions. this you have to look into yourself and find your incentives. my own incentives will not motivate you.if it's a community you're looking for, catching up with friends, or playing with them, then perhaps it's time to look for a new guild? a community is very important.it helps shape new/vet players and give them a reason to play, or people to play it with.
don't feel like it's gold rush or gem spending just because people around you farm all day every day to get golds and buy all the things they want on the tp.i for once, do not farm. i do my fractal dailies and i may do it one more go to help out with others, but that's it for me.my online time is not a lot, so i usually do fractals, a bit of dungeons/raids if everyone's into at the time, then some open world events and that's it.but the main point is that i have fun. fun in a good community is what keeps me going and make me interested in this game over and over again.

there are a lot of things to do in game, friend. my friends who have played this since beta still have a lot of achievements to do and areas they're not familiar with. and that they want to learn about. what spark your interests? what do you want to do in game? do it. give yourself a purpose, a goal to look into.craft legendary? some people play for 5 years and only craft their first legendary now. there are so much the game has to offer.a friend told me that WoW didn't have old currencies like GW2 does. meaning you can visit old places, reminisce and what not in here whereas you can't in WoW.

@usnedward.9023 said:Appreciate all the comments. Think the best advice to follow given here is to just stay away for the time being. Login to get LS when they are released and maybe the next XPAC whenever it comes out will be the inspiration I am looking for.

Good luck :)Let us know what happens either way (e.g. your GW2 muse finds you again or you find something else you like better. Or differently.)

You need to find that yourself unfortunately. I have a few friends moved on to other games.. no one including myself can make them stay.. doesn't matter how we try..
People find their game. :)I play this games since day one. Don't do everything but I log in everyday :) I always find a reason to log in to check out things..

@"usnedward.9023" said:I took a um...break for 6 months and i have logged in i think 3 times the past month. During that 6 months other than a LS being released and new mount nothing really has seemed to change. I look around, I read some chat and it seems that fashion is about the only thing in.

During my break I took up another MMO to pass some time but coming back I see no incentive for a player like me to play. Due to work constraints I do not raid and fractals just isn't me but seems that it is just repetitive to come back and do some world bosses and farm. Even people I lost contact with and re-established with in discord seem to be doing other things outside the game after dailies, a boss run or two. I know there is somewhat of a new player base but what incentive is there to progress?

Obviously there are those that have fun but only one rep seems to answer posts and even then it is more to chime in than offer anything up about the game unless there is an issue. Everything seems to be a gold rush now or GEM spending.

The one guild I did a lot with, many have moved on and once again other than some dailies they pop on and then off. Is there anything coming that is even worth logging in for anymore? I did a lot of WvW the last couple years and even that became boring to a point that led me to my "break" because I just couldn't handle being beat down by a hack with no recourse.

What do you want to see in this game for the future? People begged for mounts told no but then mounts came. People have asked for much but seems little given. Never supposed to be raids. Then raids came. Fractals were fun then major changes came for those who can dedicate the time and left others behind. When people ask for certain things the typical response from the community is this is not WoW or some other game. Many MMOs have the same type of in game things to do but applied differently. Seems GW2 has lost it's luster to me. I lasted 5 years in WoW before being burnt out and maybe that's my limit as I reached 5 here.

So change my mind... give me some ideas because really I do not see the point to log in for a daily, a boss and then run around aimlessly.

I feel the same too. The only reason I am still hanging onto this game is WvW. But lately I have lost interest in WvW too because more and more ellistic but mostly toxic commanders and guilds only want meta classes in their squad. Can't blame them actually. ANet created these boring and limited metas in WvW. And that's call balance...

I don't mind doing fashion war either, I like to dress pretty :D But for years I have been asking for more QoLs like having swimsuits or the option to dye our undies so that I could really feel relax on the beach and not feeling embarrass to show my 6 year old and never changed, yellow undies. Give us more 'lady like' outfits please, not every girl toon is a man playing her -.- This is 2018, there are many ladies playing MMO. You know right?

I also kinda enjoy logging in to relax and chat with friends and guildlies but those are gone too. Many have either left or rarely login any more. And those guildlies online are just random strangers the guild officers added just to fill up the guild numbers. These people don't chat and never response to any queries. They are just there, 95% not representing the guild. Total failure.

And lately, all I see what ANet do to the game is nerf, nerf, and more nerfs, making us feel weak and ineffective against even trash mobs and this is call balancing again? Right. Just yesterday, when I was on my way to help fight the Legendary Facet, i was being 'one shotted' from my mount and nearly fell to my death. My mounts used to be able to tank at least 2 to 3 enemy's shots. What happened? Oh yes, 'balance' again.

Continue to nerf every thing and reward only those that spend many hours playing each week while ignoring casual players. You have to play many hours every day just to get some decent gears and stuff. There are many casual players who are regular money spenders too. Continue with this trend and eventually you'll lose all of us and nerf your own revenue in the long run.

I used to login and play for a few hours every day but I have not login at all for the past few days. Indeed, I see no incentives to login anymore. As usual, happy flaming if you disagree with me : D

Chess has not changed for centuries and people still play it. GW2 has so incredibly much to do, from solo. small groups, big groups up to organised or unorganised zergs, if there is nothing left for you to enjoy then it may be a mistake to hang around and worry about no new content. It seems to me that you rush through content too fast, like many people do.

Or saying it differently: If you play to reach goals, and not because you enjoy playing, GW2 just might not be the ideal game for you. GW2 may not be about "reaching the top", but more about making strolls on the mountain and enjoying it.

@"Ardid.7203" said:Do you know every LS comes with a complete map with achievements and gear, right?

That's the only thing that keeps me going: waiting for the next release of new content. There is no fun in repeating old content a dozen times, and the OP is right, a lot feels repetitive and boring. There is no feel of "adventure" in this game, so the only thing coming close to it is the excitement of playing new content.

I think it is important for folks that enjoy computer games (or 'gamers' if you want to be all young and hip) to recognize that they're just... games. They're not really designed to provide or satisfy all your social and/entertainment needs, especially long term. And with time, our needs can change.

It's tempting to make a game or gaming the focus of our recreational activities, especially if you've grown up with the interwebz and digital games. But really, most games focus on delivering a hedonistic experience, a 'quick fix' and as such train their players to hunt and indulge in such. Such fixes are of the moment and fleeting*

It's ok to move on. And obviously, we can move on and return.

And personally I'd say that, if you have to try hard to 'have fun' playing a game, I'd wager the game, at this time, is not for you.

*..compared to an eudaimonic experience. For example, the self reflection that can occur much later, perhaps as the result of engaging with a particularly moving narrative.

Archived