Server Pride OR Guild Pride: Which is better?

Whiteout.1975

The goal here is to illustrate why people believe one form of Pride is "Better" to have than the other. So there will be NO "Both" OR "Other" option. Should it even apply.Suppose you were trying to communicate to anyone. Why you hold 1 form of Pride (Your choice) higher over the other. Which is Better to you and why?

I made this Post because from time to time I see talks of Server Pride and Guild Pride. Also, it is my own belief that ether Pride, in general, is a major driving force towards people's various actions and emotions regarding WvW. I'm just Curious about both sides of the Coin. Then to see if one side yields to be more shinier than the other here. That's all.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Overall server pride is good in getting multiple groups of people to care to fight for each other in something as big as wvw. But if you're in a guild, they are the people you will interact with the most and over time people tend to only want to interact with those players, especially when the guild starts moving servers.

Server pride started dying after servers started dying, which was greatly accelerated with HoT right into folding servers into links, and will be a none factor with the alliance system. Having an identity also promotes server pride, as seen in every other rvr games, but for gw2 that's basically none existent other than what players created for their servers due to the way the players played the game, something that will be fully reset every 8 weeks.

Going forward it's all about guild or alliance pride, but mostly guild.

Most servers were filled up by luck or stacking. Most players picked a server randomly when they started or their friends picked one together. Afterwards most players transferred to a populated server before it was locked or hop around with their guild.

Ultimately though, the guild a player is in is a larger reflection of the values and effectiveness of a player. Just because a player is on BG doesn't make them good/bad. Players in a good skill based guild however, yeah that commands respect, fear or both.

None. Having read the [Kazo] doctrine extensively on this subject in our Guild Theology Debates it was has been realized, and put simply: Pride is a sin, and a trap.

! "Pride is excessive belief in one's own abilities, that interferes with the individual's recognition of the grace of Milord, Zudo. It has been called the sin from which all others arise. Pride is also known as Vanity." - Sayed our Lord and Commander Zudo

That entirely depends on who you play with.

For me, my guild is obviously above and beyond the game itself. I played with the guild before WvW, and may have never even played the game long enough to discover WvW in the first place, and will most likely associate with the guild long past Gw2 itself.

But not everyone is like this. In my case, the game itself isn't as important, but others may value it differently. If I view Gw2 as a game to play with some people, others may view Gw2 (and wvw) as what's important, and you're looking for people to play Gw2 with.

Guilds used to be part of their server community in some capacity, even if they did just GvG, especially during the GvG hype days. Not so much nowadays, with Server links though and many guilds have moved on since from their original servers or disbanded, so many players either quit or split on other servers now.

@"Whiteout.1975" said:The goal here is to illustrate why people believe one form of Pride is "Better" to have than the other. So there will be NO "Both" OR "Other" option.That's odd, because even you believe both are important.

I think pride is important for competitive game modes. The form it takes isn't.

More interesting to me would be hearing from people whose positions on the topic aren't obvious from the gameplay preferences:

• Roamers & havoc teams for whom guild pride matters more
  • Dedicated WvW guild leaders who promote the server over the guild.
  • Dedicated WvW guild members who are driven more by server pride.

Need a third option... Fun with friends pride... I have lots of fun with a couple different guilds because of the people. You could call that a form of guild pride I guess.

But server pride got butt kicked with links imo.

When Alliances come in servers won’t exist so that’s a moot option really. And whatever pride there will be will have to do with the alliance you’re in.

Badly timed poll after anet announced they'll be replacing the server system in favour of worlds. Asked the same question two years ago and you've seen the results flipped in favour of servers. People who vote for guild over server will be thanked by their guilds by being kicked if inactive for longer than 1-2wks under the new system, because of the guild/ally limits anet will impose. And enjoy trying to communicate with 10+ different voice-comms being used per world.

Archived