Current state of the GW2 API (November 8, 2018)

Zok.4956

Hello,

what is the current state of the API?

I know that Lawton Campbell was promoted to other areas (around last quarter of 2017, I guess) and that Ylan Salsbury and Mike Lewis took over from him the responsibility for the API in January 2018. https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/26045/update-about-api-communications

It feels like there is no API development or bug fixing (the only repairs were because of the crash around July 2018, but the data is still not fully operational until now) any more since a long time and the API is in a state between "maintenance mode" and "abandonware", which really makes me sad as a client-side API developer.

What do you think?

• ArenaNet Staff

Hello,

Thank you for your post!

The API is still valued and bugs are still being fixed. Most fixes are small enough that I have not posted anything here to the forums. If it would be beneficial (even if just to communicate that the API is still alive) I can post the small updates here on the forum.

As an example of a recent update to the API, the first half of a mounts endpoint has been added, and the account unlock portion is coming very soon.

In regards to the server crash earlier this year, there are plans to re-add the missing items, achievements, etc. but with the usual caveat that I can't promise any timeline.

Thanks!

@Douglas Mines.7362 said:

@"Daniel Snider.6241" said:If it would be beneficial (even if just to communicate that the API is still alive) I can post the small updates here on the forum.

Please; even just some knowledge that things are happening is reassuring, but a release notes style update would be great!

Many thanks,

I'd love to see a monthly post from the folks working on the API, even if all they could say is, "sorry, no update this month; we'll check in with you again in 4-5 weeks." That tells the patient among us that (a) ANet hasn't forgotten how important the API has become to the community, (b) that y'all are giving it actual attention (if only for 5 minutes/month ;) , and © it gives y'all an opportunity to show us progress, even if it's all backbone that we can't use yet.

Archived