Obtaining mastery points is tedious.

TopBadge.3569

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know...are Spirit Shards that important? I get plenty without acquiring them through the XP bar; have thousands in the Wallet, yet rarely ever spend them. There's much more to acquire in Core Tyria, or any other region, than Spirit Shards; items, gear, mats, working on collections, map exploration, etc., etc. and most importantly...to me...enjoying the game, i.e. fun.

Of course, ymmv.

It's not that big of a deal, only some convenience you're missing. I'd wager that the usual player has tons of shards and absolutely zero use for them outside of upgrading materials.

Either way, there are far more mastery points than you need and they are scattered over all types of content.

It's just a frame of mind. At first I had the same type of thoughts, before I realized that XP just doesn't matter. Heck, on my core-only accounts, the XP bar fills and then... nothing. It just restarts. So you have to change how you think about XP since this is not like other (dare I say old-school?) games/D&D.

So think of XP after level 80 just as a way of advancing the masteries. If you get stuck for a while and the XP "goes to waste" -- eh, whatever, it just doesn't matter since it has no practical value anyway.

Do make sure to max the masteries that are available while you wait for enough points to unlock whichever one is next. That way once you gather enough mastery points you can get rewarded instantly and then move on to the next.

@"DeanBB.4268" said:It's just a frame of mind. At first I had the same type of thoughts, before I realized that XP just doesn't matter. Heck, on my core-only accounts, the XP bar fills and then... nothing. It just restarts. So you have to change how you think about XP since this is not like other (dare I say old-school?) games/D&D.

So think of XP after level 80 just as a way of advancing the masteries. If you get stuck for a while and the XP "goes to waste" -- eh, whatever, it just doesn't matter since it has no practical value anyway.

Do make sure to max the masteries that are available while you wait for enough points to unlock whichever one is next. That way once you gather enough mastery points you can get rewarded instantly and then move on to the next.

I don't have enough points to unlock anything because the only ones lefts are spoon collecting and replaying stories to get achievements.

@TopBadge.3569 said:

@"DeanBB.4268" said:It's just a frame of mind. At first I had the same type of thoughts, before I realized that XP just doesn't matter. Heck, on my core-only accounts, the XP bar fills and then... nothing. It just restarts. So you have to change how you think about XP since this is not like other (dare I say old-school?) games/D&D.

I don't have enough points to unlock anything because the only ones lefts are spoon collecting and replaying stories to get achievements.

There exist 32 more mastery points than are needed to unlock all of the tyrian masteries, unless I miscounted . . .

The problem is finding them. These mastery points can be in some of the oddest locations and then add to the fact that you will not know where to look for them unless you took the time to google them. Yes, I know googleing can help get you the info you need but the time one needs to take to do it makes it even more grindy and with only one monitor min the game screen to open my internet page and doing it back and forth not only becomes tedious but frustrating. I don't think it should be changed as I consider exploring fun but there are parts like this that makes me frustrated.

@Gop.8713 said:

There exist 32 more mastery points than are needed to unlock all of the tyrian masteries, unless I miscounted . . .

There are 32 assuming you have LS2 unlocked but even without LS2 there are still 16 extras. The replaying story comment implies that OP does have LS2 unless they are referring the PS in which case they are simply wrong because replaying the PS does not give more points.

@"kapri.5918" said:These mastery points can be in some of the oddest locations and then add to the fact that you will not know where to look for them unless you took the time to google them.There's really no need to google. Just check your achievement log. Any category with a red mastery point symbol contains one (or more) open achievement that rewards a central Tyria mastery point. Sub-categories and the achievements themselves are marked with the same symbol.

Or check the wiki if you really find the achievement description unclear. Most of them are pretty straight-forward, but there are a few that have an obscure description ;) .

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:I don't know...are Spirit Shards that important? I get plenty without acquiring them through the XP bar; have thousands in the Wallet, yet rarely ever spend them. There's much more to acquire in Core Tyria, or any other region, than Spirit Shards; items, gear, mats, working on collections, map exploration, etc., etc. and most importantly...to me...enjoying the game, i.e. fun.

Of course, ymmv.

For me, the shards ARE valuable. I build legendaries, and am still working on legendary WvW armor with which you need approximately 900 per set. Never mind the shards needed for clovers.

Would be good if, like reward tracks, there was a different currency you could select, but as tomes if knowledge already give a level or a spirit shard, I guess it’s consistent.

@Rasimir.6239 said:

@"kapri.5918" said:These mastery points can be in some of the oddest locations and then add to the fact that you will not know where to look for them unless you took the time to google them.There's really no need to google. Just check your achievement log. Any category with a red mastery point symbol contains one (or more) open achievement that rewards a central Tyria mastery point. Sub-categories and the achievements themselves are marked with the same symbol.

Or check the
if you really find the achievement description unclear. Most of them are pretty straight-forward, but there are a few that have an obscure description ;) .

As a player who is still new that I still squeak when I move, as I hit 80 the depths to this game that has opened up is very daunting. Achievements do give me a more defined thing to do (and yes, I work on them little by little) I find myself doing multiple other things as well that may (do) take my attention away from them. But i was just referencing the stand alone mastery points nodes (similar to the heroic point ones) in my statement and not the other options to gain MP.

@TopBadge.3569 said:

I have this same issue and I need another 15 points to unlock HoT legendary crafting..

Only MPs I have left are collections like spoons n stuff..

I regret maxing pact commander.

@sephiroth.4217 said:

I have this same issue and I need another 15 points to unlock HoT legendary crafting..

Uh, how do you not have enough to unlock and master everything...I unlocked all of them with the exception of the Raid one...and still have points leftover for both Core and HoT, and now the same with PoF.

@Zaklex.6308 said:

Uh, how do you not have enough to unlock and master everything...I unlocked all of them with the exception of the Raid one...and still have points leftover for both Core and HoT, and now the same with PoF.

The problem isn't that there isn't enough, the problem is that is the content required for the few remaining makes me want to cough up blood.I don't want to go on an RNG spoon collecting spree.I don't want to speed all my money on skins I don't want/need.I don't want to repeat poor story content I've already done because it prevents interaction with other players in this mmo.

This content is an absolute core and I feel I am actively punished for not grinding through the monotony.

These mastery points are not rewarded for any meaningful content. you didn't get one because you made it to the next frac tier or killed all the world bosses at least once no you got it because you bought all the culture amour. wow.

@kapri.5918 said:

@kapri.5918 said:These mastery points can be in some of the oddest locations and then add to the fact that you will not know where to look for them unless you took the time to google them.There's really no need to google. Just check your achievement log. Any category with a red mastery point symbol contains one (or more) open achievement that rewards a central Tyria mastery point. Sub-categories and the achievements themselves are marked with the same symbol.

Or check the
if you really find the achievement description unclear. Most of them are pretty straight-forward, but there are a few that have an obscure description ;) .

As a player who is still new that I still squeak when I move, as I hit 80 the depths to this game that has opened up is very daunting. Achievements do give me a more defined thing to do (and yes, I work on them little by little) I find myself doing multiple other things as well that may (do) take my attention away from them. But i was just referencing the stand alone mastery points nodes (similar to the heroic point ones) in my statement and not the other options to gain MP.

Well anet cunt every mp not just the attune ones that was added becouse people complain it was to few that dident cost tons of gold.

So check around in your hero panel there are alot of mps around that you can work towards.

@sephiroth.4217 said:

Pretty sure you got more then the cultural armor and spoon collection and amber collection left mate.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mastery_point_unlocks

@Linken.6345 said:

Pretty sure you got more then the cultural armor and spoon collection and amber collection left mate.

Like the other guy said about coughing up blood for collections...

Also I finished my story when the game came out, do I need to endure the whole story again for some MPs?If I do, thats fucked... rather uninstall

@TopBadge.3569 said:

The problem isn't that there isn't enough, the problem is that is the content required for the few remaining makes me want to cough up blood.I don't want to go on an RNG spoon collecting spree.I don't want to speed all my money on skins I don't want/need.I don't want to repeat poor story content I've already done because it prevents interaction with other players in this mmo.

This content is an absolute core and I feel I am actively punished for not grinding through the monotony.

These mastery points are not rewarded for any meaningful content. you didn't get one because you made it to the next frac tier or killed all the world bosses at least once no you got it because you bought all the culture amour. wow.

I didn't do the spoon collection, actually missing one and I don't need that MP, didn't buy skins either and most likely didn't get the obscure ones from LS2(never have replayed a story to get a MP, ever, from any episode)...I still have a few leftover MP's just from all the core normal ones and the simple collections. Are you an original player(from launch)? If so when they introduced the Mastery system I practically had enough MP from that change(and obtained the few new ones introduced) to max all the Core Masteries.

@sephiroth.4217 said:

Also I finished my story when the game came out, do I need to endure the whole story again for some MPs?If I do, thats kitten... rather uninstall

Those count retroactivly you do have to kill tripple trubble wurm heads and karka queen again to get those mps tho.You sure you done all the fractal and jump puzzle diving google ones?EditHow about the go for gold in silverwaste or the 5 legendary bosses?

@Linken.6345 said:

Also I finished my story when the game came out, do I need to endure the whole story again for some MPs?If I do, thats kitten... rather uninstall

Those count retroactivly you do have to kill tripple trubble wurm heads and karka queen again to get those mps tho.You sure you done all the fractal and jump puzzle diving google ones?EditHow about the go for gold in silverwaste or the 5 legendary bosses?

Im a WvW/PvP player, I play what is fun.In saying that after 6 years and 9k hours played im still below below 10 for fractals, havent unlocked a silver map what ever that is and diving goggles might aswell be a spoon collection...

Wheres the fun stuff? Totally agree with OP, I find it extremely tedious and instead of enduring that I will find another game or something else that IS fun instead

Why is it spoon collecting is so hated? There's only 3 spoons that depend on RNG and they still drop more often than not when you need the collection, just hang out at the end of Tequatl and see all the spoons being pinged in chat.

And why would a WvW/PvP player ever care about mastery points? They literally have no use for them.

@"TopBadge.3569" said:The problem isn't that there isn't enough, the problem is that is the content required for the few remaining makes me want to cough up blood.Look again then. You can skip about 1/3. There are many points that require little time, especially some of the fractal ones (you just need someone willing to carry you if you don't want to learn the fractals, but since they can be done in Tier 1 that might not even be an issue).

If your primary concern is spirit shards, in all sorts of ways. If your concern is "wasted XP," then (1) every one playing long enough ends up with wasted XP & (2) there was an entire year in which XP was wasted because the game didn't even reward spirit shards, whether or not you had maxed masteries. (And that period was longer for some players who didn't raid.)

As usual, one more thing that is a matter of taste. There are many different ways to collect mastery points, covering most of the activities. It means that for each of us, it is possible to do some we like, getting some fun, and aside of those, we then have to complete with those we don't like, meaning some work. Fair enough I think. Mastery points are supposed to be a challenge. Some are easier, but most of them need efforts. For me, that's part of the game. :)

Archived