LF Open World Shield Guardian Build

Roam.5208

So, you know the story... I've got a legendary shield, and I want to use it. I'm a pretty casual open world PvE only player, so it not being the very best offhand weapon doesn't matter that much to me.

All of the metabattle builds, as far as I can tell, are just some variation of a GS + scepter/focus build, and everything I find on Google looks outdated. Does anyone have any suggestions of a decent shield build? I'm okay with either Dragonhunter or Firebrand.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Oh god ... the metabattle builds for OW are just trash. They ignore everything that's useful outside of DPS. I'm even wondering if they used those builds in harder OW content to see all the ways they are deficient.

Shield is all about more aegis, prot and blocks, so if you don't care about optimal performance, here is what I suggest for using VoJ active:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQRAse7elsAhqhY3QwVIQQEL+DlVA8t3Z2DWhXoc5P+xPA-jxRBQBUS9Has/gIV+hH9DA4JAwIlgs7kAAA-e

At this point, it's pretty hard to recommend a OW build that's suitable generally, because I'm finding the different zones have their different challenges and require different sets of skills/stats. I find that this is a decent balance of DPS while providing a range of options for sustain with what I feel are the obligatory cleanse and stun breaking capability.

Mace+Shield power firebrand with Mystic Rebuke and buffed mantras. It's single taret dps is Meh (carry GS or SW in offhand, or just deal - theres not much single target in open world anyway) but it AOE's like a king. It all depends on timing - make sure you pop aegis just in time for it to break an attack. Requires a bit more timing then most classes but a bit less then mesmer. Mace 3 + Several Aegis applications and you'll instagib groups of 5-10 trash mobs. And with all the damage mitigation soloing champs is breeze as well, although a bit slow.

Radiance (Retal) + Zeal (Mystic Rebuke) + Firebrand (Mantra Spam).

DH Sw/Board is a possibility, would have a lot of mobilitiy, but it doesn't really maximize the benefit of the shield, it just happens to use one.

Archived