Guild Hero Banner any alternative way to get?

phs.6089

As a person that runs OW events quite often.3 guild commendation is something to consider. The most I get from guild missions is 6 per WEEK.Maybe is time to have a way to get banners somehow else? What am I missing? (omitting the crafting).In any other game group buffs were piling in my inventory from dailies and other activities. I don't understand why it is such a problem here.
Maybe we can get those instead of ascended mats sometimes from activity chests? Any other way? Something besides guild commendation.

@phs.6089 said:Maybe is time to have a way to get banners somehow else?

If we did convince Anet to provide a Guild Hero Banner from another source, it will still require something to do with a Guild. You currently obtain it via Scribing and Commendations, both require activity within a guild. I don’t think this should change.

I don't understand why it is such a problem here.

It’s not. You thinking it’s a problem doesn’t mean it actually is.

Well, there is an alternative way of getting it, but you're selecting to omit it - Scribe crafting. (It is a non-trivial cost, absolutely, but it is a method not limited by Guild Missions)

According to the wiki, it does drop from Guild Missions.

It's also 3 banners per 3 commendations, so if you get 6 commendations per week, you can use one banner almost every day.

However, as a Guild-based buff, it's designed to be supplied by more than one person.

@"phs.6089" said:omitting the craftingWhy are we omitting scribing as a viable source for a guild banner? That looks to cost about 8g worth of mats. The ones from the commendation vendor are worth roughly 80-100 silver in opportunity costs, so they are cheaper. However, 8g doesn't seem outrageous if it's going to server 50 or 100 people for some event.

For that matter, as @Tanner Blackfeather.6509 suggests, why are we omitting other people besides the OP from contributing g-commendations?

@phs.6089 said:

For that matter, as @Tanner Blackfeather.6509 suggests, why are we omitting other people besides the OP from contributing g-commendations?It's somehow an etiquette for a comm to provide buffs, that is why.

And banner lives 2 hours or so.

Great now i have to get scribble crafting for group buffs
flipstable

Funnily enough, many people who aren’t at the helm with the tag, participating in group play are more than happy to provide Banners, Feast, even Utility stations and Writs/Thesis for popular world events. You may lead the group with your tag, but you aren’t obligated to provide all of the buffs 100% of the time. If you want to provide as much as possible, scribe your banners/thesis, and craft your feasts and Utility stations.

@phs.6089 said:

@"anonymous.7812" said:Run 10-20 other people through guild missions. Boom. 10-20 "alternative sources" of guild banners.

and then nag them to come on my map and place the banner? :)

Nope, those banners end up placed in guild storage so if those other people are from your guild, you will have easy access to them later.

@phs.6089 said:

For that matter, as @Tanner Blackfeather.6509 suggests, why are we omitting other people besides the OP from contributing g-commendations?It's somehow an etiquette for a comm to provide buffs, that is why.

flipstable

Far from established etiquette.On EU at least, there is zero expectation that the commander supplies banners for general OW stuff like bosses and metas. If it is supplied, that's generally by a guild making a coordinated effort, say commanding Tequatl with 3-4 commanders from the same guild.

@phs.6089 said:It's somehow an etiquette for a comm to provide buffs, that is why.Not in any group event in which I've participated.

Many effective commanders delegate responsibilities, including arranging for foods+oils, buffs, putting up markers, targeting, and typing explanations/introductions. Leading doesn't mean doing everything; it just means making sure it gets done.

@"ReaverKane.7598" said:You can trade favor for those as well..https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bartholemew_Kangas#vendor11

Good tip. I had forgotten about this guy. Two requirements:

• You must have the necessary permissions in the guild
  • Your guild must have already unlocked the service.

In this case, Heroes Banners cost 2000 favor.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@"ReaverKane.7598" said:You can trade favor for those as well..

Interesting. I had forgotten about this guy. Two requirements:
  • You must have the necessary permissions in the guild
  • Your guild must have already unlocked the service.

In this case, Heroes Banners cost 2000 favor.

Yeah, i find it a bit on the expensive side, but it's an alternative.Honestly, i feel that old guild benefits carried over very poorly into the new system, especially with boosts being locked behind owning HoT or not (and not being able to stack).

@ReaverKane.7598 said:Yeah, i find it a bit on the expensive side, but it's an alternative.Yeah, 2k seems like a lot. It's basically half a dozen g-mish worth of favor.

@ReaverKane.7598 said:i feel that old guild benefits carried over very poorly into the new system, especially with boosts being locked behind owning HoT or not (and not being able to stack).I suspect that this was intended.

Or more precisely: I believe that ANet was attempting to restore their original concept of "guild" as a tool for social organizations with common goals, instead of a source for cheap storage and buffs. In that light, most of the changes make more sense: upgrade costs scale poorly for guilds of fewer than 50 and really horribly for fewer than 20, buffs & decorations require some level of support & cooperation from the members, capturing a hall costs substantial coin and a decent crew, and yeah, it's harder to stack buffs.

(It's an entirely different question as to how good a job they did with this and whether they should have even tried.)

@phs.6089 said:

flipstable

They live for muuuuch longer than 2h unless there is someone constantly dropping one down in Rata Sum every 2h on the exact same spot.

Heroes Banner is also practically useless for many events. For example in SW most of the mobs spawned will not drop anything. A heroes banner is basically an overpriced karma banner.

@"Khisanth.2948" said:They live for muuuuch longer than 2h unless there is someone constantly dropping one down in Rata Sum every 2h on the exact same spot.

The length of time banners remain is in some dispute and I've never seen any post results from tests they've run. (There have been a couple of threads about it in the past and I don't recall any definitive conclusion.) Near as I can tell, there might be as many as three types of banners

• Type 1 lasts until the instance expires.
  • Type A has a limited duration, somewhere between 30 and 120 minutes.
  • Type (i) lasts until the character who spawned it leaves the instance.

This might (or might not) correspond to the three sources of GH banners:

I've definitely placed banners that expired & ones that disappeared when the toon placing the banner left the instance (although those might be the same kind).

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@phs.6089 said:

flipstable

They live for muuuuch longer than 2h unless there is someone constantly dropping one down in Rata Sum every 2h on the exact same spot.

Heroes Banner is also practically useless for many events. For example in SW most of the mobs spawned will not drop anything. A heroes banner is basically an overpriced karma banner.

As a semi-pro in SW farming I beg to differ, mobs hardly drop something but when they do, with MF, it's T6, Champs and VW directly affected by MF, bandit chests as well.

Add to it that many peole farming mastery EXP in SW and you can see that Hero banner there is useful

@ReaverKane.7598 said:Yeah, i find it a bit on the expensive side, but it's an alternative.Yeah, 2k seems like a lot. It's basically half a dozen g-mish worth of favor.

@ReaverKane.7598 said:i feel that old guild benefits carried over very poorly into the new system, especially with boosts being locked behind owning HoT or not (and not being able to stack).I suspect that this was intended.

Or more precisely: I believe that ANet was attempting to restore their original concept of "guild" as a tool for social organizations with common goals, instead of a source for cheap storage and buffs. In that light, most of the changes make more sense: upgrade costs scale poorly for guilds of fewer than 50 and really horribly for fewer than 20, buffs & decorations require some level of support & cooperation from the members, capturing a hall costs substantial coin and a decent crew, and yeah, it's harder to stack buffs.

(It's an entirely different question as to how good a job they did with this and whether they should have even tried.)

As someone with a personal guild with an extended bank (which i use for sigils and runes), i agree that the old system was too easy to upgrade. But, in old Arena Net fashion they went into the other extreme, and not only made plenty of the unlocks more expensive, but after unlocking, most have restrictions they didn't. Like guild boosts, you can only pick one at a time, when in the past you'd stack them all. Banners were usually cheaper, and i stopped recruiting new people because not only was i playing less and less, but every time i gave a new member a tour of the guild hall, i couldn't help but feeling embarrassed when they wanted to try stuff like the boons and the Arena, but they couldn't because either they were still leveling their first character as a F2P intending to buy the expansions after, or they only had bought PoF, which meant they couldn't use stuff like the exp boost when they most need it.

I mean, i'm mostly playing Warframe now. And it has a clan system with a Clan Dojo (which replaces the guild hall), in the dojo you unlock a ton of stuff, including new weapon and warframe blueprints (warframes are kind of like the classes in the game). The way they do it, is somewhat similar to how GW2 used to work. You start with a 10 man limit on your clan, then you can build a barracks which upgrades the clan to hold 30 people, then another for even more, and you go on through 5 tiers (max 100 members). A Ghost Clan (the 10 man) has a x1 requirement multiplier. And as you upgrade the clan to hold more people that multiplier increases up to x10 for the 100 man clans. That means that a small clan builds upgrades for 1/10 of the cost of larger clans.

Guild Wars used to have (or maybe still has it) a similar system to increase the maximum members in a guild. They could have used that as a metric to make things scale better. Or they could have easily just made costs scale with membership. Everything in this game scales, except guilds. But honestly, guilds were always the black sheep of guild wars 2, and i don't expect this to change.

@phs.6089 said:

flipstable

Leveling a scribe is not some horrible thing. If this really is such a big issue for you I imagine you must run SW a lot. If you run SW so much then the cost to leveling scribe and making banners should be nothing.

@Mewcifer.5198 said:

@phs.6089 said:

flipstable

Leveling a scribe is not some horrible thing. If this really is such a big issue for you I imagine you must run SW a lot. If you run SW so much then the cost to leveling scribe and making banners should be nothing.

I wasn't asking on your opinion of my possibilities on level carting at first place. I was asking to give us an alternative way omitting crafting

@phs.6089 said:I wasn't asking on your opinion of my possibilities on level carting at first place. I was asking to give us an alternative way omitting crafting

You've rejected three existing alternatives. What makes you think that ANet is going to agree that we need a fourth alternative?

(Existing alternatives are: buy with favor, build them via scribes, and encourage other guildies/participants to provide commendation-bought banners.)

@phs.6089 said:I wasn't asking on your opinion of my possibilities on level carting at first place. I was asking to give us an alternative way omitting crafting

You've rejected three existing alternatives. What makes you think that ANet is going to agree that we need a fourth alternative?

(Existing alternatives are: buy with favor, build them via scribes, and encourage other guildies/participants to provide commendation-bought banners.)

If i was happy with exciting system, I wouldn't be asking for alternative, would I?All methods are overpriced and ovetrtwitsted. My guildies would keep their commendations for themselves juts like many of you do, spending 8 gold n banner that lives 2 hours isn't quite wise and we are back to 6 commendations per week. And again why it's sucha problem?Let us get them somehow else. through dailyes, dundeons, pvp, wvw etc

@phs.6089 said:

If i was happy with exciting system, I wouldn't be asking for alternative, would I?All methods are overpriced and ovetrtwitsted. My guildies would keep their commendations for themselves juts like many of you do, spending 8 gold n banner that lives 2 hours isn't quite wise and we are back to 6 commendations per week. And again why it's sucha problem?Let us get them somehow else. through dailyes, dundeons, pvp, wvw etc

If all methods of aquisition seem overpriced, that indicates ANet simply haven't designed it to be used as often as you want to.If your guildies won't help out with banners every now and then, why should you supply them? That's a inter-player problem, not a design flaw.

Simply go without - it's not a big deal. From the perspective of a general OW player, a Heroes banner is just a pleasant bonus when it's there.

Archived