If you were in charge of redesigning Guild Wars 2, what would you do about stealth?

reikken.4961

This may be a better fit for General Discussion, but I'm mostly interested in the PvP perspective. Since it's obviously a non issue for PvE, and WvW is a strange place. Anyway...

Would you leave it as is? No changes needed?Would you make a few small tweaks?Would you lay down a full out overhaul?

I'm trying to get at what ideal game design would look like, and I'm not sure about stealth.

@The Ace.9105 said:Make stealth to break when taking damage.This would literally make stealth worthless in the middle of combat. Like absolutely 0 functionality except for stacking it before beginning an engagement on an enemy.

Stealth on it's own is fine. By and large short bursts but very powerful in those short bursts for both offense and defense. It's really just perma stealth Deadeye that's just goofy with it.

would be cool imho if stealth was depended on the current environment like shadows from trees or walls and time of day. So thief that stay in shadow when using stealth go full invisible and when he move to a clearly lit area go partially invisible (like predator) which made other players need to travel with care through dark places or at night)but I guess it cant be done in gw2... maybe in gw3)

why'd I wanted stealth to be redesigned in the first place? It is resource consuming sort of "buff" that last a short amount of time and being affected by which makes you not contributing to the capture progress. By providing myself additional stealth duration I use resources which I'd lack when I enter combat. It appear to be prettty balanced for me.

The Invisibility from the Predator movie when close to enemy and audio queue something like the wooo sound from rouges in Warcraft. Should be something like blur effect that appears and disappears to show the general location of the opponent so you know he is somewhere close. Also would be nice if there was telegraph before getting hit from invisibility so you can dodge.

I would block the possibility to use your personal healing skill while in stealth (not to receive healing).

So if you hit an enemy and go stealth he can't return to fight back with full health and kill you, this would balances deadeyes and holosmiths in particular.

This way you must play a defensive tactic when you stealth, and not the cheese playstyle that stealth can provide.

Now don't say what if someone stealth me up I can't use my healing skill omg, those are rare cases and trolls which could happens, but you want stealth balanced even with downsides or not?

On thief and mesmer, it's not stealth itself that's the problem - it's how many times you can re-stealth. Just need to review what abilities give stealth and their cooldowns.

On other professions which have limited stealth access (holosmith, soulbeast) it's a problem of burst damage from stealth. That's better fixed by addressing out-of-control damage.

In a total redesign, I'd:

• Make stealth into a kind of transparency. Which mean that moving around players while stealthed would be a lot more difficult.
  • Remove "reveal" when breaking stealth.
  • Break stealth when being blocked.
  • Change shadow refuge so that it doesn't break stealth if you leave it before the end of the skill and remove the flashy effect of the skill that allow foes to see it.
  • Otherwise, stealth would still continue to break targeting and prevent foes from retargeting you.

If you could choose any organs to have instead of your kidneys, what would they be?

Mammals can't function without blood filtration, so doing away with the organ that does that would leave them to die. Unless you decide to redesign the rest of their body to change their entire metabolism.Stealth is pretty much an organ in this analogy. Changing it's funcionality would necessitate a wider redesign of interacting systems and we'd end up with a different game that has hardly anything to do with Guild Wars 2... so why even bother?

I can't help to think that the OP's post is kinda bias. I'm mean only stealth? There's way many things to look at then just considering stealth the problem. Stealth is not the only problem. You have to consider the multitude of other things that breaking this game from ALL across classes & other issues such as game mods as well.
Just saying.

@mortrialus.3062 said:

@The Ace.9105 said:Make stealth to break when taking damage.This would literally make stealth worthless in the middle of combat. Like absolutely 0 functionality except for stacking it before beginning an engagement on an enemy.

Stealth on it's own is fine. By and large short bursts but very powerful in those short bursts for both offense and defense. It's really just perma stealth Deadeye that's just goofy with it.

No. That would make stealth to a thing you use when you have range and not a thing that you can just spam in combat and annoy everyone.

Archived