What If Scenario: Next Elite Spec has Greatsword and it's awesome, but the legend sucks. And vice vs

Knighthonor.4061

I was thinking between these two scenarios, which would you rather have between these two options?

Scenario 1: Greatsword is Awesome, clearly best Revenant weapon ever, but the Legend is pure trash, worst than Ventari is in SPvP and Dwarf and the Specialization is trashas well.

Scenario 2: Greatsword is pure trash, worst weapon that Rev have, but the Legend and Specialization is pretty good.

I doubt we will get the perfect weapon, utilities and specialization all at once. We not Mesmers. So between these two which would you prefer?

For me, I just want something new. But between these two it's a difficult choice for me since I really want a Melee two hander weapon on Revenant but if the legends and traits suck really bad that could blow really bad. But I doesn't mean I have to take the legend. But the Specialization is mandatory if I want the Greatsword.

On the other hand, a lame Greatsword could have some use right? Would feel like a total waste and just another "Utility Weapon" like Staff but worst. But the Legend and Specialization traits and mechanic would be good, which likely make for more build making with the current stock weapons we have, just likely will never use Greatsword which would be a huge Killing blow to my desire to have a Melee Two hander Greatsword on my Revenant.

Hard decision to make. In pve and roleplay I can make Melee Staff work so don't see why I can't do the same with a trashy Greatsword right. But the good legend and specialization mechanics make the most up of builds and customization is already lacking. I take scenario 2 over scenario 1.

@Dace.8173 said:I'm not really into a greatsword but if I had to choose I would rather have a good weapon. You don't have to run a lame Legend.

But the legend and specialization in scenario 1 both are trash. That means even though you have awesome Greatsword skills, you pretty much running with 2 out of 3 Specialization lines in your build since the elite spec is mandatory to use the Greatsword. Also no telling what the mechanics will be and how it changes the way the class play. If that's also trash, but just the Greatsword is awesome, that can make some things a little rough but if the weapon is that awesome, you could make it work and compensate for the parts lacking.

They're both bad choices but having an awesome weapon would make me feel good about running with a bad choice. I guess logically a lame weapon would be better due to not needing to use it but having played a lot of Renegade and wishing shortbow was better I just think I'd be able to live with a trash Legend/Spec over anything else. It would mean I wouldn't run it for PvP and likely not WvW but in PvE I would find it to be a blast.

@Dace.8173 said:

@"Vasdamas Anklast.1607" said:I hate twilight or dawn, I want another viable melee weapon and greatsword fits that role.

Personally, I would rather have a double dagger that focuses on speed and teleports through the Mists as a form of attack. Kinda like the Mirage, but on crack.

Seem too similar to Sword/Axe honestly.I rather a different play style. Right now the only 2 hander melee land weapon we have is Staff and that's a joke that we call it a Utility Weapon instead.

Also funny thing is originally we had a Off hand Dagger weapon that was Condition focused. Not sure why that was scrapped.http://i.imgur.com/SjX7u2A.png

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

@Vasdamas Anklast.1607 said:I hate twilight or dawn, I want another viable melee weapon and greatsword fits that role.

Personally, I would rather have a double dagger that focuses on speed and teleports through the Mists as a form of attack. Kinda like the Mirage, but on crack.

Seem too similar to Sword/Axe honestly.I rather a different play style. Right now the only 2 hander melee land weapon we have is Staff and that's a joke that we call it a Utility Weapon instead.

I think it could be done very differently. Sword/Axe has only two such attacks. I was thinking an actual fighting style developed around the concept, with a Legend that helps to facilitate it, kinda like Mirage's Deception skills helps to facilitate Mirage leaping to and fro. Personally, I don't see why Mirage was given that fighting style in the first place.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

@"Vasdamas Anklast.1607" said:I hate twilight or dawn, I want another viable melee weapon and greatsword fits that role.

Also funny thing is originally we had a Off hand Dagger weapon that was Condition focused. Not sure why that was scrapped.

Really?? nuuuuuuuuuu

Why did so many alpha/beta thing about revenant get scrapped.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

@phokus.8934 said:I like the other scenario where the elite and weapon are good and viable in more than one mode.

This Revenant forum not Mesmer.Besides we'd need stealth mechanics to make it actually work properly, making revenant look like some cheap copy of mesmer/thief.

I'd rather have some melee weapon with CC, legend (or ermarhgerd - an actually useful F1 that does it) that grants some stability without sacrificing either devastation or invocation for that and some actual damage on that weapon.

@phokus.8934 said:I like the other scenario where the elite and weapon are good and viable in more than one mode.

We are 0-2 on that one.

@Vasdamas Anklast.1607 said:

@Vasdamas Anklast.1607 said:I hate twilight or dawn, I want another viable melee weapon and greatsword fits that role.

Also funny thing is originally we had a Off hand Dagger weapon that was Condition focused. Not sure why that was scrapped.

Really?? nuuuuuuuuuu

Why did so many alpha/beta thing about revenant get scrapped.

This Revenant forum not Mesmer.Besides we'd need stealth mechanics to make it actually work properly, making revenant look like some cheap copy of mesmer/thief.

I'd rather have some melee weapon with CC, legend (or ermarhgerd - an actually useful F1 that does it) that grants some stability without sacrificing either devastation or invocation for that and some actual damage on that weapon.

There is nothing wrong with getting stealth. I'd like that, considering how Thief and Mesmer get to abuse it. I'm pretty sure Thief would be useless if they didn't have perm stealth. Even Ranger gets a stealth ability which has proven very useful for them. If Scrapper's stealth didn't have the gyro that pretty much lets you know the general area the Scrapper is in it would make that Elite stronger.

As long as the traitline and "extra" mechanisms are good I don't care which of the weapon or the legend suck. Honnestly, legends skillsets tend to be "restrictives" so it's difficult to say that there is a legend that don't suck in a way or another. The character chosen as a legend might even be disapointing despite having relatively good legend skills. There is so many variables that can make an e-spec disappointing that the best is always to focus on the essential which is the traitline and the "extra" mechanism (which are both non optional).

@Vasdamas Anklast.1607 said:Besides we'd need stealth mechanics to make it actually work properly, making revenant look like some cheap copy of mesmer/thief.

If they were going to give Revenants stealth access, it definitely would have been along side Renegade... Not only does it fit thematically, but the ENTIRE spec plays like it's supposed to have stealth, but then the dev's took it away at the last second when they realized that adding yet ANOTHER stealth-cheese class to the game would have been a terrible idea.

But like, everything about Renegade and Shortbow in PvP/WvW would just make so much more sense if there was a f-key stealth ability or a trait that caused stealth on Warband summons or whatever.

Archived