Why can't people be friendly in a game?

mickey.2816

Holy Moly!

I thought Gw2 community was always very friendly, but when I tried to read professions thread I felt like having a lobotomy. Most people will try to attack one another instead of talking about the core topic. Just walked myself through a thread when the OP tried his best to discuss about mechanic (malice), then everyone jumped on the class discussion instead to flame that poor chap who played deadeye. Rev forum and warrior forum are full of trolls who will call out other as crying baby, whiny biatch or "no brain". I know there will be people who jump this thread and say "if you can't handle the internet leave it", which is the exact toxic mentality to defend themselves.

Wow... People just have to be rude thesedays? I remember GW2 as a different game with different people.

Forum PvP is not indicative of the player base as a whole thank goodness. People love to argue here, get caught up on semantics, and of course there are the handful of thumb farmers that seem to think of the forum as mini GW2 game and will post anything for a thumbs up. There are some people here that argue about aspects of the game they admittedly are not even interested in just for the sake of arguing. I've learned to quickly scroll past a lot of that. It makes the forum much more enjoyable.

Take my salty generalization with a grain of...salt.

GW2 is known for having a friendly community, but it feels like the community as a whole is getting more combative. I won't speculate on why it is the case but it does seem lately that whenever somebody makes any suggestion people tend to rip it to shreds and don't really give new ideas much thought.

Toxicity has increased over the past few years - with the increase in trolling and people feeling safe behind their keyboards. However, I do feel that the Guild Wars community is very good compared to other games I play such as Call of Duty. I feel this has always been a strong point for Guild Wars, You will always get idiots who want to ruin others fun though.

Well, to give a better reason to ask in game rather than here about professions...I made a query about rangers and if anyone had any issues with them. Multiple people gave me polite answers on how it was a good class. Another person took the time to explain the class and the sub class of Druid. He (or she) literally then spent an hour with me getting Hero Points for not only my Druid class but to fully unlock my gliding ability as well. And then, was willing to sit and wait for me to go through the opening mission for HoT to be able to unlock it. Another great part was the fact that in the middle of all this he gave me Adam for free. Just mailed it to me. But the bad thing that I encountered here, on the forum, was when I made a query on what could be future armor I made a mistake on giving the Elder Sea Dragon the name of Sydias...as I know now, after being crucified, that Sydias is the name of a Largos and not the name of the Elder Sea Dragon. So in the end, I could care less about the petty trolls who sit there and judge you for little things and love the fact that most people are kind and will take the time to help you enjoy the game. Now if you would like, PM me and I will work with you to give you Monsoon. It's a heal spec staff for level 80. It dropped for me but it has been sitting in my bank for a time and none of my characters can either use it or is kind of wasted since they have a similar staff equipped. If not, I wish you well. Cheers!

The bile of the community resides in PvP, WvW and Raid content. That's what happens when "competition" overtakes "cooperation". PvE however encourages people to help each other and even rewards it. Also the minority in PvE that is sour is actually from the competitive side having to play there to get an item.

The solace is that they'll complain about their game state and call us easy-mode and other trash, PvE doesn't even notice and keeps getting the content. Seems justice rewards the side of cooperation and community. And sometimes Raids.~

@kapri.5918 said:Well, to give a better reason to ask in game rather than here about professions...I made a query about rangers and if anyone had any issues with them. Multiple people gave me polite answers on how it was a good class. Another person took the time to explain the class and the sub class of Druid. He (or she) literally then spent an hour with me getting Hero Points for not only my Druid class but to fully unlock my gliding ability as well. And then, was willing to sit and wait for me to go through the opening mission for HoT to be able to unlock it. Another great part was the fact that in the middle of all this he gave me Adam for free. Just mailed it to me. But the bad thing that I encountered here, on the forum, was when I made a query on what could be future armor I made a mistake on giving the Elder Sea Dragon the name of Sydias...as I know now, after being crucified, that Sydias is the name of a Largos and not the name of the Elder Sea Dragon. So in the end, I could care less about the petty trolls who sit there and judge you for little things and love the fact that most people are kind and will take the time to help you enjoy the game. Now if you would like, PM me and I will work with you to give you Monsoon. It's a heal spec staff for level 80. It dropped for me but it has been sitting in my bank for a time and none of my characters can either use it or is kind of wasted since they have a similar staff equipped. If not, I wish you well. Cheers!

Whilst i 100% agree with your sentiment about people needing to be politer and work together more, it doesnt really help when you make thing up to support your agenda. You were very politely corrected about the dsd and absolutely were not crucified.

@"mickey.2816" said:when I tried to read professions thread...

That might have been your first mistake. :PProfession threads are where insular "pro" players of their professions go to kvetch about their favorite one, and it's usually focused on PvP (always a salt mine) or raids (where they think they're more important than they are because delaying loot by 30 seconds is a cardinal sin). If you're into high-level play, you can get some good tips on what's meta, but it's otherwise best avoided.

@Rauderi.8706 said:

@"mickey.2816" said:when I tried to read professions thread...

That might have been your first mistake. :PProfession threads are where insular "pro" players of their professions go to kvetch about their favorite one, and it's usually focused on PvP (always a salt mine) or raids (where they
think
they're more important than they are because delaying loot by 30 seconds is a cardinal sin). If you're into high-level play, you can get some good tips on what's meta, but it's otherwise best avoided.

I lurk around there to get ideas for builds which I always end up modifying to suit my level and style of play (casual not competitive).

^You may be assuming posters read the whole thread before posting; many don't, they respond to the OP first, instead.

That's the thing about these forums; you either need to check your facts (the pre-official forum we used (un-officially) required sources cited), or you need a thick skin. I don't think anyone was 'crucifying' anyone, just stating the well-known facts. The Wiki is always a pretty good source, when in doubt (or just to make sure). I often consult it before posting.

Good luck.

Archived