Population: What are the actual numbers?

TyPin.9860

@"TyPin.9860" said:Since the release of GW2 I have been reading about how "WvW is dying"... But what are the actual numbers on that? What is the percentage of players playing WvW? What are the absolute numbers?

Just interested. Not trying to make a statement.

This may come across as snarky, but the search function will find several threads on this topic.

They won’t release the numbers for WvW for many reasons. Why exactly, no sure.

The closest we got was a bar graph comparing server hours without server names.

If you played from day one you know the difference.24 to 12 host servers that don't even match the size of servers from the first couple years also tells the difference. They won't release numbers, no point. This does not mean gw2 itself is dying like wvw, it could just mean less people are interested in gw2 pvp.

@XenesisII.1540 said:If you played from day one you know the difference.24 to 12 host servers that don't even match the size of servers from the first couple years also tells the difference. They won't release numbers, no point. This does not mean gw2 itself is dying like wvw, it could just mean less people are interested in gw2 pvp.

Because so many games have the same number of players 6 years down the track? There's a difference between natural attrition in a game and a game or format dying. Did you know that gaming business plans (in fact most entetainment business plans) actually plan on descending numbers of the years. I mean what are the odds that 4 million people who preordered Guild Wars 2 will be playing continuously for 6 years anyway? I'd say it's very small. Other games come out. People play a thousand hours and get bored. People have life situations that change and stop gaming. People go from MMOs to Mobas, which wasn't as much of a thing at launch. People switch from WvW to PvE because the game has more PVE updates. People bounce out and play other games because they're newer. Maybe they come back from time to time, but you never recapture that initial surge.

This idea of comparing launch numbers or even first year numbers to current numbers as a sign of health is ludicrous. It's not how the entertainment industry has ever worked. I mean no one says WOW is dying but they certainly don't have anywhere near the 12.4 million subscribers they once had. Having less MMO players over time is a guarantee. But you can still have a healthy game or a healthy format with people once the playerbase stabilizes. I suspect that's what we have in Guild Wars.

I think PvE has the healthiest playerbase, followed by WvW, which is down from launch but by no means dying. PvP I can't tell you about, but it's probably not doing quite as well as PvE or WvW. The reason for this is probably the are more options out there for quick and dirty arena game fights than there are for open world warfare on the large scale with siege.

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@hunkamania.7561 said:8 full server NA tho! That means the game is loaded with players right!?

I have zero issues finding squads of 25-40 players to join at prime time my local time, and I was able to play mid day during my days off last week and of course the weekend. I don't know what the numbers are, but they are good enough for me.

What server are you on so I can transfer to yours?!

@hunkamania.7561 said:No server recalculation today there's 8 full servers yet 6 out of 8 of them you can get onto for 500 gems(link server). What is the point of making them full? :thinking:Same as it's always been: to make it easier for ANet to create matches that are balanced (in population) as possible. They lock worlds based on creating building blocks of convenient sizes; it's never been solely about being near|over capacity.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@hunkamania.7561 said:8 full server NA tho! That means the game is loaded with players right!?

Not all of the people on that server might do WvW though.

Then they have no impact on the status of the server. 400,000 accounts that don’t touch WvW do not impact whether your server is full or not.

I am pretty sure members who do not do WvW still count for your server population, because they are still considered members of that server even though we have the mega server.

@hellsqueen.3045 said:

Then they have no impact on the status of the server. 400,000 accounts that don’t touch WvW do not impact whether your server is full or not.

I am pretty sure members who do not do WvW still count for your server population, because they are still considered members of that server even though we have the mega server.

No they don't. They changed that a year? Maybe 2 years ago, so only actual Wvw players + hours spent in WvW per player count towards server population.

@Hepatolith.6389 said:

No they don't. They changed that a year? Maybe 2 years ago, so only actual Wvw players + hours spent in WvW per player count towards server population.

Higher player pool = More people doing daily in WvW = higher server pop status. For example, if you have a population of 10k pve players, and 1% of that pop is doing wvw daily, then you still have 100 people doing dailies everyday. I think in reality there are more, I see quite a lot of people flipping bloodlust on their own, or waiting for the veteran (it's almost contantly dead). It's one of the main reasons our server is quite full despite being in t5.

@Kirnale.5914 said:

Higher player pool = More people doing daily in WvW = higher server pop status. For example, if you have a population of 10k pve players, and 1% of that pop is doing wvw daily, then you still have 100 people doing dailies everyday. I think in reality there are more, I see quite a lot of people flipping bloodlust on their own, or waiting for the veteran (it's almost contantly dead). It's one of the main reasons our server is quite full despite being in t5.

Well, we have no exact informations on how heavily hours per player impact a server:s status. Might be that they should revisit that. They surely have the information if people just afk on veteran spots and then leave Wvw again.

Define what is playing WvW? A hour a day? A hour a week?

From a totally anecdotal point of view(IE recent bandwagons such as SOR, KN, AR), you can jump a medium population up to full with roughly 500 accounts moving there and playing 2-3 hours a day, seven days a week. We can also estimate that those transfer people out number the server natives by probably at least three to one at least in visibility. With that said if we exclude people who only go in for dailies, and lets say they play an hour a day for those(totaling seven hours a week). Each server probably has less than 1000 players that play more than seven hours a week. This would put the "active"(at least in my eyes) NA server WvW population somewhere around 12,000 unique players.

@hellsqueen.3045 said:

No: this

@Hepatolith.6389 said:

@"TyPin.9860" said:Since the release of GW2 I have been reading about how "WvW is dying"... But what are the actual numbers on that? What is the percentage of players playing WvW? What are the absolute numbers?

Just interested. Not trying to make a statement.

The current numbers from what i've seen on tier 2-3-4 Eu : 1 map full queue in weekends betwen 7Pm -12 Pm on most of the serverssmall groups of 1-15 players on other maps :That would get an average of 100-200 daily active players / server + raiding guilds .on off time ( no weekend ) before 7 pm you see some groups of 20-50 players karma training

So is quite dead if you compare it with 3 years ago , when you could had 2 maps full before prime time, and 1 map with queue from 10 am till 3 am.There is also the population that play other games and log in wvw only for reset "friday" and saturday

Archived