Boost for story content or wait

rein.8496

I know it is best to not boost to 80 for a new player unless you learn the mechanics. However, if a player plans to go back and play low level content and story before high level content is it best to still wait? I have not seen comments on this aspect of boosting new characters.

Just play the game, level up, it doesn't take long, really.You will do story this way or other.I know hearts are boring, look for events, even if none doing it and you think you can't accomplish, trow couple of AOEs, tag 6 mobs and walk away. If you like PvP, its a nice break from PvE, go do couple of matches, you can get Toms of Knowledge.The main things is once you are lv 25 start doing Dailies(Hero Panel-Achievement-Dailies) . 3 easy PvE tasks for 2 gold, bunch of exp and 10AP, also they take you places you will get general idea of regions and map.

@Khisanth.2948 said:3 of those dailies is at least 15% of a level but some give multiple writs so it could be 20% or 25% instead.

Important side note: if your character is still levelling, use the writs to level rather than using them to buy a tome, since you get slightly more XP for using 20 writs than you do for using a tome, especially if you're also gaining XP from the things you're doing.

The only reason I'd do this is if you really want to get the raptor mount before doing the low-level content, and don't want to have more than one toon. In any other scenario, I don't see an advantage in this.My recommendation for how to level: Do story, collect as many HPs as you can, and gather every resource node that's convenient along the way. This is how I level my toons (although I skip story nowadays).
Doing the story will keep you in reasonable gear so you don't have to buy any. At lvl 78 you can use karma to buy exotics in Orr, or buy from the TP.Collecting HPs will mean you'll be halfway to an elite spec completed by the time you hit lvl 80 (my last toon had 188 extra HPs when it reached lvl 80, so after an additional 30 minutes of HP work in PoF maps I was able to fully spec an elite trait line).Collecting resources will mean you have mats, either for crafting or to sell, so you don't get to lvl 80 with empty pockets. You can do crafting while levelling for extra xp, but I wouldn't, because it means spending rather than gathering resources as you level.I would estimate doing it this way would take about 10-12 hours of play to get to lvl 80 - easily doable over a weekend.If you want to take your time, doing dailies is definitely a good idea as it pays off in gold as well as xp. Also it would allow for more gathering.

@rein.8496 said:I know it is best to not boost to 80 for a new player unless you learn the mechanics. However, if a player plans to go back and play low level content and story before high level content is it best to still wait? I have not seen comments on this aspect of boosting new characters.

Boosting to level 80 gives you all your traits and abilities at once.

Now while leveling and unlocking them step by step you might actually read what an ability does while allocating points to getting it, same goes for traits. You eventually get introduced to more trait lines, more utility slots and elite abilities. You then get to try out some abilities and traits until you unlock the next ones. As such your understanding gradually grows. None of this has anything to do with the area you are in or enemies you are fighting.

As others have mentioned low level content will be significantly easier too if you go through it on a level 80. This is actually a minor issue since open world in general is quite easy and dying is very unlikely to begin with.

You will be overwhelmed when boosting your first character to 80, I guarantee it. Not only that, you are depriving yourself of both a sense of progression as well as immersion into the story. Boost now and in 1 week you'll be one of those people who comes here and ask what to do, maybe earlier.

Boosting should be saved for alternate characters.

One thing you can do is play the game sort of normally up through maybe like level 50 or so. Maybe even 30 and 40 when you can unlock the core specializations for your character and learn enough of how the game works. Use the level up to boost another character to level 80, then play through them until you get the raptor which is like an hour tops to Heart of Fire. You can then go back to your lower level character and speed around more quickly. You'll waste a LOT of time running around with a mount and to me its annoying as hell.

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:3 of those dailies is at least 15% of a level but some give multiple writs so it could be 20% or 25% instead.

Important side note: if your character is still levelling, use the writs to level rather than using them to buy a tome, since you get slightly more XP for using 20 writs than you do for using a tome, especially if you're
also
gaining XP from the things you're doing.

Unless you mean the xp you get while gathering them, they should give exactly the same amount of xp - a writ gives 5% of current level (1/20 of a level).

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:

@"Khisanth.2948" said:3 of those dailies is at least 15% of a level but some give multiple writs so it could be 20% or 25% instead.

Important side note: if your character is still levelling, use the writs to level rather than using them to buy a tome, since you get slightly more XP for using 20 writs than you do for using a tome, especially if you're
also

Unless you mean the xp you get while gathering them, they
should
give exactly the same amount of xp - a writ gives 5% of current level (1/20 of a level).

No, I meant the XP you get for using them.

Let's look at a character about halfway through level N who has a pile of 20 writs. He gets 5% of level N's total XP for each of the first ten plus 5% of level N+1's total XP for the following 10. The second batch of 10 give him more XP each than the first batch of 10 because the total XP required for level N+1 is larger than for level N.

If he turns the writs into a tome and uses it, he gets 100% of level N's XP, which is less than 50% of level N plus 50% of level N+1.

To be sure, it's not a big difference, but all I said was "slightly more".

@"Khisanth.2948" said:3 of those dailies is at least 15% of a level but some give multiple writs so it could be 20% or 25% instead.

also

should
give exactly the same amount of xp - a writ gives 5% of current level (1/20 of a level).

No, I meant the XP you get for
using
them.

Let's look at a character about halfway through level N who has a pile of 20 writs. He gets 5% of level N's total XP for each of the first ten plus 5% of level N+1's total XP for the following 10. The second batch of 10 give him more XP each than the first batch of 10 because the total XP required for level N+1 is larger than for level N.

If he turns the writs into a tome and uses it, he gets 100% of level N's XP, which is less than 50% of level N plus 50% of level N+1.

My impression of using tomes have been that they bring you to the same fraction-of-a-level - so if you're 20% in on lvl 46, use a tome, you hit 20% in on lvl 47... However, now that you say it, maybe it doesn't - the difference is small enough it would require attention to even notice!

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:

also

should

using
them.

My impression of using tomes have been that they bring you to the same fraction-of-a-level - so if you're 20% in on lvl 46, use a tome, you hit 20% in on lvl 47... However, now that you say it, maybe it doesn't - the difference is small enough it would require attention to even notice!

I had a sudden surge of doubt, so I checked the Wiki. It says that the ToK puts you the same number of XP above the new level as you were above the old, not the same percentage. The level table in https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Experience suggests that the difference is, indeed, pretty small. From level 50(+50%) to level 51, the ToK will take you from 50(+26250) to 51(+26250), while the writs will take you to from 50(+50%) to 51(+50%) which leaves you at 51(+27650) so you get 1400 more XP.

So, yeah, "slightly more."

also

should

using
them.

I had a sudden surge of doubt, so I checked the Wiki. It says that the ToK puts you the same
number
of XP above the new level as you were above the old, not the same
percentage
. The level table in
suggests that the difference is, indeed, pretty small. From level 50(+50%) to level 51, the ToK will take you from 50(+26250) to 51(+26250), while the writs will take you to from 50(+50%) to 51(+50%) which leaves you at 51(+27650) so you get 1400 more XP.

So, yeah, "slightly more."

Cool! Thanks for double-checking!Marginal difference, but technically correct is the best kind of correct! ;)

Archived