Participation no longer decays....

Some Call Me Tim.2319

"Participation will no longer decay outside of WvW. As a result, rewards based on participation (pips and reward tracks) will be delayed until the next full tick when entering WvW from outside other WvW maps."

YAY! No more standing in OS waiting for the pips to die down before I go off to do other things...

This and the salvaging changes are awesome.. to me anyway! Thanks!!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would expect that means when you come back in you have to wait until the timer resets and runs for the full 5 minutes before it starts "counting down" again if you're not active., and from the looks of it that applies to the rewards as well. So if you get in just after the timer resets then you'll have to wait almost 10 minutes before you start getting rewards again.

That makes it a bit of a c_r_a_p shoot. You might not benefit from this change in that event, and for the most part the only benefit at all is that you don't have to sit around for 10 minutes or so just to make sure you do get credit for the track you built up already.

It's kind of a toss up if you think about it.

On one hand you don't have to hang around in WvW waiting for your pips to wind down, and this is a good thing since you can just go off and do other things, or go offline as you wish...

On the other hand if you do leave right away you realize that when you get back in you will have to wait for at least 5 minutes, (most likely more depending on the timer), before you start to get credits.

And here's the kicker.... The BEST part is that when you do start getting credit again you will continue at the level you left at... you won't have to spend the first 10 minutes or more building up participation before you start getting rewards again.

Overall the benefits of this change outweigh the negatives (if there are any).

1. Don't have to wait in WvW borderlands... (for those that pip down in BL's that should encourage them to leave and make room for people that want to WvW)
  2. Don't have to sit for 10 minutes or so in OS, for those that respect getting out of the BL's to pip down.
  3. Start at the level you left at in less than 10 minutes, which for most people is about the time it takes to get to participation level 3, and if you left at level 6 that's a super bonus because if you have to afk for a few minutes shortly after getting in you're already getting the bonus.

@"Balthazzarr.1349" said:I would expect that means when you come back in you have to wait until the timer resets and runs for the full 5 minutes before it starts "counting down" again if you're not active., and from the looks of it that applies to the rewards as well. So if you get in just after the timer resets then you'll have to wait almost 10 minutes before you start getting rewards again.

That makes it a bit of a c_r_a_p shoot. You might not benefit from this change in that event, and for the most part the only benefit at all is that you don't have to sit around for 10 minutes or so just to make sure you do get credit for the track you built up already.

It takes much more than 10 min on average to reach T6.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@"Balthazzarr.1349" said:I would expect that means when you come back in you have to wait until the timer resets and runs for the full 5 minutes before it starts "counting down" again if you're not active., and from the looks of it that applies to the rewards as well. So if you get in just after the timer resets then you'll have to wait almost 10 minutes before you start getting rewards again.

I was referring to T3 actually, which is the level you need to start getting rewards. :)

@"Balthazzarr.1349" said:

I was referring to T3 actually, which is the level you need to start getting rewards. :)

Ah. It’ll benefit those that are also going for the reward tracks as it does take some time to ramp up participation (or at least on slow maps).

@ArchonWing.9480 said:Well now you can tell people to stop afking. It'll be for their own good.But what does it have to do with AFKing?

For the rewards I thought that was to get you pips without doing anything. Unless I understand it wrong, you're not going to get any pips at all when logged out. You earn a tick or two by not having to work up participation if you logged out with T6... but you loose like 6-8 ticks or whatever it is for T6->T2.

So people will still AFK as usual for the pips. At best, they log earlier as soon as they hit T2 and have a very easy time getting T3 the next log in.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@ArchonWing.9480 said:Well now you can tell people to stop afking. It'll be for their own good.But what does it have to do with AFKing?

For the rewards I thought that was to get you pips without doing anything. Unless I understand it wrong, you're not going to get any pips at all when logged out. You earn a tick or two by not having to work up participation if you logged out with T6... but you loose like 6-8 ticks or whatever it is for T6->T2.

So people will still AFK as usual for the pips. At best, they log earlier as soon as they hit T2 and have a very easy time getting T3 the next log in.

Well, I afk to drain out the remaining participation before sorting things out in a city. Wouldn't have to worry about that anymore and I also don't have to worry about starting from level 0 again next time.

If there's a 5-10 minute delay on regaining pip progression once reentering wvw I imagine the end result will be around the same as the previous system. It takes about that much time for the average player to reach T3. Only now players won't "pip down".A good change that'll hopefully cut down on the AFKers.

~ Kovu

@"Kovu.7560" said:If there's a 5-10 minute delay on regaining pip progression once reentering wvw I imagine the end result will be around the same as the previous system. It takes about that much time for the average player to reach T3. Only now players won't "pip down".A good change that'll hopefully cut down on the AFKers.

~ KovuAgain, I question why they would stop AFKing and pipping down. Doing it would still get you more pips than not doing it, with this change. Isnt that the point of doing it in the first place?

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@"Kovu.7560" said:If there's a 5-10 minute delay on regaining pip progression once reentering wvw I imagine the end result will be around the same as the previous system. It takes about that much time for the average player to reach T3. Only now players won't "pip down".A good change that'll hopefully cut down on the AFKers.

~ KovuAgain, I question why they would stop AFKing and pipping down. Doing it would still get you more pips than not doing it, with this change. Isnt that the point of doing it in the first place?

Scale up time, if you start at max participation you don't have to worry about an over roamed map or lack of action preventing you from getting T3 participation for 15-20 minutes. Plus you get max rewards tracks bonus.

I like the change a lot.

@Hesacon.8735 said:

Scale up time, if you start at max participation you don't have to worry about an over roamed map or lack of action preventing you from getting T3 participation for 15-20 minutes. Plus you get max rewards tracks bonus.

I like the change a lot.But ramp up time for pips is still eliminated by logging around T3 after this change... and getting the pips from AFKing T6 to that point. I doubt AFKers care about the max reward track bonus (they obviously didnt before).

@sarkysek.1085 said:Left WvW with T6 participation, but when I got back in after 30 minutes, it was all gone. Is that a bug or did I missinterpret it?

Both hubby and I had same problem. 20 mins in pve land and my t6 participation was gone- 0. We waited for 2 ticks as well for rewards and nothing. I started a discussion under bug In the forums and no responses yet.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

I like the change a lot.But ramp up time for pips is still eliminated by logging around T3 after this change... and getting the pips from AFKing T6 to that point. I doubt AFKers care about the max reward track bonus (they obviously didnt before).

I care about both, and the old method is still possible. Now I just don't have to feel guilty about "wasting" 10 minutes of pips if I go to do fractals or an spvp match.

@Calisanna.8732 said:

@sarkysek.1085 said:Left WvW with T6 participation, but when I got back in after 30 minutes, it was all gone. Is that a bug or did I missinterpret it?

Both hubby and I had same problem. 20 mins in pve land and my t6 participation was gone- 0. We waited for 2 ticks as well for rewards and nothing. I started a discussion under bug In the forums and no responses yet.

hmm that’s odd. I logged off for a while then went back in. Participation level was right where it was when I left.

Archived