New salvage mechanics (sigils & runes)

Ashantara.8731

So, regardless of what kit I use and what type of rarity I salvage, I always only get 1-2 motes out of each rune/sigil? And no symbols and charms at all?

What am I missing? Anyone figured this out yet?

And this:

@Ashantara.8731 said:

What I am currently doing, as I am getting the impression that salvaging the item directly doesn't provide as much in quantity, is that I use my Endless Upgrade Extractor to remove each upgrade before salvaging the item. This, of course, is much more time consuming than before the update, so I am not convinced updating the salvage and crafting mechanics was such a brilliant idea.

I think it would have sufficed if ANet had just updated the Sigil & Rune stats and provided recipes for the previously uncraftable Runes & Sigils instead of changing the whole mechanic. I really don't see the point of changing it, because now we have to juggle with even more materials.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:You didn't salvage enough runes or sigils, and probably only minor ones at that.

About 100, and major and exotic ones, too.

@Astralporing.1957 said:The number of motes and the chance to salvage symbols/charms is tier dependant (and independent of the type of salvage kit).

Ah, so I didn't imagine things. Thanks. :)

P.S. I didn't see a difference in tier, by the way. All rarities gave me equal results.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:P.S. I didn't see a difference in tier, by the way. All rarities gave me equal results.

Not likely.

LOL! I just read and responded to that thread where you already published the link. And the percentages are all super low, so don't give the "Not likely" treatment, mister. ;) I always got ~2 motes out of them and just 1 symbol.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:P.S. I didn't see a difference in tier, by the way. All rarities gave me equal results.

Not likely.

LOL! I just read and responded to that thread where you already published the link. And the percentages are
all
super low, so don't give the "Not likely" treatment, mister. ;)

You wrote "All rarities gave me equal results." That's not likely, given the drop rates posted. Superiors drop triple the amount of lucent notes that minors drop. If you salvaged 100 of each, it's very unlikely that you'd have seen the same number for each.

And if you were referring to charms & symbols, then 100 of each should still have produced noticeably different results, roughly 19 from minors, and 90 from superiors roughly 1.9 from minors and 9 from superiors. (edit: fixed the numbers).

So yes, it's not statistically likely that salvaging enough runes or sigils would produce no difference across tiers.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:And if you were referring to charms & symbols, then 100 of each should still have produced noticeably different results, roughly 19 from minors, and 90 from superiors.That's not 19% or 0.19. That's 0.19%. A fraction of one percent. So, when salvaging 100 of each, you are quite likely to get the same results - namely 0 for each.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:And if you were referring to charms & symbols, then 100 of each should still have produced noticeably different results, roughly 19 from minors, and 90 from superiors.That's not 19% or 0.19. That's 0.19%. A fraction of one percent. So, when salvaging 100 of each, you are quite likely to get the same results - namely 0 for each.

My apologies. There was an issue with numbers as originally posted on Reddit and that got copied into the thread I started (all cleared up now).

It's roughly 2 symbols|charms from masterwork, 4 from rare upgrades, and 9 from superiors. It's still "not statistically likely" to have gotten the same results from all three rarities if salvaging large amounts.

If the poster to whom I responded only tried 10 times each, then there's a 39% chance of not getting any symbols|charms from even 10 superiors, which still means it's unlikely to have not seen a difference. However, 10 tries each isn't statistically useful.

The point remains: the statement "All rarities gave me equal results" was unlikely to have been true, if the poster was opening a large enough sample to establish a pattern.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:And if you were referring to charms & symbols, then
of each should still have produced noticeably different results, roughly 19 from minors, and 90 from superiors.That's not 19% or 0.19. That's 0.19%. A fraction of one percent. So, when salvaging 100 of each, you are quite likely to get the same results - namely 0 for each.

My apologies. There was an issue with numbers as originally posted on Reddit and that got copied into the thread I started (all cleared up now).

It's roughly 2 symbols|charms from masterwork, 4 from rare upgrades, and 9 from superiors. It's still "not statistically likely" to have gotten the same results from all three rarities if salvaging large amounts.The numbers are for 1000 tries. The number you yourself mentioned (bolded in quote) was an order of magnitude lower, so it would be .2 from masterwork, .4 from rare, .9 from superior.

If the poster to whom I responded only tried 10 times each, then there's a 39% chance of not getting any symbols|charms from even 10 superiors, which still means it's unlikely to have not seen a difference. However, 10 tries each isn't statistically useful.You might want to recalculate that again. At given numbers the chances of not getting any symbol/charm out of 10 superior salvages is ~92%, not 39%. 40% is the chance of not getting any from a
superiors.

The point remains: the statement "All rarities gave me equal results" was unlikely to have been true, if the poster was opening a large enough sample to establish a pattern.A large enough, yes, but we were talking specifically about a specific sample size - 100 tries. That made the expected results for all 3 groups lower than 1.

Unless the numbers i see in the reddit thread you linked are wrong.

In order to really see differences you need to salvage thousands of the stuff. A hundred or two just isn't enough.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:If the poster to whom I responded only tried 10 times each, then there's a 39% chance of not getting any symbols|charms from even 10 superiors, which still means it's unlikely to have not seen a difference. However, 10 tries each isn't statistically useful.

I told you it was about ten times that amount. Anyway, as stated, I don't see it giving a "satisfactory" salvaging result at all.

What I am currently doing, as I am getting the impression that salvaging the item directly doesn't provide as much in quantity, is that I use my Endless Upgrade Extractor to remove each upgrade before salvaging the item. This, of course, is much more time consuming than before the update, so I am not convinced updating the salvage and crafting mechanics was such a brilliant idea.

I think it would have sufficed if ANet had just updated the Sigil & Rune stats and provided recipes for the previously uncraftable Runes & Sigils instead of changing the whole mechanic. I really don't see the point of changing it, because now we have to juggle with even more materials.

Archived