Holosmith counterplay?

Razor.6392

Say I don't want to play necro or spellbreaker.

Do I stand a chance at all against holosmith as a power class? Faceroll doesn't begin to describe this spec lol.

2 second cd on a leap that can do 6k damage and makes it impossible to kite, perma might fury and other boons, 2000 range aoe knockdown, 3.5-4k damage autos.

What do? I'm a FA ele and my highest damage spell, that can only land with a previous setup, does 3 to 4k damage and is on a 20 seconds cooldown.

Holosmith got obliterated with the 20% reduction to damage nerf. They are glass cannon that doesn't do enough damage to make up for being glass.

Don't know much about FA ele in pvp. Only Eles I ever see seem to be auramancers and built for support and sustain. Have you had much success against other damage classes?

@Omcrazy.4756 said:Holosmith got obliterated with the 20% reduction to damage nerf. They are glass cannon that doesn't do enough damage to make up for being glass.

Don't know much about FA ele in pvp. Only Eles I ever see seem to be auramancers and built for support and sustain. Have you had much success against other damage classes?

Depends on the matchup but generally I can stand my ground.

I just have no idea how to deal with this. Holosmith effectively does 3x more damage than I can ever dream to inflict as burst. Scepter or dagger, I cannot even try to fight them because the damage disparity is massive. I only have so many dodges and when autoattacks do almost 4k damage, there's little hope for success.

I don't see thieves faring much better against them, or power necro, or power mesmer.

Looks like it's gonna be another season of only meta-can-touch-meta, and it's "balanced" because compared to other meta specs, it isn't that great. Sigh.

@Mutaatti.2789 said:Soulbeast. Well atleast before they nerf pets... Soulbeast is OP power class atm, but it lacks condi cleanse. I made bunker beast, which could 1v1 Spellbreaker and neither one was dying. (plat div). But mirage when mastered is good against anything else than spellbreaker.

Wilderness Survival -> Wilderness Knowledge and load up on Survival utilities then manage those carefully has worked decently well for me. Ends up with 3 abilities that remove 2 conditions. I stay out at range so don't have to worry about Scourge. Only switch to melee if someone comes after me that isn't Scourge, Scourge I kite.

@LUST.7241 said:Don't fight glass cannon with glass cannon. Bunker Ele poops on Holosmith.

How does bunker ele even do damage to holosmith? Does that build even exist? I only know of auramancer and that's it. D/D cele is the last thing I remember that was remotely tanky and damaging enough at the same time.

@HeadCrowned.6834 said:I saw phantaram in his stream yesterday playing marauder Ele, and he definately did more damage than you describe here.

Was it weaver? I switched back to core ele and I find it a lot stronger against holo or other specs in general.

So while Holo's damage is definitely overtuned, weaver being garbage also helps cementing this feeling of weakness.

Holo's damage was also reduced by 20% right at launch (all photon forge skills + grandmaster traits and the odd ranged attack trait). They should be allowed to kill something. I've seen people whisper me the moment i win a fight even if they have beaten me fair and square before.

About holographic shockwave :

Outside of the big stationary jump up and down animation locking him in place it has travel time, so if you are on the edge of it you might be able to walk out of it and if you are close to the center dodging might make you get hit by it when it catches up. The funny thing though is that the center of the thing does not get hit. Using it on top of a target leaves it unaffected (we are talking about 100nades level of right on top here though).

@Razor.6392 said:

@HeadCrowned.6834 said:I saw phantaram in his stream yesterday playing marauder Ele, and he definately did more damage than you describe here.

Was it weaver? I switched back to core ele and I find it a lot stronger against holo or other specs in general.

So while Holo's damage is definitely overtuned, weaver being garbage also helps cementing this feeling of weakness.

No I'm pretty sure it was weaver though.

@HeadCrowned.6834 said:

@Razor.6392 said:

No I'm pretty sure it was weaver though.

I mean, we could argue about how BS it is to have 6k damage on 2s cd, or the photon burst doing near 10k... or the simple fact that every single one of photon skills including the elite are dodge-or-lose tier.

Can't dodge them all man.

Archived