Should relinks happen more often?

Blackarps.1974

I'm not sure on the EU situation but NA is rough. Several "full" servers that seem to have very little going on outside peak hours (NA prime mostly). I thought of the idea last night when my guild and others over on reddit discussed how imbalanced it can be for weeks at a time. My proposed suggestion is to relink servers right before reset each week but keep the population updates on Mondays as usual. If weekly is too much, maybe bi-monthly instead. Server pride is out the window at this point so why not try to keep things fresh and entertaining instead of karma trains for days/weeks until the restructure happens? This would also help out the guilds that actively play (nightly/daily) from having to spend what little gold they have to transfer, just so they can get action.

@Dawdler.8521 said:This makes it too volatile and having tiers or glicko is pointless. Then we might as well just go straight to EoTM and just have 3 sides.

Also, it wouldnt help the population. You cant conjure up players out of nowhere by shuffling links. Its still the same amount of players.

This isn't so much about getting more players as it is making sure players have things fresh so they stay around and stay on the same servers. What we are seeing right now is guild after guild moving as they always have. The problem now though is that less players and guilds are around compared to years ago. This means if 1-2 guilds leave a server, its a pretty big deal. It could change the server from full to very high and potentially get them a link.

Right now, glicko and one up, one down are pointless anyways as the situation still stands where the servers with the most coverage will win each week. Winning means nothing. PPT is pointless. Its all about fights and even some guild pride still in there. A relink change to weekly or bi-monthly could potentially solve the issues we are seeing right now.

All these pleas for faster relinks is falling on deaf ears when they're already creating a system that will automate it for them, since they currently have to manual do it every time now, you know that right?

Plus a week doesn't create enough data to move servers around, unless it's a massive move to stack a server, which we've seen players are upset about that both ways anyways (players not on that server complain about stacking, players on that server complain about being closed and no link after). There's a lot of selfish guilds out there sorry to say.

All this "decrease tiers to 3" business...smh. You must really like sitting in queues.

Even T4 servers are sitting on queues reset, not all BLs, but queues nonetheless. You want to mash that into three? NA would be ridiculous trying to get entire guild groups in for raid. Also no where to go if your server does get bandwagoned. Sure it would make offhours more populated, but c'mon.

I do think re-linking monthly would be far better than every 2. You have servers like GoM that get big influx versus servers like SoR that drop huge numbers. Monthly re-link better as the dropping server wouldn't be AS demoralized.

@"XenesisII.1540" said:All these pleas for faster relinks is falling on deaf ears when they're already creating a system that will automate it for them, since they currently have to manual do it every time now, you know that right?

Plus a week doesn't create enough data to move servers around, unless it's a massive move to stack a server, which we've seen players are upset about that both ways anyways (players not on that server complain about stacking, players on that server complain about being closed and no link after). There's a lot of selfish guilds out there sorry to say.

I'm well aware of the system they are working on but why is it so hard to do relinks weekly or bi-monthly? Is this a task that takes hours to complete?

What exactly are you talking about in your second paragraph here? What data are we looking at to "move servers around"? Was this posted publicly? If you're just talking about the number of active players on any server at a given time, that is probably data created in real time or at least called for every hour or so. I've seen servers open and close within 2 hours before. Clearly they had enough data then to manually or automatically make the change.

They look at the average activity of a server over a period of time to determine it's size.

The opening and closing of servers I'm sure is automated because there's a threshold to determine it. Know which servers usually are closed in a couple hours? usually it was BG or JQ because players complained about them being open, which then led to the speculation that they were always manually closed. The rest usually take 3-4 days to close unless the bandwagon left them. This threshold check also looks like it's done once a week, Monday by the looks of it.

The process of actually linking servers together is manually done, but before that they have to take the time to look at the data for every server and see what the population has been like the previous weeks, obviously the more data you can use to compare the better. You're asking for this to be done from 8 weeks down to 1 or 2 weeks, that means they would need to spend a lot more time just doing this and not working on the new system.

This whole process is already being worked on to be automated entirely in any case, that's the point of the alliance system. Which I'm sure they can make adjustments on how often to shake things up, 8 weeks or 6 or 4 or 2, personally I think a minimum of 4 is fine.

When this was voted on. Everyone actually voted for once a month relinks. Rather than take the community at their vote Anet decided 2 was better. At the time this may have been the better choice due to more players. However since the rapid decline in population 2 months is too long now in my opinion. You can get a link and be stuck being steamrolled for 2 months. You might as well not turn up for wvw. I know I haven't logged in to the mode much since the last relink as my server is basically on the border of becoming a link server but anet refuses to make it one.

Regardless. While we are waiting for the new system to come into place. It would be nice for Anet to revisit the timeframe for relinks in the current environment. So people aren't stuck feeling trapped for 2 months at a time and then hoping it will get better upon the next relink only for it not to.

The sadist in me still wants to see some of the luckier servers that haven't yet suffered enough do so. Yet, the non sadist knows if those luckier servers ever did suffer, most would jump ship immediately leaving loyalists to do the suffering.

Anything short of a month might prevent ship jumping and perhaps alleviate most misery, but it'd kill gem revenue since people wouldn't really need to transfer.

I think 1 month handles misery and Anet workload well, while still allowing transfers if players are willing to pay rather than play 4 weeks in a match they find uncomfortable.

Other than that, there really is no option between 4-8 weeks that we the players have the mental capacity to keep track of.

Anet compromised, they originally planned for 3, they decided to use 2 because most of the votes went between 1/2/3 months, it wasn't a majority vote, and even if it was it would have failed because none were over 50% of the votes.

38.1% Reevaluate match-ups monthly.15.9% Reevaluate match-ups every other month.28.9% Reevaluate match-ups quarterly.5.5% Reevaluate match-ups every 4 months.11.6% Reevaluate match-ups every 6 months.

Of course you can try and argue things have changed, the majority of people want 1 month now, but some here didn't believe in the legitimacy of polls (see desert borderlands), nor does listening to what's left of the old crotchety wvw forum players these days really count much for anything.

I can imagine people are tired of links since it's been 2.5 years since it was implemented. During which server identity has been destroyed by links, servers destroyed by players with their pre-alliances, bandwagons, and miss-timed movements to try and game the system to get full open servers with links, and anet ramping down development since the rewards and gliding were put in.

But I doubt they will change anything since they are working on the replacement.

Lastly, they can relink all they want, but one server will always be in the bottom.

Archived