New Player Looking for Versatile Class for PVE & WvW

Lucken.6098

Hello! I'm new to GW2 and having trouble deciding on a main. I tend to be an alt-o-holic in other games. Then I get overwhelmed with trying to progress all my characters and don't really get to the 'end game'. I want try to focus this time and am looking for one profession to spend a lot of time on. Then much later I can make other professions as alts. But I can't seem to figure out what would work best for me.

Here's what I'm looking for, any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated!

• I don't want to be ruled out of any game play due to my profession. I want to be able to participate in dungeons, fractals and raids, as well as world vs world.
  • I'm planning on joining a guild but if I do join a random group I don't want to be kicked out just for playing a certain class.
  • I don't want a class that's optimal rotation is only 1-2 buttons only; I'm new but I don't mind putting in the effort into learning a more complex class if it is rewarding.
  • I like fast-paced game play
  • I like the aesthetic of dual wielding weapons (swords, daggers, etc) but this isn't a deal-breaker
  • I don't like managing pets
  • I'd like to be able to change my spec/weapons to do different things if I'm in the mood. Not just DPS, not just full support.

Thank you!

Right now ranger is probably your best option for versatility. Soulbeast has fantastic options for both dps (power) & dot (condi) that are relatively easy to learn. A ranger Druid elite is meta for healing. Pet choice gives you flexibility and for soulbeast pet choice has a huge impact. You say you don’t like managing pets, fine, run soulbeast and beast mode and you almost never see your pet! All classes dual wield in some sense, and ranger has a few good options there too. Gear change is either a matter of having multiple sets on your character, or spending the time to acquire gear that has stats that can be changed (legendary; bloodstone; mist) all ascended armor and weapons can change stats,although it takes a small amount of time and money/resources to do so. I play every game mode with ranger and enjoy each, although you will need to adjust your builds a bit in each mode for optimal play.

from not 1-2 button it's elementalist & engineer, then comes mesmer(but this is different story, if you wish to know more hope on mesmer forum :) ).there is nothing more fast paces in the game then dagger/dagger ele but those days are gone, i guess. :) I missed those guysto change builds and be viable, you must own both expacs.

Classes that are doing fine in all game modes currently:

• W> @Lucken.6098 said:

Here's what I'm looking for, any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated!

• I don't want to be ruled out of any game play due to my profession. I want to be able to participate in dungeons, fractals and raids, as well as world vs world.

Choose anything except Necromancer and Elementalist.Then again, life is hard but not impossible to use the above either way.

• I'm planning on joining a guild but if I do join a random group I don't want to be kicked out just for playing a certain class.

Only guilds that actually may kick people because of class are real hardcore WvW Guilds. And thats only if you absolutely do not have a single class part of WvW meta.People having 5~6 alts are common in this game so most of the time guilds allow anyone.

• I don't want a class that's optimal rotation is only 1-2 buttons only; I'm new but I don't mind putting in the effort into learning a more complex class if it is rewarding.

Complexity is subject to opinion, but rotation wise the most braindead rotation classes is probably Thief (due to how they kit works) and the most complex is Elementalist.PvP and WvW is not exactly a place where you need to care much about complex rotations, but for Raids you may want to check sites like Snowcrows.com and check the rotation of each class.

• I like fast-paced game playWell, thats every class pretty much.

• I like the aesthetic of dual wielding weapons (swords, daggers, etc) but this isn't a deal-breakerhummm, that makes things a little complicate meta wise.As viable* build you can play around with Dual Axe Soulbeast, DualSword mesmer, Dual Sword Warrior, Dual Dagger Thief, Dual Pistol Thief and Dual Sword Herald.

• viability depends on game mode.
  • I don't like managing petsThere isn't much of pet managing in this game. Mesmer summons clones pretty much to sacrifice for their own skills, Rangers the pets are pretty much free tankers or extra skills. Necromancers just summon tons of minions and focus their own business.

• I'd like to be able to change my spec/weapons to do different things if I'm in the mood. Not just DPS, not just full support.

Majority of classes play multiple roles.The exceptions are Thieves as they are locked to Roaming/DPS roles for every game mode, they can't support at all.

After all this, I would probably recommend either Guardian, Revenant or Mesmer.

• 2 weeks later...

Mesmer is the most versatile in demand profession in PvE, PvP and WvW.

In PvE two Chronomancers is mandatory for raids and one is mandatory in fractals. It also has the option to run as a damage dealer with Condition Mirage, which is overall solid DPS on some fights and OP god mode DPS in others. It's always in demand. Also Meta Chrono alternates between Sword+Shield as it's main set with Sword+Sword, Sword+Focus and Sword+Pistol as it's off set depending on the fight so there is duel wielding it it's meta set. Condition Mirage Runs Axe+Torch / Axe+Pistol and Scepter+Torch / Secpter+Pistol.

In PvP it's most powerful build is Condition Mirage, which is hybrid 1v1er and roaming side noder. Very powerful in the right hands. It can also run power crit versions of mirage and chrono with great sword.

In WvW it can roam as both condition / hybrid mirage and as power greatsword mirage and chrono. It can also run minstrel boon share chrono in zergs which is one of the strongest zerg builds in the game.

It uses a lot of npcs with clones and phantasms, but they really don't feel like ranger or necro pets at all.

I don't think any build can fulfill as many different roles as well as mesmer can in this game.

Professions everyone wants everywere:

Warrior - great offensive support. you can build full dps and use banners in PvE for damagebuffs, or use commonly called "bubbles" in WvW zergs for area denial and boonstrip. For roaming you are one of the better professions to fight outnumbered fights due to multiple reasons...

Guardian - you can play powerburst with core and dragonhunter, support or condi with firebrand. Very versitile and wanted everywere. Roaming is so/so though, avrage mobility (outstanding engage though) and low basehealth can lead to some frustrating moments.

Engineer - Holosmith rules EVERYWERE except in WvW Zergs. a superb profession with so much packed into it. For WvW you can play healer if you want, or a join a zergbuster squad/group and assist your mainzerg. you pretty much only need a standard powerbuild (berserker) to play everything.

Mesmer - played as support everywere due to best boonshare ingame. Clones gets boring after a while though (my OCD kills me everytime i lose a clone before i intend to shatter it, owgawd). Condimirage is probably 1 of the most annoying builds out there in roaming & pvp right now. It got a bit too much power for the skill required to bombard someone so efficiently.

Ranger - good with powerdps, condidps and most of all as a druid in PvE. It got some cheesy builds and can hit like a truck, but its veeeeeeeeery generic.

I'd suggest Revenant.

While many say the rotation is simple, you are actively pressing far more than 2 buttons.

Power Rev Sword/Sword: PvE anything, WvW Roaming. Great in group content where no other support professions are present.Condi Rev Mace / Axe: PvE anything,Power Rev Hammer/Staff: WvW zerg / squadHealer Support Renegade: RaidsHealer Support Herald: WvWFrontline Support Herald: WvW

So you can play Power DPS (dual wield), Power DPS (ranged hammer) Condi DPS (dual wield) healing support or boon support.

Archived