Article 13 in Europe

Aridon.8362

In case if you haven't heard already, Article 13 was passed in Europe, so I wanted to hear people's opinion on this since it is a big thing that could impact some of the well known players. Copyright is a huge issue in the gaming world and as a game dev I can understand why an act like this would be put into play. Maybe Anet don't care if users post content of their game around, improbably betting they don't, but imagine the what ifs that come into play.

@Just a flesh wound.3589 @"Randulf.7614""Article 13 would force all online platforms to police and prevent the uploading of copyrighted content, or make people seek the correct licenses to post that content. For the most part this would mean filters that check content as it's uploaded would be mandatory for platforms including Facebook, Instagram, GitHub, Reddit and Tumblr, but also many much smaller platforms."

Copied from some site: https://www.cnet.com/news/article-13-europes-hotly-debated-eu-copyright-law-explained/

@Glider.5792 said:@Just a flesh wound.3589 @"Randulf.7614""Article 13 would force all online platforms to police and prevent the uploading of copyrighted content, or make people seek the correct licenses to post that content. For the most part this would mean filters that check content as it's uploaded would be mandatory for platforms including Facebook, Instagram, GitHub, Reddit and Tumblr, but also many much smaller platforms."

Copied from some site: https://www.cnet.com/news/article-13-europes-hotly-debated-eu-copyright-law-explained/

I suggest you edit your OP to add it. Most people aren’t content creators and many won’t know anything about this law. In addition a lot of people only read the OP then comment, so you’ll see this same question repeatedly.

Edit. Nvm. Not the OP

This hasn't actually gone through yet - the directive is still being finalised, which means changes could be made. And even if/when the directive is approved it won't actually do anything until all the EU member states incorporate it into their laws, which even for fairly straight forward Directives can take years.

Then it depends on exactly what form the enforcement takes. Unless the Directive fundamentally changes existing copyright law (which it doesn't sound like it will) many things people are worried about would be protected as permitted derivatives or parodies. The problem is that there's been talk of using automated software which can't make that kind of distinction, but that may just mean that some allowance has to be made for sites to have a real person check potential copyright violations instead of relying on software.

And of course the approach to enforcement, the time scale and the consequences could be different for every EU nation, because it will be up to them to decide how they write it into law.

In at least some cases the solution may be simply to ignore obviously negligible 'copyright violations' even if they are technically illegal. For many years it was technically illegal to use MP3 players in the UK because it required you to make a copy of a song from a CD or your PC (often 2 copies - from the CD to the PC and then to the MP3 player) and UK copyright law made no exceptions for copies made for personal use. But MP3 players were sold openly and legally in shops and millions of people used them without being arrested or fined because it was generally considered obvious to everyone involved that's not the kind of thing the law was intended to stop and it's simply not worth pursuing. It was finally fixed during a short-lived drive after an election to 'clean up' UK law - they quickly gave up on simplifying the whole thing because that's a huge amount of work, but that one and a few others did get fixed.

I feel this is going to take a lot of work and a lot of money to actually enforce but will ultimately fail due to public and corporate backlash.

I don't think A13 will be that effective overall and just another EU failure that ends up wasting a lot of peoples money.I see little benefit to the EU these days and with talks about a military super state to oppose the U.S.. our biggest ally of all things, I think it's well past time the EU just goes away entirely.

@Glider.5792 said:@Just a flesh wound.3589 @"Randulf.7614""Article 13 would force all online platforms to police and prevent the uploading of copyrighted content, or make people seek the correct licenses to post that content. For the most part this would mean filters that check content as it's uploaded would be mandatory for platforms including Facebook, Instagram, GitHub, Reddit and Tumblr, but also many much smaller platforms."

So it's a much more Draconic DMCA ?It won't effect Anet in most regards then unless they use content for trailers that doesn't belong to them or isn't properly licesenced.

Archived