Achievement Point Discussion

I hunt achievements quite frequently. I work my ass off for them because I am desperate to at least get as many armor skins as I can.I have only been playing for just over 3 years now and I only have just under 13k achievement points, this means I am not even halfway to my first chest piece.There is a lot of content missing from the game that used to award tons of achievements points, with LWS1 gone, there is a huge set of AP that players do not get to earn.This post on reddit a year ago and some top comments on it, cover fairly well some of the issues, especially for newcomers.

I don't think I have ever seen anyone close to the the 60,000 AP reward.I have barely seen people at 30k and those people were long term players who have played everything there is.I can't see it being a realistic goal for me to reach that many points, no matter how much I farm for AP.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello AP Hunter! You seem to be confused about Achievement Points a little so let me give you some information to help you out.

It is true that LWS1, festival, and some other retired achievements are now unobtainable. Anyone who starts today (or after LWS1 for that matter) for AP will not catch those at the top as long as the top continually plays and searches out AP. Sadly, this is just the way it is for the leaderboards or those you may see above 30k. However, reaching 30k AP as of today isn't unobtainable and just takes time.

Some things to think about is Daily AP is capped at 15k. It is calculated Monthly AP + Daily AP = Current Daily AP or 15k. Those who did Monthly AP's have no more advantage than someone who didn't; they simple reached the max sooner. Also, top AP is held by Animaniak at 38,736 AP. So you definitely haven't seen anyone near 60k. (Maybe a typo?) Those above 30k are also in the top 1-3% of players so they too are a rarity to find.

The armor pieces you're thinking of are at 30k and 36k. The first is definitely achievable but the latter may take another year or so for those who came after LWS1. The backpieces to finish the sets are at 39k and 42k and cannot be reached yet. So if you've been working your booty off to reach it, you're not alone and keep going. AP is usually a measurement of dedication, time, and determination for the game itself. Make sure you also play every aspect of GW2 (WvW, PvE, PvP, Raids, etc.) to max your AP earning potential. You'd be surprised how much AP you can earn doing a little of those each day/week. Good luck to you.

Sources: https://leaderboards.guildwars2.com/en/eu/achievementshttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Achievement_rewardsMyself after 10k hours over 2275 days on my 34,123 AP account

Another thing to consider is that every single new release brings new achievements. The fact that there's rewards up to 60,000AP doesn't mean Anet expects that to be achievable now, just that they're planning ahead for when it will be achievable - it was probably easier to add a ton of rewards in one go than one new one every time someone gets closer to the next chest. Also it lets the achievement hunters know there will be more stuff to get so they have an incentive to keep going.

@hellsqueen.3045 said:I don't think I have ever seen anyone close to the the 60,000 AP reward.

And you won't see anyone with 60k AP in many years. And that's a good thing, otherwise there would be no reason to have more AP going forward. Also, notice how there is a gap in the rewards at 45k and above. The achievement reward list isn't complete, it's not like a reward track that has fixed rewards, instead more rewards will be added to it over the years.

We REALLY need a solution for all those players who missed Living World season 1 and its achievements.

Also, I would still love to see ArenaNet's Long-term plans for achievement rewards. I keep wondering for instance what the path is to 60,000, if there ultimately will be more rewards for achievement ranks.

I also wonder why the recent expansion and living world releases seem to be a bit lacking in AP rewards. Especailly when you compare it to the amount of AP in LW Season 1 and 2 as well as temporary festivals. Players who miss the festivals really will get a hard time to reach the upper levels, as well as players who missed Season 1.

The FOMO is strong in these threads.AP is not a reward track. It shouldn’t be thought of as something to complete. The rewards are to give you a bit of something back for your time investment.AP is not finite. Anet will continue to add AP into the game at the rate they choose to.AP from S1/Historic isn’t as much as people think. I think I read somewhere it’s less than 4k Points.

You aren’t entitled to earn the Achievements, and the points associated, that players earned from S1, because you were not there. It’s that simple.

@Haleydawn.3764 said:AP from S1/Historic isn’t as much as people think. I think I read somewhere it’s less than 4k Points.

Exactly. The actual number of temporary LS1 AP is only 1926 and 165 retired achievements for a total of missing AP: 2091The other AP that are missing from many players are the AP from the Festivals. This is a rather huge number if we combine all the festivals up to now, but given how current festivals also have temporary achievements this isn't likely to change in the future and with good reason - giving an extra incentive to play during a festival. So we are talking about a little over 2k AP that newer players are missing.

The rate of points per LW and content updates is pretty close on average. That however is misdirection that people intentionally not include important key parts to help their arguments.

The amount per achievement point is a lot more work overall now. Before they gave 1-3 for ones you can get on accident or just do automatically, 5 for ones you intended to do, 10 or 25 for checklist collections, and 15 for single challenging tasks. Now its 1-3 across the board and the occasional 10 (even as low as 5) which takes weeks if you do it hard every day.

@Eloc Freidon.5692 said:The amount per achievement point is a lot more work overall now. Before they gave 1-3 for ones you can get on accident or just do automatically, 5 for ones you intended to do, 10 or 25 for checklist collections, and 15 for single challenging tasks. Now its 1-3 across the board and the occasional 10 (even as low as 5) which takes weeks if you do it hard every day.

This is perfectly normal considering LS1 achievements had a very harsh/strict time limit, after all they were only available for about 2 weeks. An achievement that has a 2-week time limit can definitely offer 10, 20, or 25 AP for completion, even if it's easier/faster than an achievement without a time limit that takes months.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@Gop.8713 said:Except it is a reward track. I can see it right there at the top of my cheeve panel . . .

You can't see the 60k reward can you?

No, the segment of the Achievement Point Reward Track that shows at the top of my cheeve panel only shows the next five rewards, so to see the 60k reward I would need to be between 57,500 and 58k. That's not really a problem given how gradual progress along the Achievement Point Reward Track typically is. If they showed the whole thing at once it would be kind of depressing for most folks I imagine . . .

@Gop.8713 said:

@Gop.8713 said:Except it is a reward track. I can see it right there at the top of my cheeve panel . . .

No, the segment of the Achievement Point Reward Track that shows at the top of my cheeve panel only shows the next five rewards, so to see the 60k reward I would need to be between 57,500 and 58k. That's not really a problem given how gradual progress along the Achievement Point Reward Track typically is. If they showed the whole thing at once it would be kind of depressing for most folks I imagine . . .

Then it's not a reward track if you can't see the end of it.It's not a reward track when all its rewards aren't done.It's not a reward track if the rewards from it were data mined and not provided by Arenanet.It's not a reward track if we don't know 60k is the limit. 60k is the highest that was data mined, that doesn't mean that's any kind of a limit.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@Gop.8713 said:

Then it's not a reward track if you can't see the end of it.It's not a reward track when all its rewards aren't done.It's not a reward track if the rewards from it were data mined and not provided by Arenanet.It's not a reward track if we don't know 60k is the limit. 60k is the highest that was data mined, that doesn't mean that's any kind of a limit.

If there is a chance for so many rewards to exist, surely it wouldn't hurt to boost the AP amounts a smidge.It doesn't really feel rewarding to get all those achievement points and still not feel any closer to your goals.

The oddest thing in this thread is this 60k AP thing and I blame the datamining that spawned it. I saw the original data and accidental leak back in the day... more than 60k was outlined. The limit to AP is the current limit you have right now from daily and permanent AP. Some wiki article outlining to an imaginary 60k point has nothing to do with it. Anet could say they have up to 600k AP rewards outlined but until they implement the achievements you're just speculating and exaggerating an impossible outcome that may never be seen. I hope Anet never rewards players for experiences they weren't there for or time and effort they never could put in.

Also, I agree it's not a reward track. It will probably never have an end and all tracks have an end. The rewards are icing on a cake.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@Gop.8713 said:

It is a different style of reward track, but still a reward track. This is an ongoing one and not finite like the wvw/pvps. It is ultimately whether an rnd is ever set is irrelevant for calling it a reward track - it still tracks your progress through it hands out a smal, gradual return of rewards in terms of skins and account based enhancements. How far ahead it shows is just a limitation of the ui dedign because the track is so big and has yet to have a final stage.

Whether or not there is agreement on an improvement to it or the ap levels given out, it is def a reward track.

@"Randulf.7614" said:Whether or not there is agreement on an improvement to it or the ap levels given out, it is def a reward track.

By being infinite, it's not a track anymore. Tracks always have an end. Further, if it was a reward track, it would be here:https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Reward_trackBut it's not, because it's fundamentally different to the others so why call it a "reward track", when it looks nothing like one

The AP rewards are more akin to a shop reward scheme. It’s never ending, consistent, and gives a similar but varied award for each milestone, with every 5k being the “nice one for your commitment to the game!” Chest. This is why the small, large and heavy Achievement chests repeat.It’s not a track to complete.It’s a bonus scheme.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@hellsqueen.3045 said:If there is a chance for so many rewards to exist, surely it wouldn't hurt to boost the AP amounts a smidge.It doesn't really feel rewarding to get all those achievement points and still not feel any closer to your goals.

Set more realistic goals then.

I wish I could, my goal is only the 30k Milestone for the Radiant Chest piece so I can complete my first cosplay. I generally avoid doing them because of reasons of things sometimes being far too difficult to obtain. Like I am committed and regardless of what happens I am going to keep working, but it is just frustrating that no matter how hard I grind achievements, I will probably still end up taking another 3 years to reach 26k. It seems crazy that in 6 years, people have only just gotten some of the rewards that achievements offer in terms of the 30k milestones. I feel bad for all of those very few people, this commitment gets them less than just waiting for their character birthday's now. The year 6 armor set is gorgeous and you don't have to do any work for it.