Just another guy having trouble to decide what profession to play

Jab.7309

Well, I'm coming back to the game, used to play revenant in HoT and engi at the start of PoF (to try holosmith), I had a break and now I want to play a bit more, as I have more time. I'm mostly pve player, but I might try pvp at some point.I like changing things when I play, so I want a class with a fair amount of possible playstyles so I can keep the experience fresh, but I also want a class that can be easily played solo in some pve content (not only world) and doesn't require remembering 30 spells and piano keyboard to play (looking at you ele xD)I loved holosmith (it's my only 80 lvl char)but really dislike core engi, so I don't want it as my mainI considered mesmer (but don't want to be tank only, altho being a tank from time to time is nice, and as purple is ok, I don't like butterflies), ranger (must admit that it being called easiest prof is kinda offputting), thief (seams limited in possible playstyles) and necro (specialization trees seam a bit boring).So I'd be very pleasd if someone could help me with this hard decision.

I agree - Guardian will give you a variety of decent options. It covers so many bases, from dps, conditions, healing and support.

I wouldn't outright dismiss Ranger either. Druid and Soulbeast are very different to each other so you will get a lot of variation beyond the straightforward pewpew core ranger offers. I dismissed ranger for a long time, but I've really got into mine lately.

I also would not call necro elites boring. Reaper is sooo much fun (but pretty one dimensional). I've not played Scourge, but I've not got the impression that anyone finds it boring.

I'll share a bit about Mesmer and Thief as I've had a lot of fun with them in the past year.

While chronomancer usually tank as well as support, it's only relevant in raid (and fractal for support, though you can play support in OW if you want to). So it is possible to play power dps chrono. Fractals and raids are pretty much group content, so you will be co-dependant to your team mates (some people have solo-ed fracs and dungeons, but usually just to break some record since many will take much longer alone). But, I have personally found that Mirage is the best solo class for me. By this I mean relative to my other alts, my mesmer can solo champs, bounties and some legendaries in full dps build (raid/fractal specs, viper's gear). The class is pretty easy to play as well, and I always play it as dps in normal fractals because I'm already comfortable with Mirage Cloak. I got to say though Mirage Cloak (the new dodge mechanic) can be very awkward and clunky at first, but it's actually super great since it allows you to use skills while evading attacks (it feels like QoL improvement especially if you're melee). I usually go with axe/torch or staff/staff (have never mixed them), but prefer melee unless situation forces to change. All in all, Mirage has always been my go-to class when I need to play through harder stuff.

For thief, I just love the rifle Deadeye when it gets to open world, especially when going for bounties or other big games. The spec just feels so impactful the stronger the enemy is. They are good with maintaining self buffs with the help of Maleficent Seven. With their bursty nature, Invigorating Precision coupled with Signet of Malice give more than enough self healing the more dps that you pull. They are pretty good for solo too, although camping on kneeling mode with rifle can be unwise if going against champs or higher. But there is Daredevil if you want for something more mobile. The only turn off to me is when there are plenty of trash mobs. Rifle skill 2 pierces, but needs the enemies to lined up. Sometimes they also block my marked target. Could have swapped to D/D, but I always found myself with the dual pistol because I like to RP in open world as well LOL!

But regardless of my opinion, I always find myself going back playing professions that capture my fantasy, class that thematically exciting to me (which is the two above plus elementalist). First time I picked ele during launch I'd never realized what I'd get myself into. But I eventually I knew I gotta learn some rotations, and they aren't that bad actually (Or maybe they are and I'm just biased because I have mmo mouse HAHA). Spend a couple of hours on training golem, a couple more in open world, they became muscle memory eventually. You can check more on Specialization page on wiki if you haven't, or watch some official trailer from official gw2 youtube channel to see which professions hype you. Hope that helped!

@alchemist.6851 said:you could consider guardian..

I must admit that I've never considered it, thinking of it as more support class, but as I looked into it, it seems like much fun

@Randulf.7614 said:I wouldn't outright dismiss Ranger either. Druid and Soulbeast are very different to each other so you will get a lot of variation beyond the straightforward pewpew core ranger offers. I dismissed ranger for a long time, but I've really got into mine lately.

I also would not call necro elites boring. Reaper is sooo much fun (but pretty one dimensional). I've not played Scourge, but I've not got the impression that anyone finds it boring.

I guess you're right about ranger, it has just this label stuck to it, so it's a viable option, but necro with this boring trees I meant I just see very little room for changes in builds

@"ErickDntn.1847" said:I'll share a bit about Mesmer and Thief as I've had a lot of fun with them in the past year.

As for thief, it looks very fun, plus aesthetics are great, I love animations, but their focus on power damage is a huge downside, I'm certain to have thief alt at some point but now a want to play something more versatile.And as for mesmer it looks like a great profession (mechanics are awesome), but aesthetics... I love for example Chaos Storm, it looks super cool, but Blink for example just looks too "fabulous" for me, it doesn't match with my vision of this character

Thanks for responses, I think that either guardian or ranger might be the right prof for me (leaning for guardian) with mesmer on third place

@Jab.7309 said:

@alchemist.6851 said:you could consider guardian..

I must admit that I've never considered it, thinking of it as more support class, but as I looked into it, it seems like much fun

@Randulf.7614 said:I wouldn't outright dismiss Ranger either. Druid and Soulbeast are very different to each other so you will get a lot of variation beyond the straightforward pewpew core ranger offers. I dismissed ranger for a long time, but I've really got into mine lately.

I guess you're right about ranger, it has just this label stuck to it, so it's a viable option, but necro with this boring trees I meant I just see very little room for changes in builds

@"ErickDntn.1847" said:I'll share a bit about Mesmer and Thief as I've had a lot of fun with them in the past year.

As for thief, it looks very fun, plus aesthetics are great, I love animations, but their focus on power damage is a huge downside, I'm certain to have thief alt at some point but now a want to play something more versatile.And as for mesmer it looks like a great profession (mechanics are awesome), but aesthetics... I love for example Chaos Storm, it looks super cool, but Blink for example just looks too "fabulous" for me, it doesn't match with my vision of this character

Thanks for responses, I think that either guardian or ranger might be the right prof for me (leaning for guardian) with mesmer on third place

Thief is really hard - it’s something to play when you’re a true pro.. I love Mesmer most because what it brings to the game for yourself and party memebers

Ranger has been the easiest to play with because it’s very strong alone and with team.. it can be DPS or one of the best healers.. the adopting pets makes it very interesting

Guardian is sort of like Ranger.. it has an awesome DPS build and a nice healer base.. personally i have a char guardian and he is just awesome so it’s like my 3rd choice now.. maybe i’m just in love with Possession of Blades and greatswords

first choice mesmer and second choice weaver

• 1 month later...

Archived