anyone do well with Shortbow?

Dabrixmgp.4758

You have

• Revenant (require expansions)
  • Ranger
  • Thief

On thief the shortbow is more of a utility option for power based builds.On ranger it's more of an opportunist weapon for condition builds.If damage is what you want, rev will probably be where you'll find an appropriate build as it's designed to be a main weapon with summons to aid you.

I use a shortbow on my condi ranger and I find it works well for PvE. On the ranger it's a condition damage weapon so you need appropriate stats - vipers is popular, or sinister if you don't have HoT/don't want to deal with getting 4-stat sets. I like to mix that with rabid for some toughness so I'm not so squishy.

Conditions are damage over time rather than direct damage so it can't be as quick as a pure power build potentially can be, but then you can't always spike everything down anyway and against some enemies conditions come in very useful. Griffons and smokescales for example - as long as I get a few hits in before they start their evades they'll still be taking damage even when I can't hit them.

Last time I checked (about 3 months ago) there were raid builds for both druid and soulbeast which used a shortbow, although the intention was that you'd use that at the start of the fight and then close in and use a sword or dagger, but there was at least one which involved swapping between dagger/dagger and shortbow for the CC skills.

I think in terms of utility, Theif does well with shortbow, poison fields and the ability to blast fields at range is great, fragmenting the shots for bleeds is decent. But when it comes to raw damage, a well-traited Ranger can do wonders with poison and bleed; if you have Path of Fire, Renegade shortbow is surprisingly very good if you focus on torment and burning. I have a Renegade myself and I use her more than my s-bow Ranger, but both are viable options -- Ranger is more direct, Renegade is more at distance.

• 1 month later...

Archived