Superior rune of Trapper

They will change it to , mark my word

(1): +25 Condition Damage(2): +10% Fear Duration(3): +50 Condition Damage(4): +10% Condition Duration(5): +100 Condition Damage(6): +10% Condition Duration ,Gain 3 seconds of stealth when using a trap skill.

For some reason A.NET is sure 'Fear' duration is what this game desires the most

@phs.6089 said:They will change it to , mark my word

(1): +25 Condition Damage(2): +10% Fear Duration(3): +50 Condition Damage(4): +10% Condition Duration(5): +100 Condition Damage(6): +10% Condition Duration ,Gain 3 seconds of stealth when using a trap skill.

For some reason A.NET is sure 'Fear' duration is what this game desires the most

PSHHH dont summon the balance demons when it is not required xD

@lordraviinheart.3276 said:Question: While you say useless to you, is it harmful to you or detrimental to game play? for 3 seconds I do not see this being a negative weather you take advantage of it or not. Just saying, not trolling.

Fair enough. Yes it would be beneficial for me indeed since i specialize in trapping ppl :D but the point is that the rune that is supposed to help ppl that use traps is having useless skill in its elite slot. Stealth yea. that is reasonable. But in current gameplay you have so much swiftnes not to mention rune of speed with 66% speed increase that even for a theif it would be useless. You could just dodge away from the place you put the trap and distract ur opponent elswhere. I am not saying rune is bad. I just say the Superspeed is useless and since they built the rune aroudn condi the last elite skill might also add condi dmg or duration i would love to go for sweet +125 condi dmg like new rune of thorns has :D but that is just my moist dream :D

@"Pterikdactyl.7630" said:I disagree. The superspeed is amazing for these runes and part of what makes the player so slippery when using them.

Let us introduce ourselves

SwiftnessQuicknessStealth (you dont really need to be fast when you have stealth spam of nowaday classes)Dodge (if traited you gain the swiftness with it)

@Jack Redline.5379 said:

@"Pterikdactyl.7630" said:I disagree. The superspeed is amazing for these runes and part of what makes the player so slippery when using them.

SwiftnessQuicknessStealth (you dont really need to be fast when you have stealth spam of nowaday classes)Dodge (if traited you gain the swiftness with it)

There are three classes that have access to traps. Swiftness may not be accessible to all builds. Quickness doesn't affect movement speed. Superspeed also ignores cripple and chill.

@Jack Redline.5379 said:

@"Pterikdactyl.7630" said:

There are three classes that have access to traps. Swiftness may not be accessible to all builds. Quickness doesn't affect movement speed. Superspeed also ignores cripple and chill.

still it is a reason why ppl wont pick this rune. beacuse superspeed is useless to them

If some people don't understand why ignoring the movement speed reduction of chill and cripple combined with the max movement speed is really useful in PvP/WvW (even more so on something like a Dragon Hunter) then that is their failing,. The superspeed goes perfectly with the stealth effect and traps that often CC your opponent(s).

It does not ignore cripple and chill. Not as they are right now in game.

Whether or not they are meant to I don't know. If you know of some authoritative source saying they should then please share.

If anything I'd replace the condition damage with something defensive. Traps aren't all condition based.Its obviously intended to be a defensive rune with things like superspeed and stealth and while the condition damage synergizes with ranger's (somewhat underwhelming) trap skills, power thieves, guardians (and power rangers using the traps for control and defense) don't benefit so much. Moreover, stealth, superspeed and general mobility is so much more prevalent than it was when the rune was introduced that the benefits really aren't all -that- stellar.

I'd switch up the condition damage with a defensive stat (vitality?), modify the #2 effect to be a bonus to stun/daze/knockdown effects and tack something unique onto the #6 skill like -5 seconds to all trap skills. Or something. Something that -everyone- can benefit from.

~ Kovu

edit: sorry -5 seconds is a poor idea, -20% (potentially multiplicative with the traits) would be a little more appropriate. There's already such a rune for weapon swapping.

@Khisanth.2948 said:

Whether or not they are meant to I don't know. If you know of some authoritative source saying they should then please share.

Hmm as far as I was aware it does. Does not remove them but it ignores their movement-impairing effects. I am not sure what you qualify as an authoritative source since they arguably don't exist for GW2, but it's on the Wiki, which is probably as authoritative as it gets. I spend like 70% of my ingame time roaming in WvW on my Ranger, which has frequent access to superspeed, and I am almost certain it ignores the effects. I am not home right now so cannot test it, but feel free to try for yourself. Pretty sure I remember going through enemy SMC just last night with the permachill effect and I petswapped to ignore a bit of it. I could be wrong though.

Hmm as far as I was aware it does. Does not remove them but it ignores their movement-impairing effects. I am not sure what you qualify as an authoritative source since they arguably don't exist for GW2, but it's on the Wiki, which is probably as authoritative as it gets. I spend like 70% of my ingame time roaming in WvW on my Ranger, which has frequent access to superspeed, and I am almost certain it ignores the effects. I am not home right now so cannot test it, but feel free to try for yourself. Pretty sure I remember going through enemy SMC just last night with the permachill effect and I petswapped to ignore a bit of it. I could be wrong though.

Authoritative would be something from ANet.

The wiki entry was added by someone from the Netherlands so that is probably not someone from ANet.

I tested it a few days ago in the guild arena with the chill and cripple turret. That is why I said "as they are right now in game".

How was your testing done? I checked the speed using the MumbleLink API to get my position and the change in position over time to get the speed. Just eyeballing it gets tricky. Chilled+superspeed still gives you a +34% movement speed which is faster than normal movement speed.

@Khisanth.2948 said:

The wiki entry was added by someone from the Netherlands so that is probably not someone from ANet.

I tested it a few days ago in the guild arena with the chill and cripple turret. That is why I said "as they are right now in game".

How was your testing done? I checked the speed using the MumbleLink API to get my position and the change in position over time to get the speed. Just eyeballing it gets tricky. Chilled+superspeed still gives you a +34% movement speed which is faster than normal movement speed.

Hm, well that's an interesting observation. I have never tested it closely with any data, so perhaps you are right. I didn't know there was something that could be used to actually measure it rather than just eyeballing it.

Hm, well that's an interesting observation. I have never tested it closely with any data, so perhaps you are right. I didn't know there was something that could be used to actually measure it rather than just eyeballing it.

I wrote the program for that purpose. Waiting for someone else to write a pretty version.

I am actually surprised that nobody has done it yet for beetle racing.

every class can run power and condi which means gurdians rangers and theifs that would run condi would benefit from it if they went trapper style. Also we have plenty of defensive runes now and only few of really good condi runes. Also which skill out of all those 6 skills indicates to you it is supposed to be defensife rune? Not to mention it never was defensive rune. i am too lazy to copy it now here and i also have little time before i leave but try opening the gw2 updates and check the rune before. Condi dmg was there 10/10 and also it i think improved poison duration

I wouldnt have isdue with fear duration if it was not for how few sources of fear there is

@Laila Lightness.8742 said:

I wouldnt have isdue with fear duration if it was not for how few sources of fear there is

Then you should check new runes of Nightmare. Maybe you will have an idea why perfectly nice runes, tested by years were made into trash.

@phs.6089 said:

Then you should check new runes of Nightmare. Maybe you will have an idea why perfectly nice runes, tested by years were made into trash.

Probly to encourage people to try new runes

@Laila Lightness.8742 said:

@phs.6089 said:

Probly to encourage people to try new runesIn order to nerf those too, later on?

every class can run power and condi which means gurdians rangers and theifs that would run condi would benefit from it if they went trapper style. Also we have plenty of defensive runes now and only few of really good condi runes. Also which skill out of all those 6 skills indicates to you it is supposed to be defensife rune? Not to mention it never was defensive rune. i am too lazy to copy it now here and i also have little time before i leave but try opening the gw2 updates and check the rune before. Condi dmg was there 10/10 and also it i think improved poison duration

I don't think there was ever a bonus granted by the rune for poison duration.

Runes are designed to synergize in some way with the builds they're supplementing or to shore up weaknesses. Yes, condition damage was there from the outset but on the rune's release it was geared heavily towards rangers (who deal condition damage with almost all their traps) more than thieves who already have so much stealth and mobility that the 6th effect of the rune isn't all that beneficial (over selecting other runes). Also I'm pretty sure only a single thief trap skill actually deals damaging conditions. dragonhunters weren't around when the rune was released and thus weren't considered, their traps deal raw damage.

Now you could run the rune for the condition damage and play a condition build on thief or dragonhunter, but neither will be getting any condition damage out of their traps (with the exception of trait/utility procs, I guess,) and would be relying on other aspects of their builds to carry the conditions. It'd be like equipping a rune that grants a bonus to power and dedicating your utility slots to damaging conditions.

Utilizing the stealth and superspeed of the 6th skill is almost entirely a defensive benefit. I guess if you don't have any leaps or teleports available the superspeed can be used to close the distance, but I feel all three professions have other tools to close the gap. Oh the whole the benefit of stealth+superspeed is best served to kite and create distance. This is true against both mobs in pve and players in pvp/wvw.

The suggestions I made in my previous post will be of greater benefit to all three professions on a greater fraction of builds.

~ Kovu

juts was wondering why Power builds have such a rune a scholar but Condi doesn't have anything remotely closeRunes got updated, where to find a rune with

(1): +25 Condition Damage(2): +5% Condition Duration(3): +50 Condition Damage(4): +10% Condition Duration(5): +100 Condition Damage(6): +10% Condition Duration ; increase condition damage by 5% while your health is above 90%.

Archived