The level of toxicity in high end content & unwelcoming guilds

I'm getting tired of the elitism and toxicity in high end content, I log on to do my fractals everyday and enjoy my time playing Guild Wars 2. Today I had to leave a 100 CM pug group because of a specific players attitude towards me calling me names, being toxic and just thinking he was better then everyone else. This is not the first time that I've dealt with this and its the people from the same guild in particular that are the offenders. I hope that they realize that this is a game and its suppose to be fun. I feel like its people like this at deter people from wanting to do content like Raids, Fractals, Etc. Do you think ArenaNet should do more about these types of situations and or people? Do you think the report system in game doesn't work as intended? Sure you can block the person but there are many people like this. Any other suggestions that anyone has?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Report and block; ArenaNet will determine the outcome.You might consider creating your own LFG; you can control who joins/stays.

Good luck.

That only works if you have the majority of people in the party are on your side to control that sort of thing.I've seen people kicked out of their own LFGs. In level 35 dungeons.People are elitist because they want the most success in the shortest time, there are not enough people with patience anymore.It sucks honestly.

I had a dungeon not too long ago where there were quite a few low levels so we decided to kill as much of the usual enemy spawns as we could instead of running past everything. This very entitled person who joined late decided that to have a go at every single one of us for not running past. I told him that we were killing stuff because there are low levels and killing more things would good for them. He said you don't do that. I told him that people can do that and we are doing that and people don't always run things on his schedule and dungeons, a low level thing can be done however leads to success. And he said people need to get with the program and run things how he does. So we reported him and kicked him for just being such a toxic and elitist person.

@DanAlcedo.3281 said:There is always the other side of the coin.

Did you kitten up a Mechanic or Bad Dps?

(Most) people are toxic for a reason.

People are toxic at all levels for content in this game.People were toxic about your DPS output in dungeons and in the open world.There is no excuse for being an A hole to people, no matter what level content, but lower level stuff should have next to none.Who cares if someone messes up a mechanic? Yeah, it makes things take longer but maybe talk to that person and ask and see if you can help them and if they don't have a clue, maybe ask them to drop out or something because they need people who know what they are doing and if they don't leave and you fail again then kick them. Then that leaves the person in question with a choice, do they do the right thing for everyone if they still don't have a clue what they are doing and find people who can teach them more slowly or do they keep being a burden and get kicked even after they were politely asked if they would drop out.I don't know why there are so many people who play this game who think their success is the only thing that matters, everyone is trying to have fun and learn and succeed and play, just because your success is less guaranteed, it doesn't mean you should be a jerk about it.

I understand people joining guilds that have a very elitist feel to them, but if you choose to join a guild like that, then obviously you deal with the consequences if you don't match their expectation. But those guilds should not be snobbing people outside of their guild. They didn't sign up to join their elitist crowd, that person came to try and get some content done and instead get snobbed by people who think they are better than everyone. That is just being a garbage human being.

@hellsqueen.3045 said:

People are toxic at all levels for content in this game.People were toxic about your DPS output in dungeons and in the open world.There is no excuse for being an A hole to people, no matter what level content, but lower level stuff should have next to none.Who cares if someone messes up a mechanic? Yeah, it makes things take longer but maybe talk to that person and ask and see if you can help them and if they don't have a clue, maybe ask them to drop out or something because they need people who know what they are doing and if they don't leave and you fail again then kick them. Then that leaves the person in question with a choice, do they do the right thing for everyone if they still don't have a clue what they are doing and find people who can teach them more slowly or do they keep being a burden and get kicked even after they were politely asked if they would drop out.I don't know why there are so many people who play this game who think their success is the only thing that matters, everyone is trying to have fun and learn and succeed and play, just because your success is less guaranteed, it doesn't mean you should be a jerk about it.

The problem here is that there are level of toxicity.

I understand its feels bad when you get called names, but people also shouldn’t ger offended by the tiniestbit of hostility.

And more often then not there is a Reason his Teammates are getting Hostile.

People are not some evil douchbags.

You have to trigger them first.

@DanAlcedo.3281 said:

I understand its feels bad when you get called names, but people also shouldn’t ger offended by the tiniestbit of hostility.

There may be a reason that lead them to being hostile, but perhaps those people shouldn't jump to hostility if someone doesn't know something.And yes, sometimes people are just that. Sometimes people are angry and cruel people, there are garbage people in this world and video games are not going to be immune to having those people exist. Sometimes you may just get someone on a bad day, other times you might just get someone who is like that constantly.This is not just restricted to GW though, it's all kinds of games. It is just crap that it exists in all kinds of games because it sucks that hatred and anger exist everywhere.

@hellsqueen.3045 said:

There may be a reason that lead them to being hostile, but perhaps those people shouldn't jump to hostility if someone doesn't know something.And yes, sometimes people are just that. Sometimes people are angry and cruel people, there are garbage people in this world and video games are not going to be immune to having those people exist. Sometimes you may just get someone on a bad day, other times you might just get someone who is like that constantly.This is not just restricted to GW though, it's all kinds of games. It is just kitten that it exists in all kinds of games because it sucks that hatred and anger exist everywhere.

You have a very sad perspective of the world.

i dont do much, if any high level stuff, but what i notice is that some peopleonly care about rewards/money they get out of dungeons/raids/whatever, and they have to get itin the shortest amount of time possible.They dont play the game because the think its fun, but just for as much rewards in as little time possible.

How i miss my gw1 guild.........

@"DanAlcedo.3281" said:There is always the other side of the coin.

I don't think there's any reason for being rude or calling people names. I mean, I understand the motivation: we've all been in groups where someone screwed up big time and caused a wipe at the worst time. And those of us without push-to-talk aren't always cautious about what we say. But really, isn't it easier to not type anything than to type something mean-spirited? Kick without explanation if you have to, put someone on your "no fly" list if you want to avoid them (i.e. by nicknaming so you recognize their other toons). But no, there's no reason to be "toxic."

That said, I've seen many reports here and on reddit and in /map etc, in which the person claiming they are the victim of toxicity turns out to be part of the problem. That doesn't excuse the response, but it also highlights the advice that people should check if their house is made of glass before throwing stones.

@DanAlcedo.3281 said:

There may be a reason that lead them to being hostile, but perhaps those people shouldn't jump to hostility if someone doesn't know something.And yes, sometimes people are just that. Sometimes people are angry and cruel people, there are garbage people in this world and video games are not going to be immune to having those people exist. Sometimes you may just get someone on a bad day, other times you might just get someone who is like that constantly.This is not just restricted to GW though, it's all kinds of games. It is just kitten that it exists in all kinds of games because it sucks that hatred and anger exist everywhere.

You have a very sad perspective of the world.

It might seem like a sad perspective, but it also holds much truth in it. Have you never noticed how much all kinds of trolls/griefers/liars/scammers there are around? Or people that just enjoy picking a fight with anyone without a reason? They are the type of people who just enjoy being them evil douchbags to everyone around them. Those people excist everywhere, in real too but not as many as in games and internet in general. Anonyminity is one big cause for this. Anonymity can bring the worse out of people because they know that they can do and say ANYTHING without having to face any kind of consequences.

Nope not at all, all I was doing was bouncing the ball on chrono and he called me an idiot immediately and I rarely mess up mechanics. The person in question is from a high end raiding guild as well where a lot of toxicity stems from.

@"innocens.1582" said:i dont do much, if any high level stuff, but what i notice is that some peopleonly care about rewards/money they get out of dungeons/raids/whatever, and they have to get itin the shortest amount of time possible.They dont play the game because the think its fun, but just for as much rewards in as little time possible.

How i miss my gw1 guild.........

well you know, if you run the content for the 100x, there is not a lot of fun left you can get out of it. fractals especially are a very effective daily farm, nothing more. and people treat it that way. everything other than a perfect run is already a "failure" and seen as a waste of time.(same could be said about some super boring raid encounters, looking at you w3) i stopped doing them for the very same reason. this happens when there is to less "high level" endgame content or lets say to big gaps between releases. and the game is to tp centric. want anything? better get gold to get it.

@innocens.1582 said:@sigur.9453

i get my enjoyment through my interaction with others mostly.Its not the game, but hanging out with people i like.Its like going out in the weekend, you mostly go the the same places, but its the people you do it withthat makes it a good nights out.

I respect others having other views/opinions about it, whatever suits your fancy.

if i understood correctly we were talking about random groups?obviously if i play with ppl i know and like i don´t care how or what we play. its more a bout the talk in ts.but no random stranger has to like you or has to be liked by you, so i don´t really see how anything you listed matters. no offense.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@"DanAlcedo.3281" said:There is always the other side of the coin.

I don't think there's any reason for being rude or calling people names. I mean, I understand the motivation: we've all been in groups where someone screwed up big time and caused a wipe at the worst time. And those of us without push-to-talk aren't always cautious about what we say. But really, isn't it easier to not type anything than to type something mean-spirited? Kick without explanation if you have to, put someone on your "no fly" list if you want to avoid them (i.e. by nicknaming so you recognize their other toons). But no, there's no reason to be "toxic."

That said, I've seen many reports here and on reddit and in /map etc, in which the person claiming they are the victim of toxicity turns out to be part of the problem. That doesn't excuse the response, but it also highlights the advice that people should check if their house is made of glass before throwing stones.

And then we get the threads in forum I was kicked for no reason why dident they explain what I did wrong gw2 community is so toxic.

@hellsqueen.3045 said:There may be a reason that lead them to being hostile, but perhaps those people shouldn't jump to hostility if someone doesn't know something.

Respect is earned, not given. If you don't know something, how to do a mechanic, how a boss fight works, then say it, you have a keyboard and can type. Not saying that you don't know something, then that something appears during a fight and you fail, makes YOU the rude person. Unless a player turns hostile in a training run... there is no way to describe that, other than saying that person is unfit to teach/train. But in every other situation, if you don't know how things work, speak up, it's that simple.

Ok so long story short because I need to get out my side of the story so that I can vent like a normal person this was a 100 CM run and we were at Artsariiv. I specifically said that I was doing the ball before we even did the pull. So I started to do mechanics because I know what I'm doing I'm no stranger to the rodeo. The minute I started bouncing the ball the person started calling me Idiot and many other profanities. I choose to leave because of the name calling I don't need to be apart of a run where I feel bullied and harassed. To be clear we did get the kill on the boss and no one messed up any mechanics the person in question felt it was their right to belittle me and make me feel bad and yes I had to log off after because I was very upset.

This is the whole point of this thread to begin with what gives someone the right to act that way in a game like this? I've been with ArenaNet since Guild Wars 1 and their games have never been this bad. I've seen this happen to multiple people over the course of this month people being treated poorly. Regardless there is no reason you could possibly give me where its right to call someone a name, end of story.

I reworded my post to not include the person

Archived