About the unbreakable gathering tools...

GW Noob.6038

@ArenaNet Boy, you guys sure are proud of your Unbreakable Gathering tools...you're trying to charge twice what they're worth!! I see that there's a slot in these tools for special Glyphs to improve their performance...the problem is they aren't available anywhere in the game, at least not in the game that I'm playing. Drop the price to half and I'll buy them...otherwise I'll just continue using the in-game versions.

The base price of the tools has been the same since they were introduced, 1000 gems. The did not have that slot for many years. Then they added a slot, which can (but does not have to) be filled. The value of the tools did not decrease when they got that additional slot, so the price also did not decrease, They cost and are worth the same today as several years ago.

1. Yes, because a tool that completely avoids a gold sink and has a real impact on the in-game economy should totally be handed out like candy on Halloween.
  2. There are tool merchants in every major town that sell tools that do the exact same thing as the runes/glyphs.
  3. Extortion ain't gonna work here. You aren't entitled to anything. Anet isn't going to be hurt by one entitled gamer.

Edit:Then what you want is irrelevant if you don't even want to dedicate any long time to the game. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

@GW Noob.6038 said:

@"sorudo.9054" said:in the long run they are worth it, especially when you're doing max crafting all craft professions.

By "in the long run" you mean 3-4 years? I'm not going to be playing this game for that long...I'll be playing for about a year, possibly a year and a half.

@GW Noob.6038 said:@ArenaNet Boy, you guys sure are proud of your Unbreakable Gathering tools...you're trying to charge twice what they're worth!! I see that there's a slot in these tools for special Glyphs to improve their performance...the problem is they aren't available anywhere in the game, at least not in the game that I'm playing. Drop the price to half and I'll buy them...otherwise I'll just continue using the in-game versions.

Worth here is subjective. Obviously based on your statement they are not "worth" it to you.

Your arrogance is getting in the way though of actual fact here.

the fact is you don't set prices or dictate what is fair to others.

Your recourse is not to buy them and you have indicated that you are not going to. So there is no problem here that needs solving.

Money must be made to keep this game running. You can choose to support the game either through gold earning and conversion which in the long run costs you time only or pay money.

Do you have any actual reasons other than what you have listed that might be valid business case reasons they should lower the price?

These items are perks not necessary to actually play the game. You have a course of action and I suggest you take the option you already indicated.

Just search "glyph" and reverse the price since it will show you the cheap "glyphic" stuff first. you can do a "glyph bounty" for glyph of bounty for instance as well...

Also those with their own glyphs like volatile and unbound are frequently on sale. I find volatile to have the greatest value on pick and axe personally and have bounty on sickle.

It is a matter of perception, really. You do not think they have enough value for you to buy at that price? Great, use karma to get whatever effect you need. Just know that your karma will gain a bit of value during wintersday.

You decide getting volatile magic during your 300+ strikes a day is good value for the gems? Get the kitten volatile tools :P

You cannot objectively say they are expensive. It is a matter of perception and since people buy MULTIPLES of those tools or buying them actually increases the sale of shared inventory slots, your stance seem to be statistically small enough for Anet to consider a price change.

Cheers!

@GW Noob.6038 said:

@"sorudo.9054" said:in the long run they are worth it, especially when you're doing max crafting all craft professions.

By "in the long run" you mean 3-4 years? I'm not going to be playing this game for that long...I'll be playing for about a year, possibly a year and a half.

then why complain when you're not even gonna play that long?

Glyphs are actually in fact, a solution to a problem that caused Anet some severe backlash many years ago.I am sure this was something they had been brainstorming ever since the Watchwork Pickaxe debacle and any set with 'bonuses' thereafter.Rather than releasing single pickaxes that were superior to their counterparts in functionality and angering customers who bought the others, they developed this new system instead.Glyphs are obtainable a few ways;-Specific Tools themselves come with them upon purchase-Black Lion Chests (With rotating types)-Trading Post, with some ranging as low as 20g

Glyphs are surprisingly more QOL than the previous iterations of them given that they can now be applied to ANY tool, not bound to a specific one. So even tools that previously lacked glyphs on purchase can make use of one's obtained through other means.

Secondly, Glyphs are not solely for unlimited tools, you can use them even on temporary/consumable gathering tools repeatedly without losing the effect ever.ANDIf you STILL don't feel like shelling out coin for permanent glyphs, there's Karma merchants that sell just about every known tool with every known glyph effect for consumable use for a decent conversion IMO.

It's not like Anet didn't think things through and didn't give VERY generous ways to benefit from glyph effects for both paying customers and non-paying ones.

For me it's not all about the benefits. The convenience of never having to buy tools and never having to carry extras all the time is well worth the investment.

I even equipped my alt accounts with glyphs (1 toon only) for use on their normal tools for extra leather and sprockets. Sprockets sell well, and have some good recipes. Just their harvesting Home and Guild adds up to gold funneled into the main account.

@"DeanBB.4268" said:For me it's not all about the benefits. The convenience of never having to buy tools and never having to carry extras all the time is well worth the investment.

That convenience ends if you play more than one character. That has been what's held me back from every buying them, since on some days I'm out farming on one character, while on another I'm doing map completion on an alt. And playing musical tools isn't an option. Can't tell you how many times a guildy has remarked over TS "dang, my tools are on another character"

Archived