Do you pre-block players? and why? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Do you pre-block players? and why?

Xtinct.7031Xtinct.7031 Member ✭✭

Do you find yourself blocking players after losing to them in a fight out in wvw? What is your logic in doing such a thing, I mean, blocking them will not safe guard you from another attack and defeat, so why do so?

<1

Comments

• DemonSeed.3528DemonSeed.3528 Member ✭✭✭✭

It's possible they just don't want to be further taunted though messages, just a guess. It's really their choice for blocking though, it isn't hurting anyone.

• @DemonSeed.3528 said:
    It's possible they just don't want to be further taunted though messages, just a guess. It's really their choice for blocking though, it isn't hurting anyone.

i get that, but what is the point if no messages were ever sent. Just seems illogical.

• I don't block anyone, even those that send salty whispers after I kill them, I just ignore. Only people I block are the trolls who spam team chat

• Hot Boy.7138Hot Boy.7138 Member ✭✭✭

I block any player being nasty to anyone on the team, whether it be to me or anyone else. Idk if this counts as a pre block, but i'll block people on the other team being nasty to their own team if i witness it in chat or in any other form. I really look down on people who attack their own team. So i block them instantly

• Pterikdactyl.7630Pterikdactyl.7630 Member ✭✭✭✭

I have zero people on my block list but I frequently block people to see who they are, and on occasion I'll forget to take them off.

• @Pterikdactyl.7630 said:
    I have zero people on my block list but I frequently block people to see who they are, and on occasion I'll forget to take them off.

That does make some sense to me, because it could be possibly someone you used to play with on another server that you may recognize.

• Ubi.4136Ubi.4136 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Xtinct.7031 said:

@DemonSeed.3528 said:

i get that, but what is the point if no messages were ever sent. Just seems illogical.

I will temporarily block a player if something about how I died seems...ridiculously off. Like, seeing a player on the cliff opposite Overlook Keep and they then instantly teleport 5k+ to me and engage me. I do that for the account name so that after I review the video I have something to send in if it was truly "outside the box" game play. Like the flying golem guy a couple months back, who told me to L2P after he flew a golem in to Bravost. I have also blocked a few people (usually just for an hour or so) if it is a guild I know regularly trash talks in tells after they stomp you 5v1 and claim you need to "get gud", even though that player isn't talking trash I already expect the behavior from that guild. I can imagine a number of reasons why other players might, but I like to keep my block list at 0 names. I don't even have the regular TC trolls blocked.

Carnished Toast (Yum)
    Lost in the Maguuma (TC)

• we have a channel in our discord to store all angry_whispers that are sent to us by others. It's a nice collection so it does not make sense to block anyone.

Feanor Nerwen [TRBO] - SBI

• Blocki.4931Blocki.4931 Member ✭✭✭✭

No, I only block obnoxious people in WvW that play on my team. That and beggars.

Logging out forever.

• you said you didnt sent messages before. so there is a chance he didnt block you because of the fight but (long) before. i did block a lot of people because of map chat or pvp.

• I used to be nice and post a friendly PSA at the start of each link reminding people to unblock people they may be paired with, until someone said they're blocked for a reason, they were right.

[HaHa] Hazardous Hallucination - Sorrows Furnace

• Jeknar.6184Jeknar.6184 Member ✭✭✭✭

Block people and lose my daily dose of Salt being sent my way? NEVER!

The only people in my block lists are gold sellers (Most problably long gone) and one certain dude that went crazy (literally) and I simply couldn't stand him bothering me all the time.

Ferguson's Crossing Mithril Raider (Rank 4444) - PvP Phoenix (Rank 72) - 29k Achievment Points
    Calamis Fatima / Kawagima / Hanna Flintlocke / Sabetha Deadeye

• SkyShroud.2865SkyShroud.2865 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2018

Preblock, I don't think that is a thing or ever is a thing, are you sure you didn't behave in a way at some chats, to the point of being blocked ?

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International PvX Guild
    Henge of Denravi Server
    www.gw2time.com

--

Explanations of WvW Structures & Populations Issues

• Zephyra.4709Zephyra.4709 Member ✭✭✭

Haha no that seems... trivial? No offense. It's WvW - the wonderful land of salty whispers. Some are genuinely amusing to read.

Only time I've ever blocked someone in WvW was to find out acc name; issue hacker report (or to find acc name of a friend on another server), then that one time some nutter was preaching in team chat about politics/religion... no amount of condi cleanse was gonna clear the burns spreading in chat that day. Wew.

• MUDse.7623MUDse.7623 Member ✭✭✭✭

why would i block someone that has defeated me ? i only once ever recieved a message from someone that participated in killing me. the only reason i would block you in such a situation is if i want to return the favor and want to utilize the information on the blocklist to see if you are still in WvW (with linked maybe even on wich border) and on wich character you are but for that you would have to make me salty first, just killing me is not enough for that.

read this, become a better player now.

• LetoII.3782LetoII.3782 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Xtinct.7031 said:
    Do you find yourself blocking players after losing to them in a fight out in wvw? What is your logic in doing such a thing, I mean, blocking them will not safe guard you from another attack and defeat, so why do so?

What is this losing and defeat of which you speak?

[HUNT] the predatory instinct

• Widmo.3186Widmo.3186 Member ✭✭✭

Preblock? Never, actually maybe once or twice when i knew who this guy is and was 100% that after losing to me he will talk trash so i preblocked him and he got even more furious because of that.
    Usually i dont block salty people (collection of swears grows bigger everyday), but i do block delusional people, for example condi mirage that loses multiple times and then says your build is trash while his needs much skill to be played. Ego of some peeps has height of a mountain.

Dont mind me, I just randomly spam 35 skill-buttons

• bigo.9037bigo.9037 Member ✭✭✭

as many people have accused OP of wanting to talk to said person.. while you are probably right, in OPs defense, lots of people also preblock you, then they salt whisper you. this has happened to me many times in wvw.

• Dante.1763Dante.1763 Member ✭✭✭✭

Ill only do it if they start acting like children after theyve won(jumping on corpse etc). But in the time ive been doing wvw lately ive never had any whispers sent my way.

Ember Wandertooth(SB), Lucina Fallenflame(Weaver), Kianda Redpaw(Guardian), Kingslayer, Light in the Dark.
    Why Guild Wars is called Guild Wars

• The only Thing that really bugs me is those People who spamm me with insults and other crp but Keep me blocked to prevent me from answering..

i mean .. if ur that scared of an reaction just Keep ur mouth shut

• DemonSeed.3528DemonSeed.3528 Member ✭✭✭✭

@norbes.3620 said:
    The only Thing that really bugs me is those People who spamm me with insults and other crp but Keep me blocked to prevent me from answering..

i mean .. if ur that scared of an reaction just Keep ur mouth shut

This is basically how in their universe that it counts as their "win".

• O dear God, if only. Don't let these people whisper me, ANet. Every time it's the same: "you don't play WvW the way I WANT IT TO BE PLAYED! What is your kitten problem?" No problem, Pal. You as an individual do not matter to me one bit. Why on earth should you? I made the mistake of engaging the last one in conversation...never again. This guy was so low-vibration that I felt myself developing an afinity for climbing trees and picking nits off my team-mates. Win or lose, please shut up you kitten!

• I label all my blockees with server (if applicable) and their offense.

I have a standard list of GS's (labeled 1-10, never got past 10), they are infinite blocks even though number 10 came more than 2 years ago.

I have a crazy, don't ever plan on unblocking.

I have someone that got a golem where they shouldn't have been able to, they are probably long term block.

I get tact pullers every now and then, and watch who shows after so I can label my tact puller's with their appropriate server. These guys usually stay for the duration of the link since their "server" will usually be back against us.

Lastly, I get people who catch me in the wrong mood, not everytime, but I sometimes block them just so I can hunt down throughout the week if I'm bored, they get removed when the week is up.

[HaHa] Hazardous Hallucination - Sorrows Furnace

• nope I just pretend im spanish or bad englando

• I just preblock every ganksquad member and every macro roamer I bump into.
    Saves me the mandatory trashtalk they spew.

• I sometimes block people to get their name (and unblock them right away) so I can whisper them, it often ends in a nice chat and in some occasions we also meet for PvE events. The only time I block players permanently is when they start acting childish after losing a duel, they get riled up and the hate speech starts, no point in reasoning with them :-)

• I have been known to block people that killed me. But only when they did something underhand like exploiting, ganking u semi-afk or while in another form like candy corn etc or after you waved at them. Normally I block them so If I see them again I know not to let them even cap a sentry without me attacking them. Like today someone did something they shouldn't have been able to (not going into details because we're not allowed to list exploits). But what they did helped them stop me take a tower which i was capping at the time. He managed to get up to me and contest while his group ran to help him. That guy was blocked ASAP and i see him again he's gonna get ganked time and time again. But then again I block a lot of people. When anet secretly reduced the blocklist numbers from unlimited to a set amount, I was still over the set blocklist amount meaning I couldn't block anyone else until after I'd removed ppl from my blocklist. That became impossible because opening up my blocklist crashed the client each time i tried. Support/Zendesk, in the end, had to remove 1000s of people from my blocklist for me one by one. I remember the support guy emailing me after letting me know he now has blisters on his fingers after spending 3 hrs removing people from my BL XD

Mez You Up/ NightHawk - Blackgate - WvW Diamond Legend on 3 Accounts. Haters I have many & I didn't even vote for Trump, SAD.

• @Jayden Reese.9542 said:
    I do. Any stealth class that kills me. I didn't at first but it's those that seem to msg you talking trash or crying when you win. Or the worst asking for 1 on 1s cause someone else showed up. Like go away. I kill and die 100s of times a week never care to talk to them.

Tbh it's usually necros or warriors that salty whisper me. Might be different since I always play thief.

Critical Kit, Deadeye.

• Mokk.2397Mokk.2397 Member ✭✭
    edited November 23, 2018

I don't know anything about pre blocking .Seems to be a wasted effort.As for blocking ,99% I have blocked are those annoying gold sellers.
    For all those that whisper insults or obnoxious taunts need to grow up .Nothing worse than dealing with an adult acting like a three yer old.

• Gop.8713Gop.8713 Member ✭✭✭

Never block anyone. Whispers only give you information about your enemy. They are invaluable . . .

• I had one guy who demanded my adress so he could beat me up IRL. Funny yet depressing.

Also quite a few players set their status to offline if they don't want to deal with wsps.

• Glider.5792Glider.5792 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2018

I did it few times, mainly cause i figured out when the toxic whispers will happen. One of the scenerios:

• One or both people are using some cheez/broken build
    • You end up wining the fight
    • Enemy person stay dead on the floor, and doesnt teleport away.

If the person stays there, i might just end up blocking, since ussualy people port away instantly. If he isnt doing that, he is most likely getting your name to whisper you.
    Oh and, as soon as i get a whisper i ussualy block if i realise that its a salty enemy.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeFWMeskOJhk8N-SvOFCJXA
    Fractal speed kills, raids, Black Lion Chest Openings, random.

• SpellOfIniquity.1780SpellOfIniquity.1780 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2018

No. However, if someone was particularly good, I do like to know who they are. So I'll often block to check their name/account name, unblock and take a mental note of it.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer, Revenant | Kaineng | Diamond Legend
    I'm not the only one, there is more of my kind. Stray from the path, leave the mass behind ... ♫

• whoknocks.4935whoknocks.4935 Member ✭✭✭✭

I never pre-block, but usually I find myself pre-blocked by guys never seen before who ganked me from 2 to 10vs1, maybe they know they are garbage gankers and don't wanna get insulted, maybe that's why they pre-block.

• Xtinct.7031Xtinct.7031 Member ✭✭
    edited November 25, 2018

Hey, for those of you that truthfully admitted do doing pre-blocking for what ever reason, thank you for being honest. It is a much wider practice than I had imagined.
    For the record, yes. I did make this post because over my 5+ years roaming in wvw I have encountered this practice many times, but my intent in contact isn't always to gloat or talk smack. Sometimes its just to ask a simple question like, what runes are you running on that build? Or your build could be better if you did this x, y and z.

I do not practice pre-blocking myself, but I have blocked players such as gold bots and that one guy that likes to talk smack before reblocking with every message. However, anyone talking smack is welcome and will not get blocked by me so as long as they keep the channel open both ways.

• Turk.5460Turk.5460 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 26, 2018

@Jeknar.6184 said:
    Block people and lose my daily dose of Salt being sent my way? NEVER!

The only people in my block lists are gold sellers (Most problably long gone) and one certain dude that went crazy (literally) and I simply couldn't stand him bothering me all the time.

Were you playing at night time? It's usually the Nocturnal players who are overwhelmed with Lunacy, right?

Fort Aspenwood
    Jekkies

<1
©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.