About those tool Glyphs...

GW Noob.6038

I bought the 'Herbalist' glyph and the 'Prospector' glyph today...now I have a decision to make: I have to choose between 'Leatherworker', 'Scavanger', or 'Unbound Magic'. My main is a lvl 28 Ranger, atm...I plan on doing Huntsman, Chef, and Weaponsmith crafting with her. On my future Necro, I plan on doing Tailoring, Jewelry, and Artificer...but that's a ways away. So, I want to know what you guys think...what would be the best choice for me at this point?

Of those three, I'd go with leatherworker. To be honest, if you are the sort of player who can and will do hours of mindless farming on occasion for gold, Istan volatile magic shipments are all the mats you'll need so I find volatile magic glyphs the most useful but if you prefer peaceful gathering, I'd think leatherworker would be nice as it would give you an option while doing lower level areas to get more valuable leather.

There is no "optimal" glyph in my opinion, depends solely on how you spend your time in game.

@"Shivvies.3921" said:Of those three, I'd go with leatherworker. To be honest, if you are the sort of player who can and will do hours of mindless farming on occasion for gold, Istan volatile magic shipments are all the mats you'll need so I find volatile magic glyphs the most useful but if you prefer peaceful gathering, I'd think leatherworker would be nice as it would give you an option while doing lower level areas to get more valuable leather.

There is no "optimal" glyph in my opinion, depends solely on how you spend your time in game.

I didn't see the Volatile Magic glyph on the TP...I'll look for it though. Thanks!

I second the voicing for the leather one if you can afford it.Leather is alot harder to come by than some of the other mats since you can really only get it from gear and select placesUnbound magic have karma versions of tools and I found that unless you farmed the maps with the currency, it didn't have much use anywhere else.

A couple of thoughts:

• Your choice of glyph today isn't permanent; you can move the glyphs around for free, as often as you like.
  • The choice of glyph will not make a big difference in the short run. Even non-stop gatherers (who do an hour of nothing but gathering without breaking a sweat) will need a weeks or even months before it matters.
  • The 'best' choice depends much more on player style and interests than on the specific utility.

So for example, I use glyph of industry while doing dailies or map completion. It speeds up gathering (a lot), so it means shorter delays, which means I'm more likely to gather. Without it, I often won't bother. I have a mat-bonus glyph for the 2-3 characters I have parked at gathering spots, where speed doesn't matter as much.

In contrast, my buddy just loves to gather. They hate missing on a single opportunity for some extra items. So they swap glyphs whenever either the market value for the bonus items change or their material storage is looking empty.

Since the OP's mileage will vary from either of those, I recommend that they swap around every couple of days, to see what starts to 'feel' right to them.

@"Talonblaze.3175" said:I second the voicing for the leather one if you can afford it.Leather is alot harder to come by than some of the other mats since you can really only get it from gear and select placesUnbound magic have karma versions of tools and I found that unless you farmed the maps with the currency, it didn't have much use anywhere else.

ALL glyphs have karma versions. Check here for a list of vendors.

@Shivvies.3921 said:

@"Talonblaze.3175" said:I second the voicing for the leather one if you can afford it.Leather is alot harder to come by than some of the other mats since you can really only get it from gear and select placesUnbound magic have karma versions of tools and I found that unless you farmed the maps with the currency, it didn't have much use anywhere else.

ALL glyphs have karma versions. Check
for a list of vendors.

Yeah, I mentioned that here as well; https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/750054/#Comment_750054But was more referring that the Unbound one's don't really have any use outside of the maps they come from, whereas most of the other glyphs do.So, its better to invest in the karma ones for when you are farming those maps and be done with them.

@Talonblaze.3175 said:

@Talonblaze.3175 said:I second the voicing for the leather one if you can afford it.Leather is alot harder to come by than some of the other mats since you can really only get it from gear and select placesUnbound magic have karma versions of tools and I found that unless you farmed the maps with the currency, it didn't have much use anywhere else.

ALL glyphs have karma versions. Check
for a list of vendors.

Yeah, I mentioned that here as well;
But was more referring that the Unbound one's don't really have any use outside of the maps they come from, whereas most of the other glyphs do.So, its better to invest in the karma ones for when you are farming those maps and be done with them.

How they do not have uses outside the maps? I constantly accumulate volatile magic and I just stop by Chalon Docks once in a while to get whatever shipment I require ...

Edit: although I agree unbound magic has a very limited use.

@Shivvies.3921 said:How they do not have uses outside the maps? I constantly accumulate volatile magic and I just stop by Chalon Docks once in a while to get whatever shipment I require ...Edit: although I agree unbound magic has a very limited use.

You can't use Unbound/Volatile Magic anywhere but the maps that take it; it can't be used for crafting, nor used on the trading post. It is solely for the rewards in those maps.Leather on the other hand...Could be a rather extensive list of uses.

I'm not saying V/UB magic is useless, more so saying that its limited use is often why I shy away from investing in permanency.

@Talonblaze.3175 said:

@Shivvies.3921 said:How they do not have uses outside the maps? I constantly accumulate volatile magic and I just stop by Chalon Docks once in a while to get whatever shipment I require ...Edit: although I agree unbound magic has a very limited use.

You can't use Unbound/Volatile Magic anywhere but the maps that take it; it can't be used for crafting, nor used on the trading post. It is solely for the rewards in those maps.Leather on the other hand...Could be a rather extensive list of uses.

I'm not saying V/UB magic is useless, more so saying that its limited use is often why I shy away from investing in permanency.

You are not aware of shipments then? Shipments are NOT map specific rewards. They do use volatile magic. They are the most lucrative chests you can buy in the game.

As long as shipments are in game at the same price, volatile magic will be one of the most lucrative currency income.

Compare with leather.

You get t5 leather whenever you do t5 gathering with leatherworker's glyph. So, if you want other leather, you have to go lower tier areas.

With volatile, you always get 3-9 volatile magic per node and every 250 volatile magic + 1 gold is about 2 gold worth of leather. Regardless of the area you are gathering.

AND you have the flexibility to go say, trophy shipment or cloth shipment, etc.

Edited to add: don't get me wrong, I understand "it can only be used in the map" can be a reason to not want permanence. I am just basing these post on your words "it can't be used for crafting, nor used on the trading post. It is solely for the rewards in those maps."

It is essentially a more flexible way of getting mats that is more random but with overall higher gold value.

@GW Noob.6038 said:I bought the 'Herbalist' glyph and the 'Prospector' glyph today...now I have a decision to make: I have to choose between 'Leatherworker', 'Scavanger', or 'Unbound Magic'. My main is a lvl 28 Ranger, atm...I plan on doing Huntsman, Chef, and Weaponsmith crafting with her. On my future Necro, I plan on doing Tailoring, Jewelry, and Artificer...but that's a ways away. So, I want to know what you guys think...what would be the best choice for me at this point?

You could always just use karma-bought tools for a while with the same effect to get a feel for it.

Edit: Bah, should probably read the whole thread before posting.

Archived