salvaging superior runes not working for new player

Gorkus.7496

I just wanted some clarification as I am newish to the game, I've been playing about 3 weeks now. So, I have these master's salvage kits that report they can salvage an upgrade 80% of the time. I am only using them when I have an upgrade I want to salvage, I use the basic kits for just about everything else. The thing is, I have used the master's kit 5 times now on items with superior runes in them, and each and every time, I lose the rune. The chances of failing 5 times in a row (at a 20% fail rate) is 1 in 3125, hence why I've come here to ask. The master's kits have worked when I first tried them out on a gem or jewel. So my question is: Do these kits only work on gems and jewels or am I just suffering from a case of really bad luck?

Thanks to all who reply!

@Gorkus.7496 said:I just wanted some clarification as I am newish to the game, I've been playing about 3 weeks now. So, I have these master's salvage kits that report they can salvage an upgrade 80% of the time. I am only using them when I have an upgrade I want to salvage, I use the basic kits for just about everything else. The thing is, I have used the master's kit 5 times now on items with superior runes in them, and each and every time, I lose the rune. The chances of failing 5 times in a row (at a 20% fail rate) is 1 in 3125, hence why I've come here to ask. The master's kits have worked when I first tried them out on a gem or jewel. So my question is: Do these kits only work on gems and jewels or am I just suffering from a case of really bad luck?

Thanks to all who reply!

Salvaging no longer returns a rune or sigil. Never. Instead, what happens is that when you salvage gear with an upgrade, and the upgrade drops, it is immediately salvaged for lucent motes and a chance to drop a charm (runes) or symbol (sigils).

So rephrasing:

• A master's kit has an 80% chance to return some lucent motes (with a possible bonus of a charm or symbol).
  • A basic kit has a 20% chance.

Roughly speaking, as a new player, I'd recommend that you stick to using basic kits for all your salvaging needs except for rares L68 and above (use a mystic or master's kit). Exotics should be (for now) sold on the TP when possible.

As you play longer, that rule of thumb will get more complicated and nuanced. For now, focus on enjoying the exploration and discovering new places, mechanics, etc. The game is only 'fresh' once; the Seven Habits of Highly Efficient Wealth Extraction will still be waiting for you in a few months.

(The only except is the BL Salvaging Kit, which always returns the upgrade. If you have tons of these, use them. If not, save them for very valuable upgrades.)

Archived