Housing in Guild Halls.

blade eyes.2034

Hello, I have been playing the game since launch and I'm happy to see this game grow and constantly changing. Now, I think Guild Halls are a wonderful addition even though it has a lot of problems, "mainly the decoration cap." People have been asking for housing since gw2 launched, and I too would love to finally see housing added to GW2. However, I don't think that housing should be in the home instant closed off the rest of the world, instead, I think that housing should be in the Guild Hall where it's more social. One question that might pop in your head, which popped in mine, which is what will happen to the house if a player leaves the Guild. I think the best way to solve that problem is to treat houses as a blueprint that's connected to the players account, so that if they leave the Guild Hall their home will be gone from set hall, but they'll have blueprint of it in their Hero menu to copy and paste into another Guild Hall that they're part of. Of course, from a technical standpoint, I can imagine none of this is easy to do, but nonetheless, I think it would be worth the consideration. Another problem that might occur is the Guild Hall size, more than likely they will need to be expanded on, so it may feel more like town/Village for the different Guild communities. If we at some point do get an actual housing system, a few things that I would love to see are 1. Having my alts hanging around my house when I'm playing on another character, and to be able to interact with them based on their unique personalities from my personal story/history of gameplay. 2. having my mounts with chosen skins also hanging out around the house. 3. the ability to visually display collections, achievements, and trophies in the house.

Now, I know this is probably not going to happen, but I thought to throw the idea out there anyway. Lastly, what happened to the Guild team developers? I think Guilds are really important in MMOs as they're a great way to meet people to do things with each other. However, why would anyone join a Guild when there is no unique content to access? I think Guild Missions are in need of new contents that are unique and challenging to keep Guilds alive in this game. seriously, they should be added more frequently like how the raid team and the fractal team keeps adding a new content every few months, I think that the Guild team should be doing something similar for Guilds. For example, I would love it, if Guilds can have the ability to activate epic map events like Dragon stand, even if it's only once weak to do with the Guild as a whole, I think this would be especially great for massive Guilds. Maybe even add challenging Guild dungeon for a massive number of people to do together etc.

Housing should be in Home instance and not the Guild halls for a few reasons.Housing is private but you can bring people into your home , while the guild hall is public and any one with decorating rights can screw with items.Decoration limit caps, imagine if a guild of 500 and all the players wanted their own housing in the guild hall ?

@starhunter.6015 said:Housing should be in Home instance and not the Guild halls for a few reasons.Housing is private but you can bring people into your home , while the guild hall is public and any one with decorating rights can screw with items.Decoration limit caps, imagine if a guild of 500 and all the players wanted their own housing in the guild hall ?

That's all avoidable by smart design.

There's bigger reasons thats never letting guild halls be more though. Guild Halls are (originally) HoT content, and Arenanet disbanded the Guild team.

@"starhunter.6015" said:Housing should be in Home instance and not the Guild halls for a few reasons.Housing is private but you can bring people into your home , while the guild hall is public and any one with decorating rights can screw with items.Decoration limit caps, imagine if a guild of 500 and all the players wanted their own housing in the guild hall ?

"while the guild hall is public and any one with decorating rights can screw with items"

1. That's a good point, but it can simply be fixed, just make the house editable only by the person who owns a house in a set place. Another additional suggestion, make new land that is specifically for the purpose of claiming spots to build homes in the guild hall.
  2. Yeah like I said in the post, Guild Halls need to be resized to fit more people if they do add housing into guild halls.
  3. MMOs are meant to be social, so it's best to have housing in the guild hall, instead of being private and cut off from the rest of the world/player base.Lastly, Decoration limit cap is indeed a problem that needs fixing even now, like why did they disband the guild team? It's like oh we made a guild team that'll work on improving the Guild experience, but a few months later they're simply dissolved. It's like they do not care about Guilds, just like World vs World. It's even worse because they had a team for it then they're like "nope."

@blade eyes.2034 said:

@"starhunter.6015" said:Housing should be in Home instance and not the Guild halls for a few reasons.Housing is private but you can bring people into your home , while the guild hall is public and any one with decorating rights can screw with items.Decoration limit caps, imagine if a guild of 500 and all the players wanted their own housing in the guild hall ?

"while the guild hall is public and any one with decorating rights can screw with items"
  1. That's a good point, but it can simply be fixed, just make the house editable only by the person who owns a house in a set place. Another additional suggestion, make new land that is specifically for the purpose of claiming spots to build homes in the guild hall.
  2. Yeah like I said in the post, Guild Halls need to be resized to fit more people if they do add housing into guild halls.
  3. MMOs are meant to be social, so it's best to have housing in the guild hall, instead of being private and cut off from the rest of the world/player base.Lastly, Decoration limit cap is indeed a problem that needs fixing even now, like why did they disband the guild team? It's like oh we made a guild team that'll work on improving the Guild experience, but a few months later they're simply dissolved. It's like they do not care about Guilds, just like World vs World. It's even worse because they had a team for it then they're like "nope."

I disagree with point 3. Housing is where I go when I don't want to be social. It's exactly that it's private that's appealing. Opening it up to others is an option, and it should be an option, not a "well, it's private, except for the 499 other people in the guild that can, and will show up at some point or another".

@robertthebard.8150 said:

I disagree with point 3. Housing is where I go when I don't want to be social. It's exactly that it's private that's appealing. Opening it up to others is an option, and it should be an option, not a "well, it's private, except for the 499 other people in the guild that can, and will show up at some point or another".

"I disagree with point 3. Housing is where I go when I don't want to be social."That's your opinion, but I hate this argument so much when it comes into MMOs. One big problem in MMOs is how they become anti-social. Like honestly, MMOs are meant to be social games not a single player game. In fact, if you don't want to be social I think you should just go ahead and play a single player game like Skyrim, Witcher 3, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild etc, RPG single player games are like 10 times better than any MMO in everything.

@Boysenberry.1869 said:If housing were implemented I'd much prefer it be in the Home Instance or a newly created housing instance. As someone who is guildless, putting housing inside a guild hall is just more content that is locked away.

I believe that Guild Halls are accessible even if you don't have the expansions. As for being guildless, having a house in the guild hall would be more reason for you to join a Guild, thus social instead of anti-social, which is again a big problem in MMOs.

I'm not sure how people who like keeping to themselves is a big problem for MMOs. Just as in life, if you like being around social people then there are plenty of social people in game to associate with. The people who don't want to socialize as much don't prevent anyone from playing or enjoying the game.

A home is a very personal thing. I would never just invite anyone over to visit me just because I may have a loose association with them. I would have to know them very well. This would work fine for a small close-knit guild but not for a large guild. Thus I'll have to agree with the people who want housing to be more private.

@blade eyes.2034 said:

@"Boysenberry.1869" said:If housing were implemented I'd much prefer it be in the Home Instance or a newly created housing instance. As someone who is guildless, putting housing inside a guild hall is just more content that is locked away.

I believe that Guild Halls are accessible even if you don't have the expansions. As for being guildless, having a house in the guild hall would be more reason for you to join a Guild, thus social instead of anti-social, which is again a big problem in MMOs.

Considering the nature of this MMO, having "homes" in a guild hall is something i disagree with. Im in 4 guilds, which would get the home, would i have a home in each? Thats not a home at all. If player housing becomes a thing(which i dont want), i hope its just allowing a ton of customization of the home instances in cities, or some other Personal PRIVATE instance, as a real home is.

@blade eyes.2034 said:

"I disagree with point 3. Housing is where I go when I don't want to be social."That's your opinion, but I hate this argument so much when it comes into MMOs. One big problem in MMOs is how they become anti-social. Like honestly, MMOs are meant to be social games not a single player game. In fact, if you don't want to be social I think you should just go ahead and play a single player game like Skyrim, Witcher 3, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild etc, RPG single player games are like 10 times better than any MMO in everything.

Here's a better idea: Tend to your own business about why people log into MMOs.

@blade eyes.2034 said:

@Boysenberry.1869 said:If housing were implemented I'd much prefer it be in the Home Instance or a newly created housing instance. As someone who is guildless, putting housing inside a guild hall is just more content that is locked away.

i have a big reason not to join a guild, i don't play with strangers.i must know them personally, if not then it's a no go.

so everyone who said that housing should be in the home instance are absolutely right, that's why it's a home instance.

People play MMOs for different reasons, but MMOs by their nature should encourage socializing, and that's why it would be better to have housing in Guild Halls. Take for example another RPG MMO, Black Desert online, this game is so anti-social, it's more like a bad single player game, everyone is just playing on their own and hardly anyone is interacting with each other. I'm just simply pointing out that MMOs should be by design always focus on the social element, and having housing in Guild Hall would be a great way to do that.

Now, someone pointed out that they don't like playing with a bunch of strangers, instead, they would rather play with close friends, people who they know. I 100% agree with that, and not every guild out there is 500 member guild, there are many guilds created by small group of friends, it's not hard to start a guild.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter, I'm just frustrated with Arena-net and their lack of care toward guilds in this game, but again I applaud them for finally introducing the alliance system, which is good for both wvw and guilds overall.

@"blade eyes.2034" said:

People play MMOs for different reasons, but MMOs by their nature should encourage socializing, and that's why it would be better to have housing in Guild Halls. Take for example another RPG MMO, Black Desert online, this game is so anti-social, it's more like a bad single player game, everyone is just playing on their own and hardly anyone is interacting with each other. I'm just simply pointing out that MMOs should be by design always focus on the social element, and having housing in Guild Hall would be a great way to do that.

Now, someone pointed out that they don't like playing with a bunch of strangers, instead, they would rather play with close friends, people who they know. I 100% agree with that, and not every guild out there is 500 member guild, there are many guilds created by small group of friends, it's not hard to start a guild.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter, I'm just frustrated with Arena-net and their lack of care toward guilds in this game, but again I applaud them for finally introducing the alliance system, which is good for both wvw and guilds overall.

I've looked at BDO a few times, but haven't gotten around to trying it out. I have, however, played a ton of other MMOs, from an old Korean Grinder called Rappelz, to ESO, to swtor, and others. I have no problems, most days, interacting with the community. Last weekend I accepted a random party invite, something I almost never do as a matter of principle, unless I'm at a big group event, like a WB or the dragons, and spent a few hours running a brand new, still downloading the game player around.

But I have chronic migraines, and there are days where I don't want flashy lights, but do want to chat with my friends. The only people on my Face Book feed that aren't immediate or extended family, are friends that I've made over the years playing MMOs. They are literally scattered all over the world, from the US, where I'm from, to New Zealand. This gives me the opportunity to "get out of my own head", w/out requiring me to make my situation worse with all the flashy graphics. I can kick it in my little corner of the world, and be connected with friends, or at least friendly people. We don't have to be in the same room to chat, that's what guild chat, and voice chat are for, and it's a whole lot healthier for me than sitting in my recliner, wondering if the suggestion I got of drilling a tiny hole in my head would really cure those migraines.

I'm looking at the guild halls and try to figure where you could fit 100+ "houses". A simple expansion of the hall isn't enough, the guild halls will need to have at least 20 times more size to fit enough houses, unless by house inside the guild hall you mean a tiny hut. Further, the design of the guild halls doesn't support "houses" placed around, that would mostly be annoying for anyone trying to move around to reach the npcs.

Housing = a personal/private instance, an upgrade of the home instance is more likely. Stay away of guild halls.

It's a new idea that I never took in consideration (so I enjoyed the reading) but I still prefer single instanced houses.

• First of all, as others also pointed out, for very big guilds this might be a problem, since ArenaNet should basically add pieces of land (all the same in size) to the guild, and as new people join and leave, the guild hall will continuously change shape. Now imagine to teleport you to your guild hall and to look for your house out of 400 other houses. I'd take ages, unless you put a direct teleport (which would invalidate the point of a "social home instance").
  • You could save the design of your house as blueprint as you said, but what if you join a guild with a different guild hall? You would keep your furniture, but maybe it won't fit anymore with the piece of guild hall you'll get (desert/golden etc).

I think the point of the "social home" is more the wish to show off your/our houses (especially if you want to include achievements and mount skins). More like an Animal Crossing Happy Home Design than a place we can call home. In other MMOs with open world houses that I played, those maps where always a desert: people went there, gave a peep to their neighbors' house once, then they always stuck to their own house (and most of the time they forbade the entrance to strangers because they didn't want to risk to find someone inside when they came back home).We already have the guild hall as public area, it's fair to leave the home instance as private one (we can already invite other people, if we want, but they cannot enter like if it were an open market).

@"maddoctor.2738" said:I'm looking at the guild halls and try to figure where you could fit 100+ "houses". A simple expansion of the hall isn't enough, the guild halls will need to have at least 20 times more size to fit enough houses, unless by house inside the guild hall you mean a tiny hut. Further, the design of the guild halls doesn't support "houses" placed around, that would mostly be annoying for anyone trying to move around to reach the npcs.

Housing = a personal/private instance, an upgrade of the home instance is more likely. Stay away of guild halls.

You can easily place a 1000 TARDIS's in the guild hall. I dunno what youre talking about that it doesnt fit. :p

I can easily imagine a guild hall building with an (or multiple) elevator/portal/rift/asura gate or linking book teleport you to your house in the mists, home/house instance/biome/part of the city etc.

What I dont see happening is actually physically in the open world or guildhall correctly scaled houses. Not anywhere. I mean, its ofcourse also possible, just unlikely.

Whether the housing system is or isnt linked to guilds I have no preference, though. I wouldnt mind using some guild team work to help guildies achieve their (housing) goals. And otherwise I guess itll be a mostly solo experience. Either works.

Housing would have to be in a separate instance for every player. However, the question is, should the portal be connected to your home instance or the guild hall?

I personally prefer guild hall.

1. Easier transition for visiting others guidies houses.
  2. Gives another reason to visit the guild hall
  3. Helps form a sense of community (You feel like your guild is living in the same place instead of spread out throughout Tyria).
  4. If they do develop 'events' you can do in your home with others, it is more convenient for others to join.
  5. And yes, I'm sure they could make it so you give permission before other people or guild members can enter your instance (It would function the same as the home instance).

Archived