Please remove desert borderlands

Timelord.8190

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I disliked the red bl at first. Took me a bit to learn it and now it’s my fav. Most fun to roam on as well for me. Also, openers opinion of defenders advantage- not always. Our server links and some of our own tags hate it so much that when we are red, the won’t defend and let it go to hell.

I wish they would get rid of one of the alpine and replace as well. The variety would be fun.

No mather how you look at it. It's the worst border land, since it is the least played one. It's not much oriented around fair battles. The death numbers is proof of that.

Other borders brings way more battles/loot, duo to the shorter travel distance and more fair terrain.

Red BL has only 6598 total deathsEB got 24387 total deathsBlue BL has 15634 total deathsGreen BL has 15517 total deaths

https://wvwintel.com/#2007

@"Zero.3871" said:

everyone get something he want.

Not if there is a que. https://imgur.com/oKbDznU

@TyPin.9860 said:I also like the dessert bl most to roam. Actually the symmetry of the alpine border lands was always a bit off-putting for me. I simply like the immersion of the dessert bl. And as a roamer I am definitely not measuring the quality of a map based upon loot^^I base quality on how many players there are. The number of deaths is also an indication of how many players there are on the borders, but it's not a sure way to estimate the numbers alone ofc. But after playing this game mode alot i tend to see there is ques on every other border exept DBL.

I seem to find that most wvers before DBL have an overly formed distaste for DBL during and after its implementation. As I came later, it was not a newer experience. I then seem to find that players who came later really have no issue with desert borderlands. I personally love it, and would be quite angered if it was removed.

I can see, however, its quantitative difference to the alpine BL in terms of distance, shrines, lord difficulty, terrain impasses, certain defensive advantages. If your goal is absolute quality of battlefield tactics, then the only fair choice is to alternate each week having all BLs be the same type. So if it's desert BL week, they all are DBLs. If it is ____ DBL, then that is what it will be for the week. That way they could even introduce new BLs. I'm actually kind of bored of the alpine. It's textures are from last century and shows its date in terms of the overall game development.

@Justine.6351 said:

@LaGranse.8652 said:Personally I think it would be cool if they replaced the green alpine boarder with a jungle themed map. Then we would have desert vs alpine vs jungle.

A jungle map would be horrible with all the camera issues.I still think a tropical sandy beaches map would be cool, with island hopping maybe?

Maybe more underwater fights XD

@Timelord.8190 said:

@TyPin.9860 said:I also like the dessert bl most to roam. Actually the symmetry of the alpine border lands was always a bit off-putting for me. I simply like the immersion of the dessert bl. And as a roamer I am definitely not measuring the quality of a map based upon loot^^I base quality on how many players there are. The number of deaths is also an indication of how many players there are on the borders, but it's not a sure way to estimate the numbers alone ofc. But after playing this game mode alot i tend to see there is ques on every other border exept DBL.

That is what I see too. And personally I like it, because I know there's always a bl for me to play on. You make still a valid point though from a broader perspective. However, instead of removing those borderlands, I would argue it would be more healthy for the game to add a 3rd borderland, that is more symmetrical and favors more zerg fighting (this is, what I believe, what the majority of players are doing). This would simply serve to give WvW more flavor and, if made well, might also lead to different compositions, builds and tactics based upon the map layout. (this all comes from the optimist inside me, who, after being slaughtered by the same 2 rangers over and over again today became a bit quite and is just now resurfacing^^)

IMHO ideally, and with regards to the upcoming alliance system, a 3 way BL setup might be very good to accommodate a bl favored for roamers, one favored for objective oriented zerg fighting and one favored for open field GvG fights.

Personally I like the desert border for low numbers and less zerging, more roaming. It's big enough that you can often get a sneaky capture of a tower or a keep with 2 people if the enemy is otherwise occupied.

Having said that I do think it's too big for most people. The distance between objectives is too high for them to play any real strategic importance. That's what I think it misses because while most don't actively think of the strategic importance of taking towers and keeps or the relationship they have with each other we all know "If I take one of the top towers I can treb the keep if needed".

I'm not sure what you could do about the desert border though, you'd probably need a very big redesign to make everything a bit closer together and get rid of these cliffs that 90% of the player base can't seem to negotiate with as they much prefer the flatter alpine. It's certainly the last border to get a queue on my server, probably not for those more PPT focused servers but they like to have people sitting in towers 24/7 ready to man the siege and heroically chase away any roamers with 10 of their friends.

Edit: I'd favour a redesign over removal as I think it adds variety.

I always find it a bit amusing when I see players complaining about the desert BL. Personally, it's one of my favorites. As for the size of the map, once you've learned all the ins and outs of the maps and the numerous short-cuts, I've found that I can go from the north of the map to the south of the map (and vice-versa) quicker than I can on the Alpine BLs. I think the real issue here are too many lazy players. It was a new map with a lot of variation (which Alpine BL is SORELY lacking!!) and they simply didn't want to put forth any effort to learning the map. It's honestly not much different than when wholesale changes are made to the classes which necessitate changes to fighting-styles and tactics in this game. 10% of the players will start working on new ways to win, and the other 90% will just complain because they actually have to work on new builds/tactics and are simply too lazy to do so.

The problem here isn't having a Desert Borderlands, it's not having a Jungle borderlands, and alpine not having those sweet monuments that give speed bonuses and allow allies to jump quickly to the other side of keeps.

Ideally, after alliances are done, each player would have a way to vote for the map they want for their world, like how people can get a different guild hall.
The next WvW, when worlds are compiled, alliances, guilds and individual players would be more likely to be sent to a world that has their desired borderlands.

Archived