Condi thief in PVP

Jack Redline.5379

Is anyone still running those? I play mainly PvP these days and very rarelly I get to fight a real good condi thief. Most of u guys run power so i am asking wheather I am really not just the last of my kind there. Not to mention i run Trapper but i am talking Condi thief in general here.Many ppl say it is dead so i wanna see how many of you think otherwise and still stick to it

Condition thief is a very niche build if I'm being completely honest. Sure you might down a player while their cleanses are not available, but considering that condition damage was nerfed not to long ago, but not the cleansing, it has made pretty much every condition thief build underwhelming and not so viable. It's even worse with specializations like firebrand and their absurd amount of cleansing.

@Hoodie.1045 said:Condition thief is a very niche build if I'm being completely honest. Sure you might down a player while their cleanses are not available, but considering that condition damage was nerfed not to long ago, but not the cleansing, it has made pretty much every condition thief build underwhelming and not so viable. It's even worse with specializations like firebrand and their absurd amount of cleansing.

yes I agree it is very hard to to kill some classes. Sometimes even imposible and then i have to retreat. But the fact the condi isnt so viable ppl went more into toughness and power based builds. Which leaves still a good chance for a condi to deal a lot of damage. Majority of ppl i deal with dont expect that which gives an advantage also if i meet someone i fought already before i can simply outlive him on the point till the help comes or until he dies.

Issue with condi thief is that it lacks cover condi to allow your damage to tick long enough to kill people since most classes basically poop condi removal. Traps gaining damage really hurt trapper runes too so that style is much harder to pull off. Some can make it work but most of the time it ends up just being a gimmick that you could accomplish better on another setup.

@Ario.8964 said:Issue with condi thief is that it lacks cover condi to allow your damage to tick long enough to kill people since most classes basically poop condi removal. Traps gaining damage really hurt trapper runes too so that style is much harder to pull off. Some can make it work but most of the time it ends up just being a gimmick that you could accomplish better on another setup.

As hard as it is to admit this you are right. It is rly hard. And i hope with next espec we will get something that can boost our condi finally

@Ario.8964 said:Issue with condi thief is that it lacks cover condi to allow your damage to tick long enough to kill people since most classes basically poop condi removal. Traps gaining damage really hurt trapper runes too so that style is much harder to pull off. Some can make it work but most of the time it ends up just being a gimmick that you could accomplish better on another setup.

Depends on build. Thief has ready access to torment bleed and poison as damaging with some confusion and access to cripple, weakness , immob and vuln for covers. Needle trap is still fine but works better with the on heal version . P/d condition has more cover condition access then D/D condition.

That said there no doubt all of the sigil and rune changes have added to the removal but while I do not PvP I suspect there fewer condition builds overall in that mode and people will drop these sigils/runes in due course. Overall Condition build thief tends to be easier to neutralize then power thief but it can still be an effective build.

@babazhook.6805 said:

Depends on build. Thief has ready access to torment bleed and poison as damaging with some confusion and access to cripple, weakness , immob and vuln for covers. Needle trap is still fine but works better with the on heal version . P/d condition has more cover condition access then D/D condition.

That said there no doubt all of the sigil and rune changes have added to the removal but while I do not PvP I suspect there fewer condition builds overall in that mode and people will drop these sigils/runes in due course. Overall Condition build thief tends to be easier to neutralize then power thief but it can still be an effective build.

As far as condi goes in pvp, scourge and mirage are the only ones consistently using it but the level they use it at is borderline broken so I don't see removal dropping from any meta builds soon. If mirage and scourge are nerfed at all, then I think you may be right about people dropping some removal.

• 4 weeks later...

d/d trap condi thief is the way to go at the moment. you can pretty much instapop anybody including scourge, guard and ele. learn the mechanics and the burst. once you have it down. nobody and I mean NOBODY will be able to beat you in a 1v1 fight. doesn't matter how much cleanse they have.

@rowdy.5107 said:d/d trap condi thief is the way to go at the moment. you can pretty much instapop anybody including scourge, guard and ele. learn the mechanics and the burst. once you have it down. nobody and I mean NOBODY will be able to beat you in a 1v1 fight. doesn't matter how much cleanse they have.

finally someone understood itwhat do you run?

• 2 weeks later...

@Jack Redline.5379 said:

@rowdy.5107 said:d/d trap condi thief is the way to go at the moment. you can pretty much instapop anybody including scourge, guard and ele. learn the mechanics and the burst. once you have it down. nobody and I mean NOBODY will be able to beat you in a 1v1 fight. doesn't matter how much cleanse they have.

finally someone understood itwhat do you run?

In steps a menders ele and laughs at your petty condi :)

@babazhook.6805 said:

I agree with the first half--thief actually has some of the better breadth of conditions of all classes, and without extensive cleansing it's an extremely hard class to beat strictly due to how good its condi bomb is and how capable it is of loading up a huge number of cover conditions in its early burst--but I don't think people will be removing their cleanses anytime soon because of things like the Scourge which if not very heavily built against can fairly easily 1v3 and keep a whole team on its knees with its control condition spam.

Generally speaking I think there are a couple of important things to emphasize when it comes to condi thief.

• Different condi builds generally perform different roles from traditional power only thieves.
  • All condi thieves are excellent bunker busters. This is because most bunkers rely to an extent on healing and condi thief applies poison is various ways depending on build. This means when a bunker is trying to handle both power damage and condi from the thief there will be a point where they can no longer sustain themselves. (Case in point back when bunker rev was a thing my less than adequate DPS team told me to ignore the rev and focus on rotating, but I ended up eliminating the bunker rev solo because I knew I could hurt him much more than he could heal).
  • Traditional condi thief (D/D) is an excellent side node option where the evades and constant condi sustain can let them hold on a node while applying pressure. Worst case the node is stalled and best case the enemy loses.
  • Non traditional condi thief (P/D) excells at both at +1 and team fighting through immobilize and cripple (combined with decent damage). Deadeye version also comes with plenty of hard CC and AoE might application. Goal is helping team to hit enemies and also quickly targeting problematic oppponents with high DPS to protect allies. Keep the enemy Reaper away from your allies. Focus the enemy Deadeye. Lockdown the Soulbeast.

That said, I do want to emphasize that condi thief struggles in a meta where condi cleanse is easy to come by. You need to be able to contribute damage against all opponents even if the condi isn’t effective. That’s why I now run Wizards amulet hybrid with thief Runes. I still get the HP to survive well enough but I also have power and precision so I can do reasonable damage even without the condi.

Archived