Why do you attack me when you know your gonna die.

Dilligaf Wyt.1867

No this isn't a post about how great I am. I am honestly curious as to why you would attack me in a group when you know that the rest of the players will stomp you.

This scenario happened frequently over the weekend. A camp is about to wind down its RI and about 8 roamers show up to cap it. While waiting for the camp to flip I am standing in the middle of camp and some random dude just attacks me. I pop my signet to prevent any damage, heal and dodge out of there. I turn around to see the other 7 pugs stomping him into the floor. It wasn't like he couldn't see the other players, they weren't stealthed or hiding behind buildings. You could easily see there was at least 5 others around me.

Now this didn't just happen once but through out the weekend. I just assume it is because I am a ranger and they see a free bag. But is it really worth it to try for the bag knowing the other 7 or so pugs standing around are going to stomp you. Also wouldn't the first time getting stomped register that trying that same tactic again is futile.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I see this too (not from ranger perspective, just in general). If you did go full down, the rest of your party would simply revive you anyway so I also don't see the value in it.

Sometimes though it is a strategy to distract the larger team so a smaller team can charge in and take advantage. That's pretty rare though.

To quote Jasper Carrot; What do two solid white lines in the middle of the road mean?

A challenge.

But yeah, I attack larger groups because while getting stomped is a possibility, the times where it works and you kill a group by yourself more than make up for it. That, and players on some servers just refuse point blank to 1v1, so sometimes it's the only way to get people to fight.

@Jugglemonkey.8741 said:To quote Jasper Carrot; What do two solid white lines in the middle of the road mean?

A challenge.

But yeah, I attack larger groups because while getting stomped is a possibility, the times where it works and you kill a group by yourself more than make up for it. That, and players on some servers just refuse point blank to 1v1, so sometimes it's the only way to get people to fight.

Then tactically shouldn't you attack the biggest threat first like the mirage or fighter.

@Shining One.1635 said:They could be trying to get a quick kill to get a 10-minute participation timer boost. I've done that a few times. I get the kill and then immediately die, but I now have 10 minutes again.

Okay this makes the most sense. But if you fail like they did they get no time. I guess desperate times call for desperate measures. I personally have done this but I like to think I am some what smart by targeting an outlier not the person right in the middle and most protected.

@Dilligaf Wyt.1867 said:

@Jugglemonkey.8741 said:To quote Jasper Carrot; What do two solid white lines in the middle of the road mean?

A challenge.

Then tactically shouldn't you attack the biggest threat first like the mirage or fighter.

its more their thread / time needed to kill them in outnumbered. a mirage can kite pretty long so if you dont kill them by suprise its often not a good first target and their damage usually comes in bursts so you can kite them better than a ranger. a 'fighter' i guess is a warrior, those are never the bigger threat. warriors are the easieast to kite profession out there and going for them first would take too long.oh and ranger is usually the greatest threat if left to freecast.

@Dilligaf Wyt.1867 said:Okay this makes the most sense. But if you fail like they did they get no time. I guess desperate times call for desperate measures. I personally have done this but I like to think I am some what smart by targeting an outlier not the person right in the middle and most protected.You're a ranger. I main ranger too. The most popular ranger builds are full or mostly glass, thus we tend to go down quickly, especially if we're not fully paying attention while waiting for a timer. Several other classes have downstate skills that can avoid the stomp long enough for the group to kill the attacker or resurrect the downed. You happened to be paying attention, so it didn't work on you.

@"Dilligaf Wyt.1867" said:No this isn't a post about how great I am. I am honestly curious as to why you would attack me in a group when you know that the rest of the players will stomp you.

This scenario happened frequently over the weekend. A camp is about to wind down its RI and about 8 roamers show up to cap it. While waiting for the camp to flip I am standing in the middle of camp and some random dude just attacks me. I pop my signet to prevent any damage, heal and dodge out of there. I turn around to see the other 7 pugs stomping him into the floor. It wasn't like he couldn't see the other players, they weren't stealthed or hiding behind buildings. You could easily see there was at least 5 others around me.

Now this didn't just happen once but through out the weekend. I just assume it is because I am a ranger and they see a free bag. But is it really worth it to try for the bag knowing the other 7 or so pugs standing around are going to stomp you. Also wouldn't the first time getting stomped register that trying that same tactic again is futile.

Some people underrate Rangers... especially soulbeasts.. they don't realize how nasty powerful we are. A person on my team watched me take down a camp (yes a little T1 camp) and the swords came up just before the cap was complete... all npc's down in a few seconds. He's like... wth? Yes, people don't realize what they're hitting a lot of the time... I especially like it when I pretend I can't see them as they "sneak up" on me... then BAM. ooo yaaa... I do die of course now and then... but more often than not I don't.. ;)

@RangerThings.9810 said:I wouldn't do this 1v8, but 1v4 I would target a Ranger or Thief to see if I can get a quick down, then kite a couple others (who don't know any better) and take them on.

I'm not looking for bags, I just want to have fun and take challenges where I see 'em. If you roam EBG it's easy enough to get back anywhere so YOLO.

I love it when people consider me a 'quick down' and target me in a group especially... because they usually die quickly. I hit as hard as full zerk and and tons of health to go along with it...

I recall doing something similar the other day, but it was against a group of 5 who were attacking the camp I was heading towards. Why did I do it? I needed to port back to spawn anyways as it's quicker than turning around and running towards another camp. It isn't as if repairs cost $$, and if I'm playing solo, I'm usually on a map with [Outnumbered] /shrug

I'm so bad for this. I'll harass the same player who has stomped me repeatedly or yolo a 1vX all the time. Why? Because my heart isn't attached to my in game health bar. I don't much care if I die or make a fool of myself. I just enjoy combat and taking chances. When it works out, it's a lot more memorable than when it doesn't.

That said, I don't have a death wish. I won't engage a larger group if I know all of them are enough of a challenge by themselves. As long as I know most/all of them I could kill relatively easily in a 1v1, I'll take my chances in a 1vX.

Situations like described in the OP though, even I don't quite understand those. Sometimes people nose dive 1v10, instantly die, and it's just like "what are you even doing?" So I don't have an answer for you there. Maybe they think they can get away with a kill before they get killed themselves, I have no clue. Personally I won't fight any more than 3 players at a time by myself unless I'm certain from past encounters that most/all of them aren't much more of a threat than NPC's.

From my perspective, I find the players that avoid risking their deaths to the best of their ability more strange than ones with no regard for it. Like I understand when logically, it's not worth engaging someone(s) but, more or less I'm talking about the players that avoid it at all costs. Those ones that will absolutely not 1v1 anyone unless they get the jump on them or will only ever fight within range of safety.

I have done this many times, often successfully, so maybe can help your perspective.

I run runes of speed with a near berserker opening to cleave down lots of unsuspecting roamers in groups, then flash back with wurm or walk and let my group (who is often far behind) surprise the mostly on cooldown free bags in the camp. It doesnt always work but can be a very powerful strategy to spoof unorganized and expectant of a camp capture players. I usually target scourges or soul beasts for the same reasons as written in other posts, and see them collapse like wet paper.

Without backup it would be foolhardy, however.

@Dilligaf Wyt.1867 said:This scenario happened frequently over the weekend. A camp is about to wind down its RI and about 8 roamers show up to cap it. While waiting for the camp to flip I am standing in the middle of camp and some random dude just attacks me.

Hmm... Let's see. You go to a camp and than got there attacked by 7 guys. You know that you can't escape, but you don't want to lay down and wait till they kill you. 1 other guy is standing around and isn't moving.

What did you expect the people to do? Attack the 7 one that attacking you or try your luck to kill the one that seem to be afk?

I do it all the time. I know if I tag every player in that group, put them in combat so they cannot port and we have incoming... free bags. I also get credit for the camp when it flips back after RI. There really isn't a downside outside of losing stacks. Heck I do it in a zerg all the time... Shadow Step in, tag half the zerg, step out, collect loot a few seconds later.

Besides good players get tired of 1v1 and 1v2 fights with scrubs. Hitting a group is a great challenge to work out rotational mechanics on some builds. There are a couple Tempest builds that can barrel into 5+ players and hold a circle for a minute plus which is more than enough time for reinforcements.

Sometimes while roaming on my own I engage small groups out of frustration at the lack of the other server's solo roamers. If I manage to down someone before getting murdered, I consider it a personal win. Rangers and thieves just happen to be two of the easier professions to 100->0 if they're not paying attention.There's certainly no strategic value, but its not like you're penalized for dying.

~ Kovu

I do this stuff all the time out of desperation for a fight...

WvW really isn't fun anymore for roamers, everyone is grouped up even just for simple stuff like camp and sentry flipping which means sometimes the only fight you're going to get is the ones where you can gank 1 player among a group and hope you can bail and get a gank on ones that stray too far chasing.

Sometimes I get desperate enough to bomb the enemy zergs alone, if I can down a group alone then that's a win to me, sometimes I can land the combo just right and ghet a kill or 2 before the zerg massacres me, again this is a win to me, and probably the best and most skillful fight I'm going to get all night.

Other times I just wait for the other 2 zergs to start fighting each other, when that happens I'll jump in and throw out all my AoE onto everyone, take my death and quick respawn and sit in keep watching the bags drop around me, maybe head back to the fight and skirt the outsides waiting for people to get a refresh or to bait people so thier zerg gets pushed then I help the other server clean up.

Archived