Obstructed... the most dangerous opponent for ranged builds.

Straegen.2938

I am all for using terrain for an advantage in combat but so many places in the world that appear flat produce obstructed results when firing at an opponent from range. It would be great if places particularly camps (Speldan, Dane and Rogues Quarry being the worst) were smoothed out or the algorithm that detects obstructed wasn't overly strict.

It might be impossible to fix every area on all of the maps where non-existent terrain is arbitrarily obstructing projectiles. I'm not sure about the programming involved, though I do know that this is more of an issue now than it used to be (for some reason).A potential "fix" might be tweaking all projectiles to travel slightly above their visual cue until contact, say 10~20 range, (practically nothing, most melee attacks are 100~) since the only possible obstruction in these situations is the ground.

I feel your pain, though.

~ Kovu

@geist.4126 said:I'd prefer they'd add more options to block line of sights. More trees, more rocks, etc.

Don't worry, there's hundreds of invisible blades of grass on every map already providing obstruction. Before they deliberately add more maybe they could make the existing ones neon pink or something so the people benefiting from them are aware.

@geist.4126 said:I'd prefer they'd add more options to block line of sights. More trees, more rocks, etc.Sure, let's make rotating the camera around continually so you can see what's happening even more fun. Honestly, have you ever fought someone in that group of trees below garrison next to the NE ruin? Its not fun for anyone.I can only assume that was a satirical shot at ranged builds/players.

~ Kovu

@Kovu.7560 said:

@geist.4126 said:I'd prefer they'd add more options to block line of sights. More trees, more rocks, etc.Sure, let's make rotating the camera around continually so you can see what's happening even
more
fun. Honestly, have you ever fought someone in that group of trees below garrison next to the NE ruin? Its not fun for anyone.I can only assume that was a satirical shot at ranged builds/players.

~ Kovu

I actually like fighting there because I know how to control my camera and I know there is a high chance my enemy does not. It's like a halfway stealth for my rev ;-).

@Jeknar.6184 said:I have issues with those all the time when playing with Rifle (Warrior, Engineer or Deadeye). But the hundreds of Rangers/Soulbeasts don't seen to have the same issue.

Rangers have the same problem but their big shot is channeled allowing them to adjust and let most of their big shot land. They still get obstructed on their knockback and the like just like all the other ranged players.

@Straegen.2938 said:I am all for using terrain for an advantage in combat but so many places in the world that appear flat produce obstructed results when firing at an opponent from range. It would be great if places particularly camps (Speldan, Dane and Rogues Quarry being the worst) were smoothed out or the algorithm that detects obstructed wasn't overly strict.

Pangloss also has this issue. Have gotten killed there more than a few times on my Ranger for the same reasons as the south east camp in the Borderlands. The area that this happens isn't quite as large as the ones you've mentioned, but it's definitely there. Some where near the boxes on the Ogrewatch side.

EDIT: In fact, since I've been recording a lot of pointless crap lately, I think I'll document these bugged areas and compile them in to a video to share here at some point.

@apharma.3741 said:Play mesmer with a greatsword, can't even attack an archer on the side of a tower :disappointed:

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@apharma.3741 said:Play mesmer with a greatsword, can't even attack an archer on the side of a tower :disappointed:

Same experience on Ranger. That 1" lip of stone or wood apparently protects the entire NPC. But I have to wonder if they fix that, would Eles be as in demand for siege?

If they give the rangers and necros and any ranged toon the ability to stand behind that 1” ledge and fire down, then you can have the ability to fire up...

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

Same experience on Ranger. That 1" lip of stone or wood apparently protects the entire NPC. But I have to wonder if they fix that, would Eles be as in demand for siege?

If they give the rangers and necros and any ranged toon the ability to stand behind that 1” ledge and fire down, then you can have the ability to fire up...

Rangers can't stand behind that ledge. You actually have to jump up onto it if you want to fire downwards. Necros I think can hit the ground with staff and maybe shades and wells, but I don't even try these days as you either get a rev hammer to the face, pulled by Mesmer, or bombed by wells, shades and marks lol.

I think I notice this most in camps. On my Mesmer I often cast, say, Confusing Images and it just...nope...OBSTRUCTED by...the air? Bizarre.

It also causes pathing issues for teleports at times. It would be nice if Anet did a bug parse for camps, towers and keeps in particular to see where this is occurring. I've taken screenshots and sent them as bug reports but I'm not really sure if that amounts to anything.

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

Rangers can't stand behind that ledge. You actually have to jump up onto it if you want to fire downwards. Necros I think can hit the ground with staff and maybe shades and wells, but I don't even try these days as you either get a rev hammer to the face, pulled by Mesmer, or bombed by wells, shades and marks lol.

I know those classes can’t. I guess that was my point. If the ones below are given the ability to hit over that 1” ledge with their projectiles, then the ones on the wall should be able to use their projectiles and fire down over that 1” ledge as well.

The only reason fireball (and to a lesser degree thief shortbow bounce) works is splash dmg.

Ele would likely still be needed for seige as the MS is an effective area hit, that also keeps players off the seige.

Archived