Varying Sound Levels, eg in Purifying Orr — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Varying Sound Levels, eg in Purifying Orr

I love the game's music and sound design/effects. Guess I'll jump in and start a question on it! Even if it is more of a tech support query:

What can I do to avoid losing volume on specific sounds? I've had this happen in a number of circumstances, most notably in the PS step where you fight the Eye and then hold off the Risen while Trahearne does his ritual, and the "Fear Not This Night" instrumental starts playing while almost everything else goes silent. Fortunately it came out full volume my first time through but since then 9 times out of 10 the music is almost inaudible, without me changing any settings. Sometimes it's been that Win10 has decided to reduce my volume on the game as a whole but usually there is no detectable reason for the sudden quiet, which affects only specific sets of sounds in a game session.

I recall that it also occurred more recently in Gorrik's trial in Amnoon, where one NPC's lines (the magistrate?) were loud and clear and everyone else was a distant mumble even if I stood by them and faced them, again on subsequent playthroughs rather than my first time in.

What might the game be doing under the hood to selectively muffle sound?

Tagged:

Comments

• Hi Donari5237, Keenan knows this system well, he is hard at work right now, so he asked me to relay the following "Sounds like the speaker setup issue that we have all the time. When your Windows settings are set to 5.1, but you actually only have stereo hardware. All that center channel goes into the void and you hear the "muffled" bleed in the left and right channel."

TL DR: Please check your Windows speaker config, and be sure that the config matches your hardware. If you have only a stereo setup, ensure that your Windows sound settings reflect this. Stereo hardware with a 5.1 system config will lead to some misbehaving audio.

Let us know how it goes.

Jason Wolford
    Lead Sound Designer

• Donari.5237Donari.5237 Member ✭✭✭✭

That does seem plausible! But it looks like I don't have any enhancements activated for my RealTek speakers as it is and I'm reluctant to disable all sound effects if I have none enabled in the first place, lest things go completely silent. (I see nothing about 5.1 configuration in the Win10 settings, so I've been googling around for what might match what you're saying).

So the game uses multiple channels, not just L/R? Neat. I have noticed that I can tell when a mob aggros on me, eg a wolf growling, that I get a good idea of where it is just from the sound. Subtle but immersive.

• I don't know how it works in Win10, but in Win7, you would right-click the speaker icon in the tray at the bottom, then choose 'Playback Devices', then click on the device you are using (such as 'Speakers'), then choose 'Configure', and select the option that fits (such as 'Stereo', '2.1', '5.1', etc.).
    Maybe this will help.

Good luck.

• @Donari.5237 said:
    That does seem plausible! But it looks like I don't have any enhancements activated for my RealTek speakers as it is and I'm reluctant to disable all sound effects if I have none enabled in the first place, lest things go completely silent. (I see nothing about 5.1 configuration in the Win10 settings, so I've been googling around for what might match what you're saying).

So the game uses multiple channels, not just L/R? Neat. I have noticed that I can tell when a mob aggros on me, eg a wolf growling, that I get a good idea of where it is just from the sound. Subtle but immersive.

I love that, too. To hear the effect of an adversary moving across the screen, with the sounds following (or even forecasting) their move -- that's awesome. To hear something in the distance that grows more audible as you, or they, approach, that's terrific, too. The sound effects really are immersive!

Gaile Gray
    Communications Manager: ArenaNet
    Fansite & Guild Relations; In-Game Events; Community Showcase Live

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.