Hammer Herald/Backbreaker 12- WvW Small-Scale [Vid]

Justine.6351

Small change to build with rune and sigil update. As I utilize sigil of cleansing on my hammer and it went from 1 condi removed on swap to 3, I dumped cleansing channel for rising tide. Still considering the swap to scholar runes but am currently continuing to utilize strength runes.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vlAQJASmnvN2gS6JvQRVlbosryPUYW5IKYs8EllNFqNAHYBshJNvxegF8hA-jlCBABccIEqZ/hzUCGwDCAgDIAWK/qU9nyvAA5prpjjQw6gDgxGLxGLxGbsxO2YjN2Yj1AiN2YjN2YjN2YjVKA9ksB-w

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Superior_Sigil_of_Cleansinghttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Cleansing_Channelhttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Rising_Tide

@Justine.6351 said:As I utilize sigil of cleansing on my hammer

That's kind of a curious choice. Why use that on your hammer and not staff? I have that sigil on my staff so when I'm under condi pressure I swap to staff for instant cleanse of 3 conditions, and can still use Renewing Wave if necessary. If I've just been condi bombed I've likely also been CC'd or pulled, so Staff 5 is ready to get me back into position.

I use Air and Bloodlust on my hammer.

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

That's kind of a curious choice. Why use that on your hammer and not staff? I have that sigil on my staff so when I'm under condi pressure I swap to staff for instant cleanse of 3 conditions, and can still use Renewing Wave if necessary. If I've just been condi bombed I've likely also been CC'd or pulled, so Staff 5 is ready to get me back into position.

So one thing I disliked was being forced into staff, a melee weapon, simply to Condi cleanse with renewing wave (previously I had no other Condi cleanse). So I decided to pickup cleansing on the hammer and also cleansing channel. If I legend swapped while in hammer it would cleanse 2 condi allowing me to stay ranged. Another item is that I use my staff offensively and part of that is using hydromancy + leeching sigils for a swap bomb. If I didn't need the heal from leeching I would probably use geomancy instead for it's aoe. I don't use bloodlust sigil on my rev, I just can't build and keep 25 stacks long enough for it to be a good choice. If I only zerged I might load out differently but I don't zerg frequently. It's one thing I kind of laugh at about the metabattle hammer rev build, they put supportive sigils on the staff that is never used to fight but for some reason make it zerker instead of something that can keep you alive like nomads.

@Justine.6351 said:

So one thing I disliked was being forced into staff, a melee weapon, simply to Condi cleanse with renewing wave (previously I had no other Condi cleanse). So I decided to pickup cleansing on the hammer and also cleansing channel. If I legend swapped while in hammer it would cleanse 2 condi allowing me to stay ranged. Another item is that I use my staff offensively and part of that is using hydromancy + leeching sigils for a swap bomb. If I didn't need the heal from leeching I would probably use geomancy instead for it's aoe. I don't use bloodlust sigil on my rev, I just can't build and keep 25 stacks long enough for it to be a good choice. If I only zerged I might load out differently but I don't zerg frequently. It's one thing I kind of laugh at about the metabattle hammer rev build, they put supportive sigils on the staff that is never used to fight but for some reason make it zerker instead of something that can keep you alive like nomads.

Yeah I've wondered about the staff myself, as really the only time its in my hands is if I'm moving away (or through) enemy players to a better position or for condi cleanse. I never really hit anyone with it. That all said, better to have a DPS staff in hand to make the most out of the next 9 seconds, so meh.

From a perspective of roaming I guess it makes sense to run the sigil in hammer, provided you swap legends regularly. I play in groups and zergs for the most part, and I'm only swapping to Jalis when the kitten hits the fan, otherwise I'm in Glint all the time. And getting and keeping 25stacks isn't too hard since you get 5 stacks for killing an enemy player, and any reasonably sized fight would get you full stacks. I'm just hesitant to remove any potential spike damage from my hammer since in zerg vs zerg, that means the difference between a downed enemy or an enemy dodging backwards at low health and getting healed up.

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

Yeah I've wondered about the staff myself, as really the only time its in my hands is if I'm moving away (or through) enemy players to a better position or for condi cleanse. I never really hit anyone with it. That all said, better to have a DPS staff in hand to make the most out of the next 9 seconds, so meh.

From a perspective of roaming I guess it makes sense to run the sigil in hammer, provided you swap legends regularly. I play in groups and zergs for the most part, and I'm only swapping to Jalis when the kitten hits the fan, otherwise I'm in Glint all the time. And getting and keeping 25stacks isn't too hard since you get 5 stacks for killing an enemy player, and any reasonably sized fight would get you full stacks. I'm just hesitant to remove any potential spike damage from my hammer since in zerg vs zerg, that means the difference between a downed enemy or an enemy dodging backwards at low health and getting healed up.

So why are you not running force/night on hammer and bloodlust/cleansing on staff?

@Justine.6351 said:

So why are you not running force/night on hammer and bloodlust/cleansing on staff?

Well that problem remains the same. As I never really swap to staff unless it's to reposition or cleanse, putting sigil of bloodlust on it means I'd never generate stacks. I suppose I could swap to staff and hit 5 during a push to tag mobs for stacks, but that's not an ideal use for the weapon, and I would have to do that after every time I went down.

From what I've read, after 10 stacks a Sigil of BL is better than Sigil of Force, so once you've killed 2 opponents you're outperforming Force, and after a single push against a 25 man squad, I almost always walk out with 25 stacks.

As for Sigil of Night, it would only be effective during night phases in WvW, while Air is consistent no matter what time of day.

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

Well that problem remains the same. As I never really swap to staff unless it's to reposition or cleanse, putting sigil of bloodlust on it means I'd never generate stacks. I suppose I could swap to staff and hit 5 during a push to tag mobs for stacks, but that's not an ideal use for the weapon, and I would have to do that after every time I went down.

From what I've read, after 10 stacks a Sigil of BL is better than Sigil of Force, so once you've killed 2 opponents you're outperforming Force, and after a single push against a 25 man squad, I almost always walk out with 25 stacks.

As for Sigil of Night, it would only be effective during night phases in WvW, while Air is consistent no matter what time of day.

I prefer Bloodlust + Impact on my Hammer with Cleansing and Energy on my Staff. I use Leeching + Blood on Sword/Sword with Assassin's Annihilation and Omnomberry Pie for an absurd amount of Life Steals. When I use Enchanted Daggers, it actually feels like I'm getting health back, lol.

As for the video, I enjoy these, Justine. I'm a newcomer to Rev and I enjoy floating around by myself a lot. Although I know Sword/Sword + Staff is objectively better than Hammer, I've also found myself using Hammer a lot for roaming (mind you not always). Sometimes I like to use Hammer + Sword/Sword as well. It's a little awkward due to how slow it is, but the damage from all of it's attacks and the burst potential from CoR if you set it up properly is just great. Not like there isn't a ton of open space in WvW to pull it off.

@"SpellOfIniquity.1780" said:

I prefer Bloodlust + Impact on my Hammer with Cleansing and Energy on my Staff. I use Leeching + Blood on Sword/Sword with Assassin's Annihilation and Omnomberry Pie for an absurd amount of Life Steals. When I use Enchanted Daggers, it actually feels like I'm getting health back, lol.

As for the video, I enjoy these, Justine. I'm a newcomer to Rev and I enjoy floating around by myself a lot. Although I know Sword/Sword + Staff is objectively better than Hammer, I've also found myself using Hammer a lot for roaming (mind you not always). Sometimes I like to use Hammer + Sword/Sword as well. It's a little awkward due to how slow it is, but the damage from all of it's attacks and the burst potential from CoR if you set it up properly is just great. Not like there isn't a ton of open space in WvW to pull it off.

The problem with Hammer for me is that it's a bit too telegraphed (at least for me since I'm also a Rev) - as a Sword/Sword Rev, fighting a Rev with Hammer for me is most of the time easier since I can gap close easily and force him to kite more (which isn't a problem for Sword/Sword Rev due to the many mid range skills and gap closers), or switch to staff, in which case he can't really pressure me too much. Also Sword/Sword is just way more fast paced and less clunky for me.

That being said, props to @Justine.6351 for making Hammer work - I enjoy these videos a lot and it's fun seeing all these guys thinking Hammer Rev is an easy target and then get beat up ;)

@idolin.2831 said:The problem with Hammer for me is that it's a bit too telegraphed (at least for me since I'm also a Rev) - as a Sword/Sword Rev, fighting a Rev with Hammer for me is most of the time easier since I can gap close easily and force him to kite more (which isn't a problem for Sword/Sword Rev due to the many mid range skills and gap closers), or switch to staff, in which case he can't really pressure me too much. Also Sword/Sword is just way more fast paced and less clunky for me.

That being said, props to @Justine.6351 for making Hammer work - I enjoy these videos a lot and it's fun seeing all these guys thinking Hammer Rev is an easy target and then get beat up ;)

Ty,Yeah hammer is pretty slow which is a liability at times. People who safeplay against me control the fight 100% and generally win or at least make it a close one. But related to what you said, many go full tryhard against hammer revs because they are easy food, I do my best to punish that assumption ;-)

@Justine.6351 said:

That's why you need 2nd hammer to build stacks. Get a cheap exotic one put blood lust on, you lose 5% damage for the first 5 kills, then you can enjoy the +250 power of the rest of whole ride.

@CRrabbit.1284 said:

That's why you need 2nd hammer to build stacks. Get a cheap exotic one put blood lust on, you lose 5% damage for the first 5 kills, then you can enjoy the +250 power of the rest of whole ride.

If you remove the weapon with bloodlust sigil it removes the stacks. Even swapping something like say an axe with bloodlust on it for an offhand sword with bloodlust on it will still remove your stacks.

Archived