Forum moderators are being extremist?

sostronk.8167

Seems like forum moderation here is quite extreme. Recently I made a post where I made a comment in an ongoing discussion. I later realized I misunderstood the game mechanic that was being discussed and that my post was irrelevant. The forum doesn't allow you to remove your post, so I modified it to 012456789 so that people wouldn't waste their time reading it. I had nothing else to add so that seemed like the best for all. Then in comes a "You have been warned" by a forum moderator. What was I supposed to do? I try to do the right thing, but the forum won't allow me to remove my post so I work with what I have. I keep getting warnings like this telling me I am going to be banned from the forums.

Any action by a mod has a generic "you have been warned" even if no infraction has taken place. Even a clean up causes it, so it is unlikely to be anything to be riled up about - it's just the set message they have to work with.

If the "warning" says points are put on your account, you can either challenge them via the forums email address or in future just edit to something a bit more sensible like "delete me" and report your thread for deletion. If it was a generic warning, ignore it

• ArenaNet Staff

We request that any questions about forum moderation or policies, in general or in specific cases, be sent to us via E-mail. This is a forum about a game, and we'd really like to see discussions about the game front and center. The e-mail address is Forums@Arena.Net.

Your comments are a little over the top. You do not "keep getting" warnings -- you've had two, total. You were not told you were going to be banned. You were given a single point in both instances, and a single point does not impact your ability to participate in any way. If you have concerns, let's discuss on a reasonable level, without hyperbole and unfounded claims.

Having said that, your complaint has raised a question, and I'd like to answer it:

Q: How do I delete a post?

A: While a member cannot delete a post, they can edit it to say "Please delete" or "removed content" or something of that sort. They also can use the report system after they've edited their comment to ask a moderator to remove the post. Use the "other" reason, and simply say, "Please remove my post" and that should do it.

When the moderators see a post containing numbers, they can't be blamed for being confused. Was the content edited? Was this a trolling post? They're not mind-readers, so please help them out by editing -- if you wish -- and then reporting for removal.

Thank you.

Archived