We Need More Expansive End-Game Content - Page 2 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

We Need More Expansive End-Game Content

2>

Comments

• zealex.9410zealex.9410 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Vayne.8563 said:
    I can see what the OP is asking for and you know, I wouldn't mind more ways to play the game. However, I doubt t hat would necessarily solve anything big scale. Someone that's played a game for five years and is bored sounds like every single other MMO I've ever played. I've seen these threads on WoW forums. I've seen these threads on FF XIV forums. Once you do the stuff the game is designed for, of course there's going to be less to do. It's just logical. All MMOs end up like this because development takes time and developing one thing means slacking on something else.

That said, the Living World maps that are coming out now are far more interesting to me than any kind of instanced content or any kind of PvP, so I'm not so sure what adding that stuff will accomplish to the playerbase as a whole. What would happen however is this. There'd be an entirely different game type to screw up balancing, to making it harder to make changes moving into the future.

Guild missions have existed in this game for ages, and I can't remember the last time they were updated. My guild still runs them, but it's just another type of content that was left behind. I'd rather see existing content updated than adding new types.

Diff is in ff14 said content gets added much more often.

• Xstein.2187Xstein.2187 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2018

@starlinvf.1358 said:
    Why not just implement Ley-Energy Power on gear, and make the exclusive drops in raids. Then add new difficulty tiers, where the Ley Energy Power adds a damage bonus, which in turn drops gear with higher Ley-Energy power. And when a new Raid wing comes out, the cap for Ley-Energy Power is raised on the new gear drops, but you'll still need gear from the previous raid just to qualify to enter the new Raid. What could possibly go wrong?

My suggestions mention or imply nothing about a gear treadmill. They were only suggestions for novel reward ideas. No need to assume new types or rewards will mean the end of the game.

@finkle.9513 said:
    I hate how stupidly complicated they make items... I am happy to wait 6 months a year to collect and farm etc... but the legendary auuroura is just ridiculous, do we really want to have our time abused in this manner? This is the answer to players asking for harder content... this is it, the designer must laugh when they see people with it and that they have jumped though their hoops.

You know, now that I think about it, it is kind of funny. You say jumping through hoops to get a reward is abusing our time. However, you know what I think is abusing my time? Doing the same tasks EVERY SINGLE living story for the EXACT same type of rewards. Thats why I quite doing it. Thats the reason I haven't even completed the last living story episode even though I have thousands of hours of play time. Talk about hoops. Oooo a piece of chocolate, Oooo a piece of chocolate, Oooo a new mini, Oooo a new mini, Oooo a new mini. Why the hell would I want to collect 100 minis? I can only equip one at a time. Same with cosmetics.

A individual could spend a lot of time going for something like aurora. However, a person could also spend the exact same amount of time collecting minis, cosmetics, or achievements. This is in no way an argument between casuals and non casuals. This is an argument between people who think collections are fun and people who do not think collections are fun, and a collection doesn't need to be an achievement in the collections category to be a collection. If you are collecting minis, collecting cosmetics, collecting dyes, collecting achievments etc. you are still doing your own collections. What about the people who don't like collections? For example, the episode "A Star to Guide Us" contained 9 new minis. Who wants to jump through those hoops? Who on gods green Earth wants to collect another 9 new minis when they can only equip ONE. You're telling me they couldn't have dropped one of those minis and added something new? What, the mini collectors are going to freak out if there are only 8 new minis in the next episode? You are telling me someone who enjoys spending 8 hours obtaining a really difficult item is jumping through hoops while a person who enjoys spending 8 hours fulfilling achievements and collecting inconsequential, repetitive items isn't? Why not introduce rewards for both? The problem is, practically every single living world episode since HoT has showed a very stark bias for group two over group one.
    Keep collecting away at those achievement points, minis, and cosmetics buddy. I'm sure there is no way the devs are copying the same old content ideas just to hush you over till the next episode. Don't worry, your path is hoop free.

• Vayne.8563Vayne.8563 Member ✭✭✭✭

@zealex.9410 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:
    I can see what the OP is asking for and you know, I wouldn't mind more ways to play the game. However, I doubt t hat would necessarily solve anything big scale. Someone that's played a game for five years and is bored sounds like every single other MMO I've ever played. I've seen these threads on WoW forums. I've seen these threads on FF XIV forums. Once you do the stuff the game is designed for, of course there's going to be less to do. It's just logical. All MMOs end up like this because development takes time and developing one thing means slacking on something else.

That said, the Living World maps that are coming out now are far more interesting to me than any kind of instanced content or any kind of PvP, so I'm not so sure what adding that stuff will accomplish to the playerbase as a whole. What would happen however is this. There'd be an entirely different game type to screw up balancing, to making it harder to make changes moving into the future.

Guild missions have existed in this game for ages, and I can't remember the last time they were updated. My guild still runs them, but it's just another type of content that was left behind. I'd rather see existing content updated than adding new types.

Diff is in ff14 said content gets added much more often.

But it's focused on content I don't want or care about, dungeons and raids. And you pay $15 a month for that content, but maybe it is. I can't say because I don't play it. I did try. Out of all the popular MMOs, it was my least favorite over all...and yes, I know it's quite popular.

• @Xstein.2187 said:

@starlinvf.1358 said:
    Why not just implement Ley-Energy Power on gear, and make the exclusive drops in raids. Then add new difficulty tiers, where the Ley Energy Power adds a damage bonus, which in turn drops gear with higher Ley-Energy power. And when a new Raid wing comes out, the cap for Ley-Energy Power is raised on the new gear drops, but you'll still need gear from the previous raid just to qualify to enter the new Raid. What could possibly go wrong?

My suggestions mention or imply nothing about a gear treadmill. They were only suggestions for novel reward ideas. No need to assume new types or rewards will mean the end of the game.

@finkle.9513 said:
    I hate how stupidly complicated they make items... I am happy to wait 6 months a year to collect and farm etc... but the legendary auuroura is just ridiculous, do we really want to have our time abused in this manner? This is the answer to players asking for harder content... this is it, the designer must laugh when they see people with it and that they have jumped though their hoops.

You know, now that I think about it, it is kind of funny. You say jumping through hoops to get a reward is abusing our time. However, you know what I think is abusing my time? Doing the same tasks EVERY SINGLE living story for the EXACT same type of rewards. Thats why I quite doing it. Thats the reason I haven't even completed the last living story episode even though I have thousands of hours of play time. Talk about hoops. Oooo a piece of chocolate, Oooo a piece of chocolate, Oooo a new mini, Oooo a new mini, Oooo a new mini. Why the hell would I want to collect 100 minis? I can only equip one at a time. Same with cosmetics.

A individual could spend a lot of time going for something like aurora. However, a person could also spend the exact same amount of time collecting minis, cosmetics, or achievements. This is in no way an argument between casuals and non casuals. This is an argument between people who think collections are fun and people who do not think collections are fun, and a collection doesn't need to be an achievement in the collections category to be a collection. If you are collecting minis, collecting cosmetics, collecting dyes, collecting achievments etc. you are still doing your own collections. What about the people who don't like collections? For example, the episode "A Star to Guide Us" contained 9 new minis. Who wants to jump through those hoops? Who on gods green Earth wants to collect another 9 new minis when they can only equip ONE. You're telling me they couldn't have dropped one of those minis and added something new? What, the mini collectors are going to freak out if there are only 8 new minis in the next episode? You are telling me someone who enjoys spending 8 hours obtaining a really difficult item is jumping through hoops while a person who enjoys spending 8 hours fulfilling achievements and collecting inconsequential, repetitive items isn't? Why not introduce rewards for both? The problem is, practically every single living world episode since HoT has showed a very stark bias for group two over group one.
    Keep collecting away at those achievement points, minis, and cosmetics buddy. I'm sure there is no way the devs are copying the same old content ideas just to hush you over till the next episode. Don't worry, your path is hoop free.

You are right I have played since realise and I like to play though content. But I have not completed any living story achievements, I refuse to do tedious tasks in game to gain a tick. There are plenty of meaningless tasks to complete in the real world.

This game has actually made me become casual, as the competitionist in me has given up.. its far to tedious in gw2... I just enjoy other elements than feeling "I must finish it"

• @finkle.9513 said:

@Xstein.2187 said:

@starlinvf.1358 said:

@finkle.9513 said:

You are right I have played since realise and I like to play though content. But I have not completed any living story achievements, I refuse to do tedious tasks in game to gain a tick. There are plenty of meaningless tasks to complete in the real world.

There is no other bigger turn off than having to google, wiki, dulfy - doing research to play a game... I just had to have a word with myself, as it resembles research job and not having fun in a game.

This game has actually made me become casual, as the competitionist in me has given up.. its far to tedious in gw2... I just enjoy other elements than feeling "I must finish it"

• Ayakaru.6583Ayakaru.6583 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2018

Dont scare me like that, i thought you said expensive. I’m still paying of the debt with my soul as rental.
    From HoT and on

To defeat the dragons, see the good in them.
    Zhaitan reunites lost ones, primordus creates fertile land, mordremoth spreads the green, and jormag..
    ..jormag? Who's that?

• kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Xstein.2187 said:
    For example, the episode "A Star to Guide Us" contained 9 new minis. Who wants to jump through those hoops? Who on gods green Earth wants to collect another 9 new minis when they can only equip ONE.

Summoning @Danikat.8537

I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

• Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Xstein.2187 said:
    For example, the episode "A Star to Guide Us" contained 9 new minis. Who wants to jump through those hoops? Who on gods green Earth wants to collect another 9 new minis when they can only equip ONE.

Summoning @Danikat.8537

You are correct. :)

I'm not the only one either. There are quite a few other mini pet collectors in the game, although we can be hard to spot...unless it's me in which case I keep going on about it. And of course there's people who will get any mini pet which appeals to them, even if they're not aiming for a full set.

"You can run like a river, Till you end up in the sea,
    And you run till night is black, And keep on going in your dreams,
    And you know all the long while, It's the journey that you seek,
    It's the miles of moving forward, With the wind beneath your wings."

• Xstein.2187Xstein.2187 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2018

@Danikat.8537 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Xstein.2187 said:

Summoning @Danikat.8537

I'm not the only one either. There are quite a few other mini pet collectors in the game, although we can be hard to spot...unless it's me in which case I keep going on about it. And of course there's people who will get any mini pet which appeals to them, even if they're not aiming for a full set.

Ooo, btw don't take it personally if you like collecting minis. My statement was more of a hyperbole. Point being, different people like different things.

• Lack of interesting in depth end game content is why I now play ESO far more. ESO allows your character to progress and gain power while you out in the world doing all kinds of things. We do not have this in the GW2. Once you max out your HP and MP, you are stuck.

• Dante.1763Dante.1763 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Danikat.8537 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Xstein.2187 said:

Summoning @Danikat.8537

I love collecting minis!! But the karma cost! D;

@wickedkae.4980 said:
    Lack of interesting in depth end game content is why I now play ESO far more. ESO allows your character to progress and gain power while you out in the world doing all kinds of things. We do not have this in the GW2. Once you max out your HP and MP, you are stuck.

Yes. As the game was designed and marketed.

Ember Wandertooth(SB), Lucina Fallenflame(Weaver), Kianda Redpaw(Guardian), Kingslayer, Light in the Dark.
    Why Guild Wars is called Guild Wars

• Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

@wickedkae.4980 said:
    Lack of interesting in depth end game content is why I now play ESO far more. ESO allows your character to progress and gain power while you out in the world doing all kinds of things. We do not have this in the GW2. Once you max out your HP and MP, you are stuck.

I prefer that to the ESO system where once you earn and apply enough champion points it makes everything except veteran trials stupidly easy and boring. I only apply CP on my crafter and thief, and then only to compensate for all their skill points going to non-combat skills. Otherwise it just gradually removes any challenge from combat.

Admittedly I don't think it has to be one or the other but it's a difficult balancing act to keep the people who want constant power progression happy without making older/easier content irrelevant and I'm not sure any game has actually managed it yet. And if I have to choose I much prefer a game where I can play all of the content without it feeling trivial over one where I get to see bigger numbers in the combat log periodically but all the fights are boring.

"You can run like a river, Till you end up in the sea,
    And you run till night is black, And keep on going in your dreams,
    And you know all the long while, It's the journey that you seek,
    It's the miles of moving forward, With the wind beneath your wings."

2>
©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.