We Need More Expansive End-Game Content

cletiscake.9173

I've been feeling very detached from the game for the past couple of years and don't really play that much at all anymore. I feel like there's no point to anything I do. I've got a few Legendaries, got my Fractal backpack, played the story, pvp'ed a little. But what else is there to do? All those things that i've accomplished required me to do extremely mundane things, like repeating the same content over and over, farming maps over and over. And for what? An arbitrary amount of currency so I could buy that one thing I want. There's no rewards in between. Nothing else to get me excited. Nothing else to save me from the drudgery of yet another time and money sink to acquire a "skin".

Why not create more open world bosses? Open-world raids? Battlegrounds for pvp, like in WoW? Can you imagine how fun it would be to have something like Alterac Valley in GW2? It would certainly get me excited to PvP. Let's face it, we haven't had any new ways to play the game, or new things to do in this game in a very long time. New maps with living world releases don't count. I can go have the same experience in any other living world map, and receive the same non-existent rewards. There needs to be more group content with more "tangible" rewards, not just currency. I feel like all repeatable group or solo content in the game can be summed up into one sentence: "What is the most profitable?" It shouldn't be like this. Players should be able to pick and choose their content based on the unique rewards that content provides. We are playing an RPG after all.

This means creating rewards for players like unique skins for different areas. Create a Dungeon set armour that you need to craft, not just buy with tokens. Create a Fractals set of armour to craft. Give us Legendary armor for non-raiders, even if it means we just obtain the functionality, but not the look. Give us more of a reason to explore the world you created. Make gear drops a thing. Let cool armour and weapons drop from bosses. Give players a reason to group up together and have fun and get rewards.

Don't make us continue to farm fractals everyday, for zero rewards other than currency. That is just a job with extra steps. I'm playing an MMO-RPG. I'm here to adventure with people, kill monsters, and get cool stuff to show for it. I'm not here to work for currency so I can save up and buy something.

Basically, make this game an MMO-RPG again. Thanks.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can understand you and I have to agree with you at some points like the need to have actual rewards that matter that requires in-depth content behind them. Now to give you some kind of an answer but first, let me tell you my ... "case" .I've played the game for 6 years,5 years guild leader and I felt detached several times and a few months ago i just stopped playing "seriously" or on a daily basis,as much as i want to come back to it,there is nothing that can keep my attention...BUUUUT...there is one thing that can make me attached again to it and that is involving myself again with the community ,meaning reviving my guild,getting new players,learning new names and stories.That is the ultimate reward and purpose of an mmorpg not really the rewards.The people you meet and the moments you create with them.If you involve yourself with the players again and don't expect the game to do it through content,i bet you will find again the reason to play the game.

@"Nury.3062" said:I can understand you and I have to agree with you at some points like the need to have actual rewards that matter that requires in-depth content behind them. Now to give you some kind of an answer but first, let me tell you my ... "case" .I've played the game for 6 years,5 years guild leader and I felt detached several times and a few months ago i just stopped playing "seriously" or on a daily basis,as much as i want to come back to it,there is nothing that can keep my attention...BUUUUT...there is one thing that can make me attached again to it and that is involving myself again with the community ,meaning reviving my guild,getting new players,learning new names and stories.That is the ultimate reward and purpose of an mmorpg not really the rewards.The people you meet and the moments you create with them.If you involve yourself with the players again and don't expect the game to do it through content,i bet you will find again the reason to play the game.

I've played DDO for nearly 9 years of it's 11 or so years of existence, and don't really have anything accomplished that can be there. None of my toons have BiS all the way around, while some do have some of it. For about 7 years I carried two subs despite that, because I was having fun with the guild I'm still in. I'd still have those subs, if it weren't for an issue on their forums. But I still log in from time to time, and hang out on the guild ship and chat, or run something that, due to dropping VIP, I'm not locked out of if they're running it. After a point, it does become all about the people, instead of the game, which is a good thing, considering my altaholism. I had well over 30 characters across three accounts over there, because I could log in a different toon in a different range to play with the guild, or to help a new player in the guild.

@robertthebard.8150 said:

@"Nury.3062" said:I can understand you and I have to agree with you at some points like the need to have actual rewards that matter that requires in-depth content behind them. Now to give you some kind of an answer but first, let me tell you my ... "case" .I've played the game for 6 years,5 years guild leader and I felt detached several times and a few months ago i just stopped playing "seriously" or on a daily basis,as much as i want to come back to it,there is nothing that can keep my attention...BUUUUT...there is one thing that can make me attached again to it and that is involving myself again with the community ,meaning reviving my guild,getting new players,learning new names and stories.That is the ultimate reward and purpose of an mmorpg not really the rewards.The people you meet and the moments you create with them.If you involve yourself with the players again and don't expect the game to do it through content,i bet you will find again the reason to play the game.

I've played DDO for nearly 9 years of it's 11 or so years of existence, and don't really have anything accomplished that can be there. None of my toons have BiS all the way around, while some do have some of it. For about 7 years I carried two subs despite that, because I was having fun with the guild I'm still in. I'd still have those subs, if it weren't for an issue on their forums. But I still log in from time to time, and hang out on the guild ship and chat, or run something that, due to dropping VIP, I'm not locked out of if they're running it. After a point, it does become all about the people, instead of the game, which is a good thing, considering my altaholism. I had well over 30 characters across three accounts over there, because I could log in a different toon in a different range to play with the guild, or to help a new player in the guild.

It's those connections and bonds created that really matter and as a guild leader,when i see members invited by me becoming friends and some irl friends it fills me with some kind of pride thinking that those strangers i invited while walking around or doing who knows what are now friends,actual friends.Some help each other get through tough times or have fun together and i was the starting point for it all,it feels amazing.It's all about the people,indeed.

@Nury.3062 said:

@Nury.3062 said:I can understand you and I have to agree with you at some points like the need to have actual rewards that matter that requires in-depth content behind them. Now to give you some kind of an answer but first, let me tell you my ... "case" .I've played the game for 6 years,5 years guild leader and I felt detached several times and a few months ago i just stopped playing "seriously" or on a daily basis,as much as i want to come back to it,there is nothing that can keep my attention...BUUUUT...there is one thing that can make me attached again to it and that is involving myself again with the community ,meaning reviving my guild,getting new players,learning new names and stories.That is the ultimate reward and purpose of an mmorpg not really the rewards.The people you meet and the moments you create with them.If you involve yourself with the players again and don't expect the game to do it through content,i bet you will find again the reason to play the game.

It's those connections and bonds created that really matter and as a guild leader,when i see members invited by me becoming friends and some irl friends it fills me with some kind of pride thinking that those strangers i invited while walking around or doing who knows what are now friends,actual friends.Some help each other get through tough times or have fun together and i was the starting point for it all,it feels amazing.It's all about the people,indeed.

I have 10 people on my Face Book page that I have gamed with for years. They're the only people that aren't family/extended family on my feed. People from New Zealand, to the UK, to scattered across the US. My cousin was planning a trip to London, and I got some hot tips on what to do, and what to watch out for from one of my guildmates that lives there. It was fun watching my cousin try to figure out how I got all that information.

@robertthebard.8150 said:

@Nury.3062 said:I can understand you and I have to agree with you at some points like the need to have actual rewards that matter that requires in-depth content behind them. Now to give you some kind of an answer but first, let me tell you my ... "case" .I've played the game for 6 years,5 years guild leader and I felt detached several times and a few months ago i just stopped playing "seriously" or on a daily basis,as much as i want to come back to it,there is nothing that can keep my attention...BUUUUT...there is one thing that can make me attached again to it and that is involving myself again with the community ,meaning reviving my guild,getting new players,learning new names and stories.That is the ultimate reward and purpose of an mmorpg not really the rewards.The people you meet and the moments you create with them.If you involve yourself with the players again and don't expect the game to do it through content,i bet you will find again the reason to play the game.

I have 10 people on my Face Book page that I have gamed with for years. They're the only people that aren't family/extended family on my feed. People from New Zealand, to the UK, to scattered across the US. My cousin was planning a trip to London, and I got some hot tips on what to do, and what to watch out for from one of my guildmates that lives there. It was fun watching my cousin try to figure out how I got all that information.@robertthebard.8150 said:

I have 10 people on my Face Book page that I have gamed with for years. They're the only people that aren't family/extended family on my feed. People from New Zealand, to the UK, to scattered across the US. My cousin was planning a trip to London, and I got some hot tips on what to do, and what to watch out for from one of my guildmates that lives there. It was fun watching my cousin try to figure out how I got all that information.

He he,that's awesome! As far as i know , a member of ours visited another one from EU to South Africa and in January ,the one from South Africa will visit another one from Portugal,since i live in Spain i could go to Portugal as well,it's great.

@cletiscake.9173 said:Players should be able to pick and choose their content based on the unique rewards that content provides.

Unfortunately, many players are completely against this, just check the Fractal/dungeon/raid sub-forum. The idea that content has unique rewards behind it and not only being done for the liquid rewards is something many oppose. So don't count on it ever getting more widespread, they will add a few small unique pieces behind new content and then we'll forget it exists unless it's the most profitable. Apparently that's how many players prefer it.

@Einsof.1457 said:Wvw, raids, fractals, lehendaries, pvp, achievements, etc. There's more than enough to do. And FYI, the game itself is endgame. Welcome to guild wars.

That's all fine and dandy, but those are the same things we've been doing for the past 6 years. The whole point of my post was to highlight how the whole game is a grind for currency with nothing exciting or rewarding in between. It feels like one big job.

We need more ways to play the game, imo. Battlegrounds for PvP for example. For PVE, a bigger emphasis on instanced content requiring groups of players to complete WITH rewards attached to that type of content.

This game just doesn't feel like an RPG anymore. In fact, it really never has.

@cletiscake.9173 said:

@Einsof.1457 said:Wvw, raids, fractals, lehendaries, pvp, achievements, etc. There's more than enough to do. And FYI, the game itself is endgame. Welcome to guild wars.

That's all fine and dandy, but those are the same things we've been doing for the past 6 years. The whole point of my post was to highlight how the whole game is a grind for currency with nothing exciting or rewarding in between. It feels like one big job.

We need more ways to play the game, imo. Battlegrounds for PvP for example. For PVE, a bigger emphasis on instanced content requiring groups of players to complete WITH rewards attached to that type of content.

This game just doesn't feel like an RPG anymore. In fact, it really never has.

So you're burnt out on the grind, and want to add more grind to cure the burnout.

@cletiscake.9173 said:For PVE, a bigger emphasis on instanced content requiring groups of players to complete WITH rewards attached to that type of content.

I can only speak for myself as a mostly casual, solo player. I neither want nor need bigger emphasis on instanced content that requires groups to complete. We already have this with fractals and raids. You advocate for yet another tier of the same?

@kharmin.7683 said:

@cletiscake.9173 said:For PVE, a bigger emphasis on instanced content requiring groups of players to complete WITH rewards attached to that type of content.

I can only speak for myself as a mostly casual, solo player. I neither want nor need bigger emphasis on instanced content that requires groups to complete. We already have this with fractals and raids. You advocate for yet another tier of the same?

Which is just terrible, adding another kind of content that was like fractals or raids but wasnt either would cause more rifts/splits. I dont want more content thats instanced outside of stories, fractals and raids, and im not stating dungeons cause you can three man dungeons these days with non meta classes. I really do hate being forced to group together unless its something ive planned on doing at set times as i do with raids.

@Edelweiss.4261 said:Open world Zhaitan when? I've been wanting this since I first fought the shatterer. Give me, give me!Edit: Not the least bit interested in instanced content, though. :/Story-wise, Tequatl is to Zhaitan what the Shatterer is to Kralkatorik, so we already have that. A new Zhaitan's champion fight is unlikely at this point in time, since Zhaitan has been history for a while, but with the way the story has been evolving recently, I guess nothing is off the table :) .

@Rasimir.6239 said:

@Edelweiss.4261 said:Open world Zhaitan when? I've been wanting this since I first fought the shatterer. Give me, give me!Edit: Not the least bit interested in instanced content, though. :/Story-wise, Tequatl is to Zhaitan what the Shatterer is to Kralkatorik, so we already have that. A new Zhaitan's champion fight is unlikely at this point in time, since Zhaitan has been history for a while, but with the way the story has been evolving recently, I guess nothing is off the table :) ....but I want open world Zhaitan and Kralkatorik. =(

You have a gripe about the game because it's not another game and this isn't a discussion since you're not here to get feedback to your post, just stipulate that to begin with. There's plenty to do and the new living world maps do count, as well as pvp, guild activities, wvw, and so on. I can log on for an hour or two after work and work on collections and reward tracks for gear and other items from a few different maps and modes or dig into one mode if it's on fire that night. My one gripe with the game is that WvW isn't a proper open world pvp replacement so you can save those battle grounds for another game because we basically already have one.

I can see what the OP is asking for and you know, I wouldn't mind more ways to play the game. However, I doubt t hat would necessarily solve anything big scale. Someone that's played a game for five years and is bored sounds like every single other MMO I've ever played. I've seen these threads on WoW forums. I've seen these threads on FF XIV forums. Once you do the stuff the game is designed for, of course there's going to be less to do. It's just logical. All MMOs end up like this because development takes time and developing one thing means slacking on something else.

That said, the Living World maps that are coming out now are far more interesting to me than any kind of instanced content or any kind of PvP, so I'm not so sure what adding that stuff will accomplish to the playerbase as a whole. What would happen however is this. There'd be an entirely different game type to screw up balancing, to making it harder to make changes moving into the future.

Guild missions have existed in this game for ages, and I can't remember the last time they were updated. My guild still runs them, but it's just another type of content that was left behind. I'd rather see existing content updated than adding new types.

He doesn't just want a different type of content. He also wants a different type of reward, something to go for, a challenge.Examples: Boss portal --> should have been a rare boss drop instead of a gemstore itemMore legendary trinkets-don't even need to be cosmeticMore guild decorations or house decorations/trophies if they give us housinginfusions for your minis, including cosmetic ones like auroras or mini size increases, or backpacks that let you store more goods on your mini.mini game tournament titles-or items: Keg Brawl, southsun survival, etc - the games aren't really that bad, we just need a reason to play them.An example would be a barrel you can equip and carry around that you get for placing high in keg brawl.Masteries that are impactful and actually hard and challenging to get. -Example: critical hits have a small chance to poison enemies
A city you can only way point to if you pass difficult open world content. - or fractal cityA Mount you can use that allow other guildies to ride with you!A gw2 microphone chat channel based on server and location- not a reward, just an additionNew Emotes you can unlock!Mount skins-yes as rewardsPets you can unlock to keep in your guild hallGuild hall bosses in your guild hall you can kill for guild commendations.
More PvP and WvW game modes with rewards: like 10v10 or 20v20 WvW server with smaller maps (really the only reason I'm not a big fan of WvW is because I don't feel like my actions are impactful).

Archived