Losing a lot of rating whilst having 3-5 top stats

Rob Nathan.5421

Ah, here this goes again.I got top stats so I must have did good

You could be dying entire match practically nonstop to 1v1 on a Node and in the end you get Top Offense, Top Defense and Top Heals, while being the worst possible asset to your team. Seen this million times and all of them think Top Stats means they did good.Besides this opens possibility for people to hunt "DA TOP STATS!!" instead of being actually useful and trying to win.

I am sorry, but I will have to post a famous and very common sentence in here: Top stats, lul

@Rob Nathan.5421 said:I think having top stats lessens the rating deduction from losing a ranked pvp. This keeps happening to me, having 3-5 top stats then losing the game and eventually eating up my rating. It's not my fault my teammates sucked.

top stats does not necessarily mean you carried the game.

plenty of games in the start of the season when I'm playing with and against players wayyy below my skill level there are instances where someone else on my team gets significantly more stats than me even though I hard carried the game by holding a far node all game against more than 1 player.

think about macro play rather than short term, don't think about top stats.

if you are good enough you will eventually carry yourself out of the rank you're in.

So by all means, it's okay to lose a lot of rating when you're in plat 2 teamed up with gold 1-2 players who doesn't even know how to rotate and stomp? I mean seriously, top stats DO mean something especially if you're the only one who has it for like 3-5 tops stats. I know the difference between just having top stats vs carrying the game. In a game mixed with plat and gold there's a huge skill gap between the skill and know how of players, so if you get paired with bad gold players vs better gold players then lose the game while carrying, it's somehow your fault you lost? I was just saying that instead of like losing -14, having a bunch of top stats would just make it -11 or so. If you guys didn't get my point, I don't know what to say anymore. I'm sure these things happen to you..

@Rob Nathan.5421 said:So by all means, it's okay to lose a lot of rating when you're in plat 2 teamed up with gold 1-2 players who doesn't even know how to rotate and stomp? I mean seriously, top stats DO mean something especially if you're the only one who has it for like 3-5 tops stats. I know the difference between just having top stats vs carrying the game. In a game mixed with plat and gold there's a huge skill gap between the skill and know how of players, so if you get paired with bad gold players vs better gold players then lose the game while carrying, it's somehow your fault you lost? I was just saying that instead of like losing -14, having a bunch of top stats would just make it -11 or so. If you guys didn't get my point, I don't know what to say anymore. I'm sure these things happen to you..

then you didn't articulate your argument well lol.

the problem has nothing to do with top stats. completely irrelevant. the problem is matchmaking in higher ranks. all of us in high rank experience this problem.

low population forces matchmaker to include lower ranked players in teams.

only real way to combat this is either:

1. find a duo queue partner so you two can carry the game together more often than not
  2. only play during peak hours when more high ranked players like ourselves are playing the game.

but yea. I get your frustration. you just didn't specify what your issue was in the OP :)

@"Alatar.7364" said:Ah, here this goes again.I got top stats so I must have did good

You could be dying entire match practically nonstop to 1v1 on a Node and in the end you get Top Offense, Top Defense and Top Heals, while being the worst possible asset to your team. Seen this million times and all of them think Top Stats means they did good.Besides this opens possibility for people to hunt "DA TOP STATS!!" instead of being actually useful and trying to win.

I am sorry, but I will have to post a famous and very common sentence in here: Top stats, lul

This. Its highly role and build dependent who gets these anyway, roaming builds like D/P Thief rarely ever get any (or at most they might get Top Offense or Kills) even when they hard carry games for examples, simply because they spend a lot of time moving around and they do damage in quick precise burst, instead of just passively cleaving everything by covering nodes with cancer, for example.

Also stats like healing also hardly mean anything, just means that you're either the team's only support, or play something with higher sustain.

Either way like others said, ranked can be frustrating at times, you will get crappy teams and possibly tank under your skill level. You will get back up where you belong eventually tho.

Case in point me in the past few days where i went on like a 8-9 loss streak then won the next 12 games in a row or so.>

@bigo.9037 said:

1. find a duo queue partner so you two can carry the game together more often than not
  2. only play during peak hours when more high ranked players like ourselves are playing the game.

but yea. I get your frustration. you just didn't specify what your issue was in the OP :)

I mean in any percentile based ladder the population at the top is going to be small, its kinda the point. Even if you play an ungodly popular game like League at its peak, if you're part of the 0.1% of the players in SoloQ. chances you'll get matched with people in Diamond once in a while. Its either that or wait for 5 hours for a game.

@Griever.8150 said:

@"Alatar.7364" said:Ah, here this goes again.
I got top stats so I must have did good

I am sorry, but I will have to post a famous and very common sentence in here:
Top stats, lul

This. Its highly role and build dependent who gets these anyway, roaming builds like D/P Thief rarely ever get any (or at most they might get Top Offense or Kills) even when they hard carry games for examples, simply because they spend a lot of time moving around and they do damage in quick precise burst, instead of just passively cleaving everything by covering nodes with cancer, for example.

Also stats like healing also hardly mean anything, just means that you're either the team's only support, or play something with higher sustain.

Either way like others said, ranked can be frustrating at times, you will get crappy teams and possibly tank under your skill level. You will get back up where you belong eventually tho.

Case in point me in the past few days where i went on like a 8-9 loss streak then won the next 12 games in a row or so.>

I mean in any percentile based ladder the population at the top is going to be small, its kinda the point. Even if you play an ungodly popular game like League at its peak, if you're part of the 0.1% of the players in SoloQ. chances you'll get matched with people in Diamond once in a while. Its either that or wait for 5 hours for a game.

sure, I know. I was just explaining it to OP. but often times it seems like anet will try to even out the mmr/elo levels of each team by having the player with highest mmr on a team with players with lower mmr. and the other team tends to be more even in skill.

I think gw2 pvps lower population makes this effect or mechanic by the MM much more apparent than other games. it happens in other esport games too, sure. but I don't think you'd run into gold players if you're diamond 5 just because you don't play peak hours in LoL :)

@Rob Nathan.5421 said:So by all means, it's okay to lose a lot of rating when you're in plat 2 teamed up with gold 1-2 players who doesn't even know how to rotate and stomp? I mean seriously, top stats DO mean something especially if you're the only one who has it for like 3-5 tops stats. I know the difference between just having top stats vs carrying the game. In a game mixed with plat and gold there's a huge skill gap between the skill and know how of players, so if you get paired with bad gold players vs better gold players then lose the game while carrying, it's somehow your fault you lost? I was just saying that instead of like losing -14, having a bunch of top stats would just make it -11 or so. If you guys didn't get my point, I don't know what to say anymore. I'm sure these things happen to you..

i agree. this killed my rating. i can't keep up with plat anymore. my rng sucks as in playing fractals daily for months, CMs included, didn't get an ascended drop while friends get them all over the place. yes, same for pvp. if got match up with gold players, it gotta be worse gold players than enemy team. go figure.

afaik, top stats don't mean much. but numbers don't lie. so it still means something that you try hard. at least i'd like to see those peeps have more than 3 top stats get less punishment if their team lose. maybe 1/3 points less would be nice.

i have to use traveler rune on my guardian and my necro so i can actually rotate. that's how bad it is. lol.

@bigo.9037 said:

if you are good enough you will eventually carry yourself out of the rank you're in.

This is the single greatest truth for ranked, as much as many people don't want to hear it.

Aside from just learning what it is you need to be doing better or finding a class that helps you carry matches more effectively, the only other thing you can do to make lasting improvements to your rank is to practice queue discipline. Since making it back into plat matters to me this season, I stop queuing ranked every day after I get 1 or 2 net wins. I've climbed steadily and will reach plat in 2 or 3 days at this pace, despite having a pretty abysmal gold 1 placement this season.

There are many reasons not to do this, but if you want to climb and mmr is important to you, you have to both cut your losses when the losing streaks set in, and not get greedy and push too hard past winning streaks.

Archived