Whispers only available for friends

@Nekromalistik.7045 said:Is there any option that only allows people who are my friends to whisper to me?No, not currently.

if there is not, they could implement this optional toolANet seems reluctant to make any changes to the underlying mechanics that would support this.

Separately, the principle of the idea bothers me. This is an MMO, not a coop or private LAN. Go invisible if you must. Preventing communication from any strangers seems to go against the spirit of massively multiplay. They'd also have to go to some effort to prevent this from being abused, most notably: if you turn off whispers from outside the list, then you can whisper anyone until you are on their list, too.

Separately, the principle of the idea bothers me. This is an MMO, not a coop or private LAN. Go invisible if you must. Preventing communication from any strangers seems to go against the spirit of massively multiplay. They'd also have to go to some effort to prevent this from being abused, most notably: if you turn off whispers from outside the list, then you can whisper anyone until you are on their list, too.

Disconnecting me is not an option for me, because I would not allow my friends to answer me by whispering and the clan messages also disappear. What I want is not to be able to receive whispers from strangers

This is an MMO, not a coop or private LAN.

Regarding this, it would only block the whispers. If someone wants my help, you can tell me by map, local, team, squadron, group, etc., etc.

@starhunter.6015 said:Well, how else can one be whispered by a stranger passing by and is in awe of your armor designEasy, ask for it by local chat.

Let along Scouting in WvW whispers come in handy quite well .

I did not understand this part very well, but I reiterate that this tool would be -> optional <- easy to activate and deactivate depending on the user's taste

@Nekromalistik.7045 said:Disconnecting me is not an option for me, because I would not allow my friends to answer me by whispering and the clan messages also disappear. What I want is not to be able to receive whispers from strangersYes, I got that. And I don't agree that it's necessarily a good thing for the game.

This is an MMO, not a coop or private LAN.Regarding this, it would only block the whispers. If someone wants my help, you can tell me by map, local, team, squadron, group, etc., etc.It's not about wanting your help or not, it's about whether this is a global community or a bunch of isolated communities that come together occasionally. I realize that the latter is where humans tend to default, but I think it's healthier for the game to at least keep the features that allow the former.

I understand that there are good reasons for wanting to restrict whispers. I don't doubt this would be a good thing for you (and many others). I'm not convinced that it's good for the game overall.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:If you are receiving many an unwanted whisper, I'd wonder what is prompting so many.

Many people in WvW and PvP who do not accept defeat...or a lot of bad luck to bump into them :T

As of right now, there is not a way to keep people/strangers from whispering you. The only options you have available is to block the family/character name that is whispering you, or ignoring the whisper and not replying. I know which I would choose.

Thanks bro! :)

They should limit the Whisper range to a radius of 120.

xDD

Even in invisible state you can get whispered, you only can't whisper back. There is also no feature to disable whispers.

OP states he/she wants to chat with his/her friends so a sort of workaround can be used. Make a guild just for you and friends and use this guild's chat to communicate instead of whispers. In communication channels disable the whisper box (or keep it in one but just don't have this tab open in front of you). Make sure the friends guild text is enabled in the chatbox you use. You don't have to rep said guild to see the messages (they will appear as a guild chat in another colour as your repped guild.

@Aaralyna.3104 said:Even in invisible state you can get whispered, you only can't whisper back. There is also no feature to disable whispers.It's the opposite: as invisible, you can whisper anyone visible; they cannot reply to you. While invisible, you also can't use /guild chat.

However, @Aaralyna.3104's suggested work around is good:

• Create a guild for chatting
  • Create a custom chat channel with /whispers disabled. (Can also disable /say and /map, while keeping /party & /squad enabled.)

@ OP, I am a bit surprised by your request. It is true that like everything else in this game, there are trolls who will use the whisper chat to bother others, but I believe it is quite limited and the few times it happens, you can simply block them.

Otherwise, globally, for me, the whisper chat is one of the most practical chat tool we have. For example (not limited to):

• It is useful to talk to someone about something that does not concern others around.
  • It is a big help for players who are too shy to ask public (and believe me, there are a lot).
  • When leading a party/squad, if we want to say something specific to one team member, without it going public, it is the only way.
  • And a regular one: When two players start a debate on whatever subject, they can swap to whisper to avoid spamming the map/guild chat.

Due to those points and a few more, I find the whisper chat very useful.

Did you had a bad experience with it? Don't forget you can immediately block whoever is bothering you. :)

Archived