Use Custom Head Skin With Outfits?

Would it be at all possible to use my own choice of headpiece skin with an outfit? I really like the look of the Exemplar and Elonian Elementalist outfits on my Asura (my favorite skins to use), but a friend of mine recently gifted me the Wide Rim Glasses off of the Gem Store, and I can't use any of my favorite outfits with it even though I can disable the headpieces of my outfits, suggesting that this portion of the outfit is modular.

@Dante.1763 said:

@Atticus.7194 said:light, medium and heavy armor have different rigging points that allows them to be combined without looking ridicActually they don't, they're just a lot of misplaced textures on the medium armor but this can be solved though multiple ways (not to mention that they should fix the misplaced textures regardless).

Is there proof they do not, because im more inclined to believe there absolutely is.Sure, just go to the wardrobe and look at the more basic clothing (you have to use the glorious brigandine for medium armor due to a lack of alternatives). The basics are always the same regardless of weight class, everything else is skin dependent.

More basic, as in lack of decoration, or like starting clothing?

Also forgive me for pointing this out but
there
are differences.

These are from an older post in 2017:

@Machiavell.7396 said:As a player who played this game since release, let me clarify it for you. Wishes and polls aside, what you suggest is not possible in game's engine. Back in the day, you could actually preview multiple weights of armor at the same time, but all you got from it was a bunch of glitched out textures. Game's engine works with certain skeletons and these skeletons have different mesh for armors and pants. This is why medium armors in majority are trenchcoats, and because of different hook spots and whatever, it's impossible to effectively mix and match armor pieces that in some cases go on top of each other's hook point and literally flip your game inside out. Gloves, Boots, Helmets and Shoulders have same hook spots so that can be added across multiple weights, and won't break anything, BUT they work ONLY because they are prepared for that ahead of time, as I remember that previewing heavy pants with light/medium shoes back then also created unsettling graphical anomalies.

Technical part aside, outfits broke enough immersion already, I would prefer actually to have armor weights as they are now, to preserve at least some of classes originality.

@DreamyLove.8947 said:

@shejesa.3712 said:A noble goal but it is not worth it. They would have put tons of resources into getting rid of all the clipping that medium/light/have models are bound to have. Outfits have to be in order only within their own texture and with weapons/backpack that are the same for all the weights.

we already have "clipping" problem at same weight

so i don't think this is why we can't have ignore weight

ppl who wanna mix weight, he will choose the match one

We don't have the kind of clipping problems that come with mixing weights. If you think clipping is bad now, you can't imagine how bad it is without the amount of testing/refinement they do.

I don't think ANet will ever do away with weights of armor. "Outfits" bypass that by creating a fourth weight (or fifth, if you include town clothes, which were also a unique weight that couldn't be mixed with the others).

What they could do is eliminate the requirement that "light armor" skins can only be worn by scholar classes. Since you can appear to be in metal armor using outfits, there's no longer a gamplay reason for the restriction. (That wouldn't be cheap to accomplish; it would just be a lot cheaper than allowing mixed weights.)

i am not thikng clipping is badbut also i don't thinkg that is a why we can't do ignore weight

also when u preview skinu can see all weight they near the same line base on body

and i think only reason is they don't want, they didn't do, not they can't do by current engine

ks86HDh.png

You're misunderstanding the fundamental problem. It is in fact a game engine limitation. The armor pieces themselves actually anchor to different places on the skeleton... and when you mix them it tries to put those anchor points together, condensing the skeleton in weird ways. the term "clipping" is an inadequate description for what happens here... You used to be able to preview mix and match, which worked fine when using med pants with med tops, etc. The moment you mixed a med top with, say, a heavy armor though things would happen like your character's torso shortening, or the character's waist turning inside out... for an example of what can happen when something causes the mesh to condense in a way it was not supposed to (not an armor issue but very similar to how some of these mixes behaved in preview)....

I tried tracking down the Developer post on the subject because they did get asked and they did give an answer(amounting to each armor weight is rigged separately.) but it was at the earliest in 2012 when the
FIRST
of these threads appeared.

edit and to further clarify: Town clothes/outfits are the fourth "armor type".

edit 2: this is a qoute from Curtis Johnson"

We do understand and sincerely apologize that there are creative combinations of town clothes that will not exist anymore. Many have asked why remove town clothes as a concept. It boils down to we believe better armor skinning and the outfit system is something we can add more options to more often and will produce a better supported RP game for everyone with more variety in the future. In short, a healthier game.

To expand more on what I mean by better support, It helps if you think of town clothes as a 4th weight class of armor. Clothing was meant to offer visual options that break the class roles, however we were never completely happy with the way it was isolated from the rest of the game and still felt largely the same. Many pieces could have easily been mistaken for light or medium armor. In many ways it was more akin to building an alt character because town-clothes and armor were so separated. Additionally, every time we added something to town-clothes, it didn’t really help someone building their light, medium, or heavy look. And there was no way to add combat gear fairly without creating 3 versions on the back end (light, medium, and heavy). As a customization platform and sustainable expansion design it left a lot to be desired.

When we started looking at bringing more of the clothing back into armor with mix and match styles there are some fundamental incompatible things between weight classes. (part of how we set up every armor to allow many dye channels and styles per piece).. There really is no way at this point over six years since we started development to make absolutely everything work together. So we needed something new to continue to grow in the future.

Outfits give us a way to create highly stylized looks that aren’t constrained to armor slots or weight class. In addition to armor skins that are easier and cheaper to collect across characters and the account dye system we do believe the options across a players whole account are much more attractive now. You’ll see more outfits coming out this summer and additions to the game more often usable by your characters. We try not to allow too much ‘hoarder’ design where we just keep stacking more and more options on leaving lots of unsupported things hanging around. Yes, we do have to give up some of our current closet space and clothing to fit the new wardrobe in. Again, apologies for that.

As always we ask you to try out the new system of customization and see what’s available to you. I think many people will be surprised by how many pieces have become armor compatible. We hope the benefits to the outfit system and wardrobe in terms of future support and additions will be clear, and you can look forward to more new outfits coming very soon."

Edit 3: in my digging i have found that players at the time ripped the armor skins from the game files and mixed them on skeletons they also ripped from the games files and the results where bad according to the posts(no pictures i think in part because the old forums dont really exist anymore), but they had tops trying to literally merge with pants, among other issues.

Throwing this here, its a qoute from Curtis Johnson on why Mix n Match armours doesnt work in this game.

Archived