Give a Friend a Mount Ride!

Synyster.9716

My idea was to have a mount that can bring a friend with you (grab him or just another seat). I came to this idea because i played with my girl who just started out and we wanted to just explore the map and farm up and lvl up together. Because of my mount i was obviously way faster so that got me to this idea. It would be maybe to "op" if it could fly but atleast faster than normal would be really cool. This would just be insanely cute and handy even if she could just get lvl 80 and do path of fire. It even can give new players some feel on how usefull mounts are and they might buy it sooner.

There are videos of them trying two seated mounts in early early closed beta for POF, they got scrapped, as the idea was to complex for their code to handle(two persons on one persons entity), there was also a qoute floating around from an interview with a dev saying it wouldnt work when asked the same question.

Your best is to get your GF into PoF and get her the raptor that way she can keep up with you, can easily carry her through that first mission to unlock it.

@"robertthebard.8150" said:My first PG 13 thought was "I know a taxidermist"... Sorry, I'll go back over to my little corner now...

I'm impressed you went PG 13. I know I didn't...

The idea has been mooted a few times for multi person mounts. I think it has potential to be very cool and fun and I say that given how awesome Mario Kart Double Dash was (I know diff games, but I have zero else to use as a comparison). I imagine though, the logistics to code would be a nightmare.

I think if they could make it work and make it work well, the potential for opening up the game even further even at just at a purely-for-fun base, would be enormous. You could then lead onto more than just dual. I could foresee actual taxi's with carriages/waggons etc

There was (is?) an MMO that has that feature, so it's not totally impossible. Though may well be beyond GW2's code flexibility. What was that MMO ... it was one where you could be cat people or elves etc, had a robust character creator that came out simplistic in game ... I think it was ArcheAge, which suffered from too many flaws for me to find it playable despite the buddy mount system.

Get a comm tag and mark the map for her :)

@Donari.5237 said:There was (is?) an MMO that has that feature, so it's not totally impossible. Though may well be beyond GW2's code flexibility. What was that MMO ... it was one where you could be cat people or elves etc, had a robust character creator that came out simplistic in game ... I think it was ArcheAge, which suffered from too many flaws for me to find it playable despite the buddy mount system.

Revelation Online has 2 sit mounts and wings when updated can let a player lift hold another one and fly, works really well, game is heavy p2w tho

Going back to the original post I actually think 2 seater mounts would be a bad idea in this case. What sounds more exciting to you? Getting a new game and getting to explore it, decide where to go and what to do but with a friend on hand to help if you're stuck or confused? Or literally just sitting there being lead through whichever bits an experienced player thinks are most important, as fast as possible?

I'm not against new players having and using mounts but even when they're the one in control I think it runs the risk of missing content and opportunities to learn the game. (For example there was someone recently who couldn't work out how to get to a POI where mounts are disabled - the solution was to walk around the barrier and through the door but they were so used to using the springer to leap over obstacles that they didn't know what else to try.) If they're not even directing the mount I think that effect would be even more dramatic.

• 1 month later...

Whas just thinking the same not so long ago. How great it would be if i could pick up a new mountless player to bring him to the action quicker or give a tour. Like this idea. Was also thinking of a groups mount idea (5 players max), but that would take a lot of space on the screen ;-p not as quick on land as a raptor, but still a decent speed.

I loved passenger mounts in WoW and would love to see them here. However, ANet has raised the bar on mounts, so they'll have their work cut out for them if they go for this.

On the bright side, the GW2 UI is much better designed for this than WoW. I remember it being a mess trying to deal with how to dismount as a passenger in WoW, particularly if you had any addons that moved UI things around.

Archived