What if Unhindered Combatant halved the Dodge and Animation duration?

TwiceDead.1963

Unhindered Combatant currently has a regular Evade window of 0.75 seconds with 400 units of range covered. The animation presumably lasts the same amount of time.What if this was changed?

Lower the animation duration and evasion window to 0.37 seconds, but keep the 400 unit range window.

Basically you would have to be tighter with your dodges in order to evade a strike, but when you dodge you would also put distance between yourself and your opponent faster. You would also travel the map faster since you cover 400 range in half the time as usual.

If you chain three Dodges together you get 2.25 seconds of evasion-uptime, and you travel 1200 range.With the change?If you chained three Dodges together you'd only get 1.125 seconds of Evasion uptime, you'd still travel 1200 range.

Very punishing should you mistime your dodges. I don't expect them to implement this, lag and all those things being a concern for the tight dodge-window, but I think it would be an interesting side-grade. It would also have the consequence of making thieves harder to catch than they already are, since they cover the same distance as before during a dodge in less time. On the other hand, their evasion uptime is drastically lowered, so they COULD be easier to kill. Channeled skills in particular would be our bane...

I think you'd have to Remove the Exhaustion Debuff though, because a 0.37 second dodge-window is punishing enough as it is.

Why are you even considering this? We'd be an evade based class that actually had shorter duration evades than every other class, and we'd pay a grandmaster for the privilege. Move speed means little these days when warrior, holo, mirage and soulbeast can either keep up or spike from range and laugh at the reduced evade uptime.

No. Just no.

This would be a bad idea especially on thief which so reliant on having good connections and ping time to surive an encounter. I find being on warrior and a thief has a night and day difference survival wise when dealing with latency and the like as warrior at least can survive if they get hit due to the same.

Added to that a number of skills and especially the big hitting ones have long channels. Dodging a RF as example from a ranger would be next to impossible as you only get a partial dodge of the channel. While that happens to an extent in the current system Rapid fire or p/p unload would be even more effective against thief with lower times in the evade frame.

Why would you even consider more speed and less survivability on dash thief? Dash Drd is one of the fastest moving specs in the game and its also very reliant on its dodges especially after all the endurance generation nerf. If you want to cover distance you always have sb which ports you double the distance of a dash in a shorter amount of time. I really don't get your proposed change unless you're one of those that have no idea how to play it, but want to kill it. If you really like walking speed that much why not use something like runes of speed?

Is this a disguised "pls nerf" thread? Unhindered Combatant already got hit with Exhaustion but sure lets make the timing tighter and duration shorter while every other class gets passive stuff out of the wazoo to the point where you can sleep on the keyboard. And pretty much what NuhDah.9812 said

Despite everything Daredevil is still playable so lets keep it that way please

@Jugglemonkey.8741 said:Why are you even considering this?

I wanted to talk about it, so I made a thread about it.

We'd be an evade based class that actually had shorter duration evades than every other class, and we'd pay a grandmaster for the privilege. Move speed means little these days when warrior, holo, mirage and soulbeast can either keep up or spike from range and laugh at the reduced evade uptime.

Yeah it's underwhelming. But I am not a fan of adding to the piles of broken stuff in the game. I'm more a fan of side-grades than straight upgrades... Kind of going against the trend around here, I know. I may have been too cautious in my suggestion though.

@babazhook.6805 said:This would be a bad idea especially on thief which so reliant on having good connections and ping time to surive an encounter. I find being on warrior and a thief has a night and day difference survival wise when dealing with latency and the like as warrior at least can survive if they get hit due to the same.

Yeah I agree with everything here. Connections IS the nail in the coffin preventing something like too tight windows from ever surfacing. Considering some people have pings that range between everything from 100 to 3000ms, there would be no way for them to be precise enough for something like this.

Added to that a number of skills and especially the big hitting ones have long channels. Dodging a RF as example from a ranger would be next to impossible as you only get a partial dodge of the channel. While that happens to an extent in the current system Rapid fire or p/p unload would be even more effective against thief with lower times in the evade frame.

What if you added Target Break to the Dodge and prevented re-target for the duration?

@NuhDah.9812 said:Why would you even consider more speed and less survivability on dash thief?

Too much free time? For the hell of it? Why not?/shrug

Dash Drd is one of the fastest moving specs in the game and its also very reliant on its dodges especially after all the endurance generation nerf. If you want to cover distance you always have sb which ports you double the distance of a dash in a shorter amount of time. I really don't get your proposed change unless you're one of those that have no idea how to play it, but want to kill it. If you really like walking speed that much why not use something like runes of speed?

Relax man. It's nothing like that. I don't want or expect it to be changed, I'm just discussing hypotheticals here for funsies.

@"Artaz.3819" said:Maybe just revert and remove the "Exhaustion" instead on Unhindered Combatant? Honestly, it needs to be a split PvE/WvW/PvP skill.

Different discussion altogether. Not one I want to get into here.

@"GRRRR.3521" said:Is this a disguised "pls nerf" thread?

Nope. I know where you're coming from though, there's presedence for players to be paranoid about veiled nerf threads on this entire forum.

Unhindered Combatant already got hit with Exhaustion but sure lets make the timing tighter and duration shorter while every other class gets passive stuff out of the wazoo to the point where you can sleep on the keyboard.

Haha! Sounds good to me. Give me an altered character where I am the only one affected by these changes and I'd roll it for the hell of it!

Despite everything Daredevil is still playable so lets keep it that way please

Yeah.

@TwiceDead.1963 said:

@Jugglemonkey.8741 said:Why are you even considering this?

I wanted to talk about it, so I made a thread about it.

We'd be an evade based class that actually had shorter duration evades than every other class, and we'd pay a grandmaster for the privilege. Move speed means little these days when warrior, holo, mirage and soulbeast can either keep up or spike from range and laugh at the reduced evade uptime.

Yeah it's underwhelming. But I am not a fan of adding to the piles of broken stuff in the game. I'm more a fan of side-grades than straight upgrades... Kind of going against the trend around here, I know.
I may have been too cautious in my suggestion though.

Apologies if my tone offended you or anything, upon rereading it it's more strongly worded than I'd like. I should post less when I'm tired xD

I get where you're coming from, I honestly think the power creep is getting slightly insane at this point, I just don't think it would be a positive change overall. Fun maybe, sure, just not positive.

Archived