Race checkpoints - how do you know where the next one is?

Some races are easy to do because you clearly have the next checkpoint in view.With some of the recent beetle races (especially the one in Kourna, I think it's a training race?) it seems they added "hide and seek" into the "race with an unsteerable mount" "fun".

Having to race with the beetle is bad enough if you're not used to it (since it can barely turn), but trying to find the next checkpoing while trying not to run into a wall is getting me close to having to buy a new keyboard (because I almost smashed this one).

But maybe I'm not seeing the obvious? Is there something that actually tells me where the next checkpoint is?

There is an icon on the minimap that shows where the next checkpoint is (orange and black). Most checkpoints are visible from the one you've just gone through, but I'd also suggest using the single-lap time trial as practise to familiarise yourself with the course.

@Yol.1685 said:but I'd also suggest using the single-lap time trial as practise to familiarise yourself with the course.Familiarise is the word - you are not expected to discover a new race and have the gold medal in the same try. The first time I did the Brisban track, there were 2 parts in which I went to the wrong direction and I had to lose many seconds to find the next checkpoint. But I tried again and again, and i eventually learned their position by heart and completed the gold reward.Compare with real life races: competitors in ski slaloms for example always practice a few times on the actual track before the real competition begins, same for Formula 1!

One thing I only noticed recently is each checkpoint is a kind of dome shape with a darker arch around it which is angled towards the next checkpoint. If you go through so you're going straight under that arch you'll be facing the next checkpoint. It's not always possible to turn before the checkpoint so you go straight through it, and it's not necessary either, but it can give you and idea of what direction to go in once you're through it.

Also doing it during the event can help because then you can follow everyone else - just be careful of people who aren't on the same bit of the race as you. I think the one in Mount Maelstrom crosses over at one point. If not then I don't know what happened but I ended up following the wrong person and going over a section of track I'd already done.

@Aulendur.4036 said:

@Yol.1685 said:but I'd also suggest using the single-lap time trial as practise to familiarise yourself with the course.Familiarise is the word - you are not expected to discover a new race and have the gold medal in the same try. The first time I did the Brisban track, there were 2 parts in which I went to the wrong direction and I had to lose many seconds to find the next checkpoint. But I tried again and again, and i eventually learned their position by heart and completed the gold reward.Compare with real life races: competitors in ski slaloms for example always practice a few times on the actual track before the real competition begins, same for Formula 1!

It also depends on the track. Diessa was pretty straight forward partly because you can see the checkpoints themselves up ahead. Brisban had a couple of unexpected turns.

The comparison to F1 is not as relevant though. For the F1 tracks you have the road as a guide. Nor do they ever had to worry about random trees, fences, people with guns, etc. in the middle of the track.

Archived