Scrapper+barrier+mortar

kiranslee.4829

Maybe half of all zerg scrapper builds use mortar. It's a very nice kit with long-range, tactical attacks, that can reach siege defense weapons other profession's attacks could not. Also, it triggers some rune's elite-trait when chosen/stowed. And since there is basically no train line affecting it, it's hard to tell a build from it.

The barrier is most likely from adaptive armor. This will grant you around 1.2k (1k + 10% Healpower + 15% trait) barrier every 3 seconds when you get hit. Also, condition damage is reduced by 20% while having barrier. Hammer-4 and rezzing also gives barrier. If the barrier was higher, maybe sanctuary rune was used.

What exactly is high boon uptime? One can just use HGH and Elixir-B/-U to get really long boons up. Or you choose purity of purpose and bring medikit and elixir gun. Then you can stack your boons up by conversion to absurd durations (e.g. 40s alacrity, 2min fury etc.).Healscrappers would also use monk-rune (or altruism) and minstrel gear together with alchemy, which also increases the boon duration drastically.

Summary: The details are too few to derive a build.They were likely based on a quickness- or heal-scrapper with mortar, adaptive armor and either using elixirs with HGH or purity of purpose to stack up boons.For better identification, I would need the damage output and the kind of boons that were kept up.

• 5 weeks later...

They are using Superior Runes Of Altruism plus Minstrel armor and trinkets. Upon swapping mortar kit one a sec you get 8 conditions pulled to you and you grant random boons to those you cleared of conditions. You can run around holding 0 as the mortar kit swaps back and forth apply additional healing boons and condition cleanse as you go. I have tested the build and I can run around with 70 stacks of bleeding and be alive and happy. This works best with two or more scrappers. This build requires no skill at all and in my opinion is an exploit. As long as the build is being used against you....

In Alchemy line for engineer there is a trait Purity of Purpose. When you would cleanse a condition from an ally, convert it to a boon instead.

@PeLi.5498 said:Scrapper damage build or support build ?

@"Jelly Pain.8027" said:... and you grant random boons to those you cleared of conditions ...Not random --->

Exactly, is right. And the trait shows you the same table. Thats why I said that isnt random boons> @Jelly Pain.8027 said:

In Alchemy line for engineer there is a trait Purity of Purpose. When you would cleanse a condition from an ally, convert it to a boon instead.

@PeLi.5498 said:Scrapper damage build or support build ?

@Jelly Pain.8027 said:... and you grant random boons to those you cleared of conditions ...Not random --->

@Jelly Pain.8027 said:I think this is something the developers need to look at. It takes all conditions in large scale fights and turns them into boons. Scrappers get in same parties together and the effect multiplies as they swap conditions. It is having a cancer effect in game.

The solution is dont use Altruism rune like that way. No bug, no cancer effect

@PeLi.5498 said:

@Jelly Pain.8027 said:I think this is something the developers need to look at. It takes all conditions in large scale fights and turns them into boons. Scrappers get in same parties together and the effect multiplies as they swap conditions. It is having a cancer effect in game.

The solution is don't use Altruism rune like that way. No bug, no cancer effect

That is not a solution for the top tier guilds that are exploiting the build. I wish players in this game had self control but they don't. I could teach my cat this build.

@"PeLi.5498" said:They are not "top tier" guilds if they are exploiting a bug

To be fair (and I say that as someone who has never used this, didn't even know this is a thing), I wouldn't call it a bug.The rune triggers on elite skill activation and has no ICD. Mortar kit has basically no CD either. So considering all information we have, this is working as intended.

Most likely an oversight from Anet, not keeping the mortar kit in mind when they designed this rune. But really doesn't seem like a bug.

@Kodama.6453 said:

@"PeLi.5498" said:They are not "top tier" guilds if they are exploiting a bug

To be fair (and I say that as someone who has never used this, didn't even know this is a thing), I wouldn't call it a bug.The rune triggers on elite skill activation and has no ICD. Mortar kit has basically no CD either. So considering all information we have, this is working as intended.

Most likely an oversight from Anet, not keeping the mortar kit in mind when they designed this rune. But really doesn't seem like a bug.

Should trigger with Orbital strike (F5), which is and count as elite skill. Equip the Mortal kit is a weapon swap, and count as this, shouldnt count as a elite skill.Just they configured this incorrectly

@PeLi.5498 said:

@PeLi.5498 said:They are not "top tier" guilds if they are exploiting a bug

Should trigger with Orbital strike (F5), which is and count as elite skill. Equip the Mortal kit is a weapon swap, and count as this, shouldnt count as a elite skill.Just they configured this incorrectly

Yes, it would be better if it worked like that.But still, technically equip mortar kit is the elite skill, since it is in the elite slot, while orbital strike is the toolbelt skill.

Med-Kit has the same exception, triggering on heal skill effects if you use F1 (Bandage Self), but equipping the med-kit used to trigger these runes too. They made it an exception because of that interaction, but it was never considered a bug since the coding was working as intended (triggering the effect if skill on the heal skill slot is used).

Mortar kit is the same. It is working as intended, so it is not a bug. But they should make an exception from the general rule here because of an interaction they didn't keep in mind while designing this stuff.

@Kodama.6453 said:Med-Kit has the same exception, triggering on heal skill effects if you use F1 (Bandage Self), but equipping the med-kit used to trigger these runes too.

Nope, it doesnt. F1 Yes, equip the med kit doesnt. You must be confused.Is a bug. But ofc if they decide to not fix it, then will stay with us

@PeLi.5498 said:

@Kodama.6453 said:Med-Kit has the same exception, triggering on heal skill effects if you use F1 (Bandage Self), but equipping the med-kit used to trigger these runes too.

Nope, it doesnt. F1 Yes, equip the med kit doesnt. You must be confused.Is a bug. But ofc if they decide to not fix it, then will stay with us

Read again what I wrote.I said that med kit used to trigger on heal effects by equipping the kit. That is no longer the case, but there was a time in the past it did.

It's not the first time stuff like this happened. They changed it because of that interaction for med kit. However, this was not considered a bug in the past of the med kit either. Because everything was working as to be expected from the code. They forgot to change this when they reworked mortar kit.Again, this is not a mistake in the code. Everything is working as the code is supposed to work here. It's just that they didn't think it through what they did there. Therefore, not a bug.

@Kodama.6453 said:

Read again what I wrote.I said that med kit
used
to trigger on heal effects by equipping the kit. That is no longer the case, but there was a time in the past it did.

It's not the first time stuff like this happened. They changed it because of that interaction for med kit. However, this was not considered a bug in the past of the med kit either. Because everything was working as to be expected from the code. They forgot to change this when they reworked mortar kit.Again, this is not a mistake in the code. Everything is working as the code is supposed to work here. It's just that they didn't think it through what they did there. Therefore, not a bug.

Sorry, long time since I practice seriously the english lenguage. Is something basic, but I forgot the use with "used to". You are right.And understood. Then we can say that the rune doesnt work like must work and probably they will update this (I think)

I doubt they will change the elite skill to orbital strike, since holosmiths with mortar wouldn't have any elite skill.

And seriously, this effect is overrated by far.First of all, you won't survive bleeding/burning long, if the source has any condition damage. 80 stacks of burning will melt you in 4 seconds unless you are ready to cleanse yourself. That's why this rune is best used to amplify your cleanses or counter pulsed conditions (like AC's cripple, chilling mist, mortar-fire etc.).Secondly, bouncing with a second engineer will only work with a single condition and only affecting that engineer and yourself. The regeneration stacked up in that process will be neglictable, since you already should have minutes of regenertation in a fight. You can't really target a specific condition bouncing, so it's also random. And the only useful boons for you to get by bouncing are protection, alacrity and quickness.

To summarize, the gain is only small and very situational, you need to adapt your playstyle to the rune and there is a high chance to melt yourself.So I don't think a basic mechanic, (elite activaton) should be changed and invite further bugs, just to cripple the rune's synergy with mortar-kit.

If somehow this effect is indeed considered too strong, then a rune-ICD of 20s would be also enough.

@Dediggefedde.4961 said:I doubt they will change the elite skill to orbital strike, since holosmiths with mortar wouldn't have any elite skill.

And seriously, this effect is overrated by far.First of all, you won't survive bleeding/burning long, if the source has any condition damage. 80 stacks of burning will melt you in 4 seconds unless you are ready to cleanse yourself. That's why this rune is best used to amplify your cleanses or counter pulsed conditions (like AC's cripple, chilling mist, mortar-fire etc.).Secondly, bouncing with a second engineer will only work with a single condition and only affecting that engineer and yourself. The regeneration stacked up in that process will be neglictable, since you already should have minutes of regenertation in a fight. You can't really target a specific condition bouncing, so it's also random. And the only useful boons for you to get by bouncing are protection, alacrity and quickness.

To summarize, the gain is only small and very situational, you need to adapt your playstyle to the rune and there is a high chance to melt yourself.So I don't think a basic mechanic, (elite activaton) should be changed and invite further bugs, just to cripple the rune's synergy with mortar-kit.

If somehow this effect is indeed considered too strong, then a rune-ICD of 20s would be also enough.

Agreed, if necessary then just giving every rune that triggers on elite skills activation an ICD would be totally enough. There is no need to tinker with the general mechanic here. And I didn't think about holosmith missing the elite skill if they did that change to make orbital strike the elite instead, but you are totally right, that would suck (unless they again make the interaction awkward by letting the photon forge count as an elite skill).

@Kodama.6453 said:...unless they again make the interaction awkward by letting the photon forge count as an elite skill.

Will be fun to use the power-wrench-trait, heat-valve and perma-elan for a no-CD smith access...

In my opinion, it's not even OP. Revs were able to gather allies' conditions and get resistance permanently in the old days before the corruption turned up so much.

Now we get the same feature, but only when using a rune+mortar and we don't get resistance. Also while swapping you can't do any skills with animations. Stowing mortar by choosing medkit does not count as an elite (stowing mortar by weapon-swap key does), and since hammer is bad at healing, a healer will likely have to decide between healing, CCing, burst-cleansing, and cleansing using this rune.

@Jelly Pain.8027 said:They are using Superior Runes Of Altruism plus Minstrel armor and trinkets. Upon swapping mortar kit one a sec you get 8 conditions pulled to you and you grant random boons to those you cleared of conditions. You can run around holding 0 as the mortar kit swaps back and forth apply additional healing boons and condition cleanse as you go. I have tested the build and I can run around with 70 stacks of bleeding and be alive and happy. This works best with two or more scrappers. This build requires no skill at all and in my opinion is an exploit. As long as the build is being used against you....

Sounds boring as spit. At least with the traditional build I can swap from Medi-Kit to Elixir gun to Hammer 5.

I'm actually thinking of dropping Supply Crate for Mortar Kit just to give me a chance to tag more opponents, as the XP and loot I get on my scrapper is pitiful compared to my DPS characters.

You can also run Pistol/Shield if you want to tag enemies. #3 skill has projectiles that bounce 4 times and you have the choice of going into more cleanse with Over Shield and Anticorrosion Plating (downside is dropping heals from MDF). There's more on demand cleanse with Shield on a relatively tight radius, but maybe more cleanse than needed where heals could be better. Tradeoffs!

Since noone here got the right answer to OPs question, let me show you how it is done fellow engineers:2x PistolElixier HFlamethrowerElixier BElixier UMortar

Sigil of Smoldering, Sigil of Agony ( = Bleeding and Burning at 58% )Rune of Sanctuary ( = tons of barrier and boon duration )Diviner Amulet ( Concentration is the key )

Specs:Alchemie - 2 -2 -1Firearms - 2 - 3 -3Scrapper - 3 - 3 -3

Thanks to the now owned lovely 100% boon duration, Elixier U and the proc from Scrapper's masterytrait , you are running around with literally PERMANENT QUICKNESS and ofcourse 7 other boons.So yes, you shoot 2x mortar rounds per second...each one crits up to ~2500+... kaboom

Closerange : Flamethrower + quick pistol 3+4 + back to FTEverythign else : mortar spam

The issue here is, you want to have a proper mouse that has the needed amounts of keys to allow you to JUST move your char with one hand and have the mouse always free to aim the mortar while firing all spells and skills you have on your bar. It is (as always with engi) playing a piano, but the gains are hillarious.The avg pvp match in silver league give me 40-45% TEAM damage AND heals ...yeah, that's a fun way to play indeed but you need fast fingers

Archived