How does Muddy Terrain work?

Joseph.6578

The wiki note says 6 pulses but not their interval. There is a 3s immobilize on creation, followed by 2s of cripple and 1s of slow per pulse, with a duration of 10s. Assuming cripple stacks duration, that's 12s of cripple, not likely concurrent with the starting immobilize, so 15 seconds of sort of CC, but it specifies only a 10s duration?

Help, please. My native language is English.....

Oh I was about to post in French, glad you pointed out your native language lol

I just used it and it does indeed look like 12s of cripple.Because the slow is applied every 1 second for the duration of 10 seconds.And the cripple is applied every 2 seconds.

Do you have a ranger?Cause you could of figured this out yourself by just going into the pvp lobby and testing on a Golemwhich is what I did.

If you really want your mind blown, well, nvm that's a secret, can't tell you unless you're one of us.

@EnderzShadow.2506 said:

I just used it and it does indeed look like 12s of cripple.Because the slow is applied every 1 second for the duration of 10 seconds.And the cripple is applied every 2 seconds.

Thanks for the reply, but it's not yet resolved. It is claimed that there here is a 3s immobilize at the start. It would not make sense for the cripple and slow to be concurrent (if the mob is immobilized, what additional good does cripple and slow do?) so the 12 seconds of cripple must occur after that, for a total of 15s. So what does the 10s duration refer to? I can't get 10s out of any combo of things. I understood that the slow happened concurrently with the cripple, so had no issue with it, and it doesn't contribute to the duration.

Did you measure 10s, 12s, or 15s for total duration of all the effects in series?

Do you have a ranger?Cause you could of figured this out yourself by just going into the pvp lobby and testing on a Golemwhich is what I did.

Yes, and I spend a lot of time doing just that. However, I can access the forums from a lot more devices than I can access the game, and though I just was having a brain cramp on understanding the spell. Someone would know the answer and save me the effort. It would appear to be a decent CC skill, but I still can't reconcile the timeline I draw for it with the duration statement the skill makes.

OTOH, At launch probably 70% of the mouseover explanations of the skills were wrong, so we may be have some residual ones still in game.

If you really want your mind blown, well, nvm that's a secret, can't tell you unless you're one of us.

One never knows who's one of us.......

@Joseph.6578 said:

Thanks for the reply, but it's not yet resolved. It is claimed that there here is a 3s immobilize at the start. It would not make sense for the cripple and slow to be concurrent (if the mob is immobilized, what additional good does cripple and slow do?) so the 12 seconds of cripple must occur after that, for a total of 15s. So what does the 10s duration refer to? I can't get 10s out of any combo of things. I understood that the slow happened concurrently with the cripple, so had no issue with it, and it doesn't contribute to the duration.

Edit: accidently hit post on my phone too early.

Pve: break bars have all three of those condi hit them at the same time. So it works there. Enemies without break bars (those that can actually be affected by those condi) should be dead in less than 15 seconds.

Pvp: more importantly, adding 3 condi at once means it's harder to cleanse them and escape.

In general slow and immob don't overlap like immob and cripple. Slow makes you cast slower while the other two make you move slower.

Thanks for taking the time to write an answer.

I understand the breakbar application of the skill. I understand the difference in slow and cripple and understand why they are applied both at the same time.
I believe it's a nonsense design to apply immobilize and cripple to a mob at the same time, so I had ruled that out as a beau geste to the devs. Since they would not do that, I thought I'm missed something.

I was also trying to reconcile the mouseover skill description of 10s duration and the wiki note that there were 6 pulses with cripple being 2 seconds each. Your point that it doesn't matter because they'll be dead in <15s didn't shed a lot of light on that math.

@Joseph.6578 said:Thanks for taking the time to write an answer.

I understand the breakbar application of the skill. I understand the difference in slow and cripple and understand why they are applied both at the same time.

I believe it's a nonsense design to apply immobilize and cripple to a mob at the same time, so I had ruled that out as a beau geste to the devs. Since they would not do that, I thought I'm missed something.

I was also trying to reconcile the mouseover skill description of 10s duration and the wiki note that there were 6 pulses with cripple being 2 seconds each. Your point that it doesn't matter because they'll be dead in <15s didn't shed a lot of light on that math.

It's not nonsense design to apply immobilize and cripple to the same PvP enemy. Also, Anet really tries to avoid splitting skill functionality between game modes.

So if you take the above, it sheds some light into why skills are designed a certain way: That cripple matters for PvP and breakbars in PvE (although the skill isn't exactly used that often, which is a different balance concern). They are not going to split the skill functionality and remove the first tick of cripple on muddy terrain only when it's cast on just a measly trash mob while having a second version of the skill apply cripple on the first tick to enemies with breakbars and PvP players.

> So if you take the above, it sheds some light into why skills are designed a certain way: That cripple matters for PvP and breakbars in PvE (although the skill isn't exactly used that often, which is a different balance concern). They are not going to split the skill functionality and remove the first tick of cripple on muddy terrain only when it's cast on just a measly trash mob while having a second version of the skill apply cripple on the first tick to enemies with breakbars and PvP players.

And giving 6 pulses of low value cripple for 2 seconds each, then making the duration 10s adds to the cleverness how?

Where are we at in this convo?

What part is not understood?

What's the value? It keeps getting reapplied. Do you pvp at all? If you are standing in the mud and you cleanse this, guess what, it's coming back again, and again and again until the mud is gone.

Try muddy terrain traited with a heal on a golem and notice how long that lasts. But eh, I guess nobody cares because only a few people complained.

Muddy Terrain has 3s immobilize at start, 2s cripple at start, 1s slow at start. It then pulses 2s cripple and 1s slow every 2 seconds after that. If someone stands in the field they will be permanently crippled and slowed half the time. Muddy Terrain lasts 10s. You can also get Soften the Fall trait (minor in Wilderness Survival) which casts muddy terrain when you heal. The only difference is that this one lasts for something like 18s or something. In PvE, yeah I guess this is good for breakbars... in PvP this means you can offensively use your heal to immobilize someone to set up for a burst combo.

Archived