Could you please stop making high heels and skimpy armor for females? - Page 2 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Could you please stop making high heels and skimpy armor for females?

2456

Comments

  • alchemist.6851alchemist.6851 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2018

    @Ashantara.8731 said:
    Dear devs,

    It is really hard to find armor sets or outfits for female characters that look fitting for an adventurer. This is the main reason I (almost) exclusively play male characters.

    I mean, this is GW2 and not Conan the Barbarian after all, no? ;) It would be nice to have more options to be able to dress female human and norn characters properly, namely as female adventurers and not as princesses or seductresses. :+1:

    Thank you.

    There are plenty of full armor gear for female. And it’s the right for players to choose to wear less or more - not a reason to suggest stop making a whole category of fashion.

    Go see this thread and get some ideas:
    https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/760328#Comment_760328

  • After all these years- Sorry out of all the games I have played- Most boring armor ever-

  • Fat Disgrace.4275Fat Disgrace.4275 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @StinVec.3621 said:

    @Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:

    @kurfu.5623 said:
    There is already a wide variety of styles to choose from... This sounds more like you just don't like seeing the skimpy stuff on females period.

    You, sir, are a good judge. There's a history here. Let me regale you all with tales from eons past.

    A year ago, somebody made the thread "Best Looking Medium Armor." In this thread, I threw my hat into the mix with my Deadeye (now Holosmith) and her outfit. I happen to quite like it, considering how expensive it was to make. But, immediately following this, you see the OP didn't take kindly to this post.

    As usual, I did what I always do, and stubbornly defended my choices with raw, masculine heterosexuality. This rubbed some people the wrong way, but after some banter my natural awe won people over. That or they just gave up. Except for the OP, though. You're probably wondering "why does this even matter?" Well, that thread was recently resurrected from the dead. And with it, the sleeping dogs did not let lie. After a piece of lettuce tried to kill me, I come to find a bunch of notifications. The argument had started up again, except the ideological tide has shifted. Instead of several people exchanging with me, several people are exchanging with Ashantara instead.

    As debate just entrenches people, the end result of the aforementioned three-way rebuking was this thread. Exaggerated, and out of touch with the game, written more as a declaration than an actual idea or discussion. Whether this has anything to do with the previous Red Sonja thread is anyone's guess.

    But look on the bright side. I had completely forgotten that I wrote this little diddy and had a good laugh upon reading it again.

    The OP has called me selfish for a comment I made of not wanting the Zephyrite's Festival of the Four Winds to return for fear of the experience provided in the original release being drastically altered in a new form due to incorporating changes made to the game since the festival's original release. (As a note, I do feel that the re-release that occurred after I made this comment was every bit as bad as I feared.)

    @Ashantara.8731 said:

    @StinVec.3621 said:
    The location, its atmosphere, the music and the players were very enjoyable. It didn't feel like another map and actually felt like a place. Everyone seemed to enjoy taking part in the very fun and well-made events or just roaming around having fun and enjoying the actual festival instead of what all events since have turned into; just a map in a game full of people rushing to do all of the achievements as fast as possible so they can farm the festival for gold or leave to go complete achievements as fast as possible or farm gold somewhere else.

    I feel the same about the first Wintersday and old LA before the events and activities became all about farming them for gold or an achievement to get a part toward a unique skin; playing bell choir for the enjoyment of teamwork to produce coherent songs instead of minimal effort or participation in order to farm rewards efficiently; working with a team to fight off mad toys and working together afterward to hunt for the lone decoration left standing and then celebrating when it's found and chatting and laughing about the fight instead of immediately disconnecting to go rush another achievement or farm gold; or to just stand around staring at the snow, listening to players and their instruments when they actually required effort to produce music before they were all just macro'ed songs being played that someone else scripted and non-stop begging for tips for their skill-less non-effort playing.

    It makes me sad to see that festivals aren't festivals anymore - they've become achievement grinds and opportunities for gold farming and have been for quite some time, sadly. :\ It's not just the players that turn them into grinds and farming, the 'new rewards' and achievements added to these festivals when they return that are time-limited, highly complex and require crazy event resources in order to acquire them show that ANet encourages and desires festivals to be treated as such instead of an event to enjoy with a new item that everyone can get just by normal participation in the festival.

    I guess it is a good thing that FotFW and Wintersday in old LA will never return. I'll just think back fondly on them, thankful that I will not witness their return in these times of festivals being farming and grinding instead of fun.

    That's a very selfish attitude towards those who did not get to enjoy it. I sincerely hope it will return some day.

    I will take their own comment and say it back to them with the text altered to reflect the topic of the thread they created here:

    "That's a very selfish attitude towards those who [do enjoy skimpy armor and high heels]. I sincerely hope [they will continue to make them]."

    Had they worded their request as being for them to release even more non-skimpy options than there currently are, that would be a fine request for them to make and one I would support. However, they did not word it that way and instead made a plea for them to stop making skimpy armor entirely as revealing armor is against their opinion of what all female adventurers in GW2 should "properly" wear in order to not appear as what they consider "princesses or seductresses".

    So:

    • no, I do not support their request for ending the practice of creating any more skimpy armor or high heel armor appearances.
    • had it been their request, yes, I would support a request for even more non-skimpy and high heel options being created than there currently are.

    I wonder - as they did not provide any examples of what they consider as being "skimpy", would this character not be a "proper female adventurer" due to having armor that exposes some 'skin' on the thighs and décolletage, as well as wearing boots with a little bit of heel on them?

    I do not feel that it is 'skimpy', let alone an improper female adventurer's appearance that is better suited for a princess or seductress.

    Sylvari don't have "skin"

  • StinVec.3621StinVec.3621 Member ✭✭✭

    @Fat Disgrace.4275 said:

    @StinVec.3621 said:

    @Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:

    @kurfu.5623 said:
    There is already a wide variety of styles to choose from... This sounds more like you just don't like seeing the skimpy stuff on females period.

    You, sir, are a good judge. There's a history here. Let me regale you all with tales from eons past.

    A year ago, somebody made the thread "Best Looking Medium Armor." In this thread, I threw my hat into the mix with my Deadeye (now Holosmith) and her outfit. I happen to quite like it, considering how expensive it was to make. But, immediately following this, you see the OP didn't take kindly to this post.

    As usual, I did what I always do, and stubbornly defended my choices with raw, masculine heterosexuality. This rubbed some people the wrong way, but after some banter my natural awe won people over. That or they just gave up. Except for the OP, though. You're probably wondering "why does this even matter?" Well, that thread was recently resurrected from the dead. And with it, the sleeping dogs did not let lie. After a piece of lettuce tried to kill me, I come to find a bunch of notifications. The argument had started up again, except the ideological tide has shifted. Instead of several people exchanging with me, several people are exchanging with Ashantara instead.

    As debate just entrenches people, the end result of the aforementioned three-way rebuking was this thread. Exaggerated, and out of touch with the game, written more as a declaration than an actual idea or discussion. Whether this has anything to do with the previous Red Sonja thread is anyone's guess.

    But look on the bright side. I had completely forgotten that I wrote this little diddy and had a good laugh upon reading it again.

    The OP has called me selfish for a comment I made of not wanting the Zephyrite's Festival of the Four Winds to return for fear of the experience provided in the original release being drastically altered in a new form due to incorporating changes made to the game since the festival's original release. (As a note, I do feel that the re-release that occurred after I made this comment was every bit as bad as I feared.)

    @Ashantara.8731 said:

    @StinVec.3621 said:
    The location, its atmosphere, the music and the players were very enjoyable. It didn't feel like another map and actually felt like a place. Everyone seemed to enjoy taking part in the very fun and well-made events or just roaming around having fun and enjoying the actual festival instead of what all events since have turned into; just a map in a game full of people rushing to do all of the achievements as fast as possible so they can farm the festival for gold or leave to go complete achievements as fast as possible or farm gold somewhere else.

    I feel the same about the first Wintersday and old LA before the events and activities became all about farming them for gold or an achievement to get a part toward a unique skin; playing bell choir for the enjoyment of teamwork to produce coherent songs instead of minimal effort or participation in order to farm rewards efficiently; working with a team to fight off mad toys and working together afterward to hunt for the lone decoration left standing and then celebrating when it's found and chatting and laughing about the fight instead of immediately disconnecting to go rush another achievement or farm gold; or to just stand around staring at the snow, listening to players and their instruments when they actually required effort to produce music before they were all just macro'ed songs being played that someone else scripted and non-stop begging for tips for their skill-less non-effort playing.

    It makes me sad to see that festivals aren't festivals anymore - they've become achievement grinds and opportunities for gold farming and have been for quite some time, sadly. :\ It's not just the players that turn them into grinds and farming, the 'new rewards' and achievements added to these festivals when they return that are time-limited, highly complex and require crazy event resources in order to acquire them show that ANet encourages and desires festivals to be treated as such instead of an event to enjoy with a new item that everyone can get just by normal participation in the festival.

    I guess it is a good thing that FotFW and Wintersday in old LA will never return. I'll just think back fondly on them, thankful that I will not witness their return in these times of festivals being farming and grinding instead of fun.

    That's a very selfish attitude towards those who did not get to enjoy it. I sincerely hope it will return some day.

    I will take their own comment and say it back to them with the text altered to reflect the topic of the thread they created here:

    "That's a very selfish attitude towards those who [do enjoy skimpy armor and high heels]. I sincerely hope [they will continue to make them]."

    Had they worded their request as being for them to release even more non-skimpy options than there currently are, that would be a fine request for them to make and one I would support. However, they did not word it that way and instead made a plea for them to stop making skimpy armor entirely as revealing armor is against their opinion of what all female adventurers in GW2 should "properly" wear in order to not appear as what they consider "princesses or seductresses".

    So:

    • no, I do not support their request for ending the practice of creating any more skimpy armor or high heel armor appearances.
    • had it been their request, yes, I would support a request for even more non-skimpy and high heel options being created than there currently are.

    I wonder - as they did not provide any examples of what they consider as being "skimpy", would this character not be a "proper female adventurer" due to having armor that exposes some 'skin' on the thighs and décolletage, as well as wearing boots with a little bit of heel on them?

    I do not feel that it is 'skimpy', let alone an improper female adventurer's appearance that is better suited for a princess or seductress.

    Sylvari don't have "skin"

    Indeed. I stated the word 'skin' as such to denote it not being 'skin' skin. I almost wrote (bark) in parenthesis, but thought that 'skin' would suffice.
    (I like that the glow from beneath the bark is visible in this appearance. Why have it if I have to cover it up to qualify as a proper adventurer?)

    My Dark GW2 Forum Theme - Imgur Galleries: [ Aqua - Coffee - Lime - Orange - Pink - Purple - Red - Slate - Yellow ]
    [ CSS Code ] - (Updated 2018-10-07: v1.84)


    | Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs |

  • gebrechen.5643gebrechen.5643 Member ✭✭✭

    I could live with high heels getting deleted. It's the worst design idea in games ever. No woman with a brain wears those for "fun" and especially not in a permanent combat environment.

  • male roleplaying as female characters. what do you call those? any ideas?

  • Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Avelynn.2691 said:

    @gebrechen.5643 said:
    I could live with high heels getting deleted. It's the worst design idea in games ever. No woman with a brain wears those for "fun" and especially not in a permanent combat environment.

    No one with a brain would use bows when pistols and rifles exist, yet here we are. What's your point? If I wanted realism I'd you know, go outside.

    In real life guns and bows co-existed for hundreds of years before firearms finally made bows (largely) obsolete. And just like in GW2 the reason for that is they had different utility. Guns did more damage of course but for much of their history they were slower to load and fire and less reliable - they couldn't be aimed as accurately and may not fire at all, or may backfire and injure or kill the user. As recently as the late 18th century winning a pistol duel was as much blind luck - whose gun actually fired first and hit the target - as anything to do with the persons skill. Even early guns and bullets were also harder to produce and maintain than bows, and of course you couldn't re-use the ammunition.

    Pistols and rifles were unknown in GW1 Tyria and if I remember correctly non-magical explosives of all kinds were relatively rare. Since then they've been through a bit of an industrial revolution, but we're still in the middle of that. It's possible that if we ever get a GW3 set significantly further into the future bows will be gone, but it's not unrealistic that it hasn't happened yet.

    @Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

    @gebrechen.5643 said:
    I could live with high heels getting deleted. It's the worst design idea in games ever. No woman with a brain wears those for "fun" and especially not in a permanent combat environment.

    What is amazing is that I recently found out there is a difference in what happens in reality and what happens in games. For example, in games if you wear high heels you can’t twist your ankle or run slower or get blisters.. or.... all sorts of stuff.

    It’s like, you can be smart in real life and your char wear high heels in a game at the same time! \o/.

    It's also not totally unrealistic for our characters to wear heels. Almost certainly not the best choice but not impossible either, depending on the exact design.

    In real life I'm the last woman you're likely to see in heels, partially because I refuse point-blank to buy shoes I can't run, jump or walk on uneven ground in. (As a teenager I did buy a pair of strappy stilettos because that's just what teenage girls did. At some point in my early 20's, after referring to them as "my evil shoes" for several years and looking for any excuse not to wear them I finally came to my senses and got rid of them.) But even so I have 2 pairs of shoes with heels.

    One are ankle boots with heels the full width of my foot and a serrated bottom which gives them some grip and one is a pair of wedges (where there's no gap between the sole and heel, it gradually rises up to the full height) which have rubberised textured soles to give them some grip. The second ones I actually bought for my wedding where I'd be walking on, potentially muddy, grass all day and climbing a short way up a tree for photos. I've since worn both in various situations where heels are not the obvious choice, including walking 2 miles over a nature reserve in a place very appropriately called Sandy.

    Of course they wouldn't be my first choice if I knew I was going to be walking a lot or on uneven ground (although at the moment I think they have better grip than my very worn out trainers) but if I had to I could do without any more risk of injuring myself than usual.

    Even bringing some element of realism into it I'd say it depends on the character - I can absolutely imagine some characters prioritising fashion over function, or at least compromising on 'practical' heeled shoes and managing without tripping up or getting constant blisters. And then of course there's Kasmeers approach - apparently her entire outfit is an illusion so what it looks like is entirely irrelevant to it's practicality. If she can manage an illusionary dress, and maintain it during combat, I would think a lot of characters could manage illusionary shoes.

    "You can run like a river, Till you end up in the sea,
    And you run till night is black, And keep on going in your dreams,
    And you know all the long while, It's the journey that you seek,
    It's the miles of moving forward, With the wind beneath your wings."

  • sorudo.9054sorudo.9054 Member ✭✭✭✭

    knowing that high heels are extremely rare and skimpy is subjective, i say let's add allot more high heels.
    better yet, i see absolutely no platform heels, something i desperately want.

  • Leo G.4501Leo G.4501 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2018

    @maxan.7836 said:
    After all these years- Sorry out of all the games I have played- Most boring armor ever-

    I personally wouldn't call it boring armor... Unflattering, maybe? Not complimentary?

    I dunno. To me, when making an outfit for a character, I tend to decide on a part I want emphasized (be it the butt cape, the bulging shoulder piece, something flashy or the weapons or perhaps the character's skin) then try to make the rest of the ensemble more muted so as not to overshadow the part I'm emphasizing.

    My problem is the over abundance of "emphasized parts" and dwindling pool of "muted parts". I've seen some impressive armor combos (as well as mish mash of flashy bulky bits) that tend to recycle the same pants or tops because the options for regular form fitting or minimalist stuff is small.

  • gebrechen.5643gebrechen.5643 Member ✭✭✭

    I really like the "but it's a fantasy game argument". There isn't another logical reason for high heels existing but "it's fashion", while the things you mentioned have a real use.
    "No one with a brain would use bows when pistols and rifles exist, yet here we are." Yes, bows are still around and are still used for hunting over rifles. Which means there are practical applications of Bows or Crossbows in the world, while there is not a single one for high heels in a fantasy world.
    I can live with them existing, but we don't need more of those but less. I really could see getting a lot more sandals or boots and especially more skirts, kilts, etc.

  • Leo G.4501Leo G.4501 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @gebrechen.5643 said:
    I really like the "but it's a fantasy game argument". There isn't another logical reason for high heels existing but "it's fashion", while the things you mentioned have a real use.
    "No one with a brain would use bows when pistols and rifles exist, yet here we are." Yes, bows are still around and are still used for hunting over rifles. Which means there are practical applications of Bows or Crossbows in the world, while there is not a single one for high heels in a fantasy world.
    I can live with them existing, but we don't need more of those but less. I really could see getting a lot more sandals or boots and especially more skirts, kilts, etc.

    Well what is the purpose of high heels? The only way your assumption works is if high heels serve no propose in our world. And if that's the case, what do you say to the women buying and wearing something that serves no purpose?

  • Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @gebrechen.5643 said:
    I could live with high heels getting deleted. It's the worst design idea in games ever. No woman with a brain wears those for "fun" and especially not in a permanent combat environment.

    Thank you. <3 That's exactly my point. I don't need my female characters to look like vixens but like people who mean serious business in a world full of dangers and adventures.

    @gebrechen.5643 said:
    I really like the "but it's a fantasy game argument". There isn't another logical reason for high heels existing but "it's fashion", while the things you mentioned have a real use.
    "No one with a brain would use bows when pistols and rifles exist, yet here we are." Yes, bows are still around and are still used for hunting over rifles. Which means there are practical applications of Bows or Crossbows in the world, while there is not a single one for high heels in a fantasy world.
    I can live with them existing, but we don't need more of those but less. I really could see getting a lot more sandals or boots and especially more skirts, kilts, etc.

    :+1:


    My GW2 content charts: (1) LWS 4, (2) PoF , (3) Personal story (pre-Claw Island/Orr) , (4) LWS 2 , (5) HoT, (6) Orr campaign , (7) LWS 3

  • Ashen.2907Ashen.2907 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Danikat.8537 said:

    @Avelynn.2691 said:

    @gebrechen.5643 said:
    I could live with high heels getting deleted. It's the worst design idea in games ever. No woman with a brain wears those for "fun" and especially not in a permanent combat environment.

    No one with a brain would use bows when pistols and rifles exist, yet here we are. What's your point? If I wanted realism I'd you know, go outside.

    In real life guns and bows co-existed for hundreds of years before firearms finally made bows (largely) obsolete. And just like in GW2 the reason for that is they had different utility. Guns did more damage of course but for much of their history they were slower to load and fire and less reliable - they couldn't be aimed as accurately and may not fire at all, or may backfire and injure or kill the user. As recently as the late 18th century winning a pistol duel was as much blind luck - whose gun actually fired first and hit the target - as anything to do with the persons skill. Even early guns and bullets were also harder to produce and maintain than bows, and of course you couldn't re-use the ammunition.

    Pistols and rifles were unknown in GW1 Tyria and if I remember correctly non-magical explosives of all kinds were relatively rare. Since then they've been through a bit of an industrial revolution, but we're still in the middle of that. It's possible that if we ever get a GW3 set significantly further into the future bows will be gone, but it's not unrealistic that it hasn't happened yet.

    @Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

    @gebrechen.5643 said:
    I could live with high heels getting deleted. It's the worst design idea in games ever. No woman with a brain wears those for "fun" and especially not in a permanent combat environment.

    What is amazing is that I recently found out there is a difference in what happens in reality and what happens in games. For example, in games if you wear high heels you can’t twist your ankle or run slower or get blisters.. or.... all sorts of stuff.

    It’s like, you can be smart in real life and your char wear high heels in a game at the same time! \o/.

    It's also not totally unrealistic for our characters to wear heels. Almost certainly not the best choice but not impossible either, depending on the exact design.

    In real life I'm the last woman you're likely to see in heels, partially because I refuse point-blank to buy shoes I can't run, jump or walk on uneven ground in. (As a teenager I did buy a pair of strappy stilettos because that's just what teenage girls did. At some point in my early 20's, after referring to them as "my evil shoes" for several years and looking for any excuse not to wear them I finally came to my senses and got rid of them.) But even so I have 2 pairs of shoes with heels.

    One are ankle boots with heels the full width of my foot and a serrated bottom which gives them some grip and one is a pair of wedges (where there's no gap between the sole and heel, it gradually rises up to the full height) which have rubberised textured soles to give them some grip. The second ones I actually bought for my wedding where I'd be walking on, potentially muddy, grass all day and climbing a short way up a tree for photos. I've since worn both in various situations where heels are not the obvious choice, including walking 2 miles over a nature reserve in a place very appropriately called Sandy.

    Of course they wouldn't be my first choice if I knew I was going to be walking a lot or on uneven ground (although at the moment I think they have better grip than my very worn out trainers) but if I had to I could do without any more risk of injuring myself than usual.

    Even bringing some element of realism into it I'd say it depends on the character - I can absolutely imagine some characters prioritising fashion over function, or at least compromising on 'practical' heeled shoes and managing without tripping up or getting constant blisters. And then of course there's Kasmeers approach - apparently her entire outfit is an illusion so what it looks like is entirely irrelevant to it's practicality. If she can manage an illusionary dress, and maintain it during combat, I would think a lot of characters could manage illusionary shoes.

    The guns in GW2 are assault rifles, machine pistols, sniper rifles, and the like. Not at all the sort of firearms that coexisted with bows on real world battlefields.

  • Ashen.2907Ashen.2907 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @gebrechen.5643 said:
    I really like the "but it's a fantasy game argument". There isn't another logical reason for high heels existing but "it's fashion", while the things you mentioned have a real use.
    "No one with a brain would use bows when pistols and rifles exist, yet here we are." Yes, bows are still around and are still used for hunting over rifles. Which means there are practical applications of Bows or Crossbows in the world, while there is not a single one for high heels in a fantasy world.
    I can live with them existing, but we don't need more of those but less. I really could see getting a lot more sandals or boots and especially more skirts, kilts, etc.

    Bows are used over firearms by some modern hunters as a form of sport to personally handicap the hunter, not because they are in any way more effective than a rifle.

  • Just a flesh wound.3589Just a flesh wound.3589 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2018

    @gebrechen.5643 said:
    I really like the "but it's a fantasy game argument". There isn't another logical reason for high heels existing but "it's fashion", while the things you mentioned have a real use.
    "No one with a brain would use bows when pistols and rifles exist, yet here we are." Yes, bows are still around and are still used for hunting over rifles. Which means there are practical applications of Bows or Crossbows in the world, while there is not a single one for high heels in a fantasy world.
    I can live with them existing, but we don't need more of those but less. I really could see getting a lot more sandals or boots and especially more skirts, kilts, etc.

    Yes, that’s why high heels exist in real life and real life is why it’s not reasonable for someone to wear high heels in a real life combat situation. The real life rules of physics apply and make high heels unreasonable in that situation.

    However a game isn’t real life and arguing that real life rules should apply to a computer game is ignoring that the rules are not the same. In real life a person would have to be a fool to try to shoot fire from their bare hands. Reality doesn’t allow it. However the computer reality is that my char can shoot fire from its bare hands, and it can wear high heels on combat without problems too.

    Someone can feel that they don’t want their char to look a certain way but it’s a losing argument to say that someone is not smart to wear something in a game just because it’s not smart to do in real life.

    Be careful what you ask for
    ANet might give it to you.

    Forum Guides: Images. Text

  • @Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

    @gebrechen.5643 said:
    I really like the "but it's a fantasy game argument". There isn't another logical reason for high heels existing but "it's fashion", while the things you mentioned have a real use.
    "No one with a brain would use bows when pistols and rifles exist, yet here we are." Yes, bows are still around and are still used for hunting over rifles. Which means there are practical applications of Bows or Crossbows in the world, while there is not a single one for high heels in a fantasy world.
    I can live with them existing, but we don't need more of those but less. I really could see getting a lot more sandals or boots and especially more skirts, kilts, etc.

    Yes, that’s why high heels exist in real life and real life is why it’s not reasonable for someone to wear high heels in a real life combat situation. The real life rules of physics apply and make high heels unreasonable in that situation.

    However a game isn’t real life and arguing that real life rules should apply to a computer game is ignoring that the rules are not the same. In real life a person would have to be a fool to try to shoot fire from their bare hands. Reality doesn’t allow it. However the computer reality is that my char can shoot fire from its bare hands, and it can wear high heels too.

    Someone can feel that they don’t want their char to look a certain way but it’s a losing argument to say that someone is not smart to wear something in a game just because it’s not smart to do in real life.

    Actually, I know women that can not only run in high heels, but fight in 'em, I've seen them do it. Ok, we're not talking dodging dragons or anything, but I have to laugh at "It's not practical", because while it's not, there are people that can do it, and do it often. Someone on another gaming forum once made the claim that one couldn't fight with long hair, because it would get in the way. I had to laugh, as I shifted to stop sitting on mine, since I was working as a professional bouncer at the time. It comes down to "I can't do it, so I can't see anyone else being able to either". I love the argument against fantasy too, in a fantasy setting MMO...

  • Turkeyspit.3965Turkeyspit.3965 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Leo G.4501 said:

    >

    Now make one for a male character!

    But male character's look silly in just about everything but Heavy Armor.

    Seriously, my female characters: Human Necro, Sylvari Thief, Asura Engineer, Norn Ranger
    My male characters: Human Guardian, Charr Revenant

    Ironic considering the contents of the OPs post, I'm debating creating a Female Norn Warrior wearing (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Eagle_armor) for chest and legs, wielding dual axes for that full on Nordic barbarian look! But sadly I'm not sure if I like the weapon animations on Female Norn Warrior (GS / Axe) so I may end up another Male Charr.

  • luzonophir.7134luzonophir.7134 Member ✭✭
    edited December 4, 2018

    @robertthebard.8150 said:

    @luzonophir.7134 said:
    male roleplaying as female characters. what do you call those? any ideas?

    Irony? The latest from the feminists is that males don't like female leads because they're afraid of strong female characters in video games, and yet, if you play a female character, you get posts like this. So I'd say "Catch 22", because we're damned if we do, and damned if we don't.

    well there is no irony coz a lesbian, lesbian femme, or a feminist irl can make a zerker sexy and hot female facetank spellbreaker and pwn people of all races and still reflect her feminism or being alpha lesbian/lesbian femme or being a strong woman in tyria, and even reflecting her appearance irl.

    so there is no catch 22 comparison.

  • I see the opposite.
    I got most armor skins, and I can hardly find any skimpy gear and high heels for males. And barely any for females.

    In the Saints Row games you can make a muscular man who wears a cocktail dress complete with stockings, high heels long sleeve gloves and earrings. You could also wear a dress in a few other games like some Ultimas and Fable.
    We should be able to do that in every game. Clothes should not be gendered.

  • Dante.1763Dante.1763 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Avelynn.2691 said:

    The guns in GW2 are assault rifles, machine pistols, sniper rifles, and the like. Not at all the sort of firearms that coexisted with bows on real world battlefields.

    From my understanding all of them function either with magic or blackpowder...so..theres some wiggle room. At any rate we have /magic/ in game that can reflect or bounce projectiles, which makes all those kinds of weapons just as useful as a bow, actually it can make those weapons deadly to the user. But to why this got brought up, high heels in combat situations are completely impractical and idiotic, theres a reason we dont issue women in the services high heels for more than dress uniform attire. But in a game it doesnt bother me to have heels.

    Ember Wandertooth(SB), Lucina Fallenflame(Weaver), Kianda Redpaw(Guardian), Kingslayer, Light in the Dark.
    Why Guild Wars is called Guild Wars

  • luzonophir.7134luzonophir.7134 Member ✭✭
    edited December 4, 2018

    @Dante.1763 said:

    @Avelynn.2691 said:

    The guns in GW2 are assault rifles, machine pistols, sniper rifles, and the like. Not at all the sort of firearms that coexisted with bows on real world battlefields.

    From my understanding all of them function either with magic or blackpowder...so..theres some wiggle room. At any rate we have /magic/ in game that can reflect or bounce projectiles, which makes all those kinds of weapons just as useful as a bow, actually it can make those weapons deadly to the user. But to why this got brought up, high heels in combat situations are completely impractical and idiotic, theres a reason we dont issue women in the services high heels for more than dress uniform attire. But in a game it doesnt bother me to have heels.

    you must know Macau alchemy to know the Secret of Blackpowder.

  • I don't know about but I could actually use some more skimpy armor choices, especially for medium armor. Cultural 3 chest and vigil leggings is about all you get.

    ☠ Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured? ☠

    "Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail, and they never get to try again."

  • @Ashantara.8731 said:
    Dear devs,

    It is really hard to find armor sets or outfits for female characters that look fitting for an adventurer. This is the main reason I (almost) exclusively play male characters.

    I mean, this is GW2 and not Conan the Barbarian after all, no? ;) It would be nice to have more options to be able to dress female human and norn characters properly, namely as female adventurers and not as princesses or seductresses. :+1:

    Thank you.

    Are you freeek'in kidding me? The light armor has only received one true mini skirt in 6 years and you call this game's armors skimpy!!
    Skirtpants are not true skirts and they are certainly not skimpy. If anything Anet is afraid of skimpyness for fear of what parents will say.
    My 2 cents. Oh and here is that only one true skirt for light armor.
    https://imgur.com/elZKY7R

  • Loki.4871Loki.4871 Member ✭✭

    For light armour? Sure, I think the flesh-to-cloth ratio is firmly slanted towards the flesh end but it's cloth, it's just clothing. It's not really going to stop a very large and angry ettin's club. However, this is a game where a god's been killed off, world eating dragons are around and you can fire lightning out your backside so realism clearly got off the train a few stops ago. So, is it aesthetically consistent? Sure, so who cares.
    I'm sorry if idealised depictions of the male and female form trigger you; I recommend you don't go to any museums with ancient roman and greek artwork, especially the statues.

    That being said, I've been trying to work out a skimpy look for my new revenant and man... heavy armour really doesn't have a chainmail bikini analogue, or even a leather one-I miss the old GW1 Gladiator armour. It's quite annoying because since they're a sylvari I want to see the bio-luminescence and I'm really struggling. I'll probably end up using the citizen outfit instead. Medium armour struggles too unless you're human female or norn imo.
    However, so long as it's consistent between the genders (gladiator armour's mankini was great in gw1, especially if it was dyed pink. That never got old!) I personally don't get my knickers in a twist about it, and it's not like anyone's forcing you to use them. If you have a problem with someone else dressing their doll in a way you don't like then you're the No Fun Allowed police imo.

    History lesson if it's not been thrown out already: high heels were originally for men. Specifically, men riding horses into battle because it helped keep their feet in the stirrups. Women adopted them because Reasons.

  • Batel.9206Batel.9206 Member ✭✭✭

    @Loki.4871 said:
    That being said, I've been trying to work out a skimpy look for my new revenant and man... heavy armour really doesn't have a chainmail bikini analogue, or even a leather one-I miss the old GW1 Gladiator armour. It's quite annoying because since they're a sylvari I want to see the bio-luminescence and I'm really struggling. I'll probably end up using the citizen outfit instead. Medium armour struggles too unless you're human female or norn imo.

    Have you tried the Barbaric armor? There's also the Scallywag armor, which is arguably the closest you can get to shirtless for dudes. Also, there's the Pit Fighter armor (or Flamewrath if you want added fire effects).

    fear not this night
    you will not go astray

  • Loki.4871Loki.4871 Member ✭✭

    I'm yet to hit level 80 with them yet (levlling with a friend who doesn't play regularly) and while those are good ideas I'm sad to say I've already tried all of those and they're too covering. Gladiatior top is pretty much assured at this point since it shows off the back so well where the glow is. I'm essentially after something along the lines of the light armour masquerade/winged tunic/conjuror chest piece and then apprentice because it shows off the back of the legs, so I can see the glow while I run around. Legs are currently looking at maybe orr (because it shows off the legs from the front) and maybe gladiator legs because it shows off the back skirt, but I don't care for the aesthetic. I miss the more polished (and Pit Fighter esque) gladiator armour from gw1 than the gw2's named set.

    Or I take the Common Clothing outfit and prance around with three fig-leaves and some leg wraps.

  • I personally feel we're long overdue for another light armor mini skirt. And I'm all for sexy shoes. Bring on the heels.

    But, seriously, there's a lot of variety in this game as is. Blade & Soul, this is not. I'm just not going to go around dictating what the game needs to impose on everyone due to my own preferences.

  • Hybarf Tics.2048Hybarf Tics.2048 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 5, 2018

    Some people wonder why my new main is a Revenant Ghost Rider? It's my way of protesting armors and outfits, skirtpants and trenchcoats alike, here take a look.
    1) My Revenant b4 becoming Ghost Rider.
    https://imgur.com/46lfpIR
    2) As a Ghost Rider.
    https://imgur.com/SXFnjN3
    3) Double Abbadon Sword.
    https://imgur.com/FTF5m7T
    4) Mounted on my Nightfang 2018 SE.
    https://imgur.com/RxgOR1Q
    As a ghost rider you can mount, swim and glide, also all Legendary weapons keep their effects. :o

  • Leo G.4501Leo G.4501 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Batel.9206 said:

    @Loki.4871 said:
    That being said, I've been trying to work out a skimpy look for my new revenant and man... heavy armour really doesn't have a chainmail bikini analogue, or even a leather one-I miss the old GW1 Gladiator armour. It's quite annoying because since they're a sylvari I want to see the bio-luminescence and I'm really struggling. I'll probably end up using the citizen outfit instead. Medium armour struggles too unless you're human female or norn imo.

    Have you tried the Barbaric armor? There's also the Scallywag armor, which is arguably the closest you can get to shirtless for dudes. Also, there's the Pit Fighter armor (or Flamewrath if you want added fire effects).

    I use all 3, but more the latter two than the 1st.

    The problem is, those are nice choices...for the torso but there aren't many options for the legs.

  • Leo G.4501Leo G.4501 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @KidRoleplay.3615 said:
    I personally feel we're long overdue for another light armor mini skirt. And I'm all for sexy shoes. Bring on the heels.

    But, seriously, there's a lot of variety in this game as is. Blade & Soul, this is not. I'm just not going to go around dictating what the game needs to impose on everyone due to my own preferences.

    I've actually heard people complain about the customization in B&S, it's rare to hear anyone praise it's variety. Or are you criticizing its lack of coherent theme? I wouldn't argue with you there although at some point, B&S theme stopped being asian-inspired aesthetic and became anime-hogpog which could be a good or bad thing.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.