Ascended gear problem

melkor.3018

So, i will start by saying that i'm very new, but i noticed something that doesn;t sit quire right with me, and the problem is ascended rings, necks and trinkets, how come that these three have an upgrade slot, where you can socket a gem, on exotic gear, which is supposed to be worse but ascended doesn't have it?

This creates two problems, first, it leaves something to be desired, since better gear should have all that the previous tier had and something more, this is pretty logical, and i can safely assume that every rpg game does it because this is just how upgrading works, so in my opinion no socket on the best gear makes no sense, because the best gear should have everything, socket, better stats and infusion slot.

Second, it makes jewelcrafting close to irrelevant.

And that's it, i think it's ridiculous that when you get the best gear, it leaves something to be desired in terms of stats.

@"Ayrilana.1396" said:Ascended has the stats from the gems built in.

And it's own class of upgrades with unique effects not available on exotics, even with gems slotted. It's also possible to upgrade them to add additional infusion slots for even more bonus effects.

So while strictly speaking the OP is correct that you cannot slot jewels into ascended equipment you still get the bonus of having done so (it just assumes you added a jewel which matches the items base stats) and more effects which you do get to choose.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:Ascended has the stats from the gems built in.

Yes, i know.

It;s still something that it lacks, it's just not the same feeling, yes it has the stats already built in, and it is slightly better overall, but i would like to see a gem slot, and it also makes jewelcrafting pretty much useless, so it's clearly not perfect.

@Danikat.8537 said:

@"Ayrilana.1396" said:Ascended has the stats from the gems built in.

And it's
with unique effects not available on exotics, even with gems slotted. It's also possible to upgrade them to add additional infusion slots for even more bonus effects.

So while strictly speaking the OP is correct that you cannot slot jewels into ascended equipment you still get the bonus of having done so (it just assumes you added a jewel which matches the items base stats) and more effects which you do get to choose.

There are exotic items with infuse slot, i have one myself, a ring, which is specifically one of the types of item i was talking about.

@melkor.3018 said:And that's it, i think it's ridiculous that when you get the best gear, it leaves something to be desired in terms of stats.

Here is where you have a problem. Ascended gear IS the best gear and it does have the best stats, EVEN if it doesn't have this gem slot you desire.

If I may, it seems to me it's not really the stats you desire, but the ability to get more customization in ascended trinkets ... THAT is something I can stand behind as a justification to change it but the desire in terms of stats just doesn't make sense.

I know it seems a little odd at first glace, but given time you will (hopefully) come to see that the system they have in place is indeed much better for ascended jewellery. This is doubly evident when taking into account pieces of jewellery that can be stat-reset/changed (Legendary, PvP, WvW sets).

More is not always better, Ascended Jewellery do not have the slot option exotic do, it is true, but they improved in function because of it.

@Obtena.7952 said:

@melkor.3018 said:And that's it, i think it's ridiculous that when you get the best gear, it leaves something to be desired in terms of stats.

Here is where you have a problem. Ascended gear IS the best gear and it does have the best stats, EVEN if it doesn't have this gem slot you desire.

If I may, it seems to me it's not really the stats you desire, but the ability to get more customization in ascended trinkets ... THAT is something I can stand behind as a justification to change it but the desire in terms of stats just doesn't make sense.

You made the assumption that i think i don;t know that ascended gear is the best, it is, this i has more to do with the fact that i personally wanna have on my best gear all of the sockets that you can have on exotic, because better gear should have more than the lesser tier, both in terms of stats and how you can modify them.

@Algreg.3629 said:

@melkor.3018 said:because better gear should have more than the lesser tier, both in terms of stats and how you can modify them.

According to what, the Great Holy Book of Universal Geariness?

When you upgrade gear you expect to get more or less out of it?

The whole point of an upgrade is that you get all that you had on your previous gear and more, yes it has better stats overall, but it's still lacking something that the exotic has, i don't think that is good.

Also, as i said before, what is the use of jewelcrafting if you can't use it on the best gear?There is none, which is why it's not used a lot, aside from a few things correlated to legendaries

@melkor.3018 said:

You made the assumption that i think i don;t know that ascended gear is the best, it is, this i has more to do with the fact that i personally wanna have on my best gear all of the sockets that you can have on exotic, because better gear should have more than the lesser tier, both in terms of stats and how you can modify them.

I made that assumption because you are stating a contradiction; you think ascended trinkets leaves something to be desired in terms of stats, even though it's already the best stats you can get. That doesn't make sense. The desire someone could have for wanting a gem slot in Ascended gear can't be because it's not already the best stats you can get.

I think you guys are just misunderstanding each other. It's not about "something missing", it's about the feeling it gives you and on that I will wholeheartedly agree. It felt great to slot in Ruby Orbs into my exotic gear and feel very powerful because it was a big difference. Nowadays it's "oh great, 5 more of X", which isn't satisfying at all.

So what's the solution? Reduce the stats on all ascended trinkets and add an upgrade slot so we can put upgrades in to get back to exactly what we have now? Ok it would produce a very short-term boost in the value of jewels but I'm not convinced it's worth the effort, especially since most, if not all, of them trade for well above vendor value already so it's not like they're struggling to sell.

Unless you're saying you want to slot jewels with different stats to the base item? Although even my weirder builds have never called for that. It makes more sense to put different stats on your armour or weapons...or if you want to boost them all use celestial.

@Obtena.7952 said:

I made that assumption because you are stating a contradiction; you think ascended trinkets leaves something to be desired in terms of stats, even though it's already the best stats you can get. That doesn't make sense. The desire someone could have for wanting a gem slot in Ascended gear can't be because it's not already the best stats you can get.

No, they do leave something to be desired, because you can't socket a gem in your best gear because there is no upgrade slot, that is what i'm talking about.

Games in general they are all about fun, what fun is there is slotting an item that is supposed to be the best, that has actually less customization? It's just like in wow when they removed most enchants and sockets, sure it's easier, but there is no satisfaction to it, there is no sense of accomplishment, that moment where you say wow, i got this really good item and now i also upgraded it, that's awesome, instead when you buy a ring, you are like, well, the stats are better, but where is the upgrade slot?

This is what i'm talking about.

This is the reason why i said it leaves something to be desired.

@"Blocki.4931" said:I think you guys are just misunderstanding each other. It's not about "something missing", it's about the feeling it gives you and on that I will wholeheartedly agree. It felt great to slot in Ruby Orbs into my exotic gear and feel very powerful because it was a big difference. Nowadays it's "oh great, 5 more of X", which isn't satisfying at all.

Yea pretty much, what i'm asking is, just add an upgrade slot, this will also make jewelcrafting less useless.

Yeah I don't think people reading the op appreciated what he was trying to convey.

Yeah they could have done a better job with ascended trinkets by separating the base with the Jewel and incorporated Jewel crafting. They even attempted to mimic this with some items like the berserker/Valkyrie and dire/rabid sets. If I had to guess, they were crunched for time and the easiest place to save a lot of time was not incorporating 500 Jewel crafting under the guise that getting the trinkets was exclusive to fractals/guild missions/laurels. That and the fact that it's wasted effort when the majority of players just end up running pure stat or weapon/armor/trinket stat splitting.

From a player point of view they should have done ascended/Jewel/jewelcrafting500.From a practical point of view they shouldn't waste the time on ineffectual and irrelevant systems.

Given that the ascended and infusion system has seen multiple changes (and pretty much all simplification) over the years, the feeling you are looking for was lost along the way.

There used to be 3 different socket types in ascended gear, offensive, defensive and omni. You would then have to match desired stats to the sockets since not everything would fit every where. It also made sense to have multiple similar stat rings. Red Ring of Death and Crystalline Band which are now basically identical, had different infusion slots.

Simply put: this is not going to get changed and that's a good thing. The more convoluted systems were a huge pain to deal with. The system in place now is still quite difficult to understand for new players even after multiple streamlining patches.

@Cyninja.2954 said:Given that the ascended and infusion system has seen multiple changes (and pretty much all simplification) over the years, the feeling you are looking for was lost along the way.

There used to be 3 different socket types in ascended gear, offensive, defensive and omni. You would then have to match desired stats to the sockets since not everything would fit every where. It also made sense to have multiple similar stat rings. Red Ring of Death and Crystalline Band which are now basically identical, had different infusion slots.

Simply put: this is not going to get changed and that's a good thing. The more convoluted systems were a huge pain to deal with. The system in place now is still quite difficult to understand for new players even after multiple streamlining patches.

Dude i'm a new player, iv'e been in this game for about 1 1/2 weeks, it's not hard, i'm fine with just a socket no need to make tiers of it, like defensive etc, just a socket.

@melkor.3018 said:

@"Cyninja.2954" said:Given that the ascended and infusion system has seen multiple changes (and pretty much all simplification) over the years, the feeling you are looking for was lost along the way.

Dude i'm a new player, iv'e been in this game for about 1 1/2 weeks, it's not hard, i'm fine with just a socket no need to make tiers of it, like defensive etc, just a socket.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Infusion

Rings go up to 3 infusion slots, most other items have 1, backpacks up to 2. Socket away.

If you want actually more stats than 5 per slot, not going to happen due to insane power creep that would entail.

@Justine.6351 said:Yeah I don't think people reading the op appreciated what he was trying to convey.

If I had to guess, they were crunched for time and the easiest place to save a lot of time was not incorporating 500 Jewel crafting under the guise that getting the trinkets was exclusive to fractals/guild missions/laurels.It's not that it was exclusive to fractals/guild missions/laurels. It's that the level 500 crafting was introduced only after those 3 options already existed for some time, and they were unable to think of a way to introduce lev 500 jeweller without it being completely obsolete. The already available choices were way too cheap - any crafting recipes would either have been way too costly to ever use, or so cheap it would seem to be a joke.

They still don't know what to do with that - and it's even harder now when LS3 map vendors make access to ascended jewellery even easier.

@melkor.3018 said:Dude i'm a new player, iv'e been in this game for about 1 1/2 weeks, it's not hard, i'm fine with just a socket no need to make tiers of it, like defensive etc, just a socket.There is a socket. It's just it's for other things than jewels.Also, nowadays practically noone would use a jewel different from the base stats anyway, so the change you ask for would be meaningless.

In short, what you ask for would make the system more complex than most of the players need, and it would either be useless anyway (if presently existing much easier methods of obtaining ascended accesories would remain), or it would result in a significant reduction of that gear's accessibility (if the old methods were retired in favour of the new one). And that would definitely not be something most players would want.

Archived